Start by marking “Expect the Unexpected” as Want to Read:
Expect the Unexpected

Expect the Unexpected

Dear Author,
I’m gay and thank God my best friends are okay with it. This was supposed to be a weekend with the boys, and we had my uncle’s freaking awesome house just to ourselves. Pool, lots of alcohol and my four best friends, it was going to be the perfect weekend for sure! But the thing is, three of those best friends ended up in bed with the flu since they were stupid
Published June 17th 2014 by M/M Romance Group @ Goodreads

To ask other readers questions about Expect the Unexpected, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Expect the Unexpected

Start your review of Expect the Unexpected
* A Reader Obsessed *
3 Stars

This is just how a friends to lovers story should go!

Sam has been crushing on his straight best friend for forever. Little does he know that the feelings are mutual. When a private “self pleasing” session broadcasts noisily and sexily just how much Sam wants Josh, it’s the needed impetus to push these guys to start communicating their feelings.

If you want something sweet, sexy and short, then this DRitC gem is perfect for when you need a light palate cleanser.

Enjoy!
Exina
The romance was rushed and unbelievable despite the fact that Josh and Sam were in love with each other for six years. Their full names were overused, the dialogues were unrealistic, their interactions way too sappy (beach, fireplace, playing on a piano, and singing, oh, come on!).
I skipped the last couple of pages.

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
3.5 delicious stars

This story is a sweet, chewy brownie with melty, steamy bits.

Sam and Josh have been besties forever, then Josh catches Sam with his cock out poolside, screaming Josh's name. A big misunderstanding ensues, but not for long.

Such a fun, light, best friends to lovers story. And the cherry on top? Sex on the beach, baby!
Meags
3 Stars

I found this story reminiscent of M.J. O'Shea's Things I'll Never Say... which is a compliment because I fricken adore that story.

Best friends Sam and Josh are secretly pining for one another, but it takes an awkward (but hot!) voyeuristic encounter to get the ball rolling with their romantic confessions and inevitable sexy times.

This was short, sweet and sexy - I can't ask for much more than that when purposefully reading a story under 30 pages.
Vivian
Jun 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Sweet and awkward GFY, friends to lovers story.

Ever have one of those moments you do something you'd normally never do and then get caught? Yeah…SURPRISE! Give a few points for nice embarrassing interlude and subtract a few for crappy deductive abilities on Sam's part. Plus, Sam is getting an ass whooping for his stupid stunt. I'll let Josh settle that one. Oh, and Josh gets one upside the head, too. Cute and sexy if you like doltish dudes.
Jenna
Jun 17, 2014 rated it it was ok
This wasn't bad until the sapfest at the end kinda ruined it for me. Also, the dialogue on the beach seemed a little awkward to me. I liked the setup of the story though. If sap makes you do this:

you should read it. However, if you, like me, react like this:

don't :)
Meep
A simple little story that rushes along, it all felt very teenage to me. I didn't get the holding back for six years then kaboom GFY all that time.

The characters had a weird habit of full-naming each other that felt awkward and I never got why.

There's a lot of internal thoughts oh god, oh god in italics spliced in there, I'm not a fan of that why is it so popular? and those thoughts included a strange Yoda wise voice at one point.

Also the colour is ORCHID pink --> this seems to be
Mandy*reads obsessively*
Another LL picture prompt and I think the author fulfilled the requesters wishes.

A really cute little friends to lovers, years of longing and a sneak a peek at the other while he's jerking-off and things come to a head. that was purely accidental, no pun intended, but as long as it's here! I'll just leave it. Lol
Sandi ♥'s way too many M/M books
This was just what I needed. Perfect! Sam and Josh ** I loved them ** And so happy how things as crazy as they seemed, finally came together. Thank you so much for your free read as part of this amazing group, you as always rock Lou!!!
Lucy
Jun 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Definitely an awwwww type of thing. And, I really want to check out Ricks pool!
Julesmarie
Friends-to-lovers gfy/ofy are my favorite trope combo, so it's finding one that makes me go "meh" isn't common.

Best way for me to sum up: my strongest emotion at the end was confusion over why the dogs were content to sit on the beach for hours and hours and hours and didn't wake him up to make him feed them.

Favorite Quote:
Sam must have regained some of his faculties after the shock, because he didn't let the dogs eat Josh.
Christina Marie
I thought this was cute. I love a good friends-to-lovers. So, I was really excited for this one. It started great, but then got a little (ok, maybe a lot) corny. But I always feel that way if the sweet stuff ventures too far into diabetes territory.

I would recommend if you’re looking for some quick, adorable fluff…potentially interspersed with a few eye rolls.

2.5 Stars
Pixie
Jul 07, 2015 rated it did not like it
Not for me. Too over the top with the loves and hiding out at the beach and naked swimming. I got stuff to do…DNF’d at 71%.
Sunny
aww...that was cute :D
Sandra
Cute 'lil butt (view spoiler)
Offered for FREE from the M/M Romance Group's Love's Landscapes event. Thank you too all the amazing authors who participated!

2.5 stars A 2.5 star rating from me often means that it wasn't bad or offensive to me in any way, it just didn't connect. I was kinda bored and skimmed most everything from the masturbation scene on not including dialogue. I liked the beginning up until Sam ran away, and then there were long narrative from each of them
Heather
Shelves: m-m, love-landscapes
I really liked the first 10 pages. But the communication on the beach felt off, forced, mushy.
Josh watching Sam out by the pool was hot.

I would of liked to seen more of how they work out going friends to lovers. Epilogue, well I always want one of those.
After all they did wait 6 years! Which would made them 12 when they first wanted each other? Surely they aren't over 18? I don't know.
Dee
Jul 04, 2014 rated it liked it
A pretty solid 3 stars.

This was a nice read that felt like it could've been longer. By which I mean it felt a bit stunted in areas, as if heavily edited to fit into a short story format. I don't know if it had been cut or if that's the normal authorial style but it made me feel a little unfinished, particularly as I thought the writing of Josh's evolution of feelings was very good, likewise Sam's but then the ending sort of fell flat. Not even sure I can explain why, it just did.
Trisha Harrington
Aww, that was really cute.

I have a thing for best friends to lovers and that was definitely this story. Sam and Josh were really lovely together and I was so glad there was no major angst in this. All you get is a little misunderstanding that's resolved pretty quickly and a really light, easy story. The ending was also really nice and it made me laugh a little.

Recommended if you want something short, easy and cute.
Gabi Garcia
Jun 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was perfect! And you even made gfy even if I didnt ask it, but so you know its my favorite kind of story! The boys were sweet, crazy and naughty and I loved! And I loved that Josh watched Sam that was hot! Thank you so much for writing such a great story!
dbbks3
Jun 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Cute little story that made me smile. How could they each have wanted each other since they were teenagers but gave no indication to the other, not even as randy teenage boys? Who knows and who cares. Just enjoy the moment of this story.
LostinBooks
Aug 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
I think I just don't get the GFY idea. Really? For six years this guy is "straight" but secretly burning for his best friend??? WTF?
Sanet
nice little short about friends that became lovers... two boys coming of age and getting it right :)

it needs a bit if work, but all and all a good read
Cassie Richards
Jul 11, 2014 rated it liked it
This was an OK read, fairly predictable, but interesting nonetheless. Some of the conversation between the two friends felt a bit awkward, but otherwise this was a decent read.
Rachel Emily
This was a cute, sweet story and I enjoyed it.
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Thank you Lou Sylvre for this free story and thanks to all the other authors who participated in this event.

This was super cute!
Penumbra
Expect the Unexpected was written for the M/M Romance Group’s 2014 Love’s Landscapes event. This is the story of Sam Gallagher and his best friend Josh. It’s told in third person through the eyes of both Sam and Josh.

Sam and his friends are looking after Sam’s uncle’s home for four days. Everyone except Sam and Josh catch colds. Josh tells Sam he’ll drive the guys home and will return later.

Sam decides to (view spoiler). Josh returns early
Jeanne 'Divinae'
I had started this story before and quit because I wasn't a fan of the writing style. It came across as very choppy and hard to follow. Then I came back and re-read it and pushed on... and was happy I did. One reason, the choppy writing became more smooth and easier to understand/follow as the story progressed. The second reason is because it was actually a very sweet story about two best friends who love one another but both think their love interest would never reciprocate.

I liked the two
mw138
Sweet GFY story about longtime friends, Sam and Josh. Sam has harbored feelings for his best friend for a quite a while, but when Josh catches him in a compromising position, he's mortified and fears he's ruined the friendship. Little does he know that Josh's feelings for him aren't quite as platonic as Sam originally thought.

This story had a pretty good mix of angst and fluff, but I felt as though the overall resolution was a bit rushed and forced. I liked both of the characters and rooted for
Kristan

This is a cute little story about best friends that have hidden their feelings for each other for many years, and finally get to begin a relationship together.

There was some great angst in the beginning; I'm a sucker for unrequited feelings angst. But, I feel like this story was limited because of its length. It progressed a little too sudden but the writing was good. The story setting was wonderful. Lou Sylvre is a new to me author and because of this short I'll be sure to check out
Leisha
Rating overview
Writing:
Story:
Characters:

Overall: (3.66)

~~~

Not the best Love's Landscapes I've read but pretty good - two friends left alone on a house-sitting holiday after their other buddies had to go home sick. Both hopelessly in love with one another and figuring it out through their actions.

It was nice, could do with a little work around the edges but overall I liked it :).

• Fighting Dirty (Fighting Dirty, #1)
  • Game On (Game On, #1)
Oh, here I've been on Goodreads 3 years or so and have no profile! I live in Western Washington State now, but I was born and raised in Los Angeles County, CA (Redondo Beach, Long Beach, West Los Angeles, Inglewood, others.) Books took me so many place in my mind an heart when I was a child and teen, and I've never stopped reading and loving it. I write, too, in the M/M genre, and have currently ...more