Start by marking “Sophomore Year Is Greek to Me” as Want to Read:
Sophomore Year Is Greek to Me

Sophomore Year Is Greek to Me

A laugh-out-loud high school adventure set in Greece, perfect for fans of Meg Cabot

High school sophomore Zona Lowell has lived in New York City her whole life, and plans to follow in the footsteps of her renowned-journalist father. But when he announces they’re moving to Athens for six months so he can work on an important new story, she's devastated— he must have an ult
Published April 21st 2015 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Sophomore Year Is Greek to Me, please sign up.
Sobookish I haven't read it but I'm guessing it's because in Anna and the French kiss the main character doesn't really wanna move to another country but ends u…moreI haven't read it but I'm guessing it's because in Anna and the French kiss the main character doesn't really wanna move to another country but ends up loving it and falling in love. So yeah I guess although the main character seems sceptical at first she will eventually find happiness in a foreign place (:(less)
P.S. I Still Love You by Jenny HanThe Fill-In Boyfriend by Kasie WestAll the Bright Places by Jennifer NivenSaint Anything by Sarah DessenMy Heart and Other Black Holes by Jasmine Warga
2015 Contemporary YA
253 books — 1,378 voters
Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie PerkinsIsla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie PerkinsLola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen JohnsonThere You'll Find Me by Jenny B. Jones
Study Abroad
85 books — 117 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Sophomore Year Is Greek to Me
Sara Grochowski
Meredith Zeitlin's Sophomore Year is Greek to Me is one of those perfect, light-hearted and seriously fun YA novels that, in my experience, don't come around often enough. I read (and love) many dark, heavy YA books, but I think it's important to have books like Zeitlin's to provide balance and offer something lighter.

Now, that's not to say that Zona's story is completely fluffy or trite! No, Zona's story has depth; there are some difficult themes within her story. Zona was raised by her father
Booknut
The perfect blend of quirky comedy & life lessons, Sophomore Year Is Greek to Me emphasizes the importance of family & of finding your place in the world...wherever you are.

Made all the more amazing by the main character's 'journalist snippets' (where she 'reports' on the happenings of her own life), this is not a book to be missed :)
Jen
Apr 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
3.75 Stars

This book was fun to read!

I enjoyed the setting, the characters and especially the relationships. The story-telling was done in a unique and clever way and while there is a sweet romance that develops, the main focus of the story was on Zona and her family.

This makes for a great summer read.

Michelle
Apr 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
**You can see this full review and more at Book Briefs: http://bookbriefs.net**

Sophomore Year is Greek to Me is a standalone contemporary romance that will have you smiling and laughing non-stop. It is a followup book to Meredith Zeitlin's Freshman Year and Other Unnatural Disasters , but it is about an entirely different group of characters so I truly mean this when I say, you can read this book without having read the first book. They are not related other than the school is the same (I th
Joli
Jul 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Oh how I have waited for this book! I loved the humor and story of Kelsey in Freshman Year and Other Unnatural Disasters and wanted to read Kelsey grow-up through her high school years. While this is not a continuation of Kelsey's story, meeting Zona and her friends in the middle of her sophomore year, was just as fun!

Reading Sophomore Year was like going on an adventure. I loved getting to experience Greece right along with Zona - seeing the landscapes through her eyes, trying new foods, and
Candace
Apr 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Sophomore Year Is Greek to Me is the second book I’ve read by Meredith Zeitlin. A few years ago her book Freshman Year and Other Unnatural Disasters came out and that book totally blew me away with it’s hilarity. It was a book I connected with extremely well. So I’ve been eager for more from the author. Despite this having a matching title it is not a series. It could be a companion but that’s even stretching it. Zona goes to the same school as Kelsey and we do see Kelsey very briefly in a scene ...more
Crystal ✬ Lost in Storyland
The premise to Sophomore Year Is Greek to Me definitely holds potential for laugh-out-loud moments. After seeing the comparison to Anna and the French Kiss, I went and reread some of Anna. The tone of voice and situation of both girls seem similar, and I think that readers who enjoyed Anna may enjoy Sophomore Year as well.

Zona's voice is snarky, rebellious, and a total teenager. A common voice in YA lit. The plus is that readers who like heroines along Zona's vein will be able to connect with he
Sarvenaz Tash
Oct 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Breaking News: This book is hilarious, charming, and gave me a serious case of wanderlust. I also really appreciated the realistic tone of the relationships and even the journey that the main character Zona goes through--which, like life, is not ultimately wrapped up with a bow but presented as the work-in-progress that it is.
Christina (Confessions of a Book Addict)
A charming read...perfect for summertime! Review to come.
Abby Meiers
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. I like it because the author put a lot of emotions. If the characters were feeling emotions, then you were. This is the kind of book that when you start reading it you cant put it down. This book was a really good book.
Colleen's Conclusions
Mar 05, 2019 marked it as did-not-finish
Shelves: library-ebook
DNF at 62 percent. This book had potential to be good, but it fell a bit flat for me and I started to lose interest halfway through. I'm glad I checked it out from the library.
Michelle (Undeniably Book Nerdy)
Originally posted on Michelle & Leslie's Book Picks

I really enjoyed Ms. Zeitlin's debut novel Freshman Year and Other Natural Disasters and her second novel, Sophomore Year is Greek to Me, was just as fun and fabulous.

Zona Lowell is the daughter of two-time Pulitzer winning journalist David Lowell. Following in her father's footsteps, Zona also wants to be a journalist. It had always been just Zona and her dad, because her mom died when she was born. Even though she's not as well off as her priv
Stephanie A.
I started out as reluctant to meet her relatives as Zona (great name!) was, because they sound like vindictive losers who frankly do not deserve to know her when it's finally convenient for them, but fortunately that visit was pushed to the second half so we had time to acclimate to the idea. Great choice to give us time to sight-see around Greece and explore her first couple of months of school first. I loved her dad and their tight bond, and their grumpy little Scottie named Tony.

The ice aroun
Beth Rodgers
Jul 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
'Sophomore Year Is Greek to Me' by Meredith Zeitlin was a fantastically addictive read. From chapter to chapter, I found it hard to put it down and go about my day without wondering what would happen to main character Zona next.

Zona Lowell is a high school sophomore, deeply interested in journalism, a love inherited from her father, famous writer David Lowell, of Pulitzer prize fame. She's been given the job of writing feature articles for her school's newspaper just as her father decides it's h
Laina SpareTime
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Cross-posted from my blog where there's more information on where I got my copy and everything.

(Rounded up from 3.5)

Holy cow, this was awesome. It was like little elves read my review of the other book before I even wrote it and fixed almost all the things I had problems with in that one in this one. You know, this one just worked way better for me. And I did like the first one, even with my issues! This is just... wow. I am so surprised and impressed by it. It's so funny I actually hurt my thro
Paige (Illegal in 3 Countries)
See more of my reviews on The YA Kitten!

Content warning: Zona’s friend Lilena has an eating disorder and that subplot lasts for most of the book.

Any book with a teenage journalist working on anything from the school paper to the local paper (usually as an intern) is almost automatically Paigebait. When you’ve been watching the news regularly since you were eleven and nearly went into journalism as a career, it’s relevant to your interests. It runs in the blood; my awful granny was a journalist w
Tony
Apr 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Another home run for Meredith Zeitlin. Her characters are alive and multi dimensional - in short utter perfection. As with her first book Freshman Year, the laugh out loud moments do not disappoint. Again she has an uncanny ability as an author to transport you back into high school and have you experiencing those raw and at the time,"oh so complicated emotions" as you turn every page. I literally laughed out loud when she spent her first night at pro ya ya's and conversely was choked up as I re ...more
ana
Jul 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
This one of my first non-fantasy YA novels in a couple of months, and I couldn't have picked a better book to get back into this genre. Sophomore Year Is Greek To Me is about Zona Lowell's trip to Athens, Greece with her journalist father to reconnect with her mother's large Greek family. I truly enjoyed Zona's take on Greece and her family. I loved the messages that were sprinkled throughout this novel, along with bits of quirky humor that made this book shine in its own way. I will soon be ins ...more
Catiebug
Mar 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I absolutely loved Meredith's first book Freshman Year and I loved Sophomore year just as much! I was so excited when I saw that she was writing this book and was even more excited when I found out I was getting an early copy! I loved Zona and I loved seeing her change and grow and learn about life. I loved that there was a little romance but was in no way the main focus of the store. I love how light heart, funny and fun Meredith's books are and can't wait for more.
Lucas
Jun 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Love this book! I hope she writes one about Junior year.
Rosemary Blevins
Irisheyz77
This review was originally posted on Ticket to Anywhere

Place(s) Traveled To: Athens, Greece // New York, New York // Heraklion, Crete, Greece

First Line(s): Just before the clock ticks over into a brand new year, one that is going to be completely different from any I've experienced before, my dad and I get on a plane - my first overseas flight - heading to Greece.

Whenever I plan a trip somewhere I love to read books that are set in location when I can so it was very fortuitous that not long afte

Julie Trapp
Oct 25, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 really. Zona, a high school sophomore, is uprooted from her NY home and her father takes her to Greece for 6 months. This is supposed to be a working time for dad, but Zona knows he has an ulterior motive. That would be the fact her mom, who died before Zona could know her, is Greek. When she married an American, her Greek family cut her off. Now dad wants her to know her Greek side of the family. Zona is NOT happy about this. I actually did not enjoy the newspaper asides to explain stuff.
Faiza
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I selected this book because it was kind of related to my life.I predicted it was pretty cool before i started even reading the book because of the title.I thought I would get to learn something new.
Overall I liked the book and the characters are really good. The style of the book is adventurous and fantasy.The strength of the book is that the story of this book really helps you in real life. I didn't find any weaknesses of this book.
Rossana Snee
Jan 05, 2019 rated it liked it
I loved this author's first book so much, I could not wait to read this one. The author is a great writer, but this story just didn't engage me. Too many descriptions about Greece and not enough zany events for Zona. I did like what the author did with the headlines and newspaper clippings. As for the story, it just didn't do it for me. Her first book, though, is on my "Favorite Book" shelf.
Michelle Sallay
May 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
I devoted way too much time to this before I realized it wasn't going anywhere. The voice was cute at times, but it wasn't good enough for me to keep me from thinking of better books I could be reading.
Liz
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
it moved so slowly and then wrapped up super quick.
kareulla
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved the last chapter! This book was hilarious, witty, and stress relieving! Definitely check this out!!
InnocentEverThoughts
Jan 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Makes me want to become a writer.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Madison Mega-Mara...: #3 - Sophomore Year Is Greek to Me 1 2 Jan 05, 2016 06:15AM

• Even When You Lie to Me
  • Enter Title Here
  • Oh My Gods!: A Look-It-Up Guide to the Gods of Mythology (Mythlopedia)
  • She's All That!: A Look-It-Up Guide to the Goddesses of Mythology
  • The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)
  • Wildlife (Six Impossible Things/Wildlife #2)
  • The Mythology Handbook: An Introduction to the Greek Myths
  • The Prose Edda
  • The Art of French Kissing
  • Black Tide (Matt Rowley, #2)
  • 99 Days
  • Free Lunch
  • The Egyptian Antiquities Murder (High Society Lady Detective Book 3)
  • The Wrong Side of Right
  • Blockade Billy
  • The Julian Game
  • Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: A Biography
  • Miles to Go
Meredith Zeitlin has written two books for young people (so far) and lots of articles for Ladygunn Magazine. She is also a voiceover artist who can be heard on commercials, cartoons, and TV shows (if you want to know more about that, go here: www.mzspeaks.com).

She lives with two adorable feline roommates in Brooklyn, NY, and loves talking about herself in the third person. All of which, you have

News & Interviews