Start by marking “Ancient Greek Civilization” as Want to Read:

14. The Athenian Empire
15.
Audio Cassette, Great Courses, #323
Published January 1st 1998 by Teaching Company Limited Partnership

To ask other readers questions about Ancient Greek Civilization, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ancient Greek Civilization

Mike Jensen
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An excellent introduction to ancient Greek civilization, though best heard in succession with Rufus J. Fears FAMOUS GREEKS lectures. Fears teaches the micro, famous Greek people, and McInerney teaches the macro with the people covered by Fears as a part of the overall period in Greek history. Hearing both brings a wonderful balance to the subject.
Walter
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic overview survey of ancient Greek history from Minoan Crete to Alexander the Great. Just enough of a basis to prepare for more in-depth study of specific periods, important events, wars and other developments. This is a great place to start! Jeremy McInerney is an excellent guide!
Dominique
Oct 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
I think I would have liked this course better had I literally done zero research on Ancient Greece prior to actually listening to it. This course did have a lot of good information, but it was very general and will be a great intro to the subject. I have listened to other Great Courses that deal with some of the topics that are discussed in this lecture, such as the Peloponnesian War, Greek Tragedy, Alexander and the Hellenistic Age, and Great Ancient Civilization of Asia Minor. Plus I've listen ...more
Jeff Yoak
Meh. I'm not sure if I just turned out to be less interested than I had suspected or if the material really just wanted very gripping, but I made it through the first third pretty quickly and during the second third it started to get longer and longer before I was motivated to listen to the next lecture. I just happened upon my "currently-reading" list at goodreads and realized that I had forgotten that I still hadn't completed the lecture series. It is time to let go. I doubt that I'll pick thi ...more
John Doyle
Nov 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
The times of Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle represent the end of the period covered by these lectures. The social and historical context for their contributions to Western Philosophy developed over a period in Greek history at least four times longer than the distance in time between ourselves and the American Revolution. The scale and richness of the cultures in Crete, Mycenae, and Ionia that preceded Athens lessens the sense that the Athenians' ethical, political, and scientific impulses were ...more
Jim
Mar 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A series of lectures on ancient Greek "civilization" rather than ancient Greek history is so much more interesting. The professor is free to jump around the whole culture. He talks about everything from philosophy to economics to war to the different roles of men and women in Greek society. It never gets boring because the topic varies so widely.
Alcibiades
Nov 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very good course, informative and insightful, refreshed my memories of the stuff I read a decade ago and in the same time brought to me a bunch of new perspectives about the Ancient Greek life. It's a very good starting point for anyone who's interested in the subject.
Lamadia
Jan 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Greek history is my favorite era of history, so I already felt like I knew a good amount about Greek history. This lecture series still had plenty of things new to me and added nuance to stuff I already knew. It was engaging and was just the right speed.
Tom
Jun 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Not light, nor for the casual person, but McInerney knows his topic and communicates clearly and effectively...
Mara