Start by marking “150+ Screen-Free Activities for Kids: The Very Best and Easiest Playtime Activities from FunAtHomeWithKids.com!” as Want to Read:

Bring back playtime, all the time!

Dive into a Bubbling Swamp World. Drum on an Outdoor Sound Wall. Explore the gooeyness of Glowing Slime.

With the one-of-a-kind projects in 150+ Screen-Free Activities for Kids, your family will rediscover the spirit of imaginative play! These fun activities help develop your child's creativity and skills--all without a screen in sight. F
Published November 1st 2014 by Adams Media (first published October 3rd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about 150+ Screen-Free Activities for Kids, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 150+ Screen-Free Activities for Kids

Start your review of 150+ Screen-Free Activities for Kids: The Very Best and Easiest Playtime Activities from FunAtHomeWithKids.com!
Regina
Feb 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: homeschool
This was a quick read. Asia Citro has taken some choice gems from her website and condensed them into an easy to use book. It's essentially a cook book for making your own play substances like slime, paint, and play-dough. She has some good suggestions and a nice list of resources in the back. I also like her "troubleshooting tips" after each recipe. Very helpful. We will definitely be trying some of these.

I do think it's important to highlight though that before you feel bad about yourself for
Erin (Mrs. Mother Dirt)
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: parenting
Roll up your sleeves and stock up on corn starch, these are great activities. Not only are these activities science based, they teach colors, math (measuring ingredients), engage fine motor skills, and use common household ingredients that are non toxic and even some which are taste safe. Well worth the read, especially for weekend or rainy day fun.
Allie
There are some straight-up awesome ideas in here. So many are applicable for library programs, and others I'm just going to tuck away for babysitting. I really like that there are lots of taste-safe slimes, doughs, and paints -- all well coded about the possible allergens and other things you might want to avoid. There are plenty of extension activities excellent troubleshooting for what might go wrong with the slimes and doughs.
Kandice
Nov 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: child-rearing
I love this book so much! I've had it checked out from the library since January. I would renew it until my renewel limit was up, then return it and ask the librarian, "Has anyone reserved it? If not, I'd like to check it out again." Thank God for multiple copies!!

So I just ordered it for myself for Mother's Day (you're welcome, hubby/children). How thoughtful of me! I'm so excited for it to arrive because I won't worry about getting it dirty while making a batch of slime. I can make notes in it
Alisha Bennett (Sheppherd)
Feb 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a fantastic book with recipes that actually work. Most don't require a lot of ingredients and are relatively inexpensive. My daughter is 10 and we still found ourselves fascinated by the ocean world, fizzy dough and polka-dot slime recipes. The instructions are straight-forward and the "Tips" included are very helpful. While some of these activities are for younger kids; there are a lot that I think would appeal to kids of almost any age. What kid doesn't like playdough? Or glow in the d ...more
Meredith
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Lots of great ideas and well illustrated with photos. Budget friendly!
Sadina Shawver
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: home-nonfiction
I was gifted this book by a coworker from my last library when I moved and it has become one of the best resources I have for my Crafternoons. Even when I don't think a craft or activity is exactly what I'm looking for, I can usually bounce it off my new coworkers or Pinterest and come up with the perfect alteration. Caregivers are always pleased with the edible playdohs and the kids love the various slimes I come up with. 10/10 would recommend to any other Children's Librarians out there.
Danielle Robertson
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid-lit
This is a terrific resource for parents of babies(maybe), toddlers, and ESPECIALLY preschoolers. Due to doggies and carpet and an OCD hubby, I am personally hesitant to do the slimes, doughs, and paints ideas (which feels like at least 50% of the book). Once my son is 2 years old I think it will be less of a disaster to try those messier forms of play and I will use this book as a checklist and look forward to trying every activity in here.
Beth
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is filled with many creative ideas on ways to engage babies, toddlers, and children in open-ended play from the comfort of your home. I appreciated how she categorizes the activities/recipes for homemade goops/playdoughs and highlights if they are taste-safe for babies that still mouth everything. I'm looking forward to integrating a few of these ideas immediately and others as my baby and toddler grow up.
Tina
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
My friends with toddlers need to check out this book! I love these ideas for interactive, creative and (easy to clean but) messy play. Includes recipes for slime, dough and finger paints (many of which are taste-safe!), "small worlds" and DIY toys. Clear instructions and lots of explanatory pictures make this book a real winner!
Jacinda
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Essentially a cookbook of recipes for playdough, gloop, slime and paints but with lots of ways to vary the play and ingredients (lots of taste free and allergen free alternatives for example). I particularly liked the explanation on how to encourage small world play which is where our play is currently heading.
S
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My kids enjoyed reading & following the recipes for these homemade craft items. Some were cost prohibitive (the girl playing with a Rubbermaid full of the moonsand must’ve had a $100 budget) but this was perfect for hot summer day ‘what should I do inside’ time. Great sensory exploration for SPD kids. ...more
Heather
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mama-resources
What a wonderful compilation of creative ideas. Of course there are some of the typical ideas, but there are so many great new ones as well. My favorite chapter was "Small Worlds" - I know the boys will love them!
Justin
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
There weren't too many activities I liked here. "Screen-Free Crafts Kids Will Love: Fun Activities that Inspire Creativity, Problem-Solving and Lifelong Learning" had much more activities I liked, though was still pretty sparse.
Krysta
Dec 05, 2019 rated it liked it
A large part of the book is different slime recipes, dying different foods different colors, and instructions on how to make "small worlds" like dinosaur world, etc. I was hoping for great variety and more activities that I haven't already seen online.
Maria
May 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
Was looking forward to some more innovative ideas than making playdough and slush etc. and away from getting my hands dirty, but there were still some worthwhile ideas here.
Danica Midlil
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
SOOOOO Good!
Jessica Nekuda
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
pretty awesome ideas! options for budgets too
Llbauer
Good for under 6 crowd. Cute ideas. Some were very repetitive.
Rachel
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
The mini-world setups look fun--the penguins in ice, the dinosaurs with the erupting volcano. I was surprised that the book consisted almost entirely of recipes for slime/foam/play sand, etc.
Lauren
Feb 02, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well Organized

Nicely presented-but nothing new here...just about everything presented can be found on Pinterest. I was hoping for something unique and interesting.
Trish
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
There are lots of fun ideas to do with your kids.
Marlena Grace
Really exciting and entertaining activities. All the kinds of things I wanted to do when I was a kind (and would rather do than be an adult).
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: youth-activities
Good mix of sensory activities
Ann
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
More like different recipes for things to play with rather than activities, but I did love it.
Ida
Jun 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Nice illustrations and well organised but you can pretty much find everything on Pinterest.
Sandi
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: homeschool
Great book! We borrowed from a friend and instantly feel in love with the book. Activities are simple and fast but lots of fun for my kids (7, 5, and 3 all boys). Even the beautiful photos capture the attention of my sons and they are flipping through the book requesting to do various activities.
Martina Dewey
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perfect for school projects

This book will be a perfect compliment to school projects. It will also be great to have on hand when it is too cold to play outside. God bless this author and her willingness to share.
Gabrielle Schuffert
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book has great activities for kids of all ages! I have a 7-month-old who is very active so these were great to introduce to him slowly. I like that Citro presents the activities as being Taste Safe, Gluten Free, Dye Free, etc. so that its easy to choose appropriate ones for my little guy. I also like that she gives advice on extending playtime; starting with introduction of the activity (say its cloud dough) and then when you notice your child getting tired of it, giving them a shovel or cu ...more
Jamila
Apr 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
This a great book for parents, educators, and librarians who seek accessible and interactive activities for children. Instructions are clear and images are colorful. I just have two critiques.

1. There are too many wet activities and not enough dry ones.
2. There is no way to search the book for activities by age. I am currently only interested in activities for babies.

Despite those criticisms, the 150+ screen-free activities are open-minded so children and adults can use their imaginations to exp

• Cobra (Reapers MC #8)
  • Daybreak (The Days of Redemption #1)
  • Baking Class: 50 Fun Recipes Kids Will Love to Bake!
  • Sticky, Chewy, Messy, Gooey Treats for Kids
  • Ray of Light (The Days of Redemption #2)
  • The Beautiful Ones
  • Eventide (The Days of Redemption #3)
  • The Joy Journal for Magical Everyday Play: Easy Activities & Creative Craft for Kids and their Grown-ups
  • Mini Miracles (The Church Dogs of Charleston #1)
  • From Blood and Ash (Blood And Ash, #1)
  • I Want My Hat Back
  • Booger (Reapers MC #3)
  • State of the Union: A Marriage in Ten Parts
  • Together
  • Bad Liar (The Reed Rivers Trilogy #1)
  • No Matter What