Start by marking “Neworld Papers: The Historian's Tale” as Want to Read:

Neworld Papers: The Historian's Tale

(Neworld Papers #1)

CYGNUS AWARD FINALIST
DANTE ROSSETTI AWARD FINALIST

Neworld Papers is brimming with action, adventure, and a touch of New Adult romance grounded solidly in thought-provoking science fiction.

Is revealing the truth worth the disruption of a society?

Fallon lives in a peaceful world that has no concept of war, or murder, or even love. It is a society that prohibits histories and
Published August 10th 2013 by iPulpFiction.com (first published June 20th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Neworld Papers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Neworld Papers

Start your review of Neworld Papers: The Historian's Tale
Brittany
Check out my blog to see Reviews of Books and Movies as well as Recipes and DIY projects

The Historian's Tale is written by K.B. Shaw and is the 1st Book in the NeWorld Paper Series. This is a sci-fi/fantasy book filed with intrigue and highly imaginative story telling. The book is based around a man on the brink of 18 named Fallon.

The Historian's Tale paints a world that operates with little to no emotion and a plethora or rules and order. Children come about based upon contracts which decide
Scott Spotson
I was excited by the first one-third of the book. Fallon is a young man coming of age. He's raised in what seems to be a boarding school and is aware of spying going on outside his school. He learns of his first hints of a repressive regime and a counter-revolutionary movement that purports to spread "the truth." Then he's adopted by a woman who seems neutral on the surface but in reality is a member of this counter-revolutionary movement. She explains that there's a quest, and the less he ...more
Susan Reeves deMasi
Received this one in a free giveaway and was therefore a bit surprised that it was quite good! :-)

Good points: Writing style; very interesting plot.

Not-as-good points: Dragged a bit in the middle. Could have used more details/backstory about their world, particularly the "Council". Some of the technology seemed pretty far-fetched.

Overall, an enjoyable read!
Anthony Messina
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A new favorite

A powerful tale of science fiction that seems all too real. Great characters, great writing, great premise, a new favorite.
Wendy C
Aug 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Historian's Tale (Neworld Papers #1) by K.B. Shaw

In the story The Historian's Tale (Neworld Papers #1) by K.B. Shaw we meet Fallon, who has lived at a school called the Mount his entire life. He was raised at the Mount as a ward, and he was a servant for the school. Fallon received a good education by hiding behind the walls and listening to classes that interested him. He also took the final tests in the classes under an assumed name and usually received the highest grade.

Fallon had
Rabid Readers Reviews
Neworld Papers Series 1: The Historian’s Tale is told from Fallon’s point of view. He is someone who has experienced little and sees everything with fresh eyes when partnered with his counter-culture friends. He is a chronicler of the experience, a true observer. There is wonder, excitement, fear, and infatuation in Fallon’s narrative and they all remain somehow distant from Fallon the character. He is relaying what he sees and conveying what he feels. His experience with Aidan is a story ...more
Budd
I received the book as a review copy. I am usually skeptical of self published works, but I have read an earlier novel of Shaw's as well as the short story that he expanded this novel into. So I knew he was capable of delivering a good story and he didn't let me down here. He does a pretty good job of creating this society with its strange rules. He shows some world building skill in the part of the book where they explore the basin, and I imagine/hope that would be further developed later in ...more
Aimee Roseland
Sep 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great story! I was totally captivated and kept coming back time and again to read "just a few more pages." Finished this book in a day and half!

This author was able to immerse me in the world he created, and with such rich detail! Never felt monotonous, and I'm the first to complain about the "endless vistas" type of writing, where every little unimportant detail is stuffed in and drags the pace down.

The world is awesome. The mystery is compelling. The characters are believable. The
Mary
Jun 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the beginning of Shaw’s novel we learn that Fallon, the main character, lives a society very different from our own. It seems pre-industrial, with gas lamps and horse-and-buggy transportation, but there are hints that the people may not be completely enlightened about their own world.

As Fallon comes of age—in a culture that licenses relationships but doesn’t talk of love—he learns more about his world and about himself. He joins a group called Solarists and undertakes a dangerous descent
Ella
Aug 22, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Historian's Tale was a well-crafted and interesting read. I found myself feeling as if I were Fallon at certain points. Kudos to the author for creating a world that was a mixture of past and future and present all intertwined together without being either too technical or too fanciful. K.B. Shaw achieved a perfect balance between the two. I can honestly say that if there were a sequel to The Historian's Tale I would purchase it with no hesitation.

I received this book for free via a
Reba
Oct 10, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was much more readable then I thought it would be. Overall, I liked this, but I don't know how to classify it. I think middle-grade would like it, but then it has unexpectedly mature sexual content. It seemed overly long for the neat way it wrapped up, but I think there is a sequel planned. Since I've already invested over 500 pages, I do plan on reading it, but I hope it doesn't become a series that goes on for too long.
Jeremy Reppy
Oct 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
History in progress
Life on Neworld revolves around the Fount of Life, the source of life and where the kon (soul) goes at death. However, not everyone believes that the Fount of Life is the mystical place it is claimed to be or that Neworld is all that exists.

**SPOILERS**

Fallon is an orphan and servant at the Mount, a boy's boarding school, but he has two special talents: (1). He remembers everything he sees and hears; and (2) he can accurately draw anything he sees. He is purchased by Missus
Susan Lichtfuss
Dec 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Imaginative and fun

Great characters, lively action and intriguing plot. This is great fun and wonderful escape reading. Very creative and unique. Love this one and can't wait to start the next!
Renee Deschamps
Aug 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
On Goodreads, in a group called RI & R, which introduces new authors to the world, you are given the opportunity to receive ARC's, (advanced readers copies) of books in exchange for honest reviews.

I was given the chance to read KB Shaw's "Neworld Papers". It is the story of Fallon, who is blessed to be able to see something once, and recall every aspect into drawings at a later date.

I'm not sure how to explain this book differently than the blurb, which grabbed my attention to begin with.
Shee Reader
Dec 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Exciting YA world of discovery and adventure.
Fallon lives a very sheltered life as a ward of the state as a servant in a residential school. He is about to reach adulthood when he is ripped from his quiet, safe, solitary life and embroiled in a subversive group who intend to overcome the ruling structures. Fallon had secret talents that make him very valuable indeed. He can recall any memory in exquisite detail and draw an extremely accurate and detailed account of what he saw.
Then follows a
Romina Ramos
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
THIS IS ONE HECK OF A RIDE

From the deepest of my heart, I want to express my gratefulnes to the author, KB Shaw for producing such a magnificent work!

Neworld Papers: The Historian's Tale is one hell of a ride. This might be big. This might be a catalyst to an idea worth dying for!

I can feel the curiosity, the euphoria of discovering, the madness for knowledge and power, the agitation, the imperfection of the utopian society - I can feel it all in the book.

I hope it can make its way to
Romina Ramos
Nov 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
PERFECTLY CRAFTED

This sci-fi is perfectly imagined -- no flaws in the plot. This is not just for kids, it caters to the general audience. The story gives an absurd lesson that is relatable to all of us in earth. I remembered a popular quote from Aristotle: "The more we know, the more we know we don't know."

I appreciate that the book has not become something like The Hunger Games where a certain hero figure needed to be established just so the revolution could succeed. I was in awe to experience
Randy
Jul 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fallon is a young man about to celebrate his eighteenth annum. He will be free then. But he's sold to ab old woman and taken out when copies of the Solarist Papers are found in his quarters. That he knows nothing about the heretical words make no impression on the headmaster of his school.

Once away, he learns the truth. He's wanted for his talents: his artistic ability, his ability to take one look and be able to draw exactly what he saw at any later time.

Fallon also learns disturbing truths
Ottilee B.
For Sci-fi enthusiasts.

It has taken this reader two weeks just to read a bit over one-third of the Warrior's Tale. True, it has now become more interesting than the beginning but "more interesting" is a relative term. I kept nodding off as I read it!

I felt back in my history class as I read of these people whose ancestor's came from a place called Earth. Violence, love had been bred out of these people to make for a better society, but human nature reared its ugly head: they are being oppressed.
Angel Hatfield
Aug 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
*I received a copy for an honest review

Like so many other books coming from this genre over the past few years, this book takes place in a futuristic, segregated world, with the main character living a life of servitude. almost right from the beginning, the author give you hints of a revolution being born and the potential participation of the main character.

The author does a good job of making the world not so different that your brain isn't spending a lot is time having to recreate a totally
Jennell Peterson
Loved it

I loved this book. It kept me hooked the whole time. It wasn't the most challenging read, but I was entertained.
Susan Lichtfuss
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous and captivating

Love the plot and characters. You really cheer for them. This is a unique story but has all the elements of a good action adventure.
Roger Schulz
Sep 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good book

Good book with an interesting story. Looking forward to reading more of the series. Keep me interested throughout. This is a good read
Lauren
Hayley
Aug 31, 2018
Gail
Dec 28, 2016
Read 4 Review: Neworld Papers Series 1: The Historian's Tale 3 22 Jul 11, 2013 06:54PM

• Iron Legions (Soldiers of Tomorrow #1)
  • Who Killed Anne-Marie?
  • The People's Republic of Amnesia: Tiananmen Revisited
  • Escape Clause (Murder Off-Screen #1)
  • The Tunnel Runner
  • Book Review Banzai: The Unknown Author's Ultimate Guide to Getting Amazon Reviews
  • Moneyland: Why Thieves and Crooks Now Rule the World and How To Take It Back
I grew up in small Wisconsin towns. Due to my father's work, I attended two grade schools and three high schools. I have fond memories of each.

I have always loved reading science fiction. In fact, the first book I remember checking out from the library on my own was The Enormous Egg by Oliver Butterworth. When I was a little older, it was André Norton's Catseye.

The first book I ever bought from