Start by marking “Property of a Lady Faire (Secret Histories, #8)” as Want to Read:
Property of a Lady Faire (Secret Histories, #8)

Property of a Lady Faire

(Secret Histories #8)

The Secret Histories novels deliver “a terrific, adventurous blend of genres...[and] high-octane heroism,” (SFRevu) wrapped up in a thrilling and dangerous supernatural world that only New York Times bestselling author Simon R. Green could dream up....

Call me Drood, Eddie Drood. Some know me as Shaman Bond and most simply don’t want to know me at all. For centuries, my fa
Published June 3rd 2014 by Roc

To ask other readers questions about Property of a Lady Faire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Property of a Lady Faire

Kathy Davie
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Eighth in the Secret Histories urban fantasy series and revolving around Edwin Drood, a secret agent who rarely plays by the book.

My Take
As crazy as ever — how Green manages to think up such out-of-this-world characters and these scenarios…

Using first person protagonist point-of-view, it’s Eddie’s perspective all the way, as he and Molly continue to confound the family and grow their relationship. And Green keeps adding to the cast of Droods.

The theme is vengeance. So many want retribution for m
Dru Pagliassotti
Jul 14, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I liked Green's old Hawk & Fisher series, with their strong AD&D feel, and his Nightside series has had some emotional strength, but the Drood series is utterly stale. Everyone is super-powerful and super-rich and never particularly suffers, and tension is built primarily by the characters telling each other how much danger they're in even though they're the toughest creatures in the world. Jokes and one-liners are repeated as though the author didn't remember he'd just used them a few c ...more
Ed Nemo
Jan 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Simon R Green continues the story of Eddie Drood and the Wild Witch, Molly Metcalf. Once again declared rogue, Eddie and Molly have to get back a piece of super tech to satisfy the blackmail whims of a new enemy.

I always love Green’s writing. Here he combines a grand list of interesting side characters and super violence. A little humor is always the tipping point with a book like this, and Simon R Green delivers.

Great Stuff!
Chris
Nov 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars. Ok continuation of this series about supernatural enforcer Edwin Drood and his complicated relationship with his extremely large and secretive family. The next book in the series doesn't come out until sometime in 2015, by which point I won't remember anything in the ongoing story arc. :)
Sterph1
Jun 18, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not to offend the fans, but think when it comes to a series (ok, most of them) you've all been where I am now. Short version of the life of a series for a reader/fan = 1. like/love 2. Bloom off the rose but continue to read because still care or just plain curious. 3. Still read but really more of a "skim" just to see where it's going (like reading family newsletter of people you care about but haven't seen for years). 4. Give up on the series and move on.
Caught myself skimming Book #5. Book #8
Darren
Jun 09, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Where other books in the series were leading up to something, this book felt a little pointless to the overall story arc. The writing was no different, the characters were no different, but I was, I hate to say it, bored.

I generally love Simon R Green's books. I started off reading The DeathStalker series and moved on from there. I'm hoping this particular title is just an interlude and following books will get back on track.
Chris Bauer
Jun 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not much to say here. If you're a fan of the series you MUST read it. If you've never read about the fantastic Drood clan, start in an earlier work or else much of the tension, background, inside-jokes and other aspects will go right over your head.

"Property of a Lady Faire" has everything one would expect. Plus some genuinely touching moments and an unusual sense of paranoia.
Jeremy
May 18, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A lot of the same old. It was a fun quick read that occupied a couple hours, but honestly these books follow the same basic plot with the same old writing style. Everyone is rich and powerful, but Drood armor is just a bit more powerful.
David
Nov 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Typical fun SR Green trip down a dead end street at 100 mph. Molly Metcalf, the witch of the wild woods and Eddie Kick some ass and take supernatural names! Fun.
Traci
Jan 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good old Eddie Drood and his crazy family. Can't wait to get to the next one!
Christoph Weber
I quit reading the series a while back. Then I saw new books, and I figured "why not continue?" Now I know why: it's just not that good, not anymore.

A third of the book is spent on details to get every ready up to speed on what's happened in the many books before and how everything works. Another third seemingly is filled by repetitions of no-too-funny jokes and lines. "Why do you keep asking me questions you know I cannot answer?" Why indeed, Eddie Drood? Why indeed, Simon R.?

My heart aches whe
Jason Hardin
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another funny and interesting Eddie Drood story. As always I love the James Bond, rebel aspect of the Secret History books. This coupled with the banter back and forth between Eddie and Molly makes for an enjoyable read.
Jeff
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Another great story, fast-paced in the Drood world, exposing secrets and trundling along a steam train through Siberia enroute to the Lady Faire celebration. Molly the Wild Witch & paramour of Eddie, adds her touch toDrood family and the adventure.
Chianna
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting and entertaining. Will read more!

(Audio book has a great narrator)
Breane Ross
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great Secret Histories book by Simon Green. Really love Eddy Drood and Molly the witch. These characters rock! Way to go Mr Green!
Will Myers
Jun 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Simon R. Green. Around here, we call his work (Nightside, Secret Histories, the series about the Carnacki Institute) "enjoyable fluff." Although the books are relatively long, they're an easy read because there's not much braining to be done.

So, once again, Eddie and Molly are accused of doing something wrong and only they can save the world! Essentially. There's a new, but old, villain, a new MacGuffin to catch, and a new location to be reached. All-in-all, good fun.

Here's my main issue
Dan'l Danehy-oakes
The problem with reviewing a series book is, how much context do you put in for those who haven't read any of the series? And the answer her, I think, is the heck with that, if you haven't read any of the other "Secret Histories" novels, you aren't likely to start with this one.

So Eddie Drood comes home from a reasonably successful mission to find that his grandmother, the late Matriarch of the Droods, has left him a bequest. In the meanwhile, the Merlin Glass is acting strangely. And someone ha
John Parungao
Eddie Drood has just been declared rogue by the Drood family. It nust be Tuesday. In this latest book Eddie Drood and Molly Metcalf have been blamed for the massacre of the Department of the Uncanny, but they didn't do it. The party responsible has Eddie's long lost parents captive, and will release them if Eddie and Molly will recover the mysterious Lazarus Stone. The current owner of said stone is the mysterious Lady Faire. The search for the stone and for the Lady Faire is the maguffin which ...more
Aidenmorningstar
seriously substandard work from Simon R Green, whats worst in the series is the hypocrisy, Eddie regularly claims how Droods protect humanity and supernatural bad guys from pushing their weight yet Eddie waste no opportunity to bully ordinary people through his armor or stop Molly from doing so or after seeing human statues in ice self righteously commenting some one will pay while conveniently forgetting drood them self do worse to their intruder by turning them into scare crow about them Eddie ...more
Edward
Jun 24, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Simon Green has written several series but lately has concentrated upon two; the Nightside and Secret Histories which are both set in the same fictional universe. This book is the latest of the Secret Histories series where Eddie Drood (aka Shaman Bond) is caught up in another adventure with his main squeeze Witch Molly Metcalf. This time the two are framed for a series of murders and told if Eddie wants to see his parents they must find the Lazarus Stone.

The book has devolved into a number of
Harris
Jun 03, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Look, it's Simon R. Green. If you've been reading him this long into the series, you know exactly what you're going to get. Honestly, it's kind of hard to take the books seriously because there are never any stakes for Simon or Molly. Neither of them are ever explicitly in danger. They're both so insanely overpowered that it's hard to take any threats seriously, no matter how much build-up they get. Molly's magic and Drood's deus-ex-machina (er, I mean his torque) are the "win" button; no matter ...more
Meredith
A solid adventure in the Secret Histories series - the retrieval of the Lazarus Stone. And while both Eddie's parent's and the death of Molly's parent's are referenced - frequently - it's mostly just tantalizing mentions without actually moving those plots forward

Gideon Emery's voice for the Inspector Detective is particularly (and deliciously) chilling.

One frustration with the book is that we get the same thing/people described in detail two or three times - as if Green (and the editors) forg
Christopher D'Amico
One of the latest in the Secret Histories series, Lady Faire does not disappoint. With lots of madcap action and jibes thrown faster than punches, Eddie Drood and Molly Metcalf blast and banter their way through the opposing forces. But this time, some of those forces don't seem to mind as much as the others. What happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object? And when that object is a whole army of them?
Metagion
Jun 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once again a great read, but a little slow going. I thoroughly enjoy reading about Eddie Drood & the Wild Witch Molly Metcalfe, and will miss them when the series wraps up...

What would you give to bring back someone you loved? Would you betray your family? Your country? Would you kill? When Edwin "Eddie" Drood, the World's Best Secret Agent is blamed by his family for the deaths of everyone at the Department of the Uncanny (including the Regent of Shadows, Eddie's beloved Grandfather) it's u
Chrys
Aug 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favourite series of books, Simon R. Green makes me laugh every time. I've read some reviews that say it's all a bit formulaic, but to my mind it's very redolent of the original 007 films. We learn a bit more about Eddie and his family each time, and are drawn into the web. There is a bad guy (or 10) a lot of fighting and some brilliantly imagined characters - I loved the Lady Faire, a very sinister siren. Very entertaining and great fun, and nicely linked to the Nightside books ...more
Nicole Gozdek
Normalerweise bin ich ja ein echter Simon R. Green- und Eddie Drood-Fan. Doch leider konnte mich der neueste und insgesamt 8. Band dieses Mal nicht ganz so überzeugen. Das ganze Hin und Her zwischen seiner Familie und dem Department of Uncanny, zu denen er inzwischen eigentlich beide nicht mehr gehört, fängt an mich zu stören. Auch hat mich die Lady Faire, um die es am Ende ging, als Charakter nicht überzeugen können. Daher war das neueste Abenteuer des übernatürlichen Geheimagenten Eddie Drood ...more
Alexander Draganov
Kept me on the egde till the very end. This is high octane fantasy action, ideal for the summer, despite the grim and awesome description of Ultima Thule. I wanna have a Ball there, seriously. My only complaint is about a scene in the tundra in which some wolves are killed. You shouldn't kill wolves, Simon, they are too awesome ;)
Apart from that, a 5 star read, not as legendary as the Blue Moon book in January, but still too cool for anything less.
Viccy
Feb 14, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
Eddie Drood, AKA Shaman Bond, and the wild witch, Molly Metcalf, must find the Lazarus Stone in order to swap it for the lives of Eddie's parents. Or, so he thinks, Eddie and Molly travel to Ultima Thule to confront the Lady Faire and demand she return the stone, given to her by Eddie's uncle, James. The usual banter and blood-filled fights. Green has promised three more books in the series to finish off the Drood secret histories and then plans to concentrate on writing stand-alones.
Ade Couper
Aug 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, back to the World of the Droods....

It's just another day at the office for Eddie Drood- framed for a massacre, declared rogue by the family, & hunting for a mysrerious artefact....Simon R Green's supernatural take on the James Bond world never fails to enrertain me. This is a tautly plotted tale, well-told, with interesting 3 - dimensional characters-it's also bloody funny!

Definitely worth the investment of your time.
Krista D.
It wasn't as good as the last few. I liked the general story idea; it just didn't come together for me.

There were a lot more repeated and copied phrases this time around than usual. And the constant repeating of each other's secret names and missions distracted heavily after a time. The twists at the end of the party were a lot of fun, though.

I hope this book signals the end of Molly's obsession with her parents.
  • The Glass God (Magicals Anonymous, #2)
  • Dark War (Matt Richter #3)
  • Dancing on the Head of a Pin (Remy Chandler, #2)
  • Undone Deeds (Connor Grey, #6)
  • Dead Waters (Simon Canderous, #4)
  • Managing Death (Death Works Trilogy #2)
  • Evil Dark (Occult Crimes Unit Investigation, #2)
  • Yesterday's Hero (Arthur Wallace, #2)
  • The Strain, Book One
  • Kitty’s Zombie New Year
  • Slashback (Cal Leandros, #8)
  • Dragon Justice (Paranormal Scene Investigations #4)
  • Unleashed (Dog Days, #3)
  • Children of Ash (Meridian Six, #2)
  • In Shining Armor (Pax Arcana, #4)
  • Baltic Gambit (Vampire Earth, #11)
  • The Perdition Score (Sandman Slim, #8)
Simon Richard Green is a British science fiction and fantasy-author. He holds a degree in Modern English and American Literature from the University of Leicester. His first publication was in 1979.

His Deathstalker series is partly a parody of the usual space-opera of the 1950s, told with sovereign disregard of the rules of probability, while being at the same time extremely bloodthirsty.

Excerpted

Secret Histories (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Man with the Golden Torc (Secret Histories, #1)
  • Daemons Are Forever (Secret Histories, #2)
  • The Spy Who Haunted Me (Secret Histories, #3)
  • From Hell with Love (Secret Histories, #4)
  • For Heaven's Eyes Only (Secret Histories, #5)
  • Live and Let Drood (Secret Histories, #6)
  • Casino Infernale (Secret Histories, #7)
  • From a Drood to a Kill (Secret Histories, #9)
  • Dr. DOA (Secret Histories, #10)
  • Moonbreaker (Secret Histories, #11)
“Also present, unfortunately for all, was the Painted Ghoul. The clown at midnight himself, dressed in a bloodstained clown’s costume composed of deliberately clashing colours. The Painted Ghoul’s face was daubed with distressing patterns, and when he smiled his big red smile, you could see he’d filed his teeth into sharp points. His over-bright eyes were full of a malevolent glee. There’s nothing funny about a clown with an erection.” 0 likes
“You put butter in a pocket watch and it’s bound to mess up the works even if it is the very best butter.” 0 likes