Start by marking “Sacred Choices: The Right to Contraception and Abortion in Ten World Religions” as Want to Read:
Sacred Choices: The Right to Contraception and Abortion in Ten World Religions

Sacred Choices: The Right to Contraception and Abortion in Ten World Religions

Major religious traditions contain strong affirmations of the right to family planning, including contraception and when necessary, abortion.
Published January 3rd 2001 by Augsburg Fortress Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Sacred Choices, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sacred Choices

Start your review of Sacred Choices: The Right to Contraception and Abortion in Ten World Religions
Christine Tran
Jan 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Another great book read in Women's Studies. Professor Renae Bredin gave another excellent book. Although the style of writing was different for each section, I was intrigued with the stance that each person wrote in their essay. I think this book gave me another great insight in different religions of the world. This is something worth reading if you want to be exposed to different religions, especially if you're not familiar with it. Because I came from a Buddhist/Daoist/Confucianist background ...more
Colleen
Jun 15, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those interested in sexuality, abortion, religion
Shelves: sexuality, women, religion
This is an well-executed book about a treacherous social crossroads- abortion and religion. And it was written by a priest turned professor of ethics. If you are at all interested in reproductive rights, religion, ethics or the status of women, this is a worthwhile read. Considering the subject matter, Maguire could have easily hidden behind rhetoric, sound bites or academia, but he doesn't. It's a very intelligent and simultaneously accessible read.
Rachel
Jan 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Though I make no bones about being pro-choice, I think anyone who is a religious scholar can appreciate the easy-to-read guide through ten major world religions and their stances that are both pro-life and pro-choice.

It's true what he says in the preface: "Conventional wisdom says that religions are invariably anti-choice when it comes to contraception with abortion as a backup when necessary. This restrictive viewpoint is indeed found in the world religions, and it is a perfectly reasonable and
Paige
Aug 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a worthwhile read for all the new information I learned about. It's true that the most conservative, anti-choice, anti-woman sectors of religions are often the loudest. Not having grown up with any particular faith, and not being a member of any major religion, I've only heard that anti-choice contingent speaking for everyone. I was surprised to hear about the actual right to abortion in religions like Catholicism and fundamentalist Protestantism, Judaism and Islam. I was less surprised ...more
Adam
Jan 29, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fellow feminists and those reconciling progressive politics with their, or others, spirituality
On a progressive religion reading stint right now. Had this one lying around for awhile and finally got around to reading it. More a resource for the pro-choice space in major world religions than a book read for the pleasure of words. A nice primer to the false presentation of many religions as all espousing a forced pregnancy, anti-sex position.
The_Coat Hanger_Project
Feb 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: good-reads
Daniel Maguire's book really opened my eyes to the ways different religions interpret, explain, and understand family planning and abortion. I was surprised to find they contain strong affirmations of the right to family planning, including contraception and when necessary, abortion.
jessica
Apr 04, 2007 rated it liked it
Interesting but kind of redundant. As I recall, he frequently returns to the theme of overpopulation and maternal health as moral dilemmas.
Amy P.
Jun 12, 2009 rated it liked it
Reproductive Rights 101 called, and they approved this book. This is an interesting take on Religious leaders and a woman's right to choice. It is well thought out and articulated well.
Megan Wright
Apr 07, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Great Believers
  • A Quick & Easy Guide to They/Them Pronouns
  • Amazons, Abolitionists, and Activists: A Graphic History of Women's Fight for Their Rights
  • There There
  • D'Aulaires' Book of Norse Myths
  • Fight of the Century: Writers Reflect on 100 Years of Landmark ACLU Cases
  • Trust Exercise
  • Exhalation: Stories
  • Orange World and Other Stories
  • Edinburgh
  • From Fearful to Fear Free: A Positive Program to Free Your Dog from Anxiety, Fears, and Phobias
  • Bonding with Your Dog: A Trainer's Secrets for Building a Better Relationship