Start by marking “Fairest (The Lunar Chronicles, #3.5)” as Want to Read:
Fairest (The Lunar Chronicles, #3.5)

Fairest

(The Lunar Chronicles #3.5)

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  80,333 ratings  ·  11,556 reviews
In this stunning bridge book between Cress and Winter in the bestselling Lunar Chronicles, Queen Levana’s story is finally told.

Mirror, mirror on the wall,
Who is the fairest of them all?

Fans of the Lunar Chronicles know Queen Levana as a ruler who uses her “glamour” to gain power. But long before she crossed paths with Cinder, Scarlet, and Cress, Levana lived a very differ
Published January 27th 2015 by Feiwel & Friends

To ask other readers questions about Fairest, please sign up.
Samantha I think you ought to read Cinder, Scarlet, and Cress first. You'll be more familiar with the characters that seem to be only mentioned a few times in…moreI think you ought to read Cinder, Scarlet, and Cress first. You'll be more familiar with the characters that seem to be only mentioned a few times in this book (haven't read it yet) and may get the wrong idea about Queen Levena. She's evil!!(less)

Emily May
Feb 22, 2016 rated it really liked it

4 1/2 stars. This is easily my favourite book of the series. Well... so far, but I find it hard to imagine that Winter will top this.

I enjoyed this book immensely and I had the feeling beforehand that it would be the villain's story that affected me most. There's just something really great about reading the stories behind the villains, finding out why
Kat O'Keeffe
Oct 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this! It was shorter than I expected, and didn't have as strong a story arc as the other books of The Lunar Chronicles, but it was fascinating getting to know Levana's backstory. Seeing things from her POV got me to sympathize with her, but it also made me realize just how twisted she is. She's definitely not a likable character, but I do understand her better now. I also better understand the dynamics between Levana and Cinder and Winter, which was great!

I think the best readin
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
this book honestly didn't do much for me, other than confirming how terrible levana is.
Miranda Reads
An absolutely essential read.

Rarely (and I do mean rarely ) does a companion novel enhance, improve and brings another dimension the original set. Fairest does all that and more.

Lunars (the advanced civilization living on the moon) can manipulate what you see and think through bioelectric energy.

Princess Levana (age 15) is neurotic about maintaining her glamour at all times due to a disfiguring "accident" caused by her older sister, Channery, a decade ago.

Through tantalizing tidbits, we lear
Liz* Fashionably Late
Buddy read with amazing Tanya (:

_________________

When I decided to read this book, I did it having in mind every other book in this series: funny, compelling and perfectly okay stories. That would explain why I was really not expecting the level of creepiness, weirdness and are-you-fucking-kidding-me-ness this book had to offer.

She hated mirrors. Hated their reflections, their truths.

Among Meyer's characters, Levana is definelty the most complex one. I could easily describe the evil quee
Zoë
Mar 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Book 24/100 of 2015

WOW SO GOOD! I really shouldn't like nor sympathize with Levana, kind of made me! Well...not exactly like, but definitely understand who she is and why she ended up that way. The pacing was great and I was never bored, which should be expected as it is only 222 pages. I also liked that we got a whole backstory for Cinder and Winter as well! I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL WINTER IS RELEASED
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

It didn't occur to me that some readers might skip this installment of THE LUNAR CHRONICLES, counting it as a novella. Technically, while being a prequel, I think it's still a full-length novel. I don't know the word count, but I did the math (with a calculator, and everything), and even excluding the preview of WINTER that begins at 79%, Levana's story is still over 200 pages.

FYI.

And regardless, any fan of the series will want to read this book, b/c:

1. What does Levana r
Hailey (HaileyinBookland)
2.5 ish maybe?
Kind of wish I had skipped this one. I wasn't a fan of the back story, it just seemed unoriginal and on top of that there was a scene that made me very uncomfortable because it is essentially in every way rape unless I misunderstood? I don't know. Just not worth the read for me.
Jessica
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Full Review on YouTube: https://youtu.be/RAd1c5jKxA8

Yikes. This queen is cray...

We all knew that Queen Levana was a bit psycho from reading Cinder, Scarlet, and Cress... I never realized how many issues this lady really has.
I LOVED this book, just like the other books in the Lunar Chronicles. If you haven't read this series yet, I would suggest that you don't start with this book, however. I know that it's a prequel, but so much information is shared in this book that you don't learn until book
amy
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, buddy-read
"Mirror, mirror on the wall.
Who is the most INSANE FUCKING PSYCHO BITCH of them all?"

(a direct quote)

So, this is basically what happened to me while reading this book:

me, before reading fairest: piss off levana god i hate this fucking noodle
me, 25 pages in: PROTECT HER!!!!!!!!
me, after reading fairest: yeah she can choke

i feel like the actual Evil Queen here is Marissa Meyer for putting me through this form of emotional abuse, i hope from the depths of my black sinner heart that she can't slee
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Mirror, Mirror on the wall ~ Who's the fairest of them all Well, it sure as hell isn't evil Levana!

Re-read through audio =)

Wow! I can see where Levana turned evil from all she went through from childhood etc. But she didn't have to turn evil, it just takes over if you let it. I see all the reasons she became sad, tired of it all, jealous, whatever you want to call any of it, it's just that I feel she could have become so much more. She seemed to be the happiest when she was the most evil thoug
Giselle
Jan 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, ebook
Actual rating: 4.5 stars

If you thought Queen Levana was evil before, you will see just how corrupted she really is! I don't often read novellas, but this one is a bit longer than average and completely worth it to be able to see Levana's childhood and how she grew up to be who she is. It also gives us a glimpse at our beloved characters' childhood so we get a real 360 look at what happened in the past.

Despite her evil ways and sometimes shocking delusions, Levana's story is just plain sad. This
emma
Okay so I knew I didn't like this book, but I didn't know I hated it.

Life is just full of surprises.

I like Levana as a villain in the real Lunar Chronicles books (I am already actively removing this from my conception of the series) because a b*tch is RUTHLESS. She is kicking ass and taking names and committing acts of biological warfare that lead to long-term genocide.

Your fave fantasy villain could never.

She's also crafty and smart and mysterious and all of that is what makes her cool as hell.
Anne

OMG!
Talk about a book that makes you feel (a bit) sorry for the psychotic villain in all the other books!
Are you reading the Lunar Chronicles?
Then this is a Must-Read. No, you can't skip it because it's a novella ...and let me tell you why, ok?
First, this sets up EVERYTHING that happens in the rest of the Lunar Chronicles. It's the prequel that doesn't suck.
Second, you get to find out about the past that Cinder forgot. You know what I'm talking about, right?
Then you need to go read th
C.G. Drews
Jun 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
SO THIS WAS BASICALLY INCREDIBLE. Am I suprised? nope. I've read 3 books by Marissa Meyer and they just get better and better (which is awkward since I rated Cinder 5-stars and all the rest 5-stars so...I NEED MORE STARS, CLEARLY). I was so curious about this book because Levana (the villain of the series) didn't have a heck of a lot of development in previous books. She seemed like President Snow from The Hunger Games...really evil, but distantly so. I wasn't sure if Fairest would make me feel ...more
Bangadybangz
Feb 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Lani
Jun 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
*makes devastating sobbing noises and cries myself to sleep*
• • • • • • • • • • • • • •
1.11.2014.
I don't know why, but she'll forever be my queen Levana
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
OH MY FREAKING GOD
LEVANA IS COMING

LEVANA IS COMING

IT'S ALL I'VE EVER BEEN WAITING FOR

THIS IS REALLY HAPPENING

description

Young Cinder and Winter. Dr. Erland. Love. Death. This story will kill me.

Jasmine
Jun 16, 2014 marked it as on-the-shelf-and-going-to-read
Holy crap.

My favorite character in the Luner Chronicles is getting a full length novel all to herself. Nothing but cruel Levanna for 256 pages. And full-coloured art. COLOURED ART, PEOPLE.

description

Love is a conquest. Love is a war.
Here is what I think of love.

Blurb: Mirror, mirror on the wall,
Who is the fairest of them all?
Queen Levana is a ruler who uses her “glamour” to gain power. But long before she crossed paths with Cinder, Scarlet, and Cress, Levana lived a very different story – a story that has never been told . . . until now.

Now this was interesting.

description

As you may or may not, Levana is one of my favorite characters in the Lunar Chronicles series. I just enjoy reading her and watc
Andie
It's official, Levana is bat shit crazy! Off her damn rocker. Needs to be locked up. Insane. Think that about sums it up.

I'm actually really torn about how I feel about this book. I went into it thinking I was going to get a backstory and then in turn understand why Levana is the way she is. And while I did get the reasoning behind it I still don't feel she is justified in any way and I absolutely do not feel sorry for her. Instead my heart actually hurts for those who have been so unfortunate
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
Yet another extremely outstanding story. I'm slowly turning into a fan, an adept and an evangelist of M.M., I think!

Q:
She tried to distract herself by planning who she would be that day.
A thousand possibilities floated before her. (c)
Q:
Levana knew a great deal about beauty, just as she knew a great deal about ugliness. (с)
Q:
It calmed her, sinking into the glamour. (c)
Q:
She was a beautiful fool, though, which was the worst kind. (c)
Q:
A risqué effervescent spirit. (c)
The stronger Luna’s economy
Kai
Apr 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, finished-series
“Levana knew a great deal about beauty, just as she knew a great deal about ugliness.”

I liked reading Fairest to pass the time waiting for Winter. But I just loved Winter.

Marissa Meyer demonstrates again how she can build fantastic worlds and interesting characters from nothing. It was intriguing reading about the Lunar world, especially from the bad guys POV. Even though it did not make Levana more sympathetic. Just more pathetic, naive, self-centered and cruel.

The thing is, I did not really
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Nov 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I am so sad. This absolutely broke me. I definitely recommend reading this if you love the series because you get such an interesting insight into Levana's character. She is so so so so evil :(
Jiana
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Honestly, Fairest blew me away.

After reading Cress two months ago and getting highly disappointed by it, my excitement for Winter decreased. I wasn't even planning on reading Fairest. However, Cait recommended it to me after I told her I was looking for something short and easy to read and told me it was fantastic. Naturally, after Cress, I was a tad hesitant but I still decided to give it a try. And would you look at that! Blown away!!

Prior to starting this, I was aware I'd get to see the exte
Robin (Bridge Four)
Aug 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Re-reading because I have just enough time to fit in this craziness before Winter

Okay....bumped up 1/2 star because it is brilliant even if it is difficult to be in Levana's head for that long. She is BAT-SHIT-CRAZY and I understand how every step and decision she made from the time she was 15 led her to that last cruel step she took and rationalized to herself. She is so broken there is no chance of redemption anywhere.

*sobs for Evret*

First Read Jan 2015

3.5 Self Loathing Stars

The best villains
Kassidy
I found this to be a fascinating look into Queen Levana.
Sana
2 1/2 stars. I hate Levana and I don't care for her at all. However, that is not the cause of my low rating.

This novella is about what turned Levana into such a monstrous evil queen. Now I really liked her whole point of view, her thoughts and feelings, but some of the stuff she did was just plain fucking monstrous and no matter what she went through, does not excuse what she fucking did. (view spoiler)
Darth J
May 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: series
A Pretty Squicky Situation

A prequel to Cinder and the other Lunar Chronicles, Fairest is a tale of extreme narcissism, abuse, and—dare I say it? (view spoiler). It starts out as a sympathetic tale of Levana who was mistreated by her older sister and lost both of her royal parents to an assassin. The audience is expected to feel for the villain, who was previously cast in a poor light (and lived in her sister’s shadow) until a man catches her eye…

She swoops in when Evret’s wi
P
Dec 30, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
“Love is a conquest! Love is war!”

Watching The Huntsman last month seemingly reminded me of this book. Fairest is a companion novel of The Lunar Chronicles series, and yes, this book is Levana's story. So you can be sure that when you pick this book up, darkness is behind you and prepares to consume you alive.

Levana is a multidimensional character.
  • Of Dreams and Rust (Of Metal and Wishes, #2)
  • Little Knife (Grisha Verse, #2.6)
  • Across a Star-Swept Sea (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #2)
  • Their Fractured Light (Starbound, #3)
  • Bridge of Snow (The Winner's Trilogy, #0.5)
  • Night of Cake & Puppets (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #2.5)
  • As They Slip Away (Across the Universe, #2.5)
  • Stitching Snow
  • The Ash-Born Boy (The Near Witch, #0.5)
  • The Fierce Reads Anthology
  • Gilded Ashes
  • Harmonic (Dissonance, #1.5)
  • Blue Lily, Lily Blue (The Raven Cycle, #3)
  • Dearest (Woodcutter Sisters #3; Books of Arilland #4)
  • The Shattered Mountain (Fire and Thorns, #0.6)
  • Princess of the Silver Woods ( The Princesses of Westfalin Trilogy, #3)
I live in Tacoma, Washington, with my husband and beautiful twin daughters. Represented by Jill Grinberg. Learn more about me and my upcoming books at http://www.marissameyer.com.

The Lunar Chronicles (4 books)
  • Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1)
  • Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles, #2)
  • Cress (The Lunar Chronicles, #3)
  • Winter (The Lunar Chronicles, #4)
“Maybe the princess could save herself."
"That sounds like a pretty good story too.”
407 likes
“She cried for the girl who had never belonged. A girl who tried so hard, harder than anyone else, and still never had anything to show for it.” 163 likes