Start by marking “The Awesome” as Want to Read:
The Awesome

The Awesome

Seventeen-year-old Maggie Cunningham is tough, smart, and sassy. She's also not like other girls her age, but then, who would be when the family business is monster hunting? Combat boots, ratty hooded sweatshirts, and hair worn short so nothing with claws can get a grip, Maggie's concerns in life slant more toward survival than fashion or boys. Which presents a problem whe ...more
Published May 26th 2015 by Ravenstone (first published January 1st 2015)

Start your review of The Awesome
Joe Valdez
Next up on what I'm not calling a jag or a marathon but might as well become the type of novel I favor from now on is The Awesome by Eva Darrows, in which a uniquely skilled but vulnerable woman is confronted by forces that would make anyone else squeeze into a locker and suck their thumb. Published in 2015, the outrageous and often flagrant storyline involves a teenage monster hunter in the present day whose only option for earning her journeyman's license and joining her mom on lucrative assignments ...more
❀Aimee❀ Just one more page...
I had so much fun reading this.

Is it high brow? *snort*

Did I laugh out loud frequently and read excerpts to my husband? So many times. Beware if you can't stand books with some crudeness to them.

Maggie is from a family that hunts the "bad" monsters that get out of line - ghosts, brownies, vampires, werewolves, and even leprechauns. This is a world that begrudgingly acknowledges these monsters and those that keep them in line. Her mom is training her to be a hunter as an apprenticeship.
"I would have asked m
Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always
I just adore the cover, the title, and oh yes, that fabulous-sounding synopsis. So it was no surprise that I was interested in reading and reviewing this book.

But ultimately, The Awesome ended up being both a hit and a miss for me. There were some aspects that turned out being a pleasant surprise, and others that maybe made me want to gouge someone's eyeballs out.

Things About The Awesome That Were Actually Awesome:

1. All of the relationships were fabulous.  This book touched up nicely on all sorts of relationships, anAbout/>

Bekka
Sep 14, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own-it, dnf
In her attempts to lose her virginity, the main character tries to have sex with a guy who is so drunk that he can't form sentences and ultimately passes out. Consent much? And then she has the nerve to get mad a him because she couldn't successfully rape him. Fuck that.
Bonnie
Oct 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
My rating: 4.5 of 5 stars

‘Sure, I was good at a lot of stuff. How many girls my age could kill a dude with her bare hands in under fourteen seconds? That’s a skill, and one that’d get me places in life, but it didn’t help me here. All the combat training in the world couldn’t make being a normal teenager any easier.’

Being a teenager is hard. Being a teenager is even more difficult when your only interaction with that age group is via the television. Seventeen-year-old Maggie has been home-sc/>
Dana

Absurdly horrendous. You think I would have taken the hint with the title and the description but no, apparently I am a glutton for punishment. The plot is paper thin and the MC is pathetic and disgusting.

Example of MC's innermost thoughts: “ Man I have to wizz like a racehorse, Like whoa bad pee time ”.

I am in the minority in regards to this book, so perhaps you will end up liking it. Personally I just have to many books to read to bother trying to slog through the trash.

Buy, Bo/>Buy,
Candace Robinson
This book was so much fun! Maggie had Buffy vibes, but if Buffy were a normal person with an even more hilarious attitude!

The concept felt original even though we've seen paranormal stuff before. The writing had kind of a Diablo Cody vibe, like if Juno and Jennifer's Body had a baby. There was plenty of action, and the side character's were awesome. A lot of people would probably criticize Maggie's mom, but she was awesome! Ian was cute and had perfect swoon. Lauren was also awesome!
Brigid
Let me just take a bit of your time. Assuming nobody has any shit to do of course. You better not though. It'll be real quick.

The Awesome.

Could you pick a better title? PROBABLY NOT. And who would want to? No one. That's who. Because this title is the personification of Maggie.

Maggie is this wicked spark of a girl. It's almost as if Darrows peeked into my soul and saw the horrors within, and thus created a heroine I would truly relate to.
I'd heard thito.
Mauoijenn
First, this book was hysterical and inappropriate.
Second, the MC is perfectly described and written.
Third, I almost gave it 5 stars but I felt the author was trying too hard in some areas in the book.
Fourth, I laughed too much.
Fifth, its a great book to indulge in.

TheBookSmugglers
Maggie Cunningham isn’t your typical teenager. Daughter of a single parent, Maggie spends her days honing her skills to become a full-fledged hunter like her mom, Janice – that means homeschooling, with major emphasis on supernatural ass-kicking, and a minor in creative and quippy profanities whilst kicking said supernatural ass. There’s just one tiny problem in Maggie’s awesome life – in order to become a journeyman and complete the next step of her Hunter-in-training status, she’s gonna have t ...more
Eilonwy
Sep 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Eilonwy by: Aimee

This book was lots of fun!

17-year-old Maggie is an apprentice monster-hunter training with her mother, but there's a catch: Maggie can't hunt vampires until she loses her own Big V, because virgin blood drives them wild. Enter Ian, cute cousin of Maggie's best friend, who seems willing to do the deed. And, of course, enter many complications, because nothing can ever be too easy.

If you have a problem with lots of swearing, crudeness, and vulgarity, then this is not the book for you. I really e
Whitley Birks
Feb 12, 2016 marked it as a-hell-no  ·  review of another edition
I read the preview on Amazon because I had one burning question about the basic premise of this book: do vampires only care about girl virgins? When talking about the sweet, sweet nom-ability of virgin flesh, the book doesn't mention gender, but it then goes on to only mention girls when discussing specific people.

So, another question: if hunters are a large group in this book (they are) and if it's virginity in general that's a problem, why are girl-virgin-hunters and boy-virgin-hun
Kat
Jul 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
I have to say that the title of The Awesome fits the book very well. It proved to be an awesome read!

I really liked how crass Maggie was! (She may not come off that way to everyone . . . it depends on the reader.) She said a LOT of "rude" (or what could be considered rude by several people) things. Her voice was very different from so many others in YA, which helped make this book stand out. Her thoughts were honest and unfiltered, and I LOVED THAT.

Maggie's relationship with her mom was on
Heather Duff
Feb 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to Rebellion / Ravenstone for providing me with a copy in exchange
for an honest review

I don't usually curse during my posts (which is unusual as I am a potty mouth in the non virtual world) but in the case of The Awesome from Eva Darrows I have to say it was literally f***ing awesome!!

I only received my copy yesterday and was going to keep it closer till it's UK release date on the 7th of May but I decided to have a little peek at the first couple of pages last
Max Baker
Love. Love love love love love. Looooooove. Love this book.

The Awesome is everything it promised. Monster hunting badassery, crude and inappropriate humor, an awesome protagonist, and amazing themes. Plus the design of this book is absolutely stunning. The toxic green mixed with the black shadowing and bright pink make the book stand out, but the edges of the actual pages are black, giving the entire book just an overall kick ass design.

The story itself reminds me of one of those horror co
Tink Magoo is bad at reviews
I was in the mood for something a little different and the heroine in this seemed like she could be my type of girl, so I decided to give this a whirl.

Maggie is socially awkward, determined and crude, I actually really liked her. While there were things I loved about this - all the relationship dynamics, the non glittery vampire, the sex, the snark - there were just as many things that bugged me.

The plot kinds lacked a bit and I didn't initially feel the whole Ian thing,
Sarah (thegirltheycalljones)
3.5 stars!

I would have probably never read The Awesome if it had not been for the Book Bub newsletter, letting me know "it costs 99 cents today!".
The blurb was so fucking weird and over-the-top that I couldn't let it pass and immediately texted the existence of this book to Reyes, with whom I had the chance to buddy-read it!

The Awesome is a very light and very entertaining quick read, outrageous in many ways. I really liked this kind of outrage.
You know how you're not talking the same way to p/>The
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)

When Meg (Cuddlebuggery) says to read a thing, I listen. Eventually. It took me a while to get to The Awesome, I’ll admit, but it wouldn’t be happening at all were it not for Megasus’ amazing review. Surprising no one, Meg was completely right about The Awesome, which lives up to a title that really ups the expectations. The Awesome is a hilarious, bitchin’ story of badass chicks kicking serious paranormal butt.

You will either love The Awesome or hate it, most li
Katelynn
Oct 02, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The lack of consent here between the main character and a drunk guy really grossed me out (especially since her internal monologue consisted of her telling herself how bad ass she is, while the drunk guy drunkenly kept asking her if she was okay). From that point, it was hard not to hate everything that followed. The cover and title are cool but unfortunately this is all style and no substance. I think everyone going on about its originality is kidding themselves. The monster hunter thing is a d ...more
K.R. Conway
May 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m going to preface this review by simply stating that I’m totally a feminist – I think women can and should rule the world, fight better in wars (we multitask and are far sneakier), and yes – God is probably a woman because have one’s reproductive parts hanging on the outside of one’s body HAS TO BE a joke on the male species at large.

I went to a historic all women Ivy League college. I wear tattoos. I can curse like the devil on crack.

Above all, I LOVE strong, hilariou
Jeff Raymond
Early raves and reports on this one made me pick this up from Netgalley the moment it was offered. What I thought I was getting was another YA paranormal piece, but what I got what a really fun mix of genres that is best described as Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Gilmore Girls having a weird kid that turns out to be Superbad.

Our heroine is Maggie, a teenage demon hunter in training. A little foul-mouthed, but who would be surprised given that her mother is a sailor in comparison. Maggie's got some work to do, but p
Petra
This was just so funny and..well, you know..awesome! I highly recommend it.
Tammy
The nitty-gritty: A fast-paced and funny story told by a very mouthy narrator, which ultimately fell into the "too silly" category for me.

Have you ever tried running in anything with heels, or for that matter, anything squeezing your calves like sausage casings? When you fight monsters, you tend to do a lot of short distance sprinting, and if my life depends on my capacity to get out of Dodge, I want sneakers with a good tread and nothing else. You know those horror movies where the silicon-inflated ba/>Have
Erin
This book had so much potential...Maggie was such a fun character...but there just wasn't enough. Not enough story...not enough background on, well, anything...not enough plot.

I'm just disappointed that there wasn't more to this book because I definitely would have read it. But kudos to Ms. Darrows...no horrible sequel producing cliffhanger ending.
aPriL does feral sometimes
Seventeen-year-old Maggie Cunningham loves her job and her mom, Janice. They are licensed Monster Hunters. They hunt down rogue ghouls, ghosts, golems, vampires and zombies according to the rules and regulations set by the agency Department of Paranormal Relations (DoPR). (All monsters are supposed to register with the DoPR and refrain from violent behavior. If they refuse, they are rated one to five stars according to their danger to society, and hunters are paid on scale.)

Maggie has been work
Kelly
Mar 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book certainly hit the spot as far as snark and sass go. Maggie's not-quite-normal upbringing makes her a little different from others her age. She's not afraid to speak her mind and she's capable of standing up for herself. The downside is her social skills are a little rough around the edges. Which makes looking for a hook-up kinda amusing. She really doesn't have much game when it comes to friendships or relationships and things don't quite turn out as planned.

Her mom made me
Rachel
Jun 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hot damn.
This was the shit.

A heroine confident in her abilities but who still makes mistakes and - most importantly - learns from them?
A parent who is actually present and parent-y and has a personality?
Sex and body positivity and a supportive, respectful, sweetheart love interest?
Multiple lady friends who get more than one-off scenes?
Damn good world building and fuckin hilarious first person narration?
A highflying, entertaining as hell read that doesn't fall in/>This
Erin Cataldi
May 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
This book spoke to my soul; it was immature, crude, ridiculous, funny, and just damn good. You have have to have a dark irreverent sense of humor to enjoy it (I would assume it might enrage conservative christians for instance), but it might appeal to other audiences as well. It was darkly comedic and open about sexual experiences and was kind of reminiscent of Andrew Smith's "Grasshopper Jungle." The story follows a seventeen year old monster hunter who is apprenticing under her mother. While o ...more
Clare O'Beara
Not really my scene. A girl whose family hunts monsters from imps to werewolves for a living (she starts on a poltergeist) is continually foul-mouthed, dislikes everything about herself, dislikes her mother and her life. She goes to what must be the worst party ever for a seventeen year old and gets heavily groped, hoping to lose an asset for some reason, but the guy passes out; not surprising as they are pretending they are old enough to drink beer. Meanwhile her mother is getting clawed by a w ...more
Jun 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This girl is speaking my language. Never have I read a book that was written in a way that it was like my brain spilled out onto the pages. This is written very much how I think and how I say things it was incredible and hilarious. Maggie truly is The Awesome.

Reading the description of the book I was a little apprehensive because Maggie could not advance in her career while still being a virgin and she really wanted to slay some vamps. This topic could have been handled terribly but Eva nailed

• Shutter
  • The Mighty Captain Marvel, Vol. 3: Dark Origins
  • Haunted Nights
  • Maid-sama! (2-in-1 Edition), Vol. 1: Includes Volumes 1  2
  • The Wolf Keepers
  • Skyjacked
  • The Monster Club
  • The Wishbone Wish (Judy Moody & Stink #4)
  • Willowleaf Lane (Hope's Crossing, #5)
  • The Fabulous Clipjoint (Ed & Am Hunter #1)
  • Your Black Friend and Other Strangers
  • Desert Crossing
  • October Dreams: A Celebration of Halloween
  • Catwoman, Vol. 2: Far From Gotham
  • DC Comics Bombshells, Vol. 3: Uprising
  • The Waking Dark
  • All-New X-Men, Volume 7: The Utopians
  • Fruits Basket Collector's Edition, Vol. 2
Eva Darrows is Hillary Monahan is also an international woman of mystery. Holed up in Massachusetts with three smelly basset hounds, she writes funny, creepy things for fun and profit.
“Maybe she’d pick up a new makeup tip that wasn’t ‘Roll your face on the Revlon counter and see what happens.” 5 likes
“Parties and The Sex went hand in hand almost as closely as watching Xena reruns and questioning my sexuality.” 3 likes