Start by marking “Making Him Sweat” as Want to Read:
Making Him Sweat

Making Him Sweat (Wilinski's #1)

3.6  ·  Rating details ·  543 Ratings  ·  114 Reviews
Disagreements are best settled in the ring--and below the belt...

Round 1
In this corner is Jenna Wilinski, who's inherited a rather seedy boxing gym from her estranged father. With it, she can realize her dream of launching an upscale matchmaking business...provided she can take on the very intimidating--and wickedly hot--boxer who stands in her way!

Round 2
In the far corner
Published April 24th 2014 by Harlequin Blaze (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Making Him Sweat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Making Him Sweat

Jill
Jan 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Jenna Wilinski has inherited her late father's building and business, Wilinski's Fight Academy in Boston. Jenna wants to open up her own upscale matchmaking business in the same building. Mercer Rowley, her father's protégé, business manager and trainer, isn't keen on seeing his or her father's work closed down. But can these two very different businesses co-exist?

This is my fourth novel by Meg Maguire and I really enjoyed it. There's something so lovely and real about her characters and romance
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

Making Him Sweat is a sexy story, the first book in a new series and Meg Maguire’s first multi-book deal. Harlequin Blaze is the publisher, and those of you who’ve read this line in the past know that the stories are definitely hot! This book introduces us to some very interesting characters, people whose stories promise to be exciting, fun, and very sexy.
From the cover:

She's hitting below the belt…

Round 1

In this corner is admittedly romantic Jenna Wilinski, who’s inherited a rather seedy boxing
Regina
Check out this review and others like it at BadAssBookReviews

I loved this book!

I am picky about the romance novels I read and if I were honest, which I guess I should be, many romance novels fail to pull me in. But there are some exceptions. Cara McKenna (here writing as Meg Maguire) is forever going to be one of my favorite writers for her novella Willing Victim and now again for the novel Making Him Sweat. What do I want in my romance? Character depth. Rational scenarios. Please NO evil vill
KatLynne
3.5 Stars

In this corner…. We have Jenna Wilinski and her soon to be upscale matchmaking business, Sparks of Boston. She’s arrived to inhabit the building and business left to her by her estranged father. The only drawback is the stipulation he made in his will, that she keep the Academy open until the New Year. It may be an inconvenience, but she can easily set up shop and work around the two businesses for a short amount of time.

And in this corner… We have Mercer Rowley, boxer, trainer, and ge
Wminbc
Jan 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love fight books…especially where old school boxing meets the more
modern MMA style. This cute book had so many great characters and a
good old fashion romance. Both Mercer and Jenna were apprehensive about
the other due to their predicament: namely Jenna’s estranged father who
left his gym to Jenna but also left Mercer in charge of the gym and
living in his apartment.

As the two dance around each other, they also learn a thing or two about
their lives, their relationships with Jenna’s father (Mercer
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

MAKING HIM SWEAT is the first book in a brand new series by Meg Maguire. It’s a series that centres around MMA. You know what that means, right? Hot, sweaty, half naked men. I’m there.

Another big reason why I decided to read this book is because of the author. I’m a huge fan of Maguire’s authorial voice. A lot of detail is spent on the everyday goings of life and how a hero and a heroine discover chemistry and passion within each other. A Meg Maguire book also explores the past in slow detail,
...
3.5

Meg Maguire has won me over with her endearing, real heroes and heroines, and the believable dialogue within her books. Making Him Sweat was no different. I found myself grinning while reading the interaction between Jenna and Mercer. I couldn't get enough of the fun, flirty banter between them and wanted more, more, more.

The first 50% of this book had me sucked in, rooting for Jenna and Mercer's relationship, feeling strongly for these two characters, and even at one point, bringing me to su
Paula
Feb 03, 2013 marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition

I will refrain from rating since I didn't finish this one...

I found this book to be really boring. I had a hard time connecting with the characters nor did the story captivate my interest. I couldn't make myself finish this short book. And I really did try. I could see that this story had potential, but I think personally this story just isn't my cuppa.

Louise
Feb 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novella, hot-hot-hot
So good and dayum that was hot!
And Mercer ahhh such a good fine man, so kind and thoughful plus he has a fine ripped body through the years of training and bouts of MMA fights, he's a trainer now so sigh and also he's a great kisser and great in bed... Yum the perfect package.
I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com)
What happens when the world as you once knew it comes crashing down around you and everything you thought was true about your life turns out to be a big-fat lie?

Jenna Wilinski is a romantic at heart. She is awesome at pairing up perfect love matches for everyone around her, but when it comes to her own love life…not so fantastic. When her estranged father suddenly passes away, she inherits the bedraggled old boxing club that he made into a home for many wayward boys and up and coming fighters, i
Morgan
Jan 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars, 3-stars
CLICK HERE TO READ MY FULL REVIEW AT READING, EATING AND DREAMING I WAS BLAIR WALDORF

*I received Making Him Sweat through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.*

What I loved about Making Him Sweat by Meg Maguire:
Intriguing, entertaining story. I absolutely loved how the main character landed herself with two polar opposite companies: a boxing gym and a matchmaking business. I also love how Jenna's match was her polar opposite. It definitely made things interesting.

Light, easy read. I wouldn
When Jenna inherits a boxing gym from her estranged father she has no intention of keeping it running but it does give her the perfect opportunity to open the matchmaking agency that she has always dreamed of. She just needs to find a way to run the two businesses together until the end of the year when she can legitimately close the gym. She hadn't planned on having to deal with Mercer though, Mercer has been running the gym since her father got sick and he has plans to give the run down old pl ...more
Mariann {at} Belle's Book Bag
"You're the Mr. Right that I've been picturing all wrong my whole life." *sigh*

This is another cover that I just love and makes me want to sigh!! lol ;) Meg Maguire is another new-to-me author that I will definitely be looking for more from. She won me over with Making Him Sweat and I am a BIG fan now. I'm not so patiently waiting for the next book in this series!! Rick *sigh* His book is going to be so good and I am hoping to read more about Mercer and Jenna!! Can't wait!!

Mercer Rowley...what
Jenn Scranton
Feb 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
**ARC provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review**

4.5 Stars!

What a breath of fresh air!! As much as I love romance novels, they have a pretty typical story line. Making Him Sweat was in a category all on its own which caught my attention from the first chapter!

First of all, there aren't too many books about boxing... I'm not sure why. Its pretty sexy when you think about it. Boxers kind of have that sexy bad boy image but they are disciplined and controlled. Yeah, I can work with tha
Angie Elle
I have to say that I very much enjoyed the simplicity of this book. It was just two people who were content with their lives finding love when and where they least expected it.

Jenna's inheritance is a piece of property that happens to be the perfect place for her new business venture. It also happens to be a place that Mercer's poured his heart and soul into--a MMA training facility geared toward getting young men off the streets to teach them discipline and turn them away from violence.

Mercer a
Meagan
This new Blaze title is by Meg Maguire, who I first got to know as Cara McKenna. I was shocked by how much I loved McKenna's (very edgy, be ye warned) erotic romance, so when I heard that there was a wider market serial romance title being released under the Maguire name, I was super excited to read it. Happily for me, I was approved for a title under NetGalley. And I wasn't disappointed!

While Making Him Sweat is much less racy than the titles I've read by Cara McKenna, it still offers some of t
D.C.
Jan 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ABOUT THE BOOK:
She's hitting below the belt... Round 1

In this corner is admittedly romantic Jenna Wilinski, who's inherited a rather seedy boxing gym from her estranged father. With it, she can realize her dream of launching an upscale matchmaking business...provided she can take on the very intimidating-and wickedly hot-boxer who stands in her way!

Round 2

In the far corner is former pro boxer Mercer Rowley. He's the only one who can protect his "home"-even if it is a little run down-from his det
Amanda R
Apr 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: erotica, series
Wow, what can I say? I really enjoyed reading this story. It definitely has an underlying message of don't judge a book by its cover, and people really need to practice that more often.

Jenna wants nothing to do with the gym that her father left her. I mean he left when she was four and she never heard from him again. Now that he's gone and left her the legacy of a boxing gym with a bad reputation, that could be a misunderstanding. She meets Mercer and listens to the love that he has for her fat
Eve Dangerfield
Jan 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I adore this book. It's not as filthy as I usually like but so earthy and funny and perfect. You can really picture the gym in all its masculine glory and Jenna is a lovely female lead, sweet and friendly without being a pushover and Mercer? Oh my god. To coin a phrase, what a complete ride. The chemistry between these two is world class and the flirting scenes read like you're standing in the room with them, feeling the sparks fly. Recommend x 10
Sandy
Feb 08, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this story but the plot was hard to swallow in several places.

The main character, Jenna Wilinski,has inherited a rather seedy boxing gym from her estranged father. By closing the gym, she can realize her dream of launching an upscale matchmaking business which seems like a good plan until she meets Mercer Rowley. He's the one her father left in charge of the gym and he has big plans for it—--even if it is a little run-down.

When Jenna arrives, she finds that Mercer is living in the li
Leslie
Rating: C-

Well, I finished it. It took far too long to read for a Blaze. I can't say I ever really got into the story or the hero or heroine. I was interested in the setting of the fight school and the people it attracted. The matchmaking business didn't do anything for me. It felt like Jenna could have started any business, it was only there for conflict with the gym.

Jenna Wilinski knows very little about her father, only that he loved his gym more than her or her mother. Or so she thought. Je
Eleanor (The Book Hammock)
My thanks to NetGalley and Harlequin for an advanced copy of this book.

I didn't know what to expect from Meg Maguire when I fired up my Kindle to start this book. Then I got to meet Jenna Wilinski and Mercer Rowley. Jenna inherits a somewhat dilapidated gym in Chinatown, Boston from her late father from whom she was estranged for the past 25 years. She has a plan for the gym - shutting it down, unless it miraculously turns profit by the end of the year. She wants to open a matchmaking service on
Ann has a dirty mouth
I am so into this book. It is probably my favorite harlequin of a long long time.

Some of you may notice that I started Real by Katy Evans and I was super into it until the last few chapters where some plot turns made me completely lose my interest. I was still completely craving books about boxers and sexy fighters. This is probably the best boxing hero I have read.

What really made this book come to life for me was that Mercer was such a real person. I think any author could make you fall in l
Arianna
Mar 31, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Una storia veramente carina!
Jenna eredita dal padre, che non vedeva da venticinque anni, una edificio in Chinatown, Boston, e l'attività che ne risiede: una palestra di arti marziali. Peccato che lei sia una ragazza romantica a cui il sangue e la violenza fanno paura. Decide quindi di chiudere tutto e di realizzare il suo sogno: aprire una compagnia di matchmaker, per far incontrare i single della città.
Peccato che Mercer, istruttore della famosa palestra e pupillo del padre di Jenna, non sia pr
Rhyll Biest
Feb 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this Harlequin, though I'm not at all a Harlequin reader. Meg Maguire (AKA Cara McKenna) really brought it in this spicy romance, and there were shades of Flynn (from Willing Victim) in Mercer which made me devour this book in one big gulp. In other words, Mercer is the thuggish looking brute with a heart of gold—and ding-dong of titanium ;)

As always, it's the original use of language (no lazy cliches in this writing), supernova hot sex and brilliant dialogue which made me love this stor
Re Re
Aug 23, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable read to pass the time. The conflict and resolution was rather obvious I cringed a bit when the baddie was introduced. Everything was a bit too convenient for my liking.

Hero was a surprisingly easy-going guy, and the heroine was likeable and generally rational. (This is somehow rare.)

Would have gotten 4 stars if second half of the book was more interesting (not saying it was bad, but could have been more enjoyable). Pretty good for a Harlequin Blaze, though. (I normally get bored with t
Camille
Audible version.

Heh...this was okay.

I'm gonna stop reading McKenna / Maguire now though. Her writing, for me, is way too familiar, predictable, scripted and similar.

Also, her heroes are like a feminist's dream of the wild side, which is starting to register fakely and transparently to me. I'm done seeking another Flynn. God, Flynn...

Anyway...

Besides such, this was half chick-litty-ish and I hate chick lit. So others may enjoy because the story isn't bad and there is a happy ending. But the mos
Dabney
Apr 06, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I liked the couple in this book a great deal. They had interesting life histories and fabulous chemistry. However, the book itself dragged. It has far too much extraneous information in it about things that, for me, slowed the plot rather than advanced it.
Roz ~ My Written Romance
Review to come.
Christina
I liked this one. Just missing a 4 star rating. What I really liked.. Actual depth of characters, possible not fantastical scenarios, realistic emotional reactions.
  • The Rule-Breaker
  • Her Man Advantage (Double Overtime, #2)
  • Lying in Bed
  • The Winning Season (Feeling the Heat, #2)
  • Sizzle
  • Red Zone (Daniels Brothers, #2)
  • Big Boy
  • Face-Off
  • Below the Belt
  • Waking Up to You: Waking Up to You / Overexposed
  • Smooth Sailing (Stop The Wedding, #2)
  • Not Just Friends
  • No Strings...
  • On a Snowy Christmas Night (Made in Montana, #3)
  • Winning Moves (Stepping Up Trilogy, #3)
  • No Going Back
  • The Story Guy
Since she began writing in 2008, Meg Maguire has published nearly forty romances and erotic novels with a variety of publishers, sometimes under the pen names Cara McKenna and C.M. McKenna. Her stories have been acclaimed for their smart, modern voice and defiance of convention. She was a 2015 RITA Award finalist, a 2014 RT Reviewers’ Choice Award winner, a 2012 and 2011 RT Reviewers’ Choice Award ...more
More about Meg Maguire...

Wilinski's (3 books)
  • Taking Him Down (Wilinski's #2)
  • Driving Her Wild (Wilinski's, #3)
“All men think they're great kissers. Just like you think you're the only decent driver on the road."
"Maybe, but I am. Amazing kisser. Dangerously amazing. Your panties would, like, disintegrate, I'm such an awesome kisser.”
7 likes