Start by marking “The Heart of Buddhist Meditation: a handbook of mental training based on the the buddha's way of mindfulness, With an Anthology of Relevant Texts translated from the Pali and Sanskrit.” as Want to Read:

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  135 ratings  ·  15 reviews
This is a classic text on the essence of Buddhist meditation. It is an excellent, in-depth description of mindfulness practice and its benefits. It includes a concise explanation of clear comprehension, which is the kind of mindfulness you use in the course of your daily life. It also presents an easily understandable explanation of the Four Foundations of Mindfulness.

This
Published June 1st 1973 by Weiser Books (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about The Heart of Buddhist Meditation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Heart of Buddhist Meditation

Katie
I received this book for free as part of a Goodreads giveaway.

So glad to find out I won this book, and can't wait to start reading! I'll update this with a review once I finish.
Alex
This book is more difficult than most of the Buddhist books I've been reading. It takes a decidedly theoretical approach both in content and tone. However, it introduced me to some useful concepts, such as cultivating an attitude of "Bare Attention" to whatever arises in your mind, without adding extra judgments. If judgment arises, you simply try to notice that with Bare Attention.
Leon M
I read "The Heart of Buddhist Meditation" because Erich Fromm repeatedly mentions and recommends the book in his various works from "To Have or To Be" to "The Art of Being".

Author's writing books on meditation always have a hard job because meditation is something so inherently practical that, actually, you can only really learn about it by doing it. "The Heart of Buddhist Meditation" has an even more difficult job because it focuses on the theoretical underpinnings of the satipatthna meditation
Keegan
I read this because I am a sheep (it's on Sam Harris' recommended booklist). Best book on meditation I've ever read. I have this problem where I only believe things I read in books, so no matter how many times Shugen tells us to "maintain the thread of concentration" through sesshin, I don't listen. But I listen to Nyanaponika Thera.

I just spent three days in an empty room, and I couldn't have been peachier. I am totally enthused to rock out the last four months at ZMM.
Brendan
one of the better commentaries on the sattipatthana sutta i've read; the writing is clear and concise, geared somewhere in the middle ground between hardcore buddhist scholar and curious neophyte. if you've had at least an introduction to sutta-based meditation systems (vipassana, insight, etc.), this is worthwhile reading to deepen both your understanding of the technique and its connection to scriptural buddhist teaching.
Reid
An excellent exegesis of the Satipatthana Sutta. Thera has a vast experience to draw on and a very wise and specific knowledge of this sutta. Having said that, it would probably not be very interesting to those who are not familiar with Buddhist writings; he can be more than just a bit esoteric at times. But if you are interested in this sort of thing, there are, to my knowledge, few better guides.
Phillip Moffitt
This is an excellent, in-depth description of mindfulness practice and its benefits. It includes a concise explanation of clear comprehension, which is the kind of mindfulness you use in the course of your daily life. It also presents an easily understandable explanation of the Four Foundations of Mindfulness.
Craig Shoemake
A must read, foundational text for understanding satipatthana--the four foundations of mindfulness (aka vipassana). In fact, I might almost say if you've got this and put it to work, it will be a long time before you need anything else. Highly recommended.
Todd
This is an excellent book on the deeper aspects of meditation, not easy to understand without some previous experiential knowledge. This book is not for the beginner or curiosity seekers.
Robin Morris
Simply the best book on Meditation I have found. Not for the beginner, but for someone who wants more insight into the process.
Michael Sage
Excellent, if somewhat dated, interpretation of mindfulness meditation in Theravada Buddhism.
Saul
Excellent introduction to the sattipatthana sutta.
Leah
I keep re-reading this one.
Jmp
Quite scholarly.
Sean Stanley
Sean Stanley is currently reading it
Jul 29, 2015
Stephen Mcgovern
Stephen Mcgovern is currently reading it
Jul 21, 2015
motioneffector
motioneffector marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Katie Thomas
Katie Thomas marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Casey Olsen
Casey Olsen marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Megan Hoover
Megan Hoover marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Miguel Albino
Miguel Albino marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2015
Linda Pizzi
Linda Pizzi is currently reading it
Jun 13, 2015
Frankie Lim
Frankie Lim marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
  • The Middle Length Discourses of the Buddha: A Translation of the Majjhima Nikaya
  • The Connected Discourses of the Buddha: A New Translation of the Samyutta Nikaya
  • The Long Discourses of the Buddha: A Translation of the Digha Nikaya
  • The Art of Living: Vipassana Meditation: As Taught by S. N. Goenka
  • Moon In a Dewdrop: Writings of Zen Master Dogen
  • The Experience of Insight: A Simple & Direct Guide to Buddhist Meditation (Shambhala Dragon Editions)
  • Beyond Mindfulness in Plain English: An Introductory guide to Deeper States of Meditation
  • Zen and the Brain
  • Mastering the Core Teachings of the Buddha: An Unusually Hardcore Dharma Book
  • The Dhammapada: A New Translation of the Buddhist Classic with Annotations
  • Transformation and Healing: Sutra on the Four Establishments of Mindfulness
  • The Numerical Discourses of the Buddha: A Complete Translation of the Anguttara Nikaya
  • Breath by Breath: The Liberating Practice of Insight Meditation
  • Living Dharma: Teachings of Twelve Buddhist Masters
  • Buddhist Scriptures
  • Meditation in Action
  • Being Nobody, Going Nowhere: Meditations on the Buddhist Path
  • The New Meditation Handbook: Meditations to Make Our Life Happy and Meaningful
Great Disciples of the Buddha: Their Lives, Their Works, Their Legacy Abhidhamma Studies: Buddhist Explorations of Consciousness and Time The Power Of Mindfulness (Mindfulness Series 3) Numerical Discourses Of The Buddha Anguttara Nikaya Discursos del Buda