Start by marking “Winter Shadows” as Want to Read:
Winter Shadows

Winter Shadows

4.2  ·  Rating details ·  61 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
A coming of age story following Claire, a young lady struggling to find her place in the world after losing her mother to cancer. After a corrupt American government declares a pandemic and forces residents into quarantine encampments, Claire and her father, along with other members of their Church and community, go into hiding in a cave system in rural West Virginia. Whil ...more
Published June 14th 2014 (first published October 13th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Winter Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winter Shadows

Lily ☁️
An advance copy of this book was supplied to me by the author in exchange for an honest review.

To begin with, let me note that I was fully willing to overlook all the issues I had with Winter Shadows - which were of no insignificant amount either, and which I will elaborate on later - and give it two stars. But the ending was so horrendous that I just couldn't do it. Remember when I said that Jellicoe Road was the hardest book for me to ever write a review for? I take it all back, because that t
Casey Bond
Aug 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
It's my book...so, I am in love with it! :)
Valeria
I would like to start by clearing up that I liked this book; I think it has lots of potential, but I was a little disappointed in how the plot unraveled. That is why my actual rating would’ve been 3.5 stars, but that is not a thing.

Winter Shadows by Casey Bond is a coming of age dystopian novel, which follows Claire, a nineteen year old girl, and her family, who are compelled to run away in order to escape the government that is transferring everyone into quarantine camps and burning their posse
Jaci
Sep 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 Stars Winter Shadows By Casey Bond

I was given an ARC book for an honest review free of persuasion from the author or anyone else affiliated with this book.

CONTAINS SOME SPOILERS

This story has 3 different peoples POV. These are my favorite type of books to read, simply because you get to see what is happening from 3 separate angles.
This book is a Christian paranormal romance story and starts off with Claire's POV. You will follow her mostly throughout the whole story.

This book will switch b
Paul Yoder
Sep 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First off, what’s it about
Winter Shadows is a coming-of-age apocalypse/survival type of book. The closest book I can compare it to is The Hunger Games, but with a protagonist that’s 19 instead of 16, and though the government is corrupted in Winter Shadows, somewhat as it is in The Hunger Games, here the majority of the book takes place in the wilderness away from the government rather than under the government’s watchful eye.

What kind of read can you expect from Winter Shadows?
Taking place most
Benjamin Spurlock
Like several other reviewers, I got a copy of this book from Casey in exchange for an honest review. Unlike many of them, my review of "Winter Shadows" is not going to be as positive. I do have to register my respect for Mrs. Bond, though; I asked if she truly wanted an honest review, even if it's a negative one, and she stuck by her word. Certainly, I appreciate that!

Let me start out this review by saying that I don't hate the book. Casey had an interesting story and a world that honestly could
Janna Marie
Aug 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, ya-dystopian
I received my copy of Winter Shadows from the author, Casey Bond, in exchange for an honest review.

I really, really loved this book! Oh man!

The Cover
It's gorgeous! I can't get over the simple and gorgeous reflection in the glasses. I need to get this in print for my shelves.

The Characters
Claire: Seriously?! I am not sure she could be any more amazing in this book. She is smart, beautiful and crazy talented. What girl do you know that can out fish AND out shoot every guy?

Ethan: Oh, Ethan... I l
LAWonder10
Oct 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We live in a world where it is hard to trust others. Will this lack of trust become necessary in the future years?

This story's setting is in the United States of America, in future years and, frighteningly, could very easily happen in the not-so-distant future. It is a very realistic story with an unexpected ending.

The story mysteriously opens and the reader is not certain which "direction it is headed in". It soon becomes apparent to the reader what is happening. The plot slowly adds more key c
Lade Tawak
Source: free copy courtesy of author

My Review

The Cover

I love the cover. It's just so cool. The pictures reflecting in the shades is a nice concept.

The Characters
There are a lot of characters. Claire, Ethan and Colin being the major ones.
I like Claire. She's a strong heroine. She's so easy to like. Although, at the beginning, her constant complaining was so annoying.

Ethan is nice. I don't feel much concerning him

I wasn't excited about Colin coming into the story but he is an interesting character
Caitlyn Santi
Sep 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very enjoyable Christian YA debut!

I really liked how this book started off with a great deal of suspense and tension! The characters were really cool (Especially Claire and Ethan!) but there was quite a large cast and at times I had difficulty keeping them all straight. I thought the idea of a dystopian America in which people evacuate to a cave in order to survive, was brilliant!

The storyline was really good but there were times when I felt that the story lagged a bit. But the pace always pi
ZaraS  *book reviewer
I must not like mystery books much as I found this book a bit slow for my liking. I think though that that's probably a comment on me not wanting to spend time working out the mystery more than anything (call it laziness or being too busy).

Having said that, the character development was good and easy to follow. The characters and the conditions they found themselves in, which for many people would break their resolve, only proved to be a source of strength and faith building for this little comm
Carissa
- I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This review is painful for me to write because I always try to be as nice as possible to authors, especially new ones. But, I just could not get into Winter Shadows. There was nothing to grab me, not the heroine, not the hero (either one), and none of the secondary characters. Claire is bland and one-dimensional and I can't tell the two "heroes" apart half of the time, their personalities are so similar. I understand she's tr
Amy
Aug 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Winter Shadows starts off with Claire and her father having to leave. And her father is trying to sneak Claire and some others past guard check points. It's all very stressful, hoping that they don't get caught. They end up going into hiding in a system of caves. Everyone is just trying to survive and go on with their lives, even with the possibility of danger lurking around every corner.

The charac
Kasey Giard
Sep 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When the US government sends troops to require its citizens to live in quarantine camps, Claire's father gathers friends and neighbors and whisks them away to form a community safe in an isolated cave. At first Claire doesn't want to go, but she learns to enjoy hunting and fishing and being a part of a close-knit community. During a fishing expedition, a bear attacks Claire, but a mysterious boy rescues her. Claire chooses to keep his existence a secret, knowing she risks everything to do so. Bu ...more
Pauline Creeden
Sep 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars. A captivating Apocalyptic and Christian suspense tale with surprising twists and turns, Winter Shadows will not disappoint readers who enjoy either genre. The characters are multidimensional and easy for YA readers to relate to. Whether they like them or dislike them, is a matter of personal preference.

The read is a light, fast one, and with the level of suspense, could keep the reader up late to finish, but you wouldn't pull an all-nighter. My only qualm about the book was there was
Kathy Osborn

When I first started this book, I thought it would be interesting, however I felt the story was boring and dragged until I reached over half way.

The characters were well developed, but the point of view switched during chapters it was hard to follow and took a few moments to discover I was now in a different character's POV.

The story line was hard to follow as it lacked development. For example when
Jayzel Javier
Jan 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy reading this..:)

I like how the story started, the suspense!It got me hooked up! ;D
But as the story progress I felt the story slows down, I felt it needs some action or something..but still I like how the story goes.

I love the characters,especially Claire, Ethan and Colin! Claire was awesome and Ethan was so sweet!!I tear up a bit when Colin died! I love their own POVs, it explains how they feel and it really helps me understand the story.

I like the twist and it surprises me. The e
Jr
Sep 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First off let me say that I'm just a casual reader who happened to score an early copy of the book. With that being said I really enjoyed it. I got sucked in iabout a quarter of the way through and couldn't leave it alone. I enjoyed the setting of the book having grown up in southern West Virginia. The characters were easy to relate to an care about. I think this is a read that has a broad based appeal with enough suspense to entertain the majority of readers. Congrats on your first effort Casey ...more
Lisa Lovejoy
Sep 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I Love the cover of this book! I usually do not read a lot of books because I get bored with them....But with this book I was on the edge of my seat! I couldn't put the book down because I was to interested to find out what was going to happen next. Claire was a character that kind of resembled me. She was willing to do whatever to survive, even when she wasn't happy about the new housing they had moved into. I can't tell you everything cause I don't want to ruin it for you...but if you read it ...more
Cristie Alleman
Jun 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Unexpected Twist
I loved how Casey L. Bond gave details that made me feel like I could have been living along right there with the characters.

Sara-Beth Cole
Oct 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The cover and the synopsis of the book drew me in. The settings were beautifully described and I enjoyed meeting all the characters. The hardest part of the story to me was the plot twist near the end of the book. I don't want to give away spoilers, but it would have been nice to see them earlier in the story and watch it develop a little more. The author changes perspective a few times, but it is easily defined by reading the story which character's POV we're looking at. There are some grammati ...more
Cristie Alleman
Apr 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unexpected Twist

I was so surprised at the turn of events in the story.. I sure wasn't expecting what transpired with Colin but, I loved the ending.. I loved watching Claire grow in the circumstances her group and her were in. She became a strong woman and found her way back to God.. I just want to say I simply loved Ethan in this story... He was always there for Claire ev
Rachael Brownell
From start to finish I was entranced in this book. It was a new and refreshing idea brought to life. From the very beginning to the heartwarming ending, I was trying to predict what would happen next and for once, I was wrong more often than I was right. I would recommend this to any avid reader who enjoys sleepless nights followed by pot of coffee before work the next day. It was that hard to put down. Well done Casey!
Marsha
Apr 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Winter Shadows by Casey L. Bond is dystopian fiction with a strong Christian theme. It is very well written with very strong characters, even the bad guys. The different points of view made it easy to experience the emotional roller coaster in its finest aspects. I love the descriptions that pulled my imagination into this new world. Definitely need to give this one a read. The wrap-up ending tied everything together and left a bit of hope for the future.
Diana Donnelly
This was a Goodreads win. The author had a a great imagination inventing this story which takes place in West Virginia. The government is corrupt and announces a pandemic which forces people into quarantine quarters. A few families gather together and hide out in caves. The story centers around a 19-year-old girl who lost her Mom to cancer. A very different read but an enjoyable one.
Brittany Oldroyd
Winter Shadows is absolutely incredible. From page one, readers are absolutely intrigued and it just keeps getting better. This book kept me turning all the way through, wondering what could possibly come next. The more I read, the more it sucked me in.
No matter what kind of books you read, Winter Shadows is one to check out!
Stephanie Colman
This is a wonderful coming of age story which happens to be set in a dystopian world. The colorful well developed characters which you can't get enough of really make this story come to life. The interaction between the characters is really what made this story a standout for me. I also thought this was an interesting mix of dystopian and Christian which I really enjoyed!
Ericka
Jun 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Oh my gosh! This is a great story and just like all of Casey's stories I was surprised by the turns it took. I'm usually pretty good at seeing the general idea of where a story is headed, but this took a turn or two I didn't expect.
It's quite an interesting read I highly recommend it.
P.S I love Colin :)
Amy
Feb 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has a great dystopian feel to it. I enjoyed watching Claire blossom and come back to the Lord. The characters were well developed. The story could have been a little clearer, but that is what makes this book great as a book study for a small group of young adults. I definitely recommend this book!
Anna
Jan 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in 2 days, and normally it takes me months to finish a book. This one had me on my toes. After the first few pages I was wondering where it was going. Then by the fifth page I was hooked. I couldn't stop reading it. I can't wait to read more books by Casey L. Bond. This is a must read!!!
« previous 1 3 next »
  • The Fisherman's Wife: The Gospel According to St. Peter's Spouse
  • The Book of Ephesus
  • Story of Jesus in History and Faith
  • Bonhoeffer the Assassin?: Challenging the Myth, Recovering His Call to Peacemaking
  • In Search of Deep Faith: A Pilgrimage Into the Beauty, Goodness and Heart of Christianity
  • Never on Sundays: A Novel
  • Life in a Medieval Monastery: The Monks of Durham Cathedral
  • Suffering and Victorious Christ: Toward a More Compassionate Christology
  • Journey toward Justice: Personal Encounters in the Global South
  • Craving Grace: Experience the Richness of the Gospel
  • Living & Longing for the Lord: A Guide to 1-2 Thessalonians
  • The Ebony Exodus Project: Why Some Black Women Are Walking Out on Religion--and Others Should Too
  • Finding God in the Bible: What Crazy Prophets, Fickle Followers and Dangerous Outlaws Reveal about Friendship with God
  • Called: The Crisis and Promise of Following Jesus Today
  • Ten Dumb Things Smart Christians Believe: Are Urban Legends & Sunday School Myths Ruining Your Faith?
  • First Sunday in October
  • Loved and Protected: Stories of Miracles and Answered Prayers
  • Rich in Years: Finding Peace and Purpose in a Long Life
Award-winning author Casey L. Bond resides in Milton, West Virginia with her husband and their two beautiful daughters. She loves letting the figments of her imagination spill onto the blank page.

You can find more information about Bond’s books via the following links:
Website: www.authorcaseybond.com