Start by marking “Beginning Mindfulness: Learning the Way of Awareness” as Want to Read:
Beginning Mindfulness: Learning the Way of Awareness

Beginning Mindfulness: Learning the Way of Awareness

A Simple Manual That Really Works

Knowing that most people do not stop their lives to engage in spiritual practice, Buddhist teacher Andrew Weiss has always taught the direct application of practice to daily life. While also teaching sitting and walking meditation, he emphasizes mindfulness — the practice of seeing every action as an opportunity to awaken meditative inquiry
Published February 4th 2004 by New World Library

To ask other readers questions about Beginning Mindfulness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beginning Mindfulness

Tami
Sep 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Life can be so chaotic. Half the time, the day is just a blur of activity. There’s just no time to stop and smell the roses.

Beginning Mindfulness is a ten week course that guides the reader through a variety of mindfulness exercises. Each week, the reader learns to expand his or her mindfulness not only by undergoing formal meditation practice but also by starting to take notice during the day.

There are many things that I really liked about Beginning Mindfulness. The most significant is that t
Johnny Wilson
Sep 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is perfect for anyone wanting to learn the basics of mindfulness through formal and informal practices. There are even little poems that get implemented in here to guide meditative practices. It teaches various forms of meditation - not just one. In the psychotherapeutic dimension, there is concentration meditation, open-monitoring (meditation as such) and compassion meditation (in several different versions such as Tonglin and Loving-Kindness). This book goes through all of those eith ...more
Karen
Feb 13, 2016 added it
This book was recommended to me by a friend after I shared that I could not quiet my mind at night. I have never been a meditator but this book really helped me focus and realize that 5 minutes of mindful mediation was better than none. It is about as long as I can get my mind to stop. I do it in the morning and before bed.
Madeline Ellis
Mar 13, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: spirtual
pretty good book, found it hard for me to really incorporate it into my daily life on a regular basis but it creeps in and out. great book for those who don't know much about living life in a very mindful way, being aware of life around you..it really makes a difference to be more aware.
Candace
Jun 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful book for beginning meditation practices. Very simply read and easy to understand. This book has helped me deal with stress, anxiety and the negativity that can start seeping into your life. Definitely recommend.
Ann
An excellent book for beginners learning about mindfulness practice and meditation. Can be read and the activities done alone or in group.
Lynn
Feb 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
great book that is taking me through the steps to bring mindfulness to my life and family
TJ
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good starter book for mindfulness practice
Rosa
May 02, 2008 added it
Shelves: abandoned
I got halfway through and gave up.
Hannah
Jul 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Lots of good exercises and advice.
Alan
Apr 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Quit halfway through, end Dec 2015.
Alison Mcneal
Aug 25, 2009
Gerhard Jason
Dec 03, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Do Parents Matter?: Why Japanese Babies Sleep Soundly, Mexican Siblings Don’t Fight, and American Families Should Just Relax
  • The Five Elements: Understand Yourself and Enhance Your Relationships with the Wisdom of the World's Oldest Personality Type System
  • The Bodhisattva's Brain : Buddhism Naturalized
  • The Need to Please: Mindfulness Skills to Gain Freedom from People Pleasing and Approval Seeking
  • The Tightwad Gazette III: Promoting Thrift as a Viable Alternative Lifestyle
  • Present Perfect: A Mindfulness Approach to Letting Go of Perfectionism and the Need for Control
  • What Is Zen?
  • Depletion and Abundance: Life on the New Home Front
  • Shobogenzo: Zen Essays by Dogen
  • Houseworks: Cut the Clutter, Speed Your Cleaning and Calm the Chaos
  • Sensemaking: The Power of the Humanities in the Age of the Algorithm
  • Letting Go of the Person You Used to Be: Lessons on Change, Loss, and Spiritual Transformation