Start by marking “First Lessons in Beekeeping” as Want to Read:
First Lessons in Beekeeping

First Lessons in Beekeeping

First Lessons in Beekeeping introduces the prospective beekeeper to the basics of beekeeping through easy-to-understand text and numerous color photos on honey bee biology, beekeeping equipment, management, honey production and processing, as well as disease diagnosis and treatment. In the preface to this book, author Keith Delaplane says of his first book on beekeeping, " ...more
Published September 1st 2007 by Dadant & Sons Inc (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about First Lessons in Beekeeping, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about First Lessons in Beekeeping

Start your review of First Lessons in Beekeeping
Emmaline Phillips
Apr 10, 2021 rated it liked it
let’s all pray for me on my beekeeping exam tomorrow😫 i read this all today and i still think i’m going to fail
Angie
Jul 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Great resource for any stage beekeeper
Lori
May 29, 2021 rated it it was amazing
There's a reason this book has remained the go-to guide to beekeeping for over 100 years. A master class in how to start your own apiary. Buzz buzz ...more
Samantha
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent beekeeping book for the beginner. It gives you pretty much everything you need to know to start your own hives, work them, keep your bees healthy, and harvest honey. This is sort of the Dr. Spock for beekeepers.
Steve
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Good instructional book. Given to me by Betsy Daniel after I expressed my interest in beekeeping. We'll see where it goes, but I'm taking a class starting in February! I think this will be the first of several books about beekeeping that I'll be reading soon. ...more
Kristen Spencer
Mar 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Very good and simple explanations, yet lots of detail as well. I can understand why this seems to be the Bee Bible. I feel much more confident in my knowledge of bees and what it takes to be a beekeeper. I have a feeling that I will continue to reference this book many times.
Anna
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was easy to read and very informative for a new beekeeper, complete with lots of photos.
Katrina
Jan 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A great little book, not too in depth but full of information. I am sure I will be reading sections again!!
Peregrine
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great book for a beginning beekeeper.
Billie Hinton
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A terrific first book on beekeeping. This was the book given to us in my beekeeping school and it has been a wonderful way to begin the learning process. Lovely illustrations and the quotes at the beginning of each chapter are inspiring. Looking forward to getting my bees!
Ellen Bell
Jan 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: beekeeping
This was an excellent book for starter beekeeping advice. It was easy to read and understand, and it included many explanatory photos and diagrams. I've also read Kim Flottum's introductory book on beekeeping; however, I enjoyed this one a lot more. The information was direct and to the point, without a lot of superfluous information and conjecture/opinions from the author. I'd highly recommend this book to anyone interested in getting started with keeping bees. ...more
Melissa
Mar 03, 2015 rated it liked it
I just reread this book in preparation for my hives coming soon! I read it a year ago, but had to wait a year for my township to establish a permitting process before actually getting bees. I'm not sure how to rate a book that is geared toward beginners in any venture, but it comes highly recommended by the beekeeping community, made me feel more confident, and also made me sure that diligence is required. For that it deserves 5 stars. ...more
Nickie
Apr 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
Our package of Apis Millifera should be arriving on the 18th of this month!

Having never raised honeybees, it seems that this little book was informative and a good review of the class I and the kids took locally at the county bee association.

I'm totally excited to learn with kids and watch the queen and workers create a new brood. At the same time I sure hope we don't get these terrible diseases that are also a possibility.
Ben
Jan 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: agriculture, diy, owned
Considering this is my first book about beekeeping and that this is a hobby I'm diving head first into in a month, I feel like I got a great overview of what I can expect once my bees arrive.

Typical non-fiction DIY style, the history->details->troubleshooting evolution of the book is easy to follow, and will be a great reference when the time comes.
Paul
Apr 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A wealth of knowledge for beekeepers. Good companion for when you are in the field and want to refresh yourself.
Kristen
Oct 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
For those seeking introductory, well written, scientific reads, this should be at the top of the list. Simply written for beginners and equally interesting to a fellow biologist.
Annie
Oct 31, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: beekeeping
it's one of my go-to's when I need a quick answer. ...more
Amy
Feb 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Excellent introduction to beekeeping. Clearly written and helpful, detailed photos. I appreciate the emphasis on IPM for sustainable disease/parasite management.
Jill
Jun 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Great photos and how to install and deal with problems, but a little thin on day to day (week to week) hive management.
James Stout
Mar 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
My new Bible for Beekeeping. It's got great illustrations and very practical information. I think this might even be enjoyable for somebody not interested in keeping bees. ...more
Kimbolimbo
Jan 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed it. Quick, simple, informative and relaxing.
Kyle Horton
Jul 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great intro to bee keeping, hoping to get my bees next summer!
Jason Caldwell
Apr 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
A great resource for raising bees.
Meowzette
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Required reading for my Master Beekeeping course, Apprentice exam. Very good information. Excellent reference.
Sybil
Feb 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This is the book that was given to students at the Introduction to Beekeeping course, I took last month. Chock full of interesting background and helpful techniques for novice beekeepers.
Tim
Dec 17, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Totally Awesome Book of Useless Information
  • The Dragon and the Raven, or, The Days of King Alfred
  • The Nine Tailors (Lord Peter Wimsey, #9)
  • Stories from Texas: Some of Them Are True
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Mad: Some Weird People in American History
  • Mastering the Art of French Cooking
  • Capitalist Realism: Is There No Alternative?
  • Beekeeping for Dummies
  • The Tennis Partner
  • The Paper Palace
  • Blackout: How Black America Can Make Its Second Escape from the Democrat Plantation
  • Outwitting Squirrels: 101 Cunning Stratagems to Reduce Dramatically the Egregious Misappropriation of Seed from Your Birdfeeder by Squirrels
  • A Midwife's Song: Oh, Freedom! (A Hope River Novel Book 4)
  • Grandfather's Dance (Sarah, Plain and Tall, #5)
  • Unbound: My Story of Liberation and the Birth of the Me Too Movement