Start by marking “The Distance Between Lost and Found” as Want to Read:
The Distance Between Lost and Found

The Distance Between Lost and Found

Ever since the night of the incident with Luke Willis, the preacher’s son, sophomore Hallelujah Calhoun has been silent. When the rumors swirled around school, she was silent. When her parents grounded her, she was silent. When her friends abandoned her … silent.

Now, six months later, on a youth group retreat in the Smoky Mountains, Hallie still can’t find a voice to answe
Published February 17th 2015 by HarperTeen

Emily May
Sep 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Part emotional contemporary, part survival story; part deeply sad, but part a story of hope against the odds. In short: this is one strong YA debut.

I've been turned off by many of the contemporary YA novels due to be released in 2015, all of which seem to promise some combination of Rainbow Rowell meets John Green meets Matthew Quick. I've enjoyed books by all those authors but now I'm looking for something fresh that can also pack an emotional punch.

Well, I found it.

This book does something rat
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*

I didn't really read the blurb on this book very well when I picked it up. I saw lost in the woods....
Chicago commercial photographers

And kids having to survive in the Smoky Mountain wilderness..
Chicago commercial photographers

And I was totally in. I love those kinds of books.

Then I realized that this book is kinda Christian based. But it was so good that I kept reading it. Then I realized..I kinda liked it.

The kids in this book are all on a youth retreat in the mountains. The main character Hallelujah Calhoun aka Hallie has suddenly changed her p
✦❋Arianna✦❋
4 Stars!!

“The Distance Between Lost and Found” is not your usual YA romance story. It’s a mystery/realistic fiction/coming of age story that deals with many important themes. It’s a raw, honest, real and powerful story that deals with a sensitive subject matter. It’s an inspirational story and I can say in some way it also was an educational read. This was my first survival story, so I didn’t know what to expect. I'm glad to say I really enjoyed it. The survival aspect of the story (and not only
Sue (Hollywood News Source)
DNFED AT PAGE 174

I usually do not review ARCs early, especially if I did not like it. But I had read quite a few disturbing books lately that lean to misogyny and sexism. Sexism is still sexism, no matter how sly or someone's intention are.

I could sometimes swallow these things when reading a book. I could look passed it, but if it’s coming from the hero, the main guy of the story, the guy I was supposed to swoon over and find good. No, thanks.

I really liked The Distance Between Lost and Found
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘
"She feels hope well up. She isn’t sure what to do with it. Hope is scary. Expecting the worst is easier."

Actual rating : 2.5 stars, rounded up at 3 because I'm lost, guys. More I think about it, more I reread some parts, less I want to round up. Guess I can be fickle like that.

Open the book. Hooked. Mad. Hooked. Uncomfortable. Hooked. Worried. Hooked. Scared. Hooked. Overwhelmed. Hooked. Annoyed. Yeah, but hooked.

Close the book. I feel like I've been brainwashed and that I just reached
Aj the Ravenous Reader

The Distance Between Lost and Found, a YA contemporary is surprisingly a very symbolic, literary read. The plot which had many layers was very engaging. I appreciate the author’s strategy in putting across the meaning of the story. How Hallie’s struggles and her losses (of confidence, self-worth, friends and even the desire to sing) were mirrored in what she, Rachel and Jonah went through when they got lost in the mountains during a youth church camp and they had to literally fend for their live
Lauren ✨ (YABookers)
I received a free copy via Edelweiss for review purposes.

First Impression: The Distance Between Lost and Found is a powerful and moving story of survival in both the physical and mental sense. I LOVED it, and Hallie (short for Hallelujah) is very much a relatable character who struggles to find her voice, but when she does it's truly inspirational.

"The storm won't last long. And, Hallelujah realizes, sometimes you need the storm to really appreciate the sun and the blue sky."

Review: Something b
Faye, la Patata
PH/Filipino readers!!! You can win a review copy of this one of the blog!!

I think Lady Luck has blessed me because I just found another awesome read that pulled the right heartstrings. My friends, I present you, The Distance Between Lost and Found, the novel-that-you-better-read-soon-or-else.

Or else what, you ask?

OR ELSE YOU'LL MISS ON A FANTASTIC BOOK, THAT'S WHAT!

This book surprised me on so many levels. I had thought it was all about the usual finding yourself book (which is not bad by any me
Elise (TheBookishActress)
What a heart-wrenching story. It just goes to show that sometimes, randomly picking up a book that's been on your kindle for years is a good decision. This is a story about losing yourself and finding yourself. The plotting here is used as a metaphor; the characters must not only find safety, they must find themselves. Perhaps it sounds cheesy when we're talking about it in a review, but this book is far too emotionally real for cheesiness.

The Distance Between Lost and Found stands out for one
Beth
Going to keep this nice and short!

How did I come to read this? Basically I thought it was something else on my bookshelf but it was the WRONG book! I don't know how that happened!

HOWEVER I did enjoy this book, sometimes I found it quite difficult to read because in the first section (maybe two) you see how awful Hallie is treated. I'm never very good when it comes to reading about bullying as it brings up some painful memories, but I really loved seeing Hallie come into her own (especially the e
Jess at Such a Novel Idea
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. It does not affect the outcome of my opinion in any way.

Compelling, beautiful, and harrowing -- this book had me from the first paragraph. A great plot, interwoven with some fabulous and deep backstory made this a read I won't forget anytime soon. A story of bullying, a story of finding your voice, a story of survival (in more ways than one), and a story of finding who you are in the world -- this was an excellent read.

Review MUCH
Lauren Morrill
Jan 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I beta-read this one, and it's so amazing. Put it on your to-read list NOW!
Romie
Mar 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary
I’m seriously so pleasantly surprised! I remember buying this book on my 19th birthday, I’ll be 22 this year, which means it took me nearly 3 years to finally get to this book. But I did. And I didn’t exactly remember what it was about, so I went into this book without really knowing the synopsis, and I think maybe that’s one of the reasons I ended up enjoying this book this much. Also I read it in less than 5 hours. I just decided to read this book in one sitting and, okay it was two because I ...more
Cindy Rodriguez
Kathryn Holmes does a great job of blending the adventure/survival story with contemporary YA issues. First, on the survival front: Holmes does not go easy on her characters. Hallie, Rachel, and Jonah purposely leave their group and figure it would be easy enough to find their way back. Right. The physical challenges they face include a limited amount of food and clean water, poison ivy, and a severely sprained ankle--for starters. Things get worse. Much worse. The increasing tension related to ...more
Jul 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Hallelujah is being bullied. Ever since an event 6 months ago that concerned a boy called Luke, Hallelujah has been friendless and constantly sneered at.
Now finally un-grounded, and on a youth-group trip, Hallelujah remains a victim, and feels that even the new girl Rachel will turn on her once she finds how unpopular she is.

Then, unexpectedly, Hallelujah, Rachel and Jonah a
Kels
I'm not sure exactly how I feel about this book. It's well written with nicely developed characters, and an interesting plot line, yet I just didn't connect to it on an emotional level. For me, The Distance Between Lost and Found was a rather mild and tame read (which is extremely surprising considering the intensity of the plot), but I was looking for that "emotional punch" as Zoe states in her review, which pretty much summed up my thoughts on it.
Nancy
Oct 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This may be my favorite YA book this year. In fact, in a long time. It's a simple read about a Christian youth camp that Hallelujah didn't want to go to because the preacher's boy told some lies and ruined her reputation. But she goes and meets Rachel, the new girl, and ends up on a trail with Rachel and a former friend, Jonah. They get lost. It's a bad lost. For days. The author details the lostness and the hunger, the lack of shelter and warmth. It's quite well written.

Within this story of bei
Gail Nall
Feb 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 15ers, arc, ya
This is such an amazing book. It's equal parts sad, exciting, funny, and thought-provoking. I do love a survival story--and this one is about not only physical survival, but also emotional survival. The story is set in the Smokey Mountains, and the setting is so well-written. Beautiful book!
Kerry Cerra
Feb 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
Hallelujah (Hallie, Hal) has suffered gravely at the lies of the preacher's son, Luke, and as much as she's suffering, she can't bring herself to tell anyone the truth about what really happened that night. She know she should. She wants to. But she can't. And Luke continues to torture her socially to make sure she stays quiet. But, getting lost with two other campers in the Smokey Mountains while on a youth group trip, Hallie begins to find her inner strength. Rescued or not, she makes peace wi ...more
Christy
Jul 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This is one of those books that I wasn’t going to request because I had so many review books that I had yet to read but then I just sit there and stared at the computer screen before I found myself hovering over the download button. And I guess you already know what happened from there since you’re reading this review. In all honesty though, I’m glad I gave into temptation because this was such a gripping and captivating story.

Hallelujah (Yes, that’s her real name and I don’t think I ever reall
justonemorechapter
*Actual rating: 4.5*

The Distance Between Lost and Found was a very sweet book. It was simple yet sort of complicated, if that makes sense. Regardless the story was beautiful and a remarkable debut novel for Kathryn Holmes.

I loved how this book was a perfect realistic fiction read. It was true to the genre with a great balance between realistic and fiction. In realistic fiction books I try to think of how relatable the story and characters are. Books like these can be hard to come by as they are
Jessica Woodbury
Right now my book selection consists of reading blind: starting something knowing nothing about it, giving it time to grab me, and moving on if it doesn't. This book is one that had me from the start and made me feel really good about my current process. I may never have picked it up from the summary and missed the great experience that came from reading it.

Hallelujah's shame and struggle after a scandal last year at Youth Retreat have affected her deeply. When she gets lost in the woods with th
Yonaily

Este libro me hizo enojar.

Estás loca, Hallie. ¿De verdad vas a enamorarte de la persona que permitió que te se burlaran de ti sin mover un dedo para defenderte?

“Right. But like I said, I didn’t know that. You were practically on top of him, and you looked like—and Luke said it was all your idea, and you didn’t say anything, not then and not after—” He breaks off. Picks up again. “I didn’t like thinking about you doing something like that. I was mad. I wanted it to be me. That’s why I didn’t s
Beth  (YA Books Central)
"But she's also talking to God. Because she's alone and lost and tired, and now would be a great time to feel like there's someone watching over her, like everything's going to be okay. But she doesn't. It's like there's nothing there."

What a beautiful, emotionally gripping story of a young girl who overcomes being bullied and proves to everyone how strong she really is.

When reading the synopsis of this book I knew that I was about to enter a story full of emotion and heartbreak but I also knew
Book
Mar 14, 2014 added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
This would have been a good book as just a wilderness survival story, but Holmes also explores friendship, trust, and faith which makes the story even richer. Add this to your TBR.
Jeraca
Sep 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, read-but-unowned
I received this free eARC in exchange for my honest review.

So I just have to say it: I would never want to be named Hallelujah. I get why, but man oh man do I feel sorry for this girl!

I am quite surprised by how well I enjoyed this novel. The synopsis sounded good, but when I was reading it I devoured the story and could not wait to see what else the three main characters were going to encounter next.

Even though this novel is set at a youth group trip and God was mentioned quite a bit, it wasn
Read InAGarden
Jul 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hallie's life changed the moment she stepped out of her normal role and acted on an impulse. That impulse led to bullying, lies and torment. Six months later she is still trying to pick up the pieces of her life when she goes on a church retreat. A day hike in the woods goes terribly wrong when Hallie, Jonah and Rachel get lost and have to learn to depend on each other for survival. Over several harrowing days, Hallie finds the strength to reveal to Jonah and Rachel what really happened six mont ...more
Alex
Nov 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Consistently thoughtful, realistic, and compassionate handling of difficult personal situations in the midst of a very scary practical one.
Sandra Waugh
Such a good read!
Jen Ryland
This story took a while to get going, but by the halfway point, when things really got grim for this trio of teens who run off from a church hiking trip, then get lost in the wilderness, I settled into the story and ended up enjoying it.

There was one thing that drove me a bit crazy but that I learned to live with. I'm not a huge fan of books written in the third person present. To me, it's a weird (and distancing) tense, as if the whole story is being told in voiceover.

But I did come to like Ha
  • Underneath Everything
  • Little Peach
  • Twisted Fate
  • Better Than Perfect
  • Tabula Rasa (Tabula Rasa, #1)
  • Making Pretty
  • Finding Paris
  • Everything That Makes You
  • Every Last Promise
  • Skyscraping
  • The Memory Key
  • Lies I Told (Lies I Told, #1)
  • Pretending to Be Erica
Kathryn Holmes grew up in Maryville, Tennessee, and now lives in Brooklyn, New York, with her husband, daughter, and piles upon piles of books. A graduate of The New School's MFA in Creative Writing program, Kathryn works as a freelance dance journalist, among other writing gigs. She's the author of The Distance Between Lost and Found and How It Feels to Fly.
“But is it that easy? Can she just decide not to be that person anymore—the one she hates? Can she really move on?” 3 likes