Start by marking “Mozart with 2 CDs: His Life & Music (Naxos Books)” as Want to Read:
Mozart with 2 CDs: His Life & Music (Naxos Books)

Mozart with 2 CDs: His Life & Music (Naxos Books)

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  43 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Sourcebooks MediaFusion and Naxos proudly present the life and works of Mozart, complete with two audio CDs and an exclusive website.

In this lively and accessible biography, Jeremy Siepmann reminds us of a remarkable natural talent who was, however, all too human. Read the text and listen to two CDs containing a carefully chosen cross-section of Mozart's music. Readers al
Published June 1st 2006 by Sourcebooks MediaFusion (first published November 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Mozart with 2 CDs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mozart with 2 CDs

Papalodge
Jun 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Mozart His Life & Music is not your usual biography.
Reading this is akin to taking a college course on Mozart, without having to go to class. Yet having your favorite profess at chairside.

Six things about the book which struck my fancy were:

1. Each aspect of Motzart's compositions are presented separately: keyboard music, symphonies and concertos, theater and opera, requiems and choral music.

2. His tours are mapped out town by town traveling
a.- by coach (like traveling economy if Lufthansa
Joel Ballard
Jun 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Once again, a story told in "letters". Although technically this is a biographical account, it feel's much like a novel, with its chronological narrative of both Wolfgang and Leopold Mozart's life; told in great lengths through written correspondences between them. These letters reveal both a surprising disposition and character in both, and a seldom recognized indifference and practicality to Wolfgang in his later years toward personal relationships. It also casts a strong shadow of the dominat ...more
Stephenie Schukraft
Apr 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
I've read four other Mozart biographies and this had a few interesting tidbits I had never seen before. It was an enjoyable read, however I felt that the organization of the chapters was a bit confusing. Between episodes of the continuing story of Mozart's life we are treated to history and music appreciation lessons. I felt these chapters were better left separated from the biography portion of the book.

The author notes that Mozart enjoyed writing both music and letters-- there is a great coll
Peter Galamaga
Apr 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great job by Jeremy Siepmann! After giving up on another Mozart book (Holmes), I found this quite readable, enjoyable, and edifying.
The combination of music CDs that are referenced throughout the book really enhanced the experience.
I have a renewed appreciation of Mozart, the man and composer. However, I think I will now always feel a tinge of sadness when listening to his music. His father, while raising a genius, did some real damage to his son.
Emily
Jul 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
The author did a good job talking about Mozart's pieces and then it was great to listen to them as I learned about them. It was sad to learn that Mozart desired greatly to be loved for himself--not for his music. The author does a good job talking about him professionally and personally.
Gretchen
Mar 23, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: biography, nonfiction
Ever since I saw the movie "Amadeus," I've been wanting to read a good biography of Mozart. However, this isn't it. I had high hopes for this book, as it came with two CDs of Mozart's works that were referenced throughout the book. Unfortunately, I found the practice of going from work to work to be laborious, as the author would sometimes reference 3 works in a row, so I had to either listen to each one for only a minute or so before moving on or take 10 minutes out of my reading time to listen ...more
Mick Pletcher
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is a very interesting biography of Mozart's extravagant life. It does well in linking each composition with significant events throughout his life. I had no idea his sister was also an extraordinary musician. One interesting point was that Mozart liked Benjamin Franklin's glass armonica so much, that he composed what is considered the greatest composition for that instrument. I wish the book had covered his relations with Antonio Salieri. Mozart's last vocals were humming the drum beats ...more
Justin Hill
Dec 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the third I've listened to in this series. They are all excellent with a good mix of interesting biography and music excerpts. I'm coming to find out that you apparently can't be a musical genius unless you have a very troubled relationship with your father.
Daniel Brown
Nov 30, 2015 rated it liked it
This was pretty interesting. I knew nothing about Mozart except that he had a cool middle name. His father was definitely a "Hollywood Mom" type of parent. The book was a little choppy though, but I'm still glad that I read it.
Ali
Apr 16, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Was für ein Komponist!
Michael Brown
Sep 04, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great audiobook. Really brings out the relationship between father and son.

Also - I realized there is a ton of Mozart music that I haven't listened to yet!
Cynthia
Jul 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
It's an interesting book about Mozart. There is a lot of information about his music. I don't have a lot of knowledge about music, but I still find it very interesting.
Simon