Start by marking “Gemma's Bluff” as Want to Read:
Gemma's Bluff

Gemma's Bluff

Gemma's life has always been a foregone conclusion: school, uni, then into the family business. Her best friend, Jasmine, is a whole other story. She thrives on spontaneity, her room is always a mess and she rarely sits down and plans anything in her life.

When Gemma and Jasmine decide to go on a working holiday together on a property in central New South Wales, their frien
Kindle Edition
Published November 19th 2014 by Allen & Unwin Australia

To ask other readers questions about Gemma's Bluff, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gemma's Bluff

Start your review of Gemma's Bluff
Sharon
Jun 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gemma Northcote and Jasmine Beadman (Jazz) had been best friends since the first day of school, but they were nothing alike, in fact they were the complete opposite of one another. Gemma was the sensible one who didn't like to do anything out of the ordinary, but Jazz was adventurous and liked to try new things and go out and have a good time. So when Gemma hears that they are heading off on an unpaid working holiday as jillaroos to a station northwest of New South Wales she can't believe it.

Ev
Brenda
4.5s

An unpaid working holiday as a jillaroo on a large rural property was not Gemma Northcote’s idea of fun, but when best friend Jazz got an idea into her head, nothing was going to shift it. One of Jazz’s friends, Brittany, had been moaning about having to cancel a holiday to the Gold Coast to stay and work on her brother’s farm, so Jazz had volunteered both her and Gemma’s (highly inexperienced) hands. The long drive from Sydney to the little town of Bingorra in the Australian bush where the
Jenny
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gemma's Bluff is sweet romance between two people Nash Whittaker and Gemma Northcote who never though they will ever find love. Gemma Northcote and Jasmine (Jazz) Beadman decided after finishing university and before finding employment to have a rural working holiday on Nash Whittaker property Dunoon. However, Gemma and Jazz did not take in consideration that Nash Whittaker did not know anything about then working on his property. Readers of Gemma's Bluff will continue to laugh their way to the ...more
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out

Gemma's Bluff, Karly Lane's sixth novel, is a contemporary story of friendship, love and self discovery set against the backdrop of rural Australia.

Having just graduated from university and in need of a break before being press ganged into the family business, Gemma Northcote reluctantly agrees to join her best friend, Jasmine, on a six week working holiday on a farming property in rural New South Wales. While carefree Jazz isn't the least bit concerned about their lack of experience - 'google'
Em&M
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love a good sweet country romance, but many of them contain city slicker women. Being from the country myself I can find this annoying, but I was instantly endeared to Gemma. Though she's a city slicker, she's willing to have a go, doesn't fold, and sticks by her word. She's a relatable character, and I perhaps too closely related to the struggles of Gemma and Nash against their own desires and family responsibility, so realistic was it. Likewise I enjoyed the town and property drawn by Lane, ...more
A Reading Girl
Jul 22, 2020 rated it did not like it
Dianne Sidebottom
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book. (when I read the first paragraph I thought I had read this scenario before but It wasn't this book). I am glad to read books from our local library. This was a book that I wanted to read for sometime, now I have. Karly would have some newer titles out which I look forward in reading. ( it touches on women who wait at home waiting for their menfolk to come home from the paddock n the emotional mess it brings. Real Life.)
Susan
Jul 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Really just a romance novel with very little substance . It started out OK but got rather boring and predictable. The last few chapters of the "I love him but" stuff was really boring and felt like it was just filling up space.
Jaylee Neal
Jul 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My first Karly book, I fell in love and I think I related to Gemma myself being someone who has to finish a job or a task all the way through, I fell in love with the way Nash fell for her my heart just went in a mush.
Rae Hawkins
Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book by Karly Lane. I was given it as a Birthday gift and would have to say it is the best gift ever. I was sad when the book ended but also happy because it an awesome story
Lisa
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book and couldn’t put it down
Debra
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very good book. Enjoyable from start to finish.
Cara
Jun 07, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whilst I really enjoyed this book, it is also a story that feels cliche. And the character Jazz is someone/the type of person who really irritates me.
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
Oct 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-books
Karly Lane has nailed it yet again. I thoroughly enjoyed Gemma’s Bluff, which is the latest offering from contemporary Australian rural fiction author Karly Lane. Gemma Northcoate is the heroine of Lane’s novel. Gemma and her best mate Jasmine accept a working holiday on a rural farming property called Dunoon, in a small rural town called Bingorra, central New South Wales. Performing the daily routines at Dunoon gives Gemma a new lease on life. She also finds herself falling in love with Dunoon’ ...more
Kim Davidson
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this story so much. Very hard to put the book down.
Suzanne
Sep 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Have waited for the next book by Karly Lane for a while so purchased it on Friday and completed it on Saturday. This is what you can do when you have reports go home and the end of the school year is nigh.
Back to the book... an easy read that starts out with the McLeod's Daughters type scenario (Gosh that was a great series until they started killing characters off) and progresses at a steady pace. Gemma was an easy to relate to character and Jazz the flippant friend that had her own life challe
Renee
May 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015
I love contemporary Australian fiction and this is a great one in a rural setting. It is a story of city girls in the country, friendship, romance and self discovery. I really liked Gemma and could imagine being friends with her in real life.

There were lots of moments where I laughed out loud. I particularly liked the scene where the girls used the 2-way radio for the first time. The plot threw a few twists at me that I wasn't expecting and kept me engaged the whole way through.

This is the fir
Dianne Wood
Dec 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
what a beautiful story I have just finished it now at 11.30pm and with tears running down my cheeks after 2 nights resting picked it up again at 6pm and could not put it down, you are a wonderful writer Karly Lane another out standing book
Vanessa
Mar 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What an extremely enjoyable read!! Loved it!! But didn't like Jasmine much!! Known a few Jasime in my life and yes I just wanted to shake some sense into them too!! My apologies to the sensible Jasimes out there!!
Deb Bodinnar
Jan 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Didn't want to put this one down. Under 24 hours and it's finished. A coupe of city girls hit the country for a taste of farm life, turns out one enjoys it more than she ever expected!
Sue
Jan 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Yes
Shelves: books-i-own
I enjoyed Gemma's story and all of Karly's other books.
Stacey Houllis
Feb 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rural-romance
Another book from Karly Lane set in the back drop of country rural Australia. I pick it up to read and could not put it read it in 24 hours. Would recommend this book to others.
Kay Graves
Jan 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Loved this book even though it was a little predictable. Love a good rural romance.
Shelley
Sep 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Once again another great read by Karly Lane....not one book I haven't enjoyed.....can't wait to read your next book
Janine
Dec 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another great book by Karly Lane.
Wendy Reinmuth
Nov 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
very good
Victoria Kulyk
May 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book. Loved the aspect of fake it till you make it! Fun and loving characters with a steady pace of progression.
Anita-maree
Dec 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
loved this story.. didnt want to put the book down when i started it.. :)
Bj
Nov 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a warm-hearted wonderful read. With believable and lovable characters; Gemma's Bluff made me laugh and even had me sobbing on the plane.

I didn't want this book to end. :D

Lorreen
Jan 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
What a great Australian Rural Romance.
Loved it, now I want more....

• Summer in Provence
  • A Riviera Retreat
  • Summer at Coastguard Cottages
  • Something in the Wine
  • Shadows Of Hunters Ridge (Hunters Ridge #2)
  • Riley Junction
  • Charlie's Will (Barrington Book 1)
  • Legacy Of Hunters Ridge
  • Country at Heart
  • Red Dust
  • The Cedar Tree (Tullagulla Book 1)
  • Talk Of The Town
  • Take Me Home (Bindarra Creek A Town Reborn #1)
  • Water Under the Bridge (Chalk Hill #1)
  • Willows Bend
  • You Had me at Bonjour
  • Home at Last
  • Christmas at The Chocolate Pot Café (Whitsborough Bay, #7)
Karly Lane lives on the beautiful Mid North Coast of NSW in Australia. A certified small town girl, she is most happy in a little town where everyone knows who your grand parents were. She writes women’s fiction – everything from romantic suspense to family sagas and life in rural Australia. She has romantic suspense titles published under Karlene Blakemore-Mowle and her latest release, Third Time ...more