Start by marking “Insipid” as Want to Read:

Insipid

I’ve lived scrupulously, loved greatly, and shared my blessings equitably.

But life hasn’t been fair with me.

Now I’m drowning in the middle of the ocean, desperately searching for the shore, surren
Published June 14th 2014

To ask other readers questions about Insipid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Insipid

Trisha ❊ Devoured Words
MIND. BLOWN. It's INCREDIBLE book. Outstanding and so many FEELS. What a roller coaster ride. Intense and angst-y.

Review to come.

description

BLURB

Banal. Lifeless and Colorless. These are the words that describe my life. I’ve made the right choices, done all the right things. I’m strong, intelligent and highly successful. I’m at the highest point in my career, envied by many women, admired by many men. I’ve lived scrupulously, loved greatly, and shared my blessings equitably.

But life hasn’t been fair with
Vanessa
4.5 EMOTIONAL & MIND BLOWING STARS!!!

Touching, realistic, emotional and so romantic. Oh, and I LOVE Lucas Martinez..just thought I would throw that in there before I get started. There are just not enough HOT LATIN men in books today!!!!

photo 1800951_10151925432425869_1758450097_n_zpsefb08e64.jpg

”Living a lie can kill you. It erases the very essence of who you are. Pretending to feel, masking your thoughts, faking your words day in and day out—these actions leave you with an excruciating pain in your chest, a heaviness in your heart, a loathing f
Robin
What would you do if you realized you were living a lie? Imagine that everything is white, bland. Imagine you just exist; you’re barely going through the motions. What would you be willing to do to bring color back to your world? Could you handle the resulting torrent of emotions? Would you be able to accept this new reality? Or would you deny it? Would you be able to make changes to your life? Author Christine Brae explores these questions and more in her new novel titled Insipid.

At forty-two y
Jaime
Apr 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Currently 99 pennies. A steal. Really.

The third book by Brae has the ability to pack so much emotion into her writing. I was captivated by the first chapter, my highlighter was active, and tears in my eyes. The reason why I love her work is that she is able to make you psychically feel what the characters are feeling: anger, hurt, heartbreak, and happiness. The rollercoaster of emotions you experience in her works are powerful. Her words are always beautiful. It was especially great to see Luca
Billie Lawson
Aug 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Christine Brae did it again! I really enjoy this author and her storytelling ability as well as the way she creates flawed characters that you really want to root for. The message in Insipid will resonate with me for a long time to come. I also enjoy the way the story came full circle from the beginning to the end. This author is an automatic one-click for me from now on! 4.5 stars
Emma L
Apr 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Oh God with tears in my eyes I say ; I am done with insipid . What a beautiful book. Last page tore me up . I think I need rehab now . many of us can relate to Jane , no matter the age or ethnicity or your physic . Every woman at some point in life feels insecure , Indecisive , lost , confuse , heartbroken , scared and the list goes on and on . Definitely a must read . Love it !!!!
Fred
Jun 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It was Plato, I'm pretty sure, who first described love as a form of "divine madness," and Insipid does an awesome job of putting flesh on the bones of that abstract concept. It's a beautiful story, beautifully told, that unfolds gradually, just as MC Jade's world is crumbling around her. But that process of destruction is also a process of creation, as each seemingly crushing blow contains within it the seeds of the next stage of Jade's journey. What I really loved most about this book was the ...more
Suzanne
Dec 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book, this book, it was so so so beautiful.

Again Christine managed to grip me with a prologue that made me dive right in.

When the book begins, Jade is living in a world that has no color for her, only black and white. Something has happened to cause all the color to drain from her life.

'Life happens at every moment'

I was confused, but a good confused. It caused me to keep turning the pages. I was hungry for more of the story. I needed to keep reading, to know what happened.

Jade is a high
Jan 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Laura’s review:
I wasn’t sure what to expect when I began reading Insipid. Here’s this woman who was SO different from anything I have ever been….I wondered how I would relate to anything she was going through. Little did I know how much I would love this story.
(It’s the)Same story, same words, read at a different time. Interpreted in a way that reflected our respective life situations.
That little quote from Insipid, totally sums up my feelings for this book. Sure. Not everyone is going to feel a
Anna Green
Feb 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Finished Insipid yesterday and I still have the "butterfly" etched in my mind. It's a beautiful story, captivating and it warmed my heart. Some snippets of Jade's character and attitude I can totally relate to. I have read Christine's previous books and I noticed this one has a different feel. The words are more lyrical, almost poetic. It is more mellow and I love it. I love Jade's strength and vulnerability, Chris reminds me of someone I used to know and I feel sorry for Josh for all that has h ...more
Kissa Mil Xu
What can I say?! I am a certified Christine Brae fan! This woman breaks my heart every time I read her books. INSIPID is soooo good, so emotional and very angsty it cuts right to the core. I loved it. If you are looking for something heavy, emotional and inspiring read, this book is for you. <3

KC
Jun 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-books
"Please remind me, why I need to go to work..... If i can stay in my room and lock myself reading this amazing book!!! I’m reading it slowly, all the emotions are sinking in my heart and mind. Wow! Compelling read." Once again... you're a brave person Christine Brae!
Jade Goodmore
Jul 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I began this book with a wealth of hope given that I'd massively enjoyed Christine Brae's previous two books, and THANK GOD, it didn't disappoint!

Insipid is classed as a romance, yes, but it's so much more than that. It's a story of survival, of growth, of dealing with the crap life throws at you as well as the good. And how do you handle that good when you're still caught up in the crap?

I have to say, I didn't get the main character; I couldn't relate in the slightest, even given the fact that
Melissa Jones
Dec 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I finished reading Insipid in the wee hours of the morning, simply because I could not put it down. I couldn't write a review immediately, instead I've tried to gather my thoughts and come up with the words to give this amazing book the amazing review it so deserves, yet I know there's no way I can do it justice. Christine Brae is such a talented author, her books The Light in the Wound and His Wounded Light are two of my most cherished books and now Insipid has joined them at the top of my list ...more
Jennifer Weaver
Apr 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Once again Christine Brae has floored me with her writing. She is absolutely one of my go to authors....I fell in love with her Wounded Light series......and now she has created another master piece that sucked me in. I loved Jades strength coupled with her insecurity. ..who would have known those two traits would look so beautiful on a character. The love in this story with ALL involved is stunningly beautiful. The path of forgiveness Jade sets off on to reconcile with her past is hauntingly an ...more
Anna
Jun 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Touched a nerve.... Wow! Compelling read
Krystle Marie
Dec 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Let me start off by saying Christine Brae is a brave, brave woman. She picks topics that others may be too scared to write about and she throws her whole being into her words. My favorite authors are those that are willing to take risks and Christine Brae is absolutely a risk taker. I admire her bravery and commend her for going against the grain.

Insipid drew me in right from the first pages. It is actually humorous to me how intense the prologue is and how invested I was in after just reading i
Christine (Shh Moms Reading)
I will give Christine Brae credit for writing another well written and beautiful book.

The main heroine in this book is a 42 year old woman, Jade Richmond, who is a top executive at her company, rich, successful and smart. The only thing that is seemingly lacking for her is a real and deep true love. I have to admit here that I didn't connect with Jade at all. I didn't know her, I didn't understand her while I was reading this story and I wanted to SO desperately. I felt so removed from her beca
Maureen Hoar
Jun 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I wasn't sure of what to expect in this book. The cover was a major draw for me. But the inside is a masterpiece. This story chronicles the journey of jade after catastrophic events in her life send her do spiralling out of control. As a young girl she fell in love and was hurt badly. She spent the next twenty years just going through the motions trying to please anyone but herself. You can see her patterns of acceptance because she's feels like she needed to atone for her mistakes. Until Lucas. ...more
Jules
Feb 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a beautiful, heartbreaking and well written story with great messages. More than a romance, to me this was a story about Jade's journey. She's flawed, lost and empty. She was just going through the motions. My heart went out to her when I found out what happened to her. I didn't like some of her actions but she was human and I couldn't help but to root for her.

"Life is a crazy combination of phases. We all go through different stages in life and all handle them in many ways."

"If you t
Fey
May 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Oh Christine Brae did it again! This book is going to stick with my heart for a long while just like her first two books. Her storytelling ability never fail to touch my soul. The Prologue almost killed me. I could already feel different emotions and assumptions running through my veins from there. Jade Richmond's past experiences and mixed emotions along with the seasons of life were such an inspiration to me. I will always carry the lessons I've learned from her through my ups and downs.

Give I
Kristann Monaghan
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book took me by quite the surprise! At first, I was not sure I was liking Jade but she intrigued me....drawing me into her story. Soon, I was caught up in her and wanted to know more. I got so involved I read this in one sitting! Fantastic twists and turns. Christine Brae leaves you aching for more and teaching you about love, loss, and redemption. Jade, Lucas and Chris will teach you more about yourself than you will realize. I was left contemplating my own life and brushing tears off my f ...more
Barbara
Dec 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Christine Brae put her heart and soul into the writing, this is her third book and her writing just continues to improve with each book. The story flowed really well and was broken into 3 parts present and past. There was a lot of heart break and pain, but also happy parts. And a few funny parts “the birds” for instance!!! I love Lucas but my heart went out to Chris so much for his pain and suffering too!!
Hmmmm we could have a Chris story??
mc
Jun 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
4.5 it's great to read a story that is about adults who have life experience- a protagonist in her early 40s vs one in her early 20s, about someone who's experienced tragedy and copes with it in a very human and flawed way. Along that way she finds someone coping with his own life's challenges in an equally (but different kind of) flawed way. No loose ends. The story is complete. Different. Really good. Definitely recommended.
Christy Bravo
Jul 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Insipid

I don't know where to begin.This was one of the most heartfelt books I have ever read.It makes you think of your own decisions and how to refocus on your life.I truly love this book. Christine's books are filled with love,tragedy and forgiveness.Everyone needs to read this.
Amanda Niehoff
Jun 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Delightfully refreshing! A wonderful story of overcoming loss.
Jaimie
Jun 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
slow start,but so worth sticking with it. I was very happy with how it turned out! shed a few tears and laughed out loud :)
Loleetha
May 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite
another excellent book from christine brae. I really enjoyed the journey of jade richmond. I can't predict what she is going to do.
Bianca
Jun 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Insipid has to be the most heartbreakingly beautiful story I have ever read. The author Christine Brae is a genius. I know this because I've read her other books. But. This. Book. It went beyond anything I could have ever imagined. It was painful. It was brilliant. I didn't just read this book. I lived it.

"Life happens at every moment."

"Live or exist. The choice has always been mine."

Jade Richmond doesn't live. She exists. Her past and present
All Romance
Jun 17, 2014 rated it really liked it

MICHELLE'S REVIEW

I read Christine's first two books- The Light in the Wound and His Wounded Light.

Insipid is a standalone but for those of you who read Christine's other books- I think there were a lot of similarities.

Let me start of by saying I really did enjoy this book. I thought that it was smart and sexy and the author has a way with words that draws you in.

My biggest issues lies with Jade, our main character. Let me explain. There were moments I really liked Jade. But sometimes, I was an
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Shattered
  • Love Nouveau (The Art of Falling Duet #1)
  • Dear Tabitha (Forever Family, #2)
  • My Winter
  • Red Dirt Road (Saving Angels, #2)
  • penance. (Böhme, #1)
  • Before and Ever Since
  • Lost in Flight (Complicated Love, #2)
  • Ending a Torn Past (Journey, #2)
  • Running in Place (Mending Hearts, #2)
  • Then There Was You (So Much It Hurts, #2)
  • Fury (The Cure, #1)
  • Vanguard
  • Miami Hush Club: Episode 2 (Miami Hush Club, #2)
  • Jackson (Choisie, #0.5)
  • Without a Trace (Walking a Thin Blue Line, #3)
  • Unable to Resist
  • Survival Games
Christine Brae is a full time career woman who thought she could write a book about her life and then run away as far as possible from it. She never imagined that her words would touch the hearts of so many women with the same story to tell. Christine is the author of The Light in the Wound, His Wounded Light (2013), Insipid (2014). Her latest book, In This Life, released in 2016 and is currently ...more
“Time waits for no one.” 3 likes