Start by marking “Alcatraz Escape Files” as Want to Read:
Alcatraz Escape Files

Alcatraz Escape Files

When the 23-year-old kidnapper Theodore Cole arrived at Alcatraz in 1935, he already had two violent escape attempts on his record. Not surprisingly, within twenty-four months, he made yet another run for freedom.

Freedom: men locked up in maximum-security, minimum-privilege USP Alcatraz spent their time thinking about it, dreaming of it, plotting ways to achieve it. Thoug
Published 2014 by Golden Gate National Parks Conservancy

To ask other readers questions about Alcatraz Escape Files, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alcatraz Escape Files

Y
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's so weird to go back to my older interests; I remember hassling my mom to buy this book back when I was a kiddo who loved Alcatraz... well, thank God I finally got around to reading it. Genuinely interesting, and certainly a lot more accurate than kid-me's interpretations of the stories.
Kailyn
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book and really enjoyed the layout of each escape chapter. It was cool seeing the copies of the paperwork and the various pictures throughout the book. Reading this made me want to learn even more about Alcatraz :)
Shannon
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love stuff like this! They even included copies of the inmate's original paperwork. I felt like I was snooping I'm classified documents. It was all rather thrilling.
Beela
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is so well done and entertaining. I've already taken it on 4 road trips.
Sarah Russell
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fascinating look at Alcatraz, its prisoners and how detailed their escape plans were. Very much enjoyed this one.
Sierra
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great overview of the 14 escape attempts including brief bios on the prisoners & copies of official paperwork. The maps & pictures added much!
Amii Richards
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
very cool. they put so much documentation and told the stories so easy to follow.
Valencia
Feb 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Clear descriptions of the escapees and very detailed book with lots of info. Very good book that's worth the Alcatraz viewing and purchasing the book!
Owen Gunn
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In the book Alcatraz Escape Files many of the inmates are well know people for the crimes they have committed. In the early nineteen hundreds Alcatraz was known as the highest secured prison in the world. Every inmate’s thoughts were how to get out of Alcatraz. Most inmates worked as a team with other prisoners, and very few worked alone. Only one group of prisoners ever got out without being found, no one knows for sure if they were dead or alive. A major step for the prisoners was crossing the ...more
Sebastian H
Oct 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
The perfect companion to the Alcatraz tour and the award-winning audio guide. Well, and maybe also to the Michael Bay movie starring Nic Cage and Sean Connery, but that's a slightly embellished story, so it doesn't really count that much. It does have much more explosions though, which the book sorely lacks.

But explosions, car chases and a killer British accent (or was it Scottish, really?) aren't needed when displaying the will of men who, after losing everything and being trapped in the most
Donna
Sep 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
An interesting account of escape attempts and outcomes. Nicely put together.
Niall