Start by marking “Blood Red” as Want to Read:
Blood Red

Blood Red

(Earthling Halloween Series #1)

For years, Halloween has been a time for celebration in picturesque Black Stone Bay, RI. But this year, things will be very different. This year, the town will learn that things that go bump in the night are not always figments off the imagination.
Mass Market Paperback, 401 pages
Published September 4th 2007 by Berkley (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Blood Red, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood Red

William M.
Jun 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
No one was more surprised at how good this book was then I was. James A. Moore was on my probation list after receiving back-to-back two-star reviews for his last two books. I almost didn't pick this one up, but I decided to give him one more chance. Needless to say, I was fairly blown away.

Blood Red is a rather large scale story set in a small town, very well written, with characters I really enjoyed learning about. The slow buildup was a gamble, but one that -- for me -- paid off tremendously
Robi
Oct 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who likes gory and vamps
Recommended to Robi by: saw it, read the back, bought it
If you are looking for a good, gory vampire book...this is a good one. I read reviews on this author and was told that he is just as a good as Koontz or King. I wouldn't say he is better but he may be just as good. It was well written and I throughly enjoyed it.
Andi Rawson
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars.
Eric
Oct 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
Very fun vampire novel from James A. Moore! I love that this one keeps the vampires mean and monstrous. The story really builds to an epic finale with lots of threads open for a sequel (and there is one, Blood Harvest!) Recommended to fans of real vampire horror!
Stephanie Rabig
Jun 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Loved this!! The characters were absolutely fantastic.
WendyB
Oct 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Creepy and good, but geez... did everyone in the town have to be as horny as 17 year old boys? Less sex references and more scares, please.
Strega
Mar 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Rather eerie vampire story with several parallels to 'Salem's Lot but sill a really good read.
Esther
Nov 28, 2007 rated it it was ok
Blood Red is pretty decent for a Vampire book. Blood Red is inappropriate at first with sexual context when Maggie, one of the characters, is introduced. There were a lot of characters' stories that were told in third-person, so there are a lot of perspectives when reading this book. Although some people dislike books that jump from one character to another, Blood Red creates a connection that makes this method work. I also commend the author for writing this book so thoroughly. I have always l ...more
Craig
Oct 07, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommended to Craig by: www.fangoria.com
Taking a break from "The Year of Mystery" (sort of!) for a good old-fashioned Horror indulgence, in the spirit of Halloween! I'm a sucker for a good vampire tale (no pun intended, ha!), but I am very particular - I want my vampires to be brutal, scary, and evil. So in that regard, "Blood Red" was great. The first half of the book is reminiscent of "Salem's Lot" (the best vampire story ever written), with a building sense of dread... Unfortunately the climax wasn't as fulfilling, and as a result ...more
Marla Madison
Nov 22, 2015 rated it liked it
This book was loaded with plot development and characters, but could have been (should have been) shorter. History blurbs about the city were sprinkled throughout, most of which readers will ignore. I know I did. And, in general, the book was just overly wordy. Disappointing, as the storyline was a good one and did keep me reading to the end.
Brian Mazur
Jan 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Carefully paced. Good characterization. Solid. All things I love in a good book. This is a good book. Horror is my favorite genre. I am not big on vampire novels though. That said, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Couldn't wait to return to it each night.
Jordan Ross
Oct 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
couldn't stop reading, now I need the next one
Brett
Jun 21, 2009 added it
Horror
Kevin Gallan
Jul 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, own, moore-james-a
a refreshing take on the vampire myth
Elizabeth
Jul 28, 2011 rated it liked it
A good ol' vampire story with the classic massacre and a creepy, resilient villain. Smooth, engaging dialogue, too!
Sabi Edwards
Apr 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
this is a can't put down til you've read it all , type of book
Miriam B. Sayer
Jul 03, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
James Moore isn't f*****g around...
Like the Stephen King classic, Salems Lot, Moore takes on a whole town infested with vampires.
Outi
Mar 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, koneella
Not your average vampire book these days. These vamps are not sexy or cunning and definitely not sparkly. These vamps are what nightmares are made of.
Sue
Aug 01, 2009 rated it liked it
Started off like it would be a really fun vampire story. Seemed to kind of peter out' as it came to an end. Lots of loose ends, but a very good 'voice' to it.
Jade McCulloch
May 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I got this book when browsing Barnes and Noble, looking for something to read. The book reminds me of an early Stephan King, but I enjoyed the story more then I normally enjoy Stephan King.
Terra
Jul 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this Vampire novel, it keeps to many of the popular Vampire stereotypes we've developped but at the same time adds differences that make it unique!
Shannon Hemminger
Jun 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
New twists on the Vampire genre... Strong characters that are each battling their own personal demons. Entertaining read.
Dj
Mar 21, 2018

• Vampire Junction
  • 30 Days of Night: Official Novelization of The Film
  • Carnival
  • Skarlet (The Vampire Trinity, #1)
  • The Shore (The Pines Trilogy, #2)
  • Live Girls (Davey Owen #1)
  • Riverside Blues
  • Vampyrrhic Rites
  • Blood Thirst: 100 Years of Vampire Fiction
  • Dagon Rising (Clickers #3)
  • Wrapped in Red: Thirteen Tales of Vampiric Horror (Wrapped #1)
  • Coffin County
  • Like Death
  • House of Blood
  • Darkfall
  • Down the Road: On the Last Day
  • Allhallow's Eve
  • Motherless Child
James A. Moore is the award winning author of over forty novels, thrillers, dark fantasy and horror alike, including the critically acclaimed Fireworks, Under The Overtree, Blood Red, the Serenity Falls trilogy (featuring his recurring anti-hero, Jonathan Crowley) and his most recent novels, seven Forges, The Blasted Lands, City of Wonders , The Silent Army and the forthcoming The Gates of The Dea ...more