Start by marking “The Usable Field” as Want to Read:
The Usable Field

The Usable Field

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  47 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
These lyric elegies, spoken by the “under-self,” become a series of subtle chants which sing the speaker into being both physically and spiritually, and through which Mead seeks solace, enlightenment, and joy in the cycles of life and death in the natural world.
Published May 1st 2008 by Alice James Books

To ask other readers questions about The Usable Field, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Usable Field

Jeff
Jan 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The language Mead shares with the devout she fiercely, tenderly, makes herself subject to, in a trope, not from religious life, but from business: the speaker enacts an "audit," for which, however, these poems feel no less devout. I think her language is "the usable field" in The Usable Field. A resemblance, flesh of Christ in groundwork -- this she will call "The Part -- and the Whole of It:" "Stocking the globe is not | my issue, taking stock | is my issue, and deciding" what this fifty year o ...more
Kent
Sep 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A highly anticipated release for me. And I was lucky enough to read it in a quiet apartment. The electricity was out because of the hurricane. In that silence I felt Mead's silence, her way of creating an emotional landscape, wide as it is deep, with each word treading through that space easily and deliberately. It is a quiet book, with grief as its subject, while openly admitting words are only slight referents to such a subject.
Steve
Sep 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Early on in Jane Mead’s third collection, The Usable Field, in the poem,“The Part – and the Whole of it,” Mead states “Stocking the globe is not/ my issue, taking stock is my issue – and deciding /what to do next.” And this is indeed a collection that is all about collecting one’s self and taking a deep breath. And for readers of Mead, this probably comes as a necessary relief after the poet’s very intense House of Poured Out Waters. The poet seems, after the trauma and violence of her previous ...more
Mark Valentine
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved how Mead creates physical texture in her lines. She writes about nature and sense impressions with jagged sensitivity. I also deeply appreciated that her poems were about loss, about the pain of losing loved ones, about the soul-searching that occurs in coping, in finding her place in the cosmos.

Allyson
Oct 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
I really, really liked this book.

More later.
Kasey Jueds
Dec 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Beautiful, strange, and deeply quiet--I loved it.
Helen Losse