Start by marking “Kids of Appetite” as Want to Read:
Kids of Appetite

Kids of Appetite

The bestselling author of Mosquitoland brings us another batch of unforgettable characters in this tragicomedy about first love and devastating loss.

Victor Benucci and Madeline Falco have a story to tell.
It begins with the death of Vic’s father.
It ends with the murder of Mad’s uncle.
The Hackensack Police Department would very much like to hear it.
But in order to tell thei
Published September 20th 2016 by Viking Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Kids of Appetite, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Leprecat O'Kin
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Christine Riccio
Oct 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a really interesting read for me. I didn't LOVE LOVE IT like I can't stop reading and all that jazz (it had a more somber tone to it and I always move more slowly through sadder plot lines), but I enjoyed how different it was and the diversity of its characters. Here's the link to my full review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFAcR...
Adam Silvera
I Lived and I Laughed (and I Loved) And I Saw It Was (Very Frakkin') Good.
Larry H
Sep 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
As I was devouring (no pun intended) David Arnold's sensational new book, Kids of Appetite , I started pondering the existential question, "Why do I read?" As you'd probably imagine there isn't one easy answer to that question—at different times I may read for entertainment, escape, information, motivation, or to be moved, and quite often it's a combination of more than one of those.

While I didn't set out to read Kids of Appetite to be moved, this story of the bonds of friendship, preserving
Andrew Smith
Oct 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Andrew by: Larry H
Shelves: netgalley, y-a
This book is presented as fiction for 14 – 18 year olds and though I’m (ahem) slightly outside this age bracket I’d read this brilliant review from Larry and I just had to take a look at it for myself. And what a joy it was.

It starts out as a murder mystery, as two people are being questioned by police over a murder. They are evasive – they are certainly hiding something. Then we slip back in time a week. Sixteen year old Vic has Mobius syndrome, a condition that means he can neither blink or sm
C.G. Drews
I wanted to read this mainly because I feel very strongly about how relatable the title is. I mean, aPPETITE? me. However this is the 3rd David Arnold book I've read and the 3rd time it hasn't...meshed. So I think it's me just me agshoshgshgrr. I find them the characters wholly pretentious and philosophical that I don't understand their thought process. I liked the found-family aspect of this (dysfunctional kid gang ftw) but the plot and style turned me thrice into a potato.

(I appreciate the tho
may ❀
buddy read #5 with Pragya let's hope this one doesn't disappoint :) :)

DNF @ 30%

Disclaimer: There’s nothing wrong with this book. In fact, I’m sure it’s probably a great, exceptional, heartwarming book, nonetheless, I didn’t feel any of those sentiments. . . so continue on with the review.

Reading Kids of Appetite, is like being that one friend in a group who doesn’t get the inside jokes. And it’s really not fun. .-.

There are so many unexplained phrases, puzzling memories, and weird
Elise (TheBookishActress)
Oct 30, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: not Pragya great job DNFing this my girl
Wow, wow, wow. Y'all really want to continue writing The Fault On Our Stars v2: mental illness instead of cancer. Ugh. Can't we move past this phase of YA? Can't we move past using mental illnesses as characters? Can't we stop with this manic pixie everything bullshit? Can't we actually write some damn books instead of covering our lacking plots and lacking everythings with purple prose? Can't we write stories with some fucking plot?

Are you ready for my controversial, maybe inaccurate theory? No
Stefani Sloma
Apr 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: physical-arcs
If anyone was silly enough to be worried that David Arnold's second book wouldn't live up to his wonderful debut, MOSQUITOLAND, they should rest assured that it does. KIDS OF APPETITE is brilliant, incredible, emotional, sensitive, not what I was expecting and better than I could hope for. David has a sensitivity in his writing that I haven't seen anywhere else and his characters have an intensity and passion for life that you can really feel in his writing and that will light your soul on fire. ...more
prag ♻
Feb 06, 2017 marked it as dnf
DNF @6%

If May's not doing it, I'm not doing it. (I have no willpower) (If I read one more page of everyone saying frak I will gouge my eyes out) (I have no idea what the hell happened I was so in love w Mosquitoland)
Emily May
Jul 28, 2016 marked it as dnf
I was intrigued by this, but I think I can finally say that Arnold's writing and his precocious - to the point of being unbelievable - teens are not for me. Those who think John Green is one of the best YA writers ever will probably like this a lot more than I did.
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

I decided to read this book partly because of the amazing cover. Seriously, the cover just screams "read me" to me. It wasn't just the cover that grabbed my interested though. I loved the synopsis and have had the author's debut novel on my TBR since it was released. I am glad that I made the decision to read this book. I actually read the whole book in a day which is unusual these days.

The characters really made this a very interesting story
Kenchiin
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you think this book is pretentious go see a doctor.
Silanur
Oct 10, 2015 marked it as to-read
Chill people. I know this book isn't specifically about Isabel. It's only what I assumed back in October of last year when there was no information about this book besides the title. I can read synopses, I assure you of that.

COVER AND SYNOPSIS. Hmm. Very interested. I hope it's as quirky and fun as Mosquitoland.

~

Could this be...the sequel to Mosquitoland?

Because remember? On page 324 of Mosquitoland, Mim writes to Isabel:

"Be a kid of appetite, Iz. You know what I mean, don't you? Of course you
Hazel (Stay Bookish)
Actual rating: 4.5

Holy crap, David Arnold has done himself with this sophomore novel!

All the love for:
- the book's unique format/nonlinear narrative
- Coco, who faux-cussed adorably and made me laugh too loud
- Baz and Zuz, two brothers with kind, sensitive souls
- Mad, whose love for reading was wonderful to read about
- Vic, whose thoughts were so smart and eloquent and whose grief was genuine
- the beautifully diverse and striking cast
- the light romance between the two protagonists and the wonde
Nicola Yoon
Aug 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Big-hearted and sooooo beautiful!
Vitor Martins
Eu estava com altas expectativas para esse livro porque 1) gostei de Mosquitoland e 2) essa capa é MARAVILHOSA.

Mas, infelizmente, esse livro não funcionou pra mim.

Kids of Appetite tem seus pontos fortes. Uma gama de personagens bem diversa, com características muito únicas e personalidades fortes e bem construídas. O relacionamento do Vic com sua mãe e a maneira como ele lida com a morte do pai. Um senso de amizade e cumplicidade entre os protagonistas muito interessante.

Maaaaaas, o desenrola
Elise
Jun 11, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, netgalley, ebook
Ohmigod this book sounds absolutely AWESOME! I can't wait to read it!!!
emi
Though pretentious at times, I enjoyed this book overall. Like I say all the time, and yet never act upon, review to come.
Rebecca
David Arnold’s second YA novel opens in a Hackensack, NJ Police Dept. interrogation room. Someone is dead, but we don’t learn who, why or how for quite a while. For now, the reader’s task is to figure out how the events of the past week have landed sixteen-year-old Vic Benucci and his new girlfriend, Mad Falco, here; and why they are trying to drag out their questioning for as long as possible. The first-person perspective shifts from Vic to Mad throughout, and flips between their respective int ...more
Evelyn Romp
Mijn hemel wat een worsteling was het om dit boek uit te lezen.
Laat ik beginnen met dit: Rowie heeft de meest perfecte review geschreven over De Koa, en ik raad je aan om dat te lezen als je er meer wilt begrijpen.

Zelf heb ik een haat-liefde verhouding met dit verhaal. Ik vind het knap bedacht, het is een mix van poëzie en literatuur. David Arnold is briljant, zonder twijfel.
Maar: ik kan niet tegen verhalen die zo onrealistisch zijn. Niemand praat zo, niemand denkt zo. Ja, ik weet het, dit is li
Monica
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-stars
Fantastic! Exactly the right mix of humor and humanity.
Erin Dunn
Jan 30, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
I received a free ebook copy in exchange for an honest review via FirstToRead. DNF @ about 10%. This just isn't for me. I don't know why, but I was bored. I've never read this author before and the writing wasn't bad. Just not for me I guess.
Bee (Heart Full of Books)
Another super great read! Kids of Appetite really is something special. The characters are diverse and their voices are so clear and witty. Similarly to Mosquitoland, KOA has a series of fast paced events but is mostly character focused. Uh, I just really liked it.
Stacee
Jun 01, 2016 rated it liked it

I requested this because I had heard a lot of great things from friends {Cody, I'm looking at you} and it was all over IG as well. Even though I wasn't sure it sounded like my sort of thing, I gave it a try.

I loved the characters. Vic and Mad and the others are so vivid on the page. The back and forth of the past and present chapters was done in an interesting way. I definitely didn't expect the outcome happening the way it did.

And yet, I set it down for days at a time. I wasn't compe
Eva Wildeman
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kobo-plus
2,5 ster zo jammer.. ik had er meer van verwacht denk ik meer omdat ik mensen ook hoorden erover en die het fantastisch vonden!
Fatima
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I fraking loved this book. I loved Vic, Mad, Baz, Zuz, and of course Coco.

Vic: I want to hug you and tell you that you are perfect no matter what.
Mad: 😄
Zuz: *snap*
Baz: You are such a kind person and you put others before yourself.
Coco: I fraking love you.
It was kind of slow paced
But......
description
Teddy Yu
Jul 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is now my favorite book of all time ever. It's so so so so game changing! You should definetly read it when it comes out in September. I REALLY don't wanna give the arc back to my friens, but I have to
Alja Katuin
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
David had ik al ontmoet op yalfest, door middel van een spelletje Cards against humanity. Deze man brengt zijn charismatische manier van doen echt ontzettend goed over op zijn personages. Wat een goed, verscheurend en hart brekend boek is dit.
Esther
Apr 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Echt, dit boek is zo prachtig. Het boek scheurt je van binnen uit elkaar en lijmt je stukje bij beetje weer aan elkaar.
Cesar
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 stars

Once in a while, I encounter a book with a unique and quirky plot. With Kids of Appetite, it was the title and premise that drew me in. But before I get to that, I want to say something first.

I'm going to be blunt with you all. This is just my personal opinion: I felt like I was reading a carbon copy of one of John Green's books. Now, that isn't to say that David Arnold is trying to emulate John Green. That isn't the case. It's just I've notice that several books have that whimsical, quir
  • Falling Over Sideways
  • Still Life with Tornado
  • Our Chemical Hearts
  • The Female of the Species
  • The Edge of Everything (The Edge of Everything, #1)
  • Spontaneous
  • The Twelve Days of Dash and Lily
  • Spare and Found Parts
  • The Smaller Evil
  • The Forgetting (The Forgetting, #1)
  • The Sun Is Also a Star
  • The Scourge
  • Radical
  • Metaltown
  • Thieving Weasels
  • I'm Not Your Manic Pixie Dream Girl
  • The Women in the Walls
  • History Is All You Left Me
David Arnold lives in Lexington, Kentucky, with his (lovely) wife and (boisterous) son. He is the New York Times bestselling author of Mosquitoland, Kids of Appetite, and The Strange Fascinations of Noah Hypnotik; his books have been translated into over a dozen languages. Learn more at davidarnoldbooks.com and follow him on Twitter @roofbeam and Instagram @iamdavidarnold.
“We are all part of the same story, each of us different chapters. We may not have the power to choose setting or plot, but we can choose what kind of character we want to be.” 61 likes
“I think Mad saw in books what I saw in art: the weightless beauty of the universe.” 25 likes