Start by marking “El almanaque de las mujeres (Otras Voces)” as Want to Read:
El almanaque de las mujeres (Otras Voces)

El almanaque de las mujeres (Otras Voces)

«Esta es la Historia de la Moza más hermosa y delicada que jamás humedeció una Cama. Se llamaba Evangeline Musset y había sido condecorada con una Enorme Cruz Roja por la Dedicación, el Alivio y la Distracción que proporcionaba a las Muchachas en sus Partes Posteriores, en las Anteriores y en cualquiera de esas Partes que tan Cruelmente las hace sufrir.»

Escrito a modo de c

Published November 30th 2012 by Egales

To ask other readers questions about El almanaque de las mujeres, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about El almanaque de las mujeres

Jonathan
Feb 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice long quote to show how great this is:

"In my day," said Dame Musset, and at once the look of the Pope, which she carried about with her as a Habit, waned a little, and there was seen to shine forth the Cunning of a Monk in Holy Orders, in some Country too old for Tradition, "in my day I was a Pioneer and a Menace, it was not then as it is now, chic and pointless to a degree, but as daring as a Crusade, for where now it leaves a woman talkative, so that we have not a Secret among us, the
Jesse
[Note: I have since revised and expanded this review for my blog, Queer Modernisms.]

Even after more than eight decades critics and scholars still squabble over what exactly Djuna Barnes was trying to accomplish with her Ladies Almanack. Is it an affectionate satire? A bitter denunciation? A parodic exercise in self-loathing?

Maybe it's all of these things, perhaps "none of the above" gets a bit closer to the truth, but this tension touches upon exactly the thing that most compels me most about B
Adriana Scarpin
Almanaque satírico das bobagens direcionadas para mulheres de um século atrás (ó céus, que ainda persistem!), com linguagem clássica e direcionada às "entendidas" dos salões parisienses da década de 20. Finíssimo.
Anna
Dec 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
so much lesbians
Vicky
Sep 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Vicky by: Daviel implied this will be better than Nightwood
Shelves: lesbians, favorites
So I had no idea who in Djuna Barnes's circle of friends was which character, and at first, I tried to search various key phrases to find the list of who is who, but I couldn't find it until tonight when I reached the end and saw that the book itself tells you in the afterward. Wtf, it should have been in the foreward!
Still, the book is a huge inside joke and I didn't care that I didn't entirely get it.
I loved it for these reasons, poorly explained:
1) the drawings made to look like woodcuts
2) th
Suzanne Stroh
Nothing like it in English literature. The great lesbian romp through Paris in the Twenties. All the girls are present and accounted for in Natalie Barney's salon and bedroom, submitting to scrutiny under Barnes's powerful microscope.

To avoid censorship (and to please her patron, Miss Barney), Djuna Barnes disguised her cutting-edge material in Rabelaisian cloaks. It's like reading Chaucer on muff-diving. More than just wicked satire, this is enduring literature that stands up to every new read
Andreea
Mar 03, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbt, women-writers
What is this? I honestly don't have a clue, all I know is that it's quite awesome and it involves lots of lesbians - which I suppose is the same as saying that it's quite awesome so I'll leave it at that.
Chris
Aug 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lianne
While I did find this book to be very amusing, the archaic style that Barnes uses here makes for a lot of plodding reading, much of the time spent thinking, "what the hell does that mean?" I had the same feelings reading Nightwood long ago. The complexity of language is certainly not a bad thing, but it definitely puts a little more of a strain on the reader.
The structure of the book is both comical and interesting. The sections, for instance, which explain the hooscope, the antiquated illustrat
Maureen
I found this silly little book in the stacks of the UGA library, and read it in about an hour. Some of the women mentioned in its pages were followers of G.I. Gurdjieff in Paris in the twenties, and it is mostly because of my interest in them that I picked it up. As spoofs go, I prefer the one of Milne's When We Were Six, anonymously written and published in the twenties under the title of When We Were Rather Younger.

I know Barnes did not write hers as a spoof of a particular book, but it still
Ruth
Jun 23, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I found this buried in a dark corner of the Brooklyn library. It is a weird little story written with lots of old-fashioned language about the goings-on among this group of ladies with funny names. It has a chapter for each month of the year and also a cute illustration for each one, but I got the feeling that it was all a big inside joke with the people in her circle who were supposed to be the models for the characters. The introduction said it was not really written to be published and I was ...more
Bob
Dec 26, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can only really summarize by quoting the back cover - "an affectionate lampoon of the expatriate lesbian community in Paris...in 1928...in a robust style taken from...Robert Burton's Anatomy of Melancholy..." - a quick and amusing read, a keepable artifict, mostly courtesy of Barnes' illustrations - reads a bit like the kind of undergraduate in-joke on some semi-illicit subject - start with Nightwood or Ryder of course.
Mel
I throughly enjoyed this. It was like a glimpse into an in-joke among lesbian life in Paris. It was a very amusing style and the descriptions were fun. I particularly like the part where the Radclyiff Hall character and her partner were complaining that they weren't able to get married in England. It's nice that that's finally changing.
Eric
Jul 26, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: american-modern
A short, personal tongue-in-cheek pamphlet valorize and lampoon the expatriate lesbian scene in Paris. Each 'chapter' is of a calendar and the writing is a collection of aphorism and fragments of fables. The language is some pidgin of overwrought Victorianism and playful medieval singsong. Kind of a short Finnegans Wake with lesbians. Pretty awesome.
M.
Feb 15, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ha-ha, queer, satire
this is kind of a parody of women's magazines of barnes' time period, combined with a satirical lesbian conversion narrative. pretty awesome. great illustrations. lots of inside jokes that i didn't get, but that i recognized as having had the potential to be very very funny, had i, in fact, gotten them.
J.M. Hushour
As far as smugly witty Shakespeare-inspired depictions of the 1920s Paris lesbian scene go, this probably the pinnacle. Barnes, a 1920s Parisian lesbian, makes fun of all the other lesbians she knows, good-naturedly overall, mind you. Ribald and hilarious, but little here for the wank bank, people, get your minds out of the gutter! This is art!
Destiny Dawn Long
When I read the book jacket for this, I totally thought I'd love it. After all, satire of a lesbian expatriot community in the form of Elizabethan ladies almanacs? It had all the makings of something grand.

Unfortunately, I just couldn't get into it. It was only once I got to the endnotes that I discovered the comparisons to James Joyce. They should have put that on the jacket!
Tslyklu
I don't know, had to read it over again with a list of who is who etc. Clearly not meant for a very large audience, tak.
Rocío
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
una completa y absoluta maravilla
Matthew B.
Ladies Almanack is undeniably amusing, even hilarious, at times, but it is also pointedly obvious that it was written for a private circle rather than a wide audience. A large proportion of the intended humor is plainly inside jokes, and the intended audience's familiarity with certain persons, places, etc. allows Barnes to deal with some of her main subjects elliptically - all of which leaves book quite opaque to the general reader. No doubt it is all very enlightening to those who know and wan ...more
Phillip
Aug 24, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Fantastic! Wholly original, funny, great drawings in the edition I read...
'fata
Nov 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Five Novels
  • The Young and  Evil
  • Wild Heart: A Life: Natalie Clifford Barney and the Decadence of Literary Paris
  • Selected Writings
  • I Am a Woman
  • Nigger Heaven
  • Dusty Answer
  • Crybaby Butch
  • The White Book (Le Livre Blanc)
  • The Temple
  • The Ravickians
Barnes has been cited as an influence by writers as diverse as Truman Capote, William Goyen, Isak Dinesen, John Hawkes, Bertha Harris and Anaïs Nin. Writer Bertha Harris described her work as "practically the only available expression of lesbian culture we have in the modern western world" since Sappho.

Barnes played an important part in the development of 20th century English language modernist wr