Start by marking “Intractable Heart: A story of Katheryn Parr” as Want to Read:

Intractable Heart: A story of Katheryn Parr

1537. As the year to end all years rolls to a close, King Henry VIII vents his continuing fury at the pope. The Holy Roman Church reels beneath the reformation and as the vast English abbeys crumble the royal coffers begin to fill.
The people of the north, torn between loyalty to God and allegiance to their anointed king, embark upon a pilgrimage to guide their errant mona
Kindle Edition
Published (first published May 13th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Intractable Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Intractable Heart

Grace Elliot
Jun 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My introduction to Ms Arnopp's work was The Winchester Goose, which was significantly different from other historical fiction books to intrigue me. With trepidation I read, The Kiss of Concubine, (after all, Anne Boleyn is one hell of a major historical figure to take liberties with) and was swept away by her story telling skill. OK, so could the story of one of Henry VIII's lesser known wives live up to expectations? Oh yes!
Ms Arnopp has grown and matured as a writer and can proudly hold her h
Sam
Jun 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is the story of Katheryn Parr, sixth wife of Henry VIII, told in the first person from four perspectives, each with a part of the book, and their own part of the tale to tell.

First is Katheryn's step-daughter, Margaret Neville, then Katheryn herself, followed by Thomas Seymour (Katheryn's fourth husband), and finally another of Katheryn's step-daughter's, Princess Elizabeth.

I already knew the story, and this is a good retelling. It flows, it's easy to read and the changes of perspective a
Mary Grand
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read, I love Philippa Gregory books and this was easily as good. Very well researched and relaxed story telling. If you like historial fiction do give this a go x
Shiv
I absolutely love history and everything to do with the Tudors and when I saw a fictional novel about Katheryn Parr, I knew that I needed to read it. When first starting the book, I had very high expectations as I have read the author's other books and loved them. I did enjoy the book, but for me personally, there was something lacking and I cannot put my finger on it. I really enjoyed reading more about Katheryn before she was married to Henry VIII and seeing her love for her two stepchildren. ...more
Terry Tyler
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved how this book was structured, ie, the whole story told from four different first person points of view. It starts off during the Pilgrimage of Grace, the uprisings in the north following Henry's reformation of the English church, and this part is told from the point of view of Margaret, Katherine's stepdaughter from her second marriage. Showing events at court and in the country from this young girl's point of view was an artful way of giving the backdrop to Katherine's life before she m ...more
Sophie Meulemans
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
A beautiful book about Katheryn Parr, and her view on life, the court, and her marriage with Henry VIII.

What is great about this book is that it overlaps small pieces of time and is written from 4 characters, Mary, Elisabeth, Katheryn and Thomas Seymour ... which gives an excellent picture of the events and feelings that it creates among all these people who connected to each other.

The author is very clear about the feelings of Katheryn and how she thought about the fact that Henry took her as h
Robbi Leah  Freeman
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesting information and story on Henry VIII last queen.
Mercedes Rochelle
Katheryn Parr is one of those historical characters that we tend to dutifully study, preparing ourselves for a stolid, tedious effort. I think Charles Laughton said it best at the end of his PRIVATE LIFE OF HENRY VIII: "Six wives, and the best is the worst of them all." Or maybe it would be better to say that I, for one, was unfairly influenced by his delightful portrayal which took years of education to rectify. Yet poor Katheryn didn't budge very far in my estimation. Luckily, Judith Arnopp sh ...more
TAS
Apr 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four Voices Tell the Story of KIng Henry VIII's Final Wife

Queen Katherine Parr is usually portrayed as a keenly intelligent and dutiful wife. Married three times to much older men - including Henry VIII - she was known as a skilled caretaker and faithful companion. Her fourth, short-lived marriage - to Thomas Seymour, brother to former Queen Jane Seymour and uncle to Henry VIII's successor, King Edward VI - is usually portrayed as the major passion of Katherine's life. She and Thomas were involv
Sam Wilkinson
Dec 21, 2016 rated it really liked it

Kathleen
Jun 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Katheryn Parr's life has been retold it in a thought provoking and enlightening manner in this fine novel. Judith Arnopp has researched the early life Henry's last wife and using known facts of those times, speaks for Katheryn,Thomas Seymour, Elizabeth I and Margaret Neville Katheryn's stepdaughter.

The story is thus told in four parts and the three others, using known facts, speak and give voice to Katheryn Parr's early life. A delightful and innovative way to weave a narrative. The events that
Ramona Sprague
Aug 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Intractable Heart: A story of Katheryn Parr

A wonderful story written by a masterful storyteller. She brings to life all the people who surround Katheryn Parr, the last wife of Henry VIII It is worth reading even though it's fiction. I hope you will enjoy the book as much as I did. Happy reading.
Debbi
Jan 26, 2016 rated it liked it
I didn't enjoy this Judith Arnopp novel quite as much as I did the others I have read. It might have been the way it was written. This story of Henry VIII's last wife, Katherine Parr, is narrated by four different people. At times I liked that and other times I didn't.
Gayle McMartin Hulme
Jun 03, 2016
Christina Sharp
Apr 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A slight confusion .

I found the switching of personalities confusing in the beginning . Once I got that figured out I really enjoyed the book. It is well-written. I never knew much about Catherine Parr this was enlightening considering it was a novel . I like it .
Lisa Johnson
Stacey Mullis
Apr 24, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 02, 2015 09:28AM
Always passionate about history, I graduated from the University of Wales, Lampeter in 2007 with a Master's degree in medieval history and a BA in English and creative writing. I now devote myself to writing full time.
My Tudor novels include: