Start by marking “The Fisherman's Net” as Want to Read:
The Fisherman's Net

The Fisherman's Net

(Vestigial Tales #2)

Untold centuries ago, the Archipelago was ruled by the Alder—mysterious beings who vanished, leaving behind only scattered artefacts of unknown power, called Vestige. Sometimes, a person will be lucky or unlucky enough to discover that each piece of Vestige has its own tale to tell…

The Fisherman’s Net

A humble fisherman in a village of the coast of the island of Linde buys
Published July 1st 2014 by Laura Lam

To ask other readers questions about The Fisherman's Net, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fisherman's Net

Start your review of The Fisherman's Net
Laura Lam's Vestigial Tales are short stories set in the same world as her Micha Grey trilogy and give us some insight into some of the Vestige artefacts that were left behind when the Alder vanished. The Fisherman's Net doesn't feature any characters from the other series so works well as a standalone and can be read at any point wether you've read the Micha Grey books or not.

This was a much shorter story than The Snake Charm but as it's told more like an original fable the shorter length worke
Laura Lam
Jun 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
This is the second of the stories in my Vestigial Tale series. The first one is "The Snake Charm," and is available now. They can be read in any order.

This one has no overlapping characters with the two books set in the same world: Pantomime & Shadowplay.

As ever, some pictoral hints...

It's set on the island of Linde, which is an island of jungles and beautiful beaches - a little different from the dreary, often-rainy land of Ellada.

A fisherman buys a net which turns out to be Vestige and soon h
Katharine (Ventureadlaxre)
Jun 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2014, shorts
I saw on twitter that it was available and read it immediately!

Short, but packs a bitter, sharp punch that is satisfying - I'm glad the short ended this way, otherwise it could have been so much sadder.

The piece of vestige we get to see is described so delicately, and you can visualise how it looks and moves perfectly.

The Mer is instantly a character in her own right. I loved her power and quiet determination, keeping a level head head. I just really loved her attitude!

Beautiful writing, emoti
Chloe
Jan 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020
5/10.

The pros: A short and sweet fable, this story adds a little something extra to the world-building of the series.

The cons: This was my least favourite of the 5 stories, and the least connected to the series itself. It just felt too short to really give me any strong feelings about it either way.

The conclusion: All of these little ebooks are a pleasant companion to read when you finish the Micah Grey trilogy!
Michelle (Fluttering Butterflies)
Short but also the perfect length for a short story that packs quite an emotional punch. Love these Vestigial Tales!
Andrew
Sep 02, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Review Taken From The Pewter Wolf

The Fisherman's Net is a fable set in the world of Laura Lam's Pantomime. In this fable, a fisherman buys a trinket in the market. It is only several days later that he realises its true wealth and soon, he becomes a wealth fisherman. One day, he catches something that shouldn't exist. Something that begs to be released. Something he's not sure he can let go...

Ok, I love Laura Lam's Pantomime and I have every intention to read Shadowplay (which is sitting angrily
Nancy Meservier
Jun 11, 2014 rated it liked it
The Fisherman's Net is the second in Laura Lam's Vestigial Tales project, short ebooks that give readers a deeper look into the characters and world of Lam's Pantomime series. Unlike The Snake Charm, which involves characters from Pantomime, The Fisherman's Net is a fairy tale of sorts, involving a mermaid and one greedy fisherman. While I enjoyed The Fisherman's Net it didn't grab me quite as much as The Snake Charm, which had the benefit of being about a character I was already invested in. Al ...more
Lisa
Jul 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The second of Laura Lam’s Vestigial Tales short stories is considerably shorter than the first (The Snake Charm), but is just as well-told.

The story itself is pretty simple, and is as the blurb says – but what impressed me were the aspects it leaves out. The style of the story, for one – it’s written very much like a classic fable, which alone makes it stand apart from its predecessor. It’s a nice touch that doesn’t attempt to milk too much out of a story that’s better left as short and punchy a
Lucy-May
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Vonny
Jun 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I admit it, I'm a folktale/fairytale fanatic. I have collections of folktales from all over the world on my bookshelves. I just love them. So when I saw that Laura had written some tales based on her "Pantomime" world, I knew I had to get a copy.

"The Fisherman's Net" reminds me of the classic folk tales, so it was right up my alley. A man gets his hands on something magical, but whether it will be a curse or a blessing totally depends on the nature of the man. In this short work, as in her novel
Leah
Aug 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
An interesting, short moral tale from the author of Pantomime and Shadowplay. This novella made for the perfect fable with its balance between doing what's right and wrong. I'm really enjoying finding out about the powers of the Vestige. Laura Lam continues the use of her magical and captivating language as she threads a tale of the dangers of greed.

The Fisherman's Net is a standalone novella despite being situated in the world of the Pantomime series. I love that each of these tales add a litt
⋟Kimari⋞
If you liked this story, you might also enjoy:

Men Who Wish to Drown
The Iron Wolf and Other Stories UK / Unbroken Web: Stories and Fables US
Ellie
Jul 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
A short fable about greed set in the same world as Pantomime but separate to those characters.
Fiona
Aug 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Another quick read. Very good and a good lesson in the end to live by.
Cat
May 19, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »

• Blood Is Another Word for Hunger
  • Ark
  • Towards Zero (Superintendent Battle, #5)
  • Randomize
  • Emergency Skin
  • Summer Frost
  • The Last Conversation (Forward collection)
  • Starve Acre
  • The Light Princess
  • The Gift
  • Castle in the Air
  • The Winter's Tale
  • Murder Is Easy  (Superintendent Battle, #4)
  • While the Light Lasts (Hercule Poirot, #45)
  • The Secret of Chimneys (Superintendent Battle, #1)
  • You Have Arrived at Your Destination
  • The Black Cat
  • For He Can Creep
Please contact me via the contact page on my website as opposed to GR mail.

Laura Lam was born in the late eighties and raised near San Francisco, California, by two former Haight-Ashbury hippies.

After studying literature and creative writing at university, she relocated to Scotland to be with the partner she met online when they were teenagers and he insulted her taste in books and she insulted hi

Vestigial Tales (5 books)
  • The Snake Charm