Start by marking “Nefertiti's Heart (Artifact Hunters, #1)” as Want to Read:
Nefertiti's Heart (Artifact Hunters, #1)

Nefertiti's Heart

(Artifact Hunters #1)

This is an alternate cover edition for ASIN: B00BFTMRBA

Cara Devon has always suffered curiosity and impetuousness, but tangling with a serial killer might cure that. Permanently.

1861. Cara has a simple mission in London – finalise her father’s estate and sell off his damned collection of priceless artifacts. Her plan goes awry when a killer stalks the nobility, searching
Published June 2014 by Curiosity Quills Press (first published February 11th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Nefertiti's Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nefertiti's Heart

Soulless by Gail CarrigerLeviathan by Scott WesterfeldBoneshaker by Cherie PriestPerdido Street Station by China MiévilleThe Time Machine by H.G. Wells
Best Steampunk Books
1,078 books — 4,364 voters
Soulless by Gail CarrigerThe Iron Duke by Meljean BrookClockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareChangeless by Gail CarrigerBlameless by Gail Carriger
Steampunk/Romance
353 books — 932 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Nefertiti's Heart (Artifact Hunters, #1)
Anne Odom
Quick warning - this book contains triggers for those who have experienced physical and sexual abuse.

Overall, the book is a fun read if you enjoy a romance with a pushy male lead who swoops in and rescues the female lead in her times of duress. If you are more of a "female-kicks-ass" fan, you might not like this tale so much.

What I liked
-------------------
* The steampunk world - well crafted with many creative mechanical elements subtly included in the regular every-day way of things.
* Well-craf
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Don’t be fooled by the description for this book. It has little to do with steampunk or mystery and everything to do with romance. I don’t like romance so it was a big turn off for me. I was expecting a fun steampunk adventure with a strong female character but what I got was LOTS of romance. Talk about being misled!

The sexual content of the book should definitely be mentioned in the description and I really think no book depicting the repeated rape and beating of an underage child should come
Steven
Feb 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I took a chance requesting this one from Netgalley, and it was WELL worth it.

This is a fun romp through a Victorian-era London, with the steampunk technological twist. Likeable characters, an intriguing mystery, and a vividly described (and brought to life) world made this a 5 star for me.

Cara Devon's father was NOT a good man. At the age of 14, after some seriously rotten events (that are revealed over the course of the book), Cara bolts and doesn't return until 7 years later after the death of
Ashley Marie
AMMP Buddy Read with Venecia & Preethi!

So I admit I skimmed a bit toward the 2/3 mark. Maybe part of it was because I'd put the book down for a few days in order to read Fairest, but I think it had already lost some of my interest before that point, unfortunately. The romance didn't interest me at all; I'd gone into this book expecting something akin to an Indiana Jones adventure with a bit of steampunk thrown in, and the book seemed unable to decide whether it wanted to be that with a kickass l
Beth
Cara Devon has suffered her father’s whims and paid a horrible price. Now he’s dead and she must reface her past, return to London and the society that sat idle and watched while she was so badly misused. She is a survivor. She escaped her abuse and nothing will get in her way now. Cara is determined to sell off all her father’s precious collection and leave London and her past behind her forever.

Viscount Nathaniel Lyons wants Cara’s artifacts. He wasn’t prepared for the spit fire that shot his
Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂
I lurk over at the Goodreads Writer's Group every now & again & I was impressed with some of A.W's comments & her attitude to writing. & she is a Kiwi - bonus. & this particular book was free on my Kindle - for the win!

I liked the realisation of a very different Victorian England & the story itself was a fast paced read. In spite of her horrific past I never became fond of Cara & found some of her actions & motivations bizarre. I did quite like Nate though.

I've never read a steampunk book before
Marijan
Oct 17, 2015 rated it liked it
I'm not sure how to rate this book. First half was interesting, the romance didn't get in the way too much, and then...there was too much romance,not enough adventure and mystery was solved too quickly. I guess 3.5 going on 3.
it is a well researched and skillfuly written book, though.
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I THINK THIS IS ONLY THE SECOND STEAMPUNK BOOK I HAVE READ AND I LOVED IT. I ACTUALLY HAD IT ON MY CURRENTLY READING SHELF A FEW DAYS BEFORE READING IT. NEEDLESS TO SAY I STARTED IT YESTERDAY AND COULD HARDLY PUT IT DOWN! I FINISHED IT TONIGHT.
I LOVE THE CHARACTERS, THE STORYLINE, ROMANCE AND GRUESOME PARTS ALL IN ONE BOOK. I HAVE NOT READ A BOOK LIKE THIS BEFORE AND LOOK FORWARD TO READING MORE IN THIS SERIES. I THINK ALL FANS OF THIS GENRE WILL LOVE IT!
Amanda
Jul 02, 2018 rated it did not like it
Ktsuereviews
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book. It took me a while to get hooked because the author is building the world and characters in this book.

I feel like a comparable book to this one would be “Stalking Jack the Ripper by Karri Maniscalco”. Stalking Jack the Ripper has more of creep factor to it but I feel the characters in Nefertiti’s Heart are more likable- Just my personal opinion.

I took a liking to Cara from the first chapter and just liked her more and more throughout. I thought this book would be all
Jaid
I was very torn about how I felt about this book. I enjoyed the murder mystery aspects immensely. I also was very intrigued by the way author weaves in aspects of Steam Punk Fantasy without letting it bog down descriptive narrative. An unfortunate failing in many steam punk or sci-fi novels in my opinion. The story line is creative and has just enough twists to keep you hooked without becoming garbled. Over all a thoroughly entertaining murder mystery in a unique setting.

Where I get very conflic
Jess
I was very disappointed by Nefertiti's Heart. I had it on my GR wishlist for MONTHS and then specifically bought it to read on holiday and it was such a letdown. Although the book was not as awful as Phoenix Rising (the comparison is inevitable, I'm afraid), it ended up being still rather uninspired. The plot was was serviceable as I was reading but pretty forgettable afterwards.

This review summarizes all my issues with the story quite nicely - I find it unbelievable that a heavily traumatised s
AudibleBlerd
Apr 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting 19th Century Mystery

This book had a lot of different elements (steam punk, adventure, "archeology," etc.), but overall it was a murder mystery. I found the story very enjoyable, though it did read a bit like a Mary Higgins Clark novel. That is, I knew who the killer was halfway through the story and the loose ends information was given via character explanation at the end of the book.
Rebecca
Jan 01, 2019 rated it did not like it
I read half of this book, which was at least 25% more than it deserves. I always feel a little bad about leaving harsh reviews, but in recognition of the author's effort, I can at least offer my honest reaction instead of sugar coating it. The premise seemed interesting.

The heroine is ostensibly a well educated, higher class lady from Victorian London but she talks and thinks like a vapid 2010's teenager, which is all the more irritating and ridiculous because the author chose to dump her itali
Feminista
Mar 04, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: steampunk
Writing style was not too impressive. A bit abrupt...

The plot was also unrealistic. The heroine was supposed to be this strong woman with an abusive past. But then she becomes weak for the hero. The first time she visits the hero at his home, a near stranger to her, he tells her to take a bath and change her clothes and she does, with no resistance. She tells herself she needs a bath. Well maybe don't take it in a stranger's home.
Bill Tillman
Jun 03, 2015 rated it did not like it
Oh this tale started out so very well, only to fall into adult sexuality. Not my cup of tea, but really great steampunk.
Catharine Glen
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
NEFERTITI’S HEART is one of those books I knew I’d enjoy from the very first chapter. It was a wonderful mix of fun and dark, with an engaging writing style and well-paced plot that kept me wanting to read more.

Exley writes colorful, developed characters. Cara is a strong heroine who goes against the societal grain. In a way, so does Nathaniel, with his questionable and perhaps not entirely legal dealings. Both have dark pasts that helped connect them. Though their relationship seemed a bit too
Diantha Jones
Nov 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
ORIGINALLY POSTED TO DJ'S BOOK CORNER

Steampunk is quickly becoming one of my favorite genres. I’d had my eye on this book on Amazon for months (look at that beautiful cover!), so when the author appeared on the Masquerade Crew site, I was like WHAAAA??? Let me get Nefertiti’s Heart! She gave it to me, and I tried to hold off, but like I said, I’ve been eyeballing this book for forever.

The beginning is intriguing and I immediately liked the main character, Cara. From the jump, we learn that she’s
Lauren
Neferitit's Heart
4 Stars

After the death of her father, Cara Devon inherits his collection of priceless artifacts. Her plan is to locate and sell the hidden antiquities, but soon discovers that she is not the only one searching for them. A deranged killer is hunting amongst the daughters of the nobility for an ancient Egyptian relic rumored to hold the key to immortality and Cara realizes that she must find it before she becomes the next victim.

An entertaining mix of mystery, romance and treasur
Stephanie Kaye (In Wonderland)
This review was originally posted on In Wonderland My Thoughts

I really enjoyed this book! I was a little hesitant to pick it up for reasons I will never understand but I am so glad I did because I thoroughly enjoyed this and am really itching to get to the rest of this series!

Things that I really enjoyed:

All of the Egyptian-ness within it! It was great to hear about some of these artifacts and the Egyptian elements were wonderful!
I really loved the mystery that went with this. It wasn't
Ella Carmichael
Jun 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
It passed my 2 main criteria. It was enjoyable, and it kept me hooked right up to the final word. I really like the lead characters, and they are portrayed in such a way that the reader genuinely wants them to succeed. I found the romance a little off-putting, but that's because a) it was unexpected and b) I am not what one might describe as a true romantic. There is such sizzling heat between the main characters that it's not advisable for anyone who has just been through a breakup to read this ...more
Janet Martin
Where are the editors???? Based on its premise, this book should have been good. Main character had compelling elements, but flaws in the first 50 pages were overwhelming--way too much detail and anachronistic characters, ie women under 20 having conversations representing 30 somethings, etc. Lacks historical research for the period. The detective was similarly damaged.

I really hate to see promising writers throw away prospective careers because of premature exposure--someone should have sent th
Robyn
Jun 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
I enjoyed this but thought it was a bit thin. That being said, I know it's a series so quite a bit of time ended up being spent on character & world building. I enjoyed Cara as a heroine but didn't think she was entirely believable (and I think her past would be difficult for some readers). Nonetheless, it was witty and I suspect I'll plunge back into the series at some point. 3.5 stars. ...more
Lima Reads
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: z-2017, steampunk, favs
Awesome! I really loved this book and all the main characters. Cara is a little bit broken, but she's slowly putting herself back together and learning to trust other people again. Since I'm writing this review in the android app and can't use the spoiler tag I'm not going to say anymore about the book. ...more
Delta
Free 11-13-15 (Steam-punk Mystery Romance)

Ludovica
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book is a hard one to review. It has some very nice parts to it, and I honestly have to say that I enjoyed reading it, once I started ignoring about half of what was going on in it. I am not a very critical reader, but for the sake of this blog, I have to be a critical reviewer, and for this reason, I wasn’t really able to give this book more than 2 stars.

Let’s start with the most critical element of any piece of historical fiction: the historical part.

IS IT A BIRD? IS IT A PLANE? NO – IT’S
Kevin Potter
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Here we have a very well written story best described as a Steampunk romantic mystery.

Gemma Dawson did a damned impressive job narrating the audiobook. Although a couple of her voices sound a little too similar, it's obvious she carefully crafted most of them. Her vocal inflections are almost perfect and her tempo shifts throughout are excellent.

Although it is a completely different kind of story, I can't help being reminded of A Natural History of Dragons by Marie Brennan.

The world has a simil
Celia Buell
For most of my life I've avoided regency and erotica, and I intended to keep it that way. If I had known that this would primarily fall into that genre, instead of the historical mystery/thriller it was billed as, I would not have downloaded it for free from Amazon.

It wasn't a bad story, there just wasn't much of a story. I feel like if the mystery had been enhanced more, it could have been thrilling, but the one red herring was known from the very beginning. The main character was interesting e
Dragana
First thing that attracted me to Nefertiti's Heart was the title. You may not know, but I am crazy about Egyptian history and mythology, so as soon as I heard Nefertiti - I had to read it. The second thing that I liked was the cover art. That steampunk heart looked so awesome, I just had to know how A.W. Exley merged steampunk and Egypt into one. Robot-mummy Nefertiti? One can only hope. :)

My realistic expectations that I will like Nefertiti's Heart were, honestly, pretty low. I never heard abou

• Thunder Hunter (Viking Soul #1)
  • The Kidnapper's Accomplice (Glass and Steele, #10)
  • The Last Necromancer (The Ministry of Curiosities, #1)
  • Chosen (The Djinn Wars, #1)
  • Dukes of War (Books 1-2): Historical Romance Collection (Regency Romance Tasters)
  • The Elusive Elixir (An Accidental Alchemist Mystery Book 3)
  • No Limit (Nadia Wolf #1)
  • Dragon Bones
  • Aimpoint (Deception Point #1)
  • Whiskey Witches (Whiskey Witches #1)
  • Dead Acre
  • The Return of Absent Souls (After The Rift, #6)
  • Honor Bound (The Witchblade Chronicles #1)
  • The Accidental Alchemist
  • The Prison of Buried Hopes (After The Rift Book 5)
  • The Sinner (Assassins Guild #4)
  • Murder at the Mayfair Hotel (Cleopatra Fox Mysteries Book 1)
  • The Golden Spider (Elemental Steampunk Chronicles, #1)
I write historical fantasy novels from my home in rural New Zealand.

Artifact Hunters (5 books)
  • Hatshepsut's Collar (Artifact Hunters, #2)
  • Nero's Fiddle (Artifact Hunters #3)
  • Moseh's Staff (Artifact Hunters #4)
  • Nessy's Locket (Artifact Hunters, #5)

News & Interviews

Looking for a fictional meet-cute in the new year? We've got some steamy novels for you to snuggle up with, including Casey McQuiston's...
“Are we immortal?" he paused in his exploration of her skin.

Mischief shone in her eyes. "Want me to shoot you and find out?”
10 likes
“do you tell if someone is immortal?” she whispered. “You kill them, and see if they get up again,” he answered, always pragmatic.” 4 likes