Start by marking “The Maypop Kidnapping (Quinnie Boyd Mysteries, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Maypop Kidnapping (Quinnie Boyd Mysteries, #1)

The Maypop Kidnapping

(Quinnie Boyd Mysteries #1)

C.M. Surrisi's debut middle-grade mystery, The Maypop Kidnapping is set in a small coastal Maine village filled with eccentric locals. When 13-year-old Quinnie's beloved teacher goes missing, Quinnie leads a relentless, sometimes misguided search – against her mother's orders.
Published March 1st 2016 by Carolrhoda Books (first published 2016)

To ask other readers questions about The Maypop Kidnapping, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Maypop Kidnapping

Zyra
Apr 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
this was so cute & cozy. headstrong mc, engrossing mystery & small town coziness.
Pamela
Apr 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fun tween summer read. A nice little mystery full of small town charm and eccentricities, with plenty of 'moxie' and spunk. Downeaster style. Respectably impressive for a debut.

The dialogue was fresh and fun. Specifically regarding Quinnie. She was a hoot! Thirteen going on thirty. Great story premise and set-up. Mostly believable action and carry through. The climatic resolve was full of punch! Kudos for that!! Characters were quirky enough to be unique and appealing, but not so over t
Ms. Yingling
E ARC from Netgalley.com

Quinnie lives on a small town in Maine, and she is tutored by Ms. Stillford. Sadly, her best friend and fellow tutee, Zoe, has moved away. When Ms. Stillford doesn't show up to meet with Quinnie at the town diner (run by Quinnie's dad), Quinnie goes to her house and finds enough things out of place that she is alarmed. Later, there is a letter from Ms. Stillford sent to the twon sheriff, Quinnie's mom, but Quinnie is still suspicious. WIth the help of the new girl in town
Jenn Bishop
Jul 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Quinnie Boyd's teacher, Ms. Stillford, has gone missing and Quinnie is convinced it's a kidnapping. Mom is Maiden Rock's town sheriff (and the postal worker and the realtor -- it's that kind of small town) and quite possibly the more reasonable of the two of them. Mom's pretty sure Ms. Stillford left of her own volition, even though she doesn't yet have an explanation for it. But Quinnie's just not so sure. Breaking in to Ms. Stillford's place in search of answers is just the beginning of this d ...more
Kathy MacMillan
Dec 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The characters in this mystery crackle and snap with life. At thirteen, Quinnie leads a pretty quiet life in the tiny town of Maiden Rock on the coast of Maine – a town so tiny that her crusader mother plays the parts of real estate agent, mayor, sheriff, AND postmaster. (And, in my absolute favorite detail, her office contains a separate desk for each role.) But things change when Quinnie’s beloved tutor disappears under suspicious circumstances, and no one else seems alarmed. Quinnie is determ ...more
Jaina Rose
Jan 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: blogged
This review is also available on my blog, Read Till Dawn.

I initially sent an e-mailed request to the publisher for this book because I thought it looked cute. When they told me they were out of physical copies but could approve it on Netgalley I took the plunge and joined up. That's right - I'm a brand-new Netgalley reviewer! Rah-rah team and all that. I feel like I'm quite on the in-crowd now - me and twenty thousand other reviewers. It took me like half an hour to get it set up so I could read
Karen Miller
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: october-12
Trouble in Maiden Rock? Yes, it’s big trouble! Ms. Stillford, Quinnie’s teacher, goes missing! Quinnie and her friend Ben suspect almost everyone: two old admirers who’ve pined after Ms. Stillford for decades, a rocker group passing through town, even two nuns from the local convent. You’ll find yourself smack dab in the middle of the mystery, worrying about Ms. Stillford, resenting the new girl Mariella, house breaking and snooping alongside Quinnie. The Maypop Kidnapping by C.M. Surrisi remind ...more
Donna
Dec 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fun mystery story about a small Maine town and how everyone knows everyone else - or do they? Quinnie lives in a town so small her mother is the sheriff, postal worker, and real estate broker. When Quinnie's teacher goes missing, she is certain it is a kidnapping. The sheriff is not so sure. Quinnie starts a search, enlists help from a friend and a new girl, and goes against just abut every rule her mother, and father, make. There are clues, suspects, some local quirky characters, and enough int ...more
Dana Middleton
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book absolutely delighted me! I love Quinnie Boyd, a girl who will not be stopped in solving the mystery of her missing teacher. The odd, quirky town of Maiden Rock (where Quinnie lives) is filled with odd, quirky characters--and it all feels absolutely authentic and real. The story had me guessing right up to the heart-racing climax which kept me up way past my bedtime. I look forward to reading the next Quinnie Boyd mystery!
Heather Brown
Jan 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Heather by: Netgalley
The Maypop Kidnapping is an exciting mystery novel for middle grade kids. Quinnie and her new classmate Ella know that their teacher, Ms. Stillford, has been kidnapped. Unfortunately, the Sheriff, who also happens to be Quinnie's mom, doesn't agree. The girls must keep their investigation of the crime secret. After plenty of twists and turns, Quinnie and Ella solve it all in a thrilling conclusion readers won't expect.
Debbie Tanner
A nice middle grade mystery about a girl named Quinette (Quinnie) who lives in a small town on the coast of Maine. When her teacher disappears, she has a hard time convincing anyone that something might really be wrong. She finally does and then she and her friends help to solve the teacher's kidnapping.
Liz Friend
Feb 29, 2016 rated it liked it
The story: When Quinnie Boyd's personal tutor goes missing, Quinnie knows she can't just have gone on an unexpected trip. Quinnie, along with best friend Ben and annoying new girl Ella, starts poking around town looking for clues, much to the irritation of the town sheriff--who also happens to be her mother. Quinnie should have known that snooping around where she's not wanted was going to land her in a literal boatload of trouble!

June Cleaver's ratings: Language PG; Violence PG; Sexual content
Jana
I had the opportunity to read a digital-ARC of this book from NetGalley. This is a fun, middle-grade mystery to read. I enjoyed it, and I believe my fifth grade students would enjoy it, because it's got more suspense to it than mysteries for earlier readers (Cam Jansen, Nate the Great, Encyclopedia Brown), but it's not over-the-top with scary violence.

The mystery begins when Quinnie's teacher, Blythe Stillford, fails to show up for her traditional first-day-of-school breakfast date at Gusty's. C
Bill
Nov 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Everything seems just fine in the tiny town of Maiden Rock, Maine, a town so small that Quinnie’s mom is the sheriff, the mayor, the post master and the real estate person. Quinnie is tutored instead of having to travel miles to a school, tutored by a retired teacher, Ms. Stillford, but her teacher never showed up at the only restaurant in town, their meeting place, for the first day of tutoring.

What happened to her? She seemed to have disappeared! Quinnie is sure her tutor has been kidnapped! N
Rachel
Aug 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-stuff
This is a good solid mystery for the younger teen crowd. The narrator has a good solid and entertaining voice and I appreciated the fact that the main characters acted like smart 7th/8th graders and not like hard boiled detectives. They act out of well intended impulses and confused emotions. They even stop and think about what they are doing from time to time.

The mystery itself manages a good balance of having enough seriousness to give it suspense without being so intense that it would be too
K.T. Brison
Feb 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes you just want to read something a little lighter. Don’t you? After the created worlds of Ivanovich’s War of Princes and Elizabeth’s Cogling, it was nice to go to Maiden Rock, Maine, and solve a simple mystery with a 13-year-old girl. I just love sinking into a good middle grade book. It reminds me of being 12 myself–that age where you’re still a child and you still kind of feel like a child but you also feel so very grown up and ready to make your own decisions. Such a pivotal point in ...more
Autumn Krause
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely adored this middle grade book! It was charming yet full of suspense. I found myself completely sucked into the story, compliments of C.M. Surrisi's perfectly nuanced writing. I loved how it was a mystery yet also effectively explored the equally mysterious complexity of friendships, crushes, and parental relationships.
Jen Traub
Jun 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Awesome middle-grade mystery, totally appropriate without being 'kiddish'... Quinnie is an intelligent, original protagonist and I enjoyed the dynamic with her, Ella, and Ben.

I do wish there was more elaboration on Zoe, since her absence came up numerous times... But the conflict between Quinnie's friendship with her vs Ella never gets resolved.
Joanne O'Sullivan
Sep 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Quinnie is such a lovable character- I'd have followed her anywhere. That she took me around the endearing town of Maiden Rock- filled with quirky Mainers, mysterious rock stars and slightly suspicious nuns was all the better. An engrossing mystery with unforgettable characters.
Alice Hart
Oct 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Maypop Kidnapping is wonderfully creative. There are twists and turns that keep the reader interested and part of the quest to solve the mystery. My grandson who is ten was enthralled and can't wait for another book by Surrisi.
May 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
This made me interested in going to Maine, this little town sounds like an interesting quaint place. A fun, relatively light mystery.
Hoover Public Library Kids and Teens
Maiden Rock, Maine is usually pretty quiet during the off-season. Then Quinnie's teacher goes missing . . . just as a crime novelist and his daughter move to the island.
Bethe
Bookaday #23. Fun MG mystery in a small Maine town: missing teacher, mysterious plant, & multi tasking mom.
Dianna
Jan 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Review will be published in VOYA magazine.
Barbara
May 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mg-read
A skillfully plotted mystery with a come-to-life setting and characters to love. AND a debut novel?! Looking forward to more from Surrisi!
Melanie Dulaney
What a great mystery book for 5th-8th graders! Surrisi has created a novel that will keep readers chuckling and wondering all the way through. Quinnie Boyd is a completely likable character with traits that will ring true with other 10 to 14 year olds as she faces separation from her best friend, changing feelings towards a boy she has grown up with, and an up and down relationship with a mom who is just as independent and capable as she is. The mystery that Quinnie is determined to solve revolv ...more
Samantha
Mar 13, 2017 rated it liked it
As a Maine resident, I spent most of the time trying to figure out where the story was set. Based on the time it takes to get to Houlton, I would set it in the Bristol/Damariscotta area, and I can't imagine a town that tiny in that part of Maine. Downeast, past Machais? Sure. But it wouldn't be four hours away from Houlton. If it were an island, such as Matinicus, definitely, but it wasn't. I recognize that, for some readers, who cares? It's based on the author's Maine memories. Well, for this r ...more
June Jacobs
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a fun, fast-paced Upper Middle Grade mystery set in a beachside town in Maine.

The characters are well-developed and believable. Some of them are quirky, and that's what keeps the mystery progressing.

The cover art is beautiful. I will look forward to reading more books by this clever author.

-----------------------------

I borrowed this book from the New Book shelf in the children's section of the local public library.

###############
Sharni
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Kid sleuth with parents that are actually present? GET OUT! That's a new one! While Quinn and friends manage to do quite a bit of covert sleuthing that ultimately unravels this kidnapping - they also have to explain themselves afterwards. LOVED IT! Want the second one STAT but alas book ban! (This was a good impulse cover buy tho, zero regrets there)

This book is set in Maine - home of my fave adult amateur detective JESSICA FLETCHER!
Ella
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book took awhile to get into, but the blurb on the front said somebody or other had flown through it to read it, and it had the promises to be good, and once I got into it, it really was super good.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • A Hitch at the Fairmont
  • Absolutely Truly
  • Last in a Long Line of Rebels
  • Audacity Jones to the Rescue (Audacity Jones #1)
  • Howard Wallace, P.I. (Howard Wallace, P.I., #1)
  • Mystery on Museum Mile (Eddie Red Undercover #1)
  • Nickel Bay Nick
  • Finding Fortune
  • Saving Wonder
  • Beetle Boy (The Battle of the Beetles #1)
  • Summer of Lost and Found
  • The Unlikely Adventures of Mabel Jones (Mabel Jones, #1)
  • Isabel Feeney, Star Reporter
  • Dorko the Magnificent
  • Andi Unexpected (Andi Boggs, #1)
  • Witch Wars
  • Nancy Clancy, Super Sleuth
  • The Door by the Staircase
C. M. Surrisi has an MFA from Vermont College of Fine Arts in Writing for Children and Young Adults. Along with her husband, two dogs, and a cat, she lives in Asheville, NC. Visit her online at her Facebook page: C. M. Surrisi.

Quinnie Boyd Mysteries (3 books)
  • Vampires on the Run (Quinnie Boyd Mysteries, #2)
  • A Side of Sabotage (Quinnie Boyd Mysteries, #3)