Start by marking “Alabama Skye (Gannon Family #1)” as Want to Read:
Alabama Skye (Gannon Family #1)

Alabama Skye

(Gannon Family #1)

"When tragedy befalls Cheney McGillvray, she decides to pack up and leave her beloved home on Scotland’s Isle of Skye. She travels to the beachfront town of Kelby on Alabama's gulf coast and appears unannounced on her sister Meara's doorstep with a plan not only for her own future but also for that of her niece.
Greer, fresh out of culinary school and two months pregnant,
Published May 31st 2014 by Xlibris

To ask other readers questions about Alabama Skye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alabama Skye

Caitlin Janke
Jul 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
 J. C. Wing is such a talented writer. She takes so many different subjects and melds them together into a a beautifully written story that will touch your heart and keep you on your toes at the same time. It's a contemporary woman's novel that can be enjoyed by an adult at any age. Alabama skye also shows the way family comes together in the time of need and is realistic in parts of the story. I loved this book and I know many others will too.

R.P. Dahlke
Jul 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was soooo good! The author reminds me of Maeve Binchy. Wonderful characters, humor with the challenges of family life. If you like women's fiction, I highly recommend this book, and author.
C.C. Bradley
Aug 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Alabama Skye is a multi-generational family saga. After the death of her husband, Cheney McGillvray moves from Ireland to live with her family in Alabama where she finds new life starting a Bed and Breakfast with her niece, Greer. Cheney is haunted by the circumstances of her husband’s death and struggles with envy and regret that she didn’t have her father in her life as her half sister did. Greer struggles with her own demons having become pregnant from an unfortunate fling. Together, the fami ...more
Julie Rainforth
Oct 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I found this book very easy to read. J.C. Wing writes about 5 main characters. These are all strong women who have shaped each other's lives.
Cheney joins her American family when she leaves Scotland after the tragic death of her husband. She opens a B&B wiith her niece Greer.
The story centres around these 2 women and the secrets they harbour.
I love the journey this book took me on and am going to start book 2 immediately.
S.L. Shelton
Aug 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Heart wrenching and heart warming. J.C. Wing does a marvelous job, weaving a touching story of pain, struggle and growth, centered around the women in an odd family. The story is moving on so many levels, aided by Wing's beautiful narrative and thoughtful character interactions. The plot meanders through what seems like rather ordinary circumstances around Greer, who is pregnant with a former flame's child, and Cheney who is dealing with multi-level emotional struggles over the death of her husb ...more
Kevin Futers
Aug 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Alabama Skye is a gentle story of the fortunes of five women united by blood and circumstance. The writing is excellent and all of the female characters are well presented and individual, although the male characters are less well rounded.

The two principal characters are Cheney McGillivray and Greer Dover, aunt and niece, who come together in Alabama to start a Scottish themed guest-house in Kelby, Alabama.

Cheney is a native of Portree in Ske, a Gaelic speaking islander whose father left home a
Sharon Heaverly Machuga French
I received an e-book copy of Alabama Skye in exchange for an honest review. I do not like to do a "book report". You can see what the story line is by reading other reviews or the back cover blurb. I base my review on my own personal reaction to the book.

This is a very heart-warming story of 5 women who are connected by family and friendship. I loved the way the author developed the characters and kept me wondering what the history was of some of the women. The way in which J.C. Wing brings them
Janet Richardson
Jul 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely Loved this book by J.C. Wing. I have read both of her books now and will continue to read her novels.

This was a book that captured my interest, held it, and left me wanting more when I reached the end.

The very interaction between characters, the story line, and the history of both Scotland, and the south have a way of pulling you in and keeping your interest during the whole book.

I feel that this is a great avenue for J.C. Wing to consider a series, as with these characters, there
Stephanie
Jul 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Alabama Skye is a great story. Cheney struggle with her husband death. Greer have become pregnant with a fling. The family came togther to help one another, and they form a greater bond with eachother. The story is heart warming and heart wrenching. It's about the pain, struggle, and growth.
Pat
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Well written storyline with well developed characters had me hooked from the very beginning and the characters made me feel like I was peeking through their window watching as their story unfolded!

I voluntarily reviewed an advanced reader copy of this book.
Tracy Gilmore
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Keep the tissue handy.

This beautiful story follows four women and the struggles they face. Ghosts keeping one up at night, skeletons banging the door to come out, an admittance one needs to express and one who collects pebbles so she doesnt forget a thing. I didnt expect to be drawn in by these women but I was. Sarah made me cry when I wanted to be happy, angry and sad. Excited to read book two.
Michele Del Rey
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Cheney and Greer have a unique relationship. This was the first book I have read from this author and I really enjoyed it. This story had many different layers, which I enjoyed. Really good story.
Erin McGowan
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
While this book seemed to progress a little slowly, I really enjoyed the dynamic of the well rounded characters. There were a lot of them, and let me tell you, it took my about 10 chapters to get them all straight in my head. Even in the last few chapters, I had to make sure I was thinking about the right one as I read, because it was easy to mix up the myriad of faces mentioned in the book. Especially the ones that were spoken about, but never really made an entrance, in particular Keene, Greer ...more
Bart Hopkins
Nov 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
“Callum was dead. There was no arguing this point and no forgetting it, either.”

Those are the opening words of J.C. Wing’s Alabama Skye; I was immediately intrigued, and wanted to know more.

The novel blends the people and cultures of two unlikely places: Scotland and Alabama. The result is a charming story, which strangely enough, reminds me of Steel Magnolias … probably due to the salt-of-the-Earth characters and the abundance of southern charm within the pages.

Wing does a fantastic job of deve
G.J. Griffiths
Aug 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-reviews
I enjoyed J C Wing’s first novel, The Color of Thunder, very much and found her descriptions of characters and places captivating and admirable. So I looked forward to reading Alabama Skye, hoping for a similar reading experience. I was not disappointed. The author has the ability to produce a vivid mental picture without slowing down the pace of the story as it unfolds. Admittedly the pace of this book is a somewhat gentle one, being about a group of women who are brought together when the rece ...more
Alison Cubitt
Aug 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Superlative Transatlantic Family Drama

In Alabama Skye J.C. Wing creates an utterly convincing story world that hooks the reader to the extent that compels you want to know more about the characters within this world.

The characterisation of Sarah and the depiction of her condition is utterly convincing. There is a tendency for those of us that don't know Alzheimer's to lump it together with dementia but through Sarah I began to understand a little more about this heartbreaking condition. I was p
Samantha Soccorso
May 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received this book for an honest review.

J.C. Wing is a very talented writer with how she bought this story to life. She related to the characters and made the readers relate as well. The next-generation of family members made you realize how important family really can be. whether you get along with your family or not they will always have your back.

Greer one of the main characters thought she lost love when her Hugh school sweetheart moved to another state. while off at college one mistake l
Jun 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
With Alabama Skye, J.C. Wing is stretching her wings. The attention to detail and descriptions are top-notch and take the reader into the world of Kelby nicely. I was invested in the characters and felt the pain and longing of Cheney, the excitement and trepidation of Greer as she approached motherhood, and the painful and heart wrenching decline of Sarah. If anything was missing, it may have been me wanting more detail - the creation of and opening up of Gannon's Glen seemed a bit simplified - ...more
Lctevergreen
Jul 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
J. C. Wing has written a book that pulls you immediately into the setting of the story and keeps you there through the last chapter. Her descriptions of the surroundings and characters bring the story and people to life and make you feel as if you are there with them and know them personally.
Ms. Wing writes about situations that are part of many people's every day lives which allows you to identify with the characters and their issues. However she has a way of writing so that you aren't bored bu
Chris Meads
Jul 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book caught my eye because of the title. I love to read anything Irish/Scottish and this book filled the bill. J. C. did a good job of making the reader wonder what Cheney is actually hiding. She comes to America after losing her beloved Callum. There she wants to start a B&B just like she had in the Island of Skye and gets her niece, Greer to help. Greer also has secrets too. And both women learn to lean on each other as they find out their hidden pasts as the B&B takes shape.

The i
Claude Dancourt
Aug 09, 2014 rated it liked it
After reading the blurb, I was expecting something in the lines of “the divine secrets of the ya-ya sisterhood”. Though I enjoyed the movie, I still approached Alabama Skye with caution. Then the very first sentence caught me by surprise : “Callum was dead”. I thought : mystery, suspense and a bit of romance and drama. Give it to me. But it wasn’t exactly that either. In the end, the blurb clearly defines the book. Alabama Skye talks about resilience, love and family.

JC Wing gave us good charact
Katherine
This book brings back the beautiful, rich descriptions and complex relationships that readers have come to expect from J.C. Wing. This book draws the reader into the world of a small town on the Alabama coast when Cheney McGillvray, a scottish native, proposes a scheme to turn the family home into a B&B with a distinct Scottish flair. With a bit of mystery and a lot of love the author weaves the lives of 4 women into a compelling tale that keeps you awake long past bedtime.
Jennifer Sivec
Mar 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and the beautifully written characters in it. J.C. Wing has woven a sweet story with rich detail that pulls you in and allows you to envision it from an artist's point of view. It's a feel-good book and I would read anything from J.C.! She's a true wordsmith.
Linda
Feb 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading about the Gannon family. The author got in depth with their past. She also gives you the perspective what it's like in Scotland and it's heritage.
Jolene Murphy
Enjoyed this book from the first page! Wanted to know more about the characters and plot and was not disappointed in the storyline. Just a good book and a pleasure to read!
Ann-Maree Howarth
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I found this story hard to get into at the beginning with too much Scottish dialogue a bit difficult to understand. So I put it down for a few days then started again and I am glad I come back to it. I still found bits a bit boring and hard to follow but the author was very descriptive with her character, you just had to see where they were going.

I received a free copy of the book and have voluntarily written an honest review. This town reminds me of a TV show called “Heart of Dixie” that I just
Chris Naugle
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was all over with this book. Alabama skye took me a few weeks to read, because I just couldn't get into it. There was a plot, but it's all over the place. And I am one of those people that if there are words in another language, with in the book anywhere to translate it, I will skip over those parts. I did that quite often in this book. I would have given it a two or three star, however, there was one part in the book that literally had me in tears. The emotion from the characters was real and ...more
Chrissi
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance-type
This is a beautifully written multi-generational story that will touch your heart and leave you will all the feels! It shows the way family come to together in times of need and crisis. Women supporting women.
Cheryl
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Totally LOVED this mesmerizing novel! Ms Wing knows how to weave a story to hold your attention til the end!!!
Tonya sayler
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book really held my attention from the first page.
The woman had live, struggles, and so much loyalty. I look forward to reading the next book in this series.
Fringe Fiction: Contemporary Romance 1 9 Jan 10, 2017 03:47PM

• Altruistic Armadillos, Zenlike Zebras
  • Patricia Wells at Home in Provence: Recipes Inspired By Her Farmhouse In France
  • Why Can't You Read My Mind?: Overcoming the 9 Toxic Thought Patterns that Get in the Way of a Loving Relationship
  • The Secret Life of a Snowflake: An Up-Close Look at the Art and Science of Snowflakes
  • Juli Bauer's Paleo Cookbook: Over 100 Gluten-Free Recipes to Help You Shine from Within
  • Sweets: A History of Candy
  • Nation of Nations
  • Darwin and the Barnacle: The Story of One Tiny Creature and History's Most Spectacular Scientific Breakthrough
  • Hillary's Choice
  • Quantico Rules (Puller Monk #1)
  • Nixon Volume #3: Ruin and Recovery 1973-1990
  • One-Night Stands with American History: Odd, Amusing, and Little-Known Incidents
  • Don't Know Much About the Universe: Everything You Need to Know About Outer Space but Never Learned
  • Mugabe: Power, Plunder, and the Struggle for Zimbabwe's Future
  • Good Time Girls of the Alaska-Yukon Gold Rush: A Secret History of the Far North
  • Vanilla: The Cultural History of the World's Favorite Flavor and Fragrance
  • Locust: The Devastating Rise and Mysterious Disappearance of the Insect that Shaped the American Frontier
  • The Only Kayak: A Journey into the Heart of Alaska
J.C. Wing is a novelist who writes both southern lit and romantic comedy, but she’s got plans to tackle a few other genres in the not too distant future. Her works include The Color of Thunder, The Gannon Family Series, the Goddess of Tornado Alley Series and a collection of short stories, personal essays and poetry titled Acquainted With Butterflies. She was also a contributing author for Perfect ...more

Gannon Family (2 books)
  • A Skye Full of Stars (Gannon Family #2)