Start by marking “The Prediction” as Want to Read:
The Prediction

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

The Prediction

Nobody knows the day they’ll die... until now.

Mathematical genius Daniel Geller has developed a formula to predict a person’s date of death, only to have it rejected by the faculty at Trinity College. Totally devastated, he turns his back on the world he once loved.

Twelve years on, Daniel’s old professor John Redmond and his wife are coming to terms with the death of their
Published June 1st 2013 by KDC Publishing

Inge
Aug 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
After I entered the giveaway for this book, I was contacted by the author and got a free copy in exchange for an honest review. This did not alter my opinion of the book in any way, nor did the fact that Darren lives in The Netherlands and has a dog named Frodo, which is really cool.

Daniel Geller is a genius. He’s able to predict the date of death of someone based on mathematical calculations. When his thesis gets rejected, he throws it all away. Twelve years later, an old professor, John Redmon
SnoopyDoo's Book Reviews
Apr 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
Even though the synopsis sounded very interesting, I wasn't really sure if I would like it. I thought that maybe there would be a lot of mathematical equations and math talk. But, boy was I wrong.
This Book is great. It is a great written story fowling mainly Daniel Geller the former Trinity College Student and his former professor John and John’s wife Claire as well his ex- girlfriend Grace, as they deal with different challenges in life, such as the loss of a child, spousal abuse. And an old lo
Anka
May 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Warning: Don't start reading this novel, if you don't have time to finish it! It gets you hooked from the first paragraphs, and it asks to be read in one sitting.

The title, "The Prediction", pretty much sums up the starting point of the novel: the formula to predict people's date of death. After reading the blurb and taking a look at the cover, I feared that the book would be filled with mathematical equations or something of the sort, but it is nothing like that. It is a thriller – crime – myst
Karsyn
May 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finished ~ The Prediction by Darren Sugrue
Completed 5/31
4 of 5 stars

I received this book through Library Thing from the author for my honest review.

Warning ~ this book may not be for anyone who has a problem reading about the loss of a child. This topic is discussed frequently, and in detail, in this book.

The Prediction by Darren Sugrue was a FANTASTIC read!! So different and so enjoyable. Reading about the loss of a child was hard to read, and it's not for everyone. I had known going in, to exp
Nina
Feb 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fast easy draws you in, surprise ending.
Aug 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
As much as I wanted to finish this book in one sitting, it is so rich in detail that it took several days to get through it. It's one that will stay on my bookshelf and be re-read in a couple years.

The book takes place in Ireland and Amsterdam, so be aware when picking it up that there is a lot of slang and place-names that may be unfamilar to many readers. For me, it didn't make the story any less understandable.

The book follows several plots told from the points of view of several main charac
Aileen Christensen
Sep 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: challenge
Brilliant! Entirely 'un-put-downable', my Kindle was stuck to my hand whenever I had a spare moment to read. I absolutely loved the storyline, the flawed characters and the intricate details. The detailed depictions of both Amsterdam and Dublin, interwoven with little idiosyncrasies and local references make you feel right at home, whilst relating to and walking in the shoes of the various characters.

Although there are a few mistakes, it says something for the story, when you're entirely willing
Allison James
Feb 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The interesting concept of being able to predict the exact time of a person's death! Once you get hooked, you don't want to put the book down, as you want to see how valid the formula is. The characters are believable and realistic. The author writes well. Great job, and I would recommend.
Aisling
Aug 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Such a great premise, well written, exciting and a thrilling twist. I wanted more math (chaos theory, anyone?). I'm looking forward to more by this author.
Gabby
I received a free copy of **the Prediction** by *Darren Sugrue* from **StoryCartel.com** in exchange for an honest review. I couldn't be happier with my choice in this case. Many books available on StoryCartel are written by authors with whom I am unfamiliar, but I have come across some very good books at that site, and will continue to look there for books that might interest me. **The Prediction** turned out to be an outstanding book worthy of 5 Stars, and I will be watching for anything else ...more
Z. Rose
May 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Disclosure: I downloaded a free copy from Story Cartel in exchange for an honest review.

This story revolves around Daniel Geller, a former Trinity College math Phd student who theorized a controversial formula that accurately predicts time of death. Forward to 12 years later, he spent years out of academia because his thesis was rejected. His former professor John Redmond contacts him to tell him the formula worked.  So together they figure out how valid this formulation is and uncover the perso
Anita
May 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very intriguing story with an unusual premise, Daniel is a young man whose thesis which predicts the date of death was rejected twelve years ago. However his old tutor, now a professor grieving for his young son, tries to get him to re-present it because one of the dates proved came true.

As a debut novel this is an excellent story which grips the reader from the beginning. The action runs along two plotlines in two cities, Dublin and Amsterdam, John and Claire’s grief for their young
Veronica
Aug 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this review copy from LibraryThing in exchange for an honest review. Firstly, the novel deals with issues such as the loss of a child and domestic abuse so be aware. I was absolutely blown away with this book from the beginning to finish. The author did an incredible job of making it a fast paced novel that draws you in but also takes the time to develop the main characters. I had great difficulty putting it down. It is based on a mathematical genius who has developed a formula that c ...more
✿ ♥  Heather ♥ ✿
Actual Rating 4.5 stars

Wow ! Loved this book !

Darren Sugrue contacted me to see if I wanted a free copy of his e-book, The Prediction, after I had selected it "To Read". I thought "why not" but let him know it would be a couple of months before I'd get to it. I was under no obligation to review the book.

A good suspense thriller can leave you hanging at the end of a chapter, and this book certainly did that. I couldn't guess what was coming.

(view spoiler)
Steve Mccool
DISCLOSURE: The author, whom I have no connection with, provided me with a free copy of this book once I had added it to my "To Read" list. I was not under any obligation to review or write a positive story. I had intended to purchase it.

Overall I enjoyed it – pretty punchy, good shifts in plot all the way through and unusual story line. Some of the narrative is quite emotional (relating to the loss of a child) and I thought that was very well written.

Some of the colloquialisms might confuse the
Louise
Oct 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Nobody knows the day they’ll die… until now

WOW .. A must read could not put this book down had me hooked from the very first page . Now imagine if you could predict the exact day of when someone would die or if someone could predict the day that you would die !!!

Sensitive witty and full of suspense twists and turns a story that truely teaches us to live each and every day to the fullest and reach for our dreams and goals. A fantastic plot with an unexpected ending. You will not be disappointed

I
Kimberly
WOW! The Prediction by Darren Sugrue is an engaging suspense filled book that kept me awake reading way into the night! I did not want to lay my NOOK down, wanting to see what was going to happen next.
It took a lot of twists and turns that I wasn't expecting, with a surprising ending.

I look forward to reading more by this author in the future.

I received a free copy of this from the author in exchange for my review rather it be good or bad.
Abby West
Jul 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was recommended to me via a friend of a friend on Facebook. I thought I would give it the first few chapters and if I didn't get into it I would leave it. How pleasantly surprised I was!
The concept of predicting your death using math is very interesting (although totally unrealistic). But the characters and plot really pull you in. And without wanting to give away too much; a terrific twist at the end that I honestly didn't see coming. Well worth it.
Susan
Aug 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book from start to finish! Although I was able to predict (no pun intended) some of the outcomes -- I won't go into detail -- I still was enthralled by the twists & turns. Mr. Sugrue is a gifted writer, & I think this book could be a best-seller if given the opportunity. I was lucky enough to receive this book for free via Goodreads, & I'm so glad that I gave it a chance. Anyone who likes a good thriller & a sophisticated, original story line should read thi ...more
Fatima
Mar 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Nunca pensé que en un momento de mi vida quisiera saber que momento podría ocurrir mi muerte. Y si lo supiera, que haría ? Un muy buen libro, el cual te expone estas interrogantes y otras más bajo un thriller muy bien realizado.

Lo recomiendo.
Martín
Oct 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
--- I received a free ebook copy of this novel in exchange for my honest review

What a wonderful surprise it was! Great debut novel: original, suspenseful and fast paced. You will be hooked up from the beginning and, in fact, unable to predict the ending. Read it before it becomes a movie!
Bonnie
Jun 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding, best book I have read in the last couple of months! Interesting and different storyline. Involves you with the well-developed characters. Surprise twist. Looking forward to more books by this author.
WendyB
Dec 13, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: own
Very disappointed in this. Poor writing, poor story. There was so much unnecessary filler in this, if you only read the first sentence in each paragraph you would more than understand the story. Might have worked as a short story.
Richelle
May 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. It kept me hooked from the first page to the very last. I loved the suspense and the detail that kept the story realistic. Definitely well worth picking up.
Stephanie Frantz
Feb 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book had a great story line. It was easy to read and intriguing. I especially enjoyed the ending.
Kaitlyn King
Aug 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
ksteenbookreview called it 'creative, original, and a must read if you like well written books!"

The Prediction was a book that the author was kind enough to send me to read, and I managed to find the time to get to it today. And I must say, and I must, that it was quite the read. From the moment I picked it up to the moment I put it down I was amazed at the writing style and choice in diction from the author.
Now, as I always do, let me tell you a bit about what you are getting into when you pic
Bri
I received this book from a giveaway by the author and was asked to give it a review once I finished it.

What I like: The idea of the story was something I've thought about before, something that really truly intrigued me and I was not disappointed. Each character held their own and had their own distinct personalities, I didn't have to remember who was speaking because the dialogue gave me good indication with how they spoke. The cover also has a perfect tie-in to the whole story, something th
Gadget Girl
Jun 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have just finished The Prediction after yet ANOTHER sleepless night; I just couldn't put it down. Ive been lucky as Ive enjoyed some really fab reads in the last few months.
But this one was a complete surprise in many ways. I thought I knew what the story was going to be about, how it would play out, even to how it may end. WRONG, WRONG WRONG!

This is Darren's debut novel which is so hard to believe as he is an excellent writer who has created some great characters and I knew from the first pag
Erica
Sep 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
After entering the giveaway for this book, the author contacted me to offer a free copy in exchange for an honest review.

Daniel was supposed to get his PhD after submitting his thesis on the ability to calculate someones death based on his mathematical equations. After it was rejected, he spiraled down into a "less qualifying" job for someone of his genius. He has found some happiness with his wife and son. He is contacted over a decade later by a professor that tried to back his thesis, only to
Wanda
Jun 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received an advanced e-copy of Darren Sugrue's fictional novel "The Prediction" compliments of Library Thing and appreciated the opportunity. Alert- may contain spoilers.

I will begin by stating that for a first-time novelist, Sugrue writes like a best-seller! This book captures the reader's attention from the moment they pick it up, and the suspense sails straight through to the end. This book demands to be read from front to cover in one sitting!

We are introduced to Daniel Geller, an Irish cr
#13 in Amazon.com Rank :-) 1 15 Sep 25, 2014 11:11AM
  • The Zodiac Paradox
  • The Seduction of Miriam Cross (A Delilah Percy Powers Mystery, #1)
  • Delaney's People: A Novel in Small Stories
  • The Difficult Sister (Emma Golden Mysteries, #2)
  • Uncertainty Principles
  • Notown
  • The Forbidden Voyage (Left Behind #1)
  • A Dubious Device: The Nanobot Terror (Colton Banyon Mysteries, #10)
  • Four Corners
  • Savage Bay (Titan Six, #1)
  • Seraphim
  • Lex Talionis
  • Island Bluffs
  • Darkside (Children of Bhast #1)
  • The Curse of Europa
  • Indivisible
  • Embrace (The Epherium Chronicles, #1)
  • Compliments of a Friend
Darren Sugrue grew up in Dublin, Ireland and has lived and worked all over the world including the UK, Cambodia, USA and Australia.

In 2015, his first novel "The Prediction" reached #4 in the Amazon Best Seller list of Mystery, Thriller & Suspense. His second novel "The Shattered Conscience" was released in 2016. He is currently working on his third novel - a Psychological Thriller that is expe
“The present only is our own, So live, love, toil with a will, Place no faith in "Tomorrow," For the Clock may then be still.”   Robert H Smith” 5 likes
“gezelligheid” 1 likes