Start by marking “Love & Death: The Murder of Kurt Cobain” as Want to Read:
Love & Death: The Murder of Kurt Cobain

Love & Death: The Murder of Kurt Cobain

A stunning and groundbreaking investigation into the death of one of the great rock icons of our times -- revealing new evidence that points to a terrible conclusion.

On Friday, April 8, 1994, a body was discovered in a room above a garage in Seattle. For the attending authorities, it was an open-and-shut case of suicide. What no one knew then, however, and which is only
Published March 20th 2014 by Allison & Busby (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Love & Death, please sign up.
Deborah I read the first one and now I am reading this one. It is a follow up indeed. Have new discovers, new updates and some corrections about the case. if…moreI read the first one and now I am reading this one. It is a follow up indeed. Have new discovers, new updates and some corrections about the case. if you read the firs it is nice to read the second one as well.(less)

Start your review of Love & Death: The Murder of Kurt Cobain
Amanda Cerreto
Aug 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have never been one for conspiracy theories, so when my boyfriend gave this to me to read I was highly doubtful. From what I knew of Cobain, he was a cocaine addicted musician from Seattle - a brilliant one, but it seemed open and shut to me.

The story is written by journalists who follow Tom Grant's story. Grant is a former cop turned PI, who was hired by Courtney Love to find her then-missing husband, Kurt.

To go into all the details of the book would take forever, but it was truly eye
Alison
Jul 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Annaliese Rozos
Dec 26, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This -and Who Killed Kurt Cobain?- are the worst books about Kurt Cobain. They're just rehashed old conspiracy theories strung together into a "book." It really didn't compel to question my ideas; if anything, it reinforced my idea the Kurt killed himself. It's a bottom feeders paradise. Wana read a real, comprehensive, well-researched book about Kurt Cobain? Read Heavier than Heaven or, better yet, Come As You Are; The Story of Nirvana.
Heidi Paulsen
Jul 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who cried the day they heard that Kurt Cobain had "committed suicide".
I loved Kurt Cobain. I can remember exactly where I was the moment I heard he had died. God, it made me so sad. And to think that someone who appeared to have it all would kill himself. Well, guess what??? He didn't!! That's right, looks like someone else (can we say bitch of a whore/wife about to be divorced) had him murdered!

This book is all about how there is absolutely no way that Kurt could have or would have killed himself. Now you might be saying to yourself; "That's bullsh*t! I saw
May 27, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-crime
Was Kurt Cobain really murdered by his psychotic hosebeast wife? We'll probably never know for sure, but this book provides some interesting theories on what might have happened. There's oodles of information to process but it's arranged very nicely to make the book an intriguing and quick read.
Changey Mcsubject
Jamie Barkin
Feb 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a huge fan of Cobain and Nirvana, I've always believed the theory projected within this book to be true. Te authors present their argument and evidence in a calculated and do so in accessible terms. I enjoyed this book so much I've bought it twice.
Elise
Jan 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read any book that I can get my hands on about Kurt Cobain. And I am indeed one of those people that are convinced he did not kill himself. This book helps prove it.
Leah Polcar
I was never particularly into determining all the details about the murder theories surrounding Kurt Cobain. I had the general opinion, especially after seeing the documentary (such that it is) Kurt and Courtney, that Courtney Love killed him: either by having him murdered or driving the man to suicide. And in any case, who really cares? Nonetheless, curious about the last months of Cobain's life and his relationship with Courtney Love, and not trusting Heavier than Heaven, the Love "authorized" ...more
Marc Blanc
Oct 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At times creepier than fiction, this book reveals a handful of pretty damning quotes from Courtney Love and exposes some serious inconsistencies in her behavior surrounding her former husband's death. The previously undisclosed resources and information the authors got their hands on are also triumphs of the book, along with the detailed picture they paint of Courtney Love and Kurt Cobain's relationship. Unfortunately, a smoking gun directly linking Love to Cobain's murder is missing and the ...more
Aurora Dimitre
The reason for the rating is as follows: this book was incredibly engaging when reading.

It is a conspiracy theory, and everything in it should be taken with a grain of salt. But it is a good read, especially when phrases such as "grunge world Inspector Javert" and "if Stephen King wrote a book in the grunge scene" crop up. And I'm not making light of a bad thing that happened, that's not my intention at all with this review - this book was just incredibly interesting. And it makes you think.
Joey
Jul 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I met the author of this book at a presentation at the University of Windsor. His journalistic approach causes one to speculate as to the nature of Kurt Cobain's death. A must read for any Nirvana fans.
Puja
Sep 15, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those wanting to believe fluff
i could not put this book down when i read it, and i think it was a while ago, i was re-entering my disbelief about Kurt's death (subsequently Nirvana's which was part of the tragedy). It as entertaining but did not shed any convincing light on what happened. As a fan, it is not a must-read, i don't think. It portrays his life as a cryptic conspiracy that revolves around Courtney "the best sex in his life" (i think that was a quote from the book). Kurt's legacy is so much more than all of that - ...more
Janelle
When my friend first recomended this book I was a tad apprehensive seeing as it was conspiracy based. After reading this novel, along with texts that refuted the theory I can honestly say I am convinced.The author not only interveiwed people that supported his theory but also those who disagreed with him.He was not scared to be questioned by his adversaries, in fact he welcomed it. The evidence presented was clear and concise, not to mention extremely convincing. Whether you are completely ...more
Hanaa
I borrowed this book from the library a long time ago. I was big with the whole 'Kurt Cobain was killed, it's all Courtney's fault.' Even though i'm a hardcore Courtney Love fan. Anyways, I thought it was a waste of time, I still don't like it, considering he died 13 years ago. We'll never know what happened to him. Let's leave it at that, and not point fingers.
Beth Des rosiers
What do I think? Courtney has a lot of explaining to do, that's what I think. This book only continues to fuel the conspiracy that Kurt Cobain was murdered. It also verifies what we already know: that money does the talking and when it does it gets the final word.
Andrew Johnston
Sep 19, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music
I've wasted about 4-5 hours of my life reading this. This crazy theory is based on two things, no-one investigates the death of junkies properly, and Courtney love is a bit of a bitch.
Verm
Jul 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh yeah, she killed him!
Maha Al-balushi
if your a fan of Kurt Cobain or Nirvana then you'll enjoy this book it an investigation into the death of the formar rock star Kurt Cobain the lead singer of the band Nirvana.
Terra
Aug 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic book. I wish the real truth about what happened to Cobain would come out.
Sharon
May 28, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Poses some interesting questions.
Frank
Nov 12, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The truth is out there (but the people who know stuff keep dying)…a serious book with good research that raises serious questions about the Seattle Police Department and others.
A 💋
This book took me on a utter and complete rollercoaster ride. I got my hands on this book shortly after watch the "Kurt & Courtney" documentary. And while I was very much aware of who Kurt was and what happened to him prior to reading this I hoped that this book would allow me a little more of an insiders view into the icons life and demise. And thats exactly what I got. I have to admit into the first few chapters of the book I feared that I was just reading the paper version of the ...more
Jen
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
In my ongoing attempt to read more nonfiction, I picked this up since I used to love Nirvana in my youth, and was always a little curious about Kurt Cobain's untimely death. I remember how devastating his death was and a good friend of mine was really big into all the conspiracy theories floating around... she used to constantly say that Courtney Love killed him. Well, after reading this, I really have some serious doubts as to whether he really did kill himself. I didn't expect to be convinced, ...more
Catherine
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I initially found this book a bit tedious & incredibly hard to get into....that was until I reached chapter four. Oh my God - did this book suck me in! I found it so fascinating that I was going to bed thinking about it & going over & over the theories in my head. I find myself wanting more. This has given me a new fascination into the life (and now death) of Kurt Cobain which I never had before. A book recommended to anyone regardless if you’re a fan of Kurt or not.
Ashley
Mar 12, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
#
CompNtBk
Own in hardback.

FS: "Within days of the released of our first book, Who Killed Kurt Cobain?, in Aptil 1998, the letters, calls, and e-mails began to pour in."

LS: "For the sake of Kurt, and for the sake of the many fans who may still be tempted to follow what they believe was his path, it's time for Courtney Love to keep her promise.."
Larissa Nash
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011, music
This book is well-researched and well-written, but I don’t believe the murder conspiracy. My personal theory is this: Kurt’s stomach pains were terminal cancer, and he had help ending his life. The handwriting samples give me pause, but...
Christi
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Murder?

A very interesting book. I don't know what to think about what happened to Kurt Cobain, but the author did a great job of encouraging the reader to consider a possibility other than the official ruling. Well done.
Tom Wieler
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hmmm...suicide? That's a difficult conclusion to arrive at based on the facts. Maybe just undetermined.
Greg Van Vorhis
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m the first person to call bullshit on almost all conspiracy theories. But there is something in this one. Check it out. So creepy.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Riders on the Storm: My Life with Jim Morrison and the Doors
  • Serving the Servant: Remembering Kurt Cobain
  • Recipe for a Perfect Wife
  • Adam Copeland on Edge
  • Ring of Hell: The Story of Chris Benoit and the Fall of the Pro Wrestling Industry
MAX WALLACE is a writer and journalist. His book The American Axis, about the Nazi affiliations of Henry Ford and Charles Lindbergh, was endorsed by two-time Pulitzer-winner Arthur M. Schlesinger Jr. Wallace co-authored the New York Timesbestseller Love & Death, about the final days of Kurt Cobain. Earlier, he wrote Muhammad Ali's Greatest Fight: Cassius Clay vs. the United States of America. ...more