Start by marking “The Short Stories of F. Scott Fitzgerald: A New Collection” as Want to Read:
The Short Stories of F. Scott Fitzgerald: A New Collection

The Short Stories of F. Scott Fitzgerald: A New Collection

Today, F. Scott Fitzgerald is known for his novels, but in his lifetime, his fame stemmed from his prolific achievement as one of America's most gifted (and best-paid) writers of stories and novellas.

In 'The Short Stories of F. Scott Fitzgerald', Matthew J. Bruccoli, the country's premier Fitzgerald scholar and biographer, assembles a sparkling collection that encompasses
Published 1989 (first published 1920)

To ask other readers questions about The Short Stories of F. Scott Fitzgerald, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Short Stories of F. Scott Fitzgerald

Start your review of The Short Stories of F. Scott Fitzgerald: A New Collection
Brooke
Apr 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everybody thinks Fitzgerald = Gatsby, but his real talent lies in short fiction. I will glove slap anyone who doesn't think that "Babylon Revisited" is the perfect short story. I'd even go so far as to say it's the best thing ever written. Yeah, I said it. Gatsby has nothing on Babylon.

With few exceptions, the pieces in this collection (it's not exhaustive, but it's still pretty robust) range from "charming" to "fucking incredible." Plus it's edited by Matthew Bruccoli, who is THE MAN on all thi
Christian
Mar 22, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like Fitzgerald's novels, but especially people who don't like Fitzgerald's novels
So different from Gatsby and This Side of Paradise, but exceedingly clever and often funny. Of course, this is where Fitzgerald made his money, so the stories tend to lean more toward entertainment than does his "serious" work. There's even a film based on "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" starring Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett. If kids were forced to read that and "The Diamond as Big as the Ritz", perhaps more people would be Fitzgerald fans. Or perhaps not.

So as I continue to read, more and
DJ
A collection of 14x of F. Scott Fitzgerald's earliest stories, written between 1909 and 1917.
The stories (and my ratings of them) are:

The Mystery of the Raymond Mortgage” - 5 Stars

“The Debutante” - 5 Stars

“The Spire and the Gargoyle” (aka “
Dimitris
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Shocking" as it may seem, I had never read even a single line written by F. Scott Fitzgerald till this week and this rather short collection of stories. Never watched any of the big screen adaptations of his novels either, most notably of The Great Gatsby. I had a feeling I'd love him - and in a way I was "reserving" him in my mind as something exceptional for a difficult time - but I had no idea of how much I'd love him!
Even though I read these short stories in a very old and stilted Greek tr
Emanuel
5⭐-;

4⭐- May Day, The diamond as big as the Ritz, The Rich Boy, Gretchen's Forty Winks, Babylon revisited, Winter Dreams, The baby party, A short trip home;

3 ⭐- The cut-glass bowl, An Alcoholic case, The lees of happiness, The last of the belles, Pat Hobby's Christmas Wish, Teamed with genius, Pat Hobby's secret, Pat Hobby putative father, The homes of the stars, Pat Hobby does his bit, Pat Hobby's preview, No harm trying, On the trail of Patt Hobby, Fun is an artist's Studio, Two old timers, Mig
Heather
Dec 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
I have read this book countless times. If you only ever buy one F. Scott book, buy this one. His development as an author unfolds before your eyes as you read his early stories of ambitious youth and eventually wander into his later tales of reflection on human frailty. From Bernice and her Bob to Emotional Bankruptcy and everything in between, this is a collection of short stories to keep on your bedside table for a lifetime.
Jamie
Oct 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We all know I’m giving this as many stars as I can possibly give, so let’s just go ahead and take care of that right now. A constellation and a galaxy of Gatsby’s silver-peppered stars.

Also, in case you’re wondering, “The Ice Palace” and “The Offshore Pirate” are two of my favorite stories of all time.
Petra-X
Jan 09, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, reviewed
This book of short stories - novellas really, as each story is an hour or so long - are very much of their time. People don't live like that any more. Its a three and a half star book, the boring stories, Benediction and the Camel's Back getting two stars each and the really good ones, Bernice and Benjamin Button getting four. The Lees of Happiness is right in the middle with three.

Bernice Bobs her Hair is a lovely story of how the makeover of an unpopular cousin rebounds on the one generous eno
Ben
Mar 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First of all, I really appreciated Bruccoli's collection. The introduction is personable and informative and the small explanations before each story help to place the writer within his context.

Some might say that so many stories might become drab. How much rich whining and "poor in spirit" can one take? I think this is something we take for granted now. Then, before and after the Crash and The Great Depression, when the national identity and arrogance was wrapped up in the frivolity of day-to-d
Anna Tatelman
Jun 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are times when Fitzgerald can quite literally make me gasp, sigh, laugh, become teary-eyed, or even place a hand over my heart as I am reading; he is just one of those authors with the beautiful ability to transcend the page and put the story's very breath right into me. Then there are times when I just could not care less about yet another flapper girl, emotionally desolate American, broken dream, etc, etc. There are stories in here that are pure beauty, there are those that are mediocre, ...more
Joel
Oct 18, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My friend recommended this book, and I really wanted to like it. While Fitzgerald's pedigree cannot be debated, this anthology is a good example of drinking from a fire hose. How many stories of Ivy League socialites or bored Southern heiresses does one need? For me the answer is about 300 pages fewer than the 750 contained in this volume.
Skip around and skim - there's plenty to enjoy here, but no need to take in everything. Special mention must be made of "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button,"
Lettie
Jul 17, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
fitzgerald is my favorite short story author of all time. he is one of the few writers (including even the great flannery, herself) that can hold my attention throughout an entire book of short stories. most authors seem to delve into formulaic patterns of how they write stories. fitzgerald stand firm, funny, witty, a little sad round the edges, attempting to keep the sparkle in the eyes, knowing that the lights gone out...
Tyler
Sep 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Somewhat uneven, but the good ones are dang good. "Bernice Bobs Her Hair," "The Ice Palace," and "The Swimmers" were my favorites.
Piper
May 14, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Huzzah! Finally finished this 2 months later! Started reading this around when classes went online and tried to read a story or two a day. I really like Fitzgerald’s style and although a lot of his stories deal with the same sort of commentary, they differed greatly on humor and seriousness. I would recommend his short stories but reading them all at once like this is a big thing to tackle...
Briana
Apr 08, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't read every single story. Somewhere good and some not so much.
JP
May 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Over 30 of his best, favorite, and most telling short stories; quote by F. Scott: "My whole theory of writing I can sum up in one sentence. An author ought to write for the youth of his own generation, the critics of the next, and the schoolmasters of ever afterward." My favorites of these stories: "Head and Shoulders" for it's irony and certain parallels in my own life; "The Offshore Pirate" just because it was entertaining; "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" due to the perspective if sheds ...more
David Roark
May 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very enjoyable read... Fitzgerald has a way with words that is unlike anyone else I've read. I stand his work up well with Hemingway's, and of course he has his own post-war flavor and a unique gift for phrasing. I definitely want to check into some of his longer works as well. Some of the stories in the later portion of the book deserve a mention, as I've mentioned others along the way...The Swimmers was cool how the swimming actually became the thing that leveraged the rights to the character' ...more
Alison
Jan 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this collection. I am a huge fan of The Great Gatsby but haven't read anything else's of Fitzgerald's until now. I usually have a hard time reading an entire collection of a writer's work, and though this took me awhile, it was more because of the length than the content. I impressed but he breadth of situations Fitzgerald covered, from childhood to teenage years, relationships, engagements, and marriage, personal issues like alcoholism, and even a bit of fantasy (The Diamond as Big as the ...more
Lizzie Mooney
Mar 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The only other book of short stories I have ever read had been "Barrel Fever" by David Sedaris, and having also read "Gatsby", I expected this to be very different. I was right. My two favorite stories had to be The Offshore Pirate and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, (ironically the first and last stories in the book.) The Offshore Pirate was about Ardita, a young, spunky woman who found herself being swept away by an unlikely pirate. Benjamin Button was the story of a man who aged backward ...more
Hayden Trenholm
Although Fitzgerald is best remembered for his novels, particularly The Great Gatsby, a perenniel of high school curriculae, he was like his sometime friend, Ernest Hemingway, a master of the short story. Perhaps because he wasn't burdened with the need to write the great American novel, he let his sense of whimsy, play and pathos have full play. "Bernice Bobs her Hair" and the "Diamond as Big as the Ritz" were particularly memorable and both captured the exurbance and hope, not to mention the f ...more
Ambra
Sep 17, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Wow, I had no idea that F. Scott Fitzgerald practiced writing The Great Gatsby by writing a ton of short stories with the same theme. Poor boy, rich girl...ugh. Don't get me wrong. I love The Great Gatsby and I LOVE the way Fitzgerald writes, but I got hung up so long on that string of "Gatsby Stories" I didn't finish the book before the library said I had too many renewals...meaning I had the book for over 2 months and had to turn it in. I will come back and finish it someday. There are a few r ...more
Alor Deng
Dec 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: american
Masterful short-story writer. For me, the greatest American writer ever.
It's little quotes like the ones below that always stun me.

"Dexter stood perfectly still, his mouth slightly ajar. He knew that if he moved forward a step his stare would be in her line of vision- if he moved backward he would lose his full view of her face."

"Well, let it pass, he thought; April is over, April is over. There are all kinds of love in the world, but never the same love twice."
Eric
I love them all. I reread them for the lyricsm of his writing. I'm reminded of the scene in Good Will Hunting when Will is describing how he cannot play the piano (it's a bunch of keys), but that he can see a math equation and it makes sense. Words made sense to Fitzgerald like no one before or after.
Morgan
Overall I really liked this collection of short stories. Fitzgerald is a great writer. My favorite was Benjamin Button, but I liked a few others too a lot. Some of the stories got boring toward the end after I realized that he has an obsession with characters that go or attended universities such as Yale.
Jim
I liked about a third of the stories. I liked best Stockton's "A Tale of Negative Gravity," Marryatt's "The Werewolf" (which is made all the better when you think about when it was written), Wodehouse's "Providence and the Butler," and Hornung's "To Catch a Thief." A few were decent, and a few others I simply didn't get into; but that is common with any collection.
Raul
this book kept close, on my library shelf is one I grab every time I need a bit of cheering up. The early stories are my favorite as I've always been interested in the 20's and Fitzgerald seems to tell it all. Makes my day.
Kirk Weikart
Mar 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Do yourself a favor and read short stories, especially old serials by the masters. I was intrigued by The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, but was delighted to find that there were many more of that quality and higher in FSF's arsenal.
Lollie
Dec 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very entertaining, lighthearted, and fun.
Matt
Apr 25, 2008 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Been reading this book for like a month and a half but thats why I like short story collections--you can take some time off and not forget everything that has happened.
Luke
He may write one hell of a novel, but Fitzgerald is actually one of my all-time favorite short story writers.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Can’t Recall Title... 1 2 Jan 26, 2019 07:07PM
Benjamin Button 1 11 Sep 21, 2011 07:48AM

• The Short Stories
  • The Complete Short Stories of Ernest Hemingway
  • Lizos butas
  • Lila: An Inquiry Into Morals (Phaedrus, #2)
  • سامسای عاشق
  • Shooting an Elephant
  • The Mangan Inheritance
  • Inappropriation
  • The Body in Griffith Park (Anna Blanc Mysteries, #3)
  • Baltieji rūmai ir Lietuva: Bushas, Obama, Trumpas...?
  • The Chrysanthemums
  • The Complete Stories
  • مذكرات حرب أكتوبر
  • Dustcovers: The Collected Sandman Covers, 1989-1996
  • The Allingham Casebook
  • Dirty Beasts
  • The Short Novels of John Steinbeck
  • This Living and Immortal Thing
Francis Scott Key Fitzgerald was an American writer of novels and short stories, whose works have been seen as evocative of the Jazz Age, a term he himself allegedly coined. He is regarded as one of the greatest twentieth century writers. Fitzgerald was of the self-styled "Lost Generation," Americans born in the 1890s who came of age during World War I. He finished four novels, left a fifth unfini ...more

News & Interviews

“I want to know you moved and breathed in the same world with me.” 1815 likes
“When a girl feels that she’s perfectly groomed and dressed she can forget that part of her. That’s charm” 366 likes