Start by marking “Heat Trap (The Plumber’s Mate, #3)” as Want to Read:
Heat Trap (The Plumber’s Mate, #3)

Heat Trap

(The Plumber's Mate Mysteries #3)

The wrong secret could flush their love down the drain.

It’s been six months since plumber Tom Paretski was hit with a shocking revelation about his family. His lover, P.I. Phil Morrison, is pushing this as an ideal opportunity for Tom to try to develop his psychic talent for finding things. Tom would prefer to avoid the subject altogether, but just as he decides to bite th
Kindle Edition, 1 edition, 255 pages
Published March 17th 2015 by Samhain Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Heat Trap, please sign up.
Maja (The Nocturnal Library) That's a fair question, but there are bloggers and other early readers who get some books months before the release. It's impossible to know the diffe…moreThat's a fair question, but there are bloggers and other early readers who get some books months before the release. It's impossible to know the difference between an informed rating and a plain mean one. (less)

Start your review of Heat Trap (The Plumber’s Mate, #3)
ttg
Jul 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars - Straight up, this is one of my most awaited books of 2015.

Why? Because I love- LOVE- Tom Paretski and how he charms, stumbles, and psychically senses his way through life, love, and a few murder mysteries here or there.

Heat Trap is book 3 in Merrow’s The Plumber’s Mate series, which starts with #1 Pressure Head and follows with #2 Relief Valve. In those volumes, you meet Tom, a plucky (and in my mind, adorable) plumber who has a bum hip (from an incident in his teens) and a special a
Meags
4 Stars

There is trouble afoot down at Tom Paretski’s favourite pub, with the young barmaid, Marianne, struggling to deal with a manipulative and potentially dangerous ex-boyfriend who has set his sights on causing trouble not only for Marianne but for all the people in her life who are standing in his way, which just so happens to now include Tom and his PI boyfriend Phil.

Tom and Phil are now firmly playing the roles of protectors and saviors to those around them who are in need, but their pers
DarienMoya
3.5

Here I go again with another book in the Plumbers Mate series. While I enjoyed this one a lot more than the last I'm unsure if I will continue with the series. Once again, the mystery aspect was a letdown and I’m contemplating if Tom and Phil are still worth it.

Heat Trap gives us Tom and Phil on another case, a most lukewarm case. When the owner of the Pub they usually frequent asks for their help in stopping a slithering stalker Carey Grant, they take the case. What they never expected was
Jenni Lea
Shelves: stashed

Oh, JL Merrow, you've outdone yourself with this one!

Simply marvelous.
Elspeth
Dec 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: twenty-forteen, arc, mmr
Thank you Netgalley for letting me read and review this book, I really enjoyed it.

If you go into this book looking for a twisty mystery like the first installment you are out of luck. This book’s who done it was pretty easy, well at least for me it was.

Then again I ditched a lot of High School to stay home and watch Quincy.

I hated High School.

It was like the characters had signs over there head saying this here be the red herring, and this here be yon criminal.

Anyways it wasn’t the mystery t
Anke
Jul 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What a great continuation of the story! Loved it from first to last page. Although the ending was rather abrupt and I have to say - I need more!!! Even if I have to wait another year, please let there be book #4 :)
Paul
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review
5 STARS
I love these books and Heat Trap which is book three in The Plumber's Mate series takes the cake thus far. Did I mention the hilarity factor yet. http://ontopdownunderbookreviews.com/...

I love the way L.J. Merrow writes her British characters and leaves them to speak freely with their native slang. Maybe being an Aussie makes it a lot easier to understand it because resembles our slang and is so similar at times to the way things are phrased in the UK. This is not an easy thing to do but
Heller
Jul 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
4.5

This is a favourite series of mine. For me, that really stems from my love of Tom's voice. He's irreverent, charming, snarky and sassy. Being in his head is always a joy because he's a character that I love but as much as love things being from his POV that's also where I run into issues because I feel that it could do with a bit of balance from other characters' thoughts and motivations. That doesn't make me love this story any less it just makes me wish for more.

This being book #3 in a ser
Kaje Harper
Sep 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a fun mystery series in a cozy-mystery style, with a great MC in Tom, plumber and paranormal body-finder. I enjoyed this installment a lot. I felt that I was gradually getting a better handle on Tom's boyfriend, Phil, beginning to see his weaknesses and strengths. Because these are first-person, Phil is still a bit of an enigma, but this book reveals more of who he is and what he feels.

The mystery was decent although not enormously unexpected in its resolution, and we learn more about To
Lori
Jul 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much. Tom and Phil are one of my favourite book couples...they're so, British! I have the hugest crush on Tom, I love everything about him from his snarky moments, to his need to do the right thing. He is so perfect in his imperfectability. I love the way he thinks and the things he says. I adore the fact that a good brew is a cure all for him.

The relationship between these two was front and centre of this book, despite a good mystery storyline going on in the background. It
Mark
Talk about having skeletons in your closet well in Heat Trap they are most definitely in the cellar. In German there is the same idiom “Leichen im Kellar” and also has the same figurative meaning which if translated word for word would read “Corpses in the cellar”. So there must be a common origin to this idiom somewhere in the mists of time. I thought of this after reading JL’s guest post as in Germany all houses have cellars, but not in the UK. The only ones you find in the UK are in big count ...more
Deeze
Sep 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'm always a little nervous when starting a new book in a much loved series, but I certainly need not of worried with this one.

Once again I was smitten with Tom and Phil. They have a romance that just feels so real. They also nearly gave me a heart attack at times. I was ready to start bashing heads together.

The murder mystery was intriguing and the cast of characters were entertaining in various ways.

Gary and Darren again add to the humour, cutsie nicknames and all.

Overall this again hit all m
Xing
Sep 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Definitely my favorite in the series! Heat Trap brings the antics of psychic plumber, Tom Paretski to new levels. Boy, is it a hot one!

Tom and Phil decide to help out Harry (from the Devil's Dyke) and her new barmaid, Marianne, with a troublesome ex-boyfriend issue. This is the main mystery/conflict that stretches throughout the length of the novel. However, this isn't the only conflict, as many things come up in Tom's life in this addition to the series, both involving his family and love life.
Pjm12
Jul 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
These mystery-funny-psychic stories are some of my favourite of this blended genre. Admittedly the sexytimes are mostly off-page, but that's not what Merrow is going for here.

It's all about Tom's voice - his easy going nature, his desire to live a good life, not an exciting one, and his determination not to be defined by his 'spidey-senses' (as he calls them).

His love for Phil is obvious, and if only he was as sure as Phil's love for him. If any pair need to up the communication, it's these two.
Meep
Jan 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
This one is for fans of Tom and his vernacular, because honestly, I couldn't tell you what the mystery plot was all about - and whats more I don't particularly care!

A lot of arguments, a lot of sex, a lot of unanswered phones, and a lot of Tom's extraneous thoughts mid-conversations. Throw in a birthday surprise that makes everything okay but just seems out of place. Theres a lot of larger than life characters in the stage show that is Tom's life.

I guess I just wasn't in the mood to fall for Tom
Rebelexmachina
Jun 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5/5 stars

I really like the two MCs in this series and the two of them together, but I felt the mystery in this book was lacklustre. I think the prologues at the start of the book detract from the overall narrative because it becomes obvious quite quickly who the dead body belongs to and thus the mystery becomes easy to solve and lacks the element of surprise.

I was pleased however, that Phil’s bullying past was addressed somewhat as leopards don’t change their spots as easily as Tom might thin
Linda ~ they got the mustard out! ~
Oh geez, so much going on in this one!

I complained in my review for the last book that I thought Tom and Phil's relationship took a backseat. That was not the case here. The case Phil's working on effects them both personally and even brings out some secrets Phil has been hiding about himself. It really tests their relationship, bringing up old concerns, but doesn't go into melodrama territory.

The case is again well-done. Marianne, the new bartender at the Dyke, is running from her abusive ex-
Vfields Don't touch my happy!
For me, there is nothing better than picking up a book and realizing you totally connect to the characters and goings-on because you remember and cared about them so much in the previous books. When they feel like old friends Tom & Phil and you can't wait to see what's new ... GOLDEN! That's the way it feels reading this Heat Trap. The mystery isn't the star of this read. It's the character development and the day-to-day events that shine and keep me in touch with these folks. J.L. Merrow create ...more
Chris, the Dalek King
Everything is going fine for Tom and Phil. Everything. Well, there is that thing with Tom’s dad…and everyone seems intent on questioning their relationship…but everything is fine. Then a patch of bad weather (of the roast ‘em in their socks variety) comes to town and everything goes a bit pear-shaped.

They find themselves pulled into helping Marianne-–a waitress at The Dyke-–get rid of her stalker ex, who seems to be slippery as a buttered eel. But while Phil and Tom find plenty of evidence that
Tess
Aug 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: funny, disability

Enjoyable but probably my least favourite of the series because of the lack of communication.
Ricardo
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lots of fun, entertaining, and the author toned down Tom’s colloquialisms enough so that instead of flooding the dialogue they actually added to it. At times I do have difficulty liking Tom, though, despite his obvious charm. Maybe it’s because he can act much more like a diva than his friend Gary and it’s usually because he can be very immature sometimes. Overall, though, the book is very entertaining and enjoyable
Didi

It seems JL Merrow's Tom Paretski and his brooding PI Phil Morisson always hit the right spot for me.

Here, about a year being an establish couple, they were - apparently - still having new revelation of each other. But that's life, right. All these ups and downs just made their connection more real, which I love!

Tom's best mate Gary still up with his queen over the top antics that cracked me up. The mystery... I didn't even consider it a mystery at all. It just served as added trouble
orannia
Jun 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, 2015
Four and a half stars. What can I say, I love this series. Because Tom's voice is so strong. It's like he's right there, talking in your ear. I lived in the UK for several years, so the colloquialisms make sense and remind me of 'yesteryear' *grin* I do sometimes wonder if the people Tom surrounds himself with care for him, but several of them showed just that as this story progressed. The mystery was...OK, but the developing relationship between Tom & Phil made this book for me. The ending was ...more
Mitticus
2,5 stars.

The thing is I can't stand Phil. Tom and the story are good, but is the relashionship I can't buy.

Beside there are some lacking in the development of the so call mystery, and some loose end, and the use of Tom's gif was very lame.

MostlyDelores
A bit too much faffing about and miscommunicating between Tom and Phil, but still pretty good.
Lori K
Mar 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Toms goes on a bit but other than that, charming.
Shelby
Oct 23, 2019 rated it liked it
This one didn't feel like much of mystery unless you count who clobbered Tom on the head. And Mysterious Mark still maintains his mystery. I know that there was a lot going on in this book, but at the same time, I found this one a bit duller compared to the first two. The whole plot with Carey never really seemed to reach the level of tension I was expecting and ended up being a bit anticlimactic for me.
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews
Slick's review posted on Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

Book three is author JL Merrow’s The Plumber’s Mate series has us once again thrust into the lives of plumber Tom Parekski and his P.I. lover Phil Morrison. In Heat Trap, Tom is still reeling from finding out that the man who raised him really isn’t his father and both he and Phil are dealing with a crazy stalker from a case that he is working. On top of it all, Tom once again finds a body but it was one he was kind of lead to and not only is
Christy
Nov 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, arc, on-my-kindle
'Heat Trap', book three in JL Merrow's series, 'The Plumber's Mate', is precisely what I needed to read this evening. Having absolutely adored the first two books, I knew that I'd find comfort in being back in Tom and Phil's lives, plus the humor and wit of these very British books always has me laughing throughout. Exactly what I need in my life, right now, so I'll thank the author, in advance, for helping me battle back the gloomies for an evening.

Tom and Phil's life is just as jam-packed with
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
The Backlot Gay B...: Heat Trap (Plumber's Mate #3) by J.L. Merrow 4 25 Aug 08, 2016 04:57PM

• All She Wrote (Holmes & Moriarity, #2)
  • Somebody Killed His Editor (Holmes & Moriarity, #1)
  • The Boy with the Painful Tattoo (Holmes & Moriarity, #3)
  • The Hell You Say (The Adrien English Mysteries, #3)
  • Graveyard Shift (Not Dead Yet #3)
  • In Other Words...Murder  (Holmes & Moriarity, #4)
  • So This is Christmas
  • Death of a Pirate King (The Adrien English Mysteries, #4)
  • Give Up the Ghost (Not Dead Yet #2)
  • The Two Gentlemen of Altona (Playing the Fool, #1)
  • Not Dead Yet (Not Dead Yet #1)
  • A Dangerous Thing (The Adrien English Mysteries, #2)
  • Fatal Shadows (The Adrien English Mysteries, #1)
  • Body and Soul (PsyCop, #3)
  • The Mystery of Nevermore (Snow & Winter, #1)
  • The Mermaid Murders (The Art of Murder, #1)
  • The Dark Tide (The Adrien English Mysteries, #5)
  • Criss Cross (PsyCop, #2)
JL Merrow is that rare beast, an English person who refuses to drink tea. She read Natural Sciences at Cambridge, where she learned many things, chief amongst which was that she never wanted to see the inside of a lab ever again. Her one regret is that she never mastered the ability of punting one-handed whilst holding a glass of champagne.

She writes across genres, with a preference for contempor

The Plumber's Mate Mysteries (5 books)
  • Pressure Head (The Plumber's Mate #1)
  • Relief Valve (The Plumber's Mate #2)
  • Blow Down (The Plumber's Mate, #4)
  • Lock Nut (The Plumber's Mate Mysteries, #5)

News & Interviews

“It’s the fish I feel sorry for, in all this global warming. They don’t even have a carbon footprint.” 0 likes
“Or have you simply been enjoying that North African river cruise?”
“You what?”