Start by marking “Scott Fitzgerald: A Biography” as Want to Read:
Scott Fitzgerald: A Biography

Scott Fitzgerald: A Biography

3.6  ·  Rating details ·  125 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
In addition to exploring Fitzgerald's professional and personal relationships with literary figures like Ernest Hemingway and Edmund Wilson, Myers also looks into Fitzgeralds private affairs, discussing his family, extramarital relations and alcoholism.
Published April 17th 2000 by Cooper Square Publishers (first published April 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Scott Fitzgerald, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scott Fitzgerald

Amy Beth
Well, I think it's generally helpful if a biographer likes or at least has sympathy for his subject. A sort of mean-spirited biography. I mean, Fitzgerald was no angel but geez.
Jeff Swystun
Dec 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Author Meyers calls this work more “analytic and interpretive” than other examinations of Fitzgerald’s life. Yet, there is an honesty throughout that appears to betray a deeper empathy for the subject. Perhaps that came from the research and the fact that Fitzgerald maintained a month-by-month account of his life over seventeen years. In those pages would be both the public and private man.

So much of his life was public. He and wife Zelda were given to outrageous displays of drama that centered
Oct 27, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
"'A most surprising thing is the death of a parent is not how little it affects you, but how much. When your Father or Mother has been morbidly perched on the edge of life, when they are gone, even though you have long ceased to have any dependence on them, there is a sense of being deserted'" (276).
"'People who live entirely by the fertility of their imagination are fascinating, brilliant, and often charming but they should be sat next to at dinner parties, not lived with'" (319).
Nov 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fitzgerald is one of my fave altime authors. He has a classic, gentle descriptive voice. It is elegant words and pictures of a time and place. So this look into his life was interesting to me/
Keenan Johnston
Jul 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It would be difficult to find a person who sustained more ups and downs throughout life than F Scott Fitzgerald, and for that reason he makes for a wonderful study. Though viewed largely as a failure upon death at 44 years old, F Scott Fitzgerald’s appreciation and genius as a writer has sadly grown only posthumously.

Though classified as fiction, Fitzgerald’s novels are based on characters and events from his own life. Scott famously acknowledged, “All my characters are Scott Fitzgerald’s.” whic
Paul Gleason
This is a messy, gossipy biography of FSF. Meyers assumes that all the novels are autobiographical. He also puts down FSF every chance he gets. I know that FSF was no saint, but come on! People are more complex than this. What amazes me most is his presentation of FSF as a intellectual child in a man's body - one who lucked out into writing The Great Gatsby and Tender Is the Night (two of the greatest novels of the twentieth century) because he had raw talent to burn and the ability to re-create ...more
Mar 10, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The worst of the Fitzgerald biographies, crabbed and inessential. Beatrice Dance and the almost completely unproductive years in the mid-30s seem to dominate it if only because nobody else had let them dominate a biography before; meanwhile, an absurd, oblivious preface dismisses the far superior work that other biographers had already done. Milton Stern, another superior Fitzgerald critic, was being charitable when he opened his review with, "This is a readable book that leaves one wondering wh ...more
Jun 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As an ardent fan of F. Scott Fitzgerald, it was a treat for me to read this. Before reading this biography I had a much different idea of what Fitzgerald was like in my head from reading The Great Gatsby, I almost thought that he was like Nick Carraway in a sense. After reading this that image of him was totally shattered. I had no idea that he was so reckless, awkward, condescending, sensitive, and so many other things. The only reason I would not give this book five stars is because I found th ...more
F. Scott Fitzgerald packed a lot of life into his 44 years, most of it unhappy. With his need to be loved, appreciated, or simply liked, coupled with alcoholism, a devotion to a fantasy marriage, and his hero worship of other authors (Hemingway especially), there was no way out of his personal hell. If it weren't for Fitzgerald's hunger for validation, I'd feel guilty about reading his stories after reading this biography. Meyers' presents Fitzgerald in a very bright light that shows every flaw ...more
I wish I could give the book a higher rating for the writing, but the content was so depressing, it is hard to say I did more than like the book!

I had no idea how depraved the lives of Fitzgerald and his wife were. Simply stated, they were not nice people. I always thought the Great Gatsby was a cautionary tale about being a better person, but after reading his biography, I think Fitzgerald was writing about the only kind of people he knew. I really felt sorry for him and had to remind myself th
D.A. Nelson
Jun 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really well written, well researched book about the crazy and sad life of Scott and Zelda. I finished it feeling really sad that both of them finished their lives in such sad circumstances. Two talents snuffed out too young.

I liked the warts and all way this book is written, Meyers does not hold back describing the extremely bad behaviour of the Fitzgeralds and the impact it had on their friends, family and themselves. As a result, I came away still enjoying Fitzgerald's books, but not really l
Lisa de
Jun 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a cross between a biography and a history textbook. It takes each chapter and focuses on his life and its comparison with a book he wrote. All his characters in his books are taken from people he personally knew. It makes you want to read his other books and then go back and reread the chapter in the biography that talks about it. A college could use this book as a course topic. Very interesting and sad life Fitzgerald had.
May 08, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a well-written biography. Fitzgerald led such a tragic life but yet he was such a great writer. I enjoyed reading about his interaction with Hemingway. It was so sad about Zelda but I truly believed they loved each other very much.
Jan 09, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Disrespectful and gossipy.
Aug 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
F. Scott Fitzgerald, writing at approximately the same time as Hemingway, beginning in the early 1920's, led a very short, tragic life. An interesting read filled with extraordinary detail.
P Cook
Jan 02, 2016
Cheri Jones
rated it it was ok
May 25, 2014
Dan Faciane
Dec 07, 2017
Dec 11, 2012
rated it did not like it
Mar 25, 2016
  • Dylan Thomas: A New Life
  • Victoria an intimate biography
  • Edgar Allan Poe: A Critical Biography
  • E. M. Forster: A Life
Jeffrey Meyers, a Fellow of the Royal Society of Literature, has recently been given an Award in Literature by the American Academy of Arts and Letters. Thirty of his books have been translated into fourteen languages and seven alphabets, and published on six continents. He lives in Berkeley, California.
More about Jeffrey Meyers...

Nonfiction Deals