Start by marking “Church Elders: How to Shepherd God's People Like Jesus (9Marks: Building Healthy Churches)” as Want to Read:

Church Elders: How to Shepherd God's People Like Jesus

(9Marks: Building Healthy Churches)

Emphasizing purposeful ministry over project management, this book outlines a clear and concise job description for elders, helping church leaders to shepherd their congregations well. Part of the 9Marks Building Healthy Churches series.
Published April 28th 2014 by Crossway Books

To ask other readers questions about Church Elders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Church Elders

The Normal Christian Church Life by Watchman NeeLife Together by Dietrich BonhoefferThe Trellis and the Vine by Colin MarshallDangerous Calling by Paul David TrippDancing with Cinderella by Jeff Harlow
Books about Church
128 books — 46 voters
Why Trust the Bible? by Greg GilbertChurch Elders by Jeramie RinneConversion by Michael     LawrenceNine Marks of a Healthy Church by Mark DeverBiblical Theology by Nick Roark
9Marks
40 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Church Elders: How to Shepherd God's People Like Jesus (9Marks: Building Healthy Churches)
Matt
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Superb. Pastors and members alike should read it.
Paul
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book! Church Elders is exactly what the potential reader would expect: a practical explanation and guide on what it means to be an effective elder at your church. When I began reading, I wasn't sure what to expect - I've read what the scriptures have to say about eldership - but the way Mr. Rinne expounds the text with real-life examples makes this a good resource that I am certain to reference over time. Thank you, Jeramie Rinne! ...more
Brennan Penner
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good introduction

I was hoping for a simple, basic guide to eldership. This filled that purpose. I hoped to see the author contrast the role of pastor/elder and deacon but he did not.
Matthew Mitchell
Oct 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An excellent primer on the essence of eldership in the local church.

This is just the little book on eldership that the evangelical Church needs. For years, I have searched high and low for an accessible book that introduces biblical eldership which doesn’t devolve into either a technical treatise on ecclesiology nor a how-to manual that relies on debatable insights from the world of secular organizational theory. And here it finally is!

Rinne successfully avoids secondary polity and pragmatic qu
Kyle
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For some reason I put this book down for a while, but I shouldn't have. If you're a pastor it will convict and encourage you and drive you to pray. I'd encourage every elder to read it, and it would especially helpful for young men considering pastoral ministry. ...more
Matt Tyler
Dec 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Jereamie Rinne's book is a great concise book on church elders. It's worth reading this with those who elder with you or who you are raising up to be elders. Several chapters are excellent. My favorite chapter was his final one on making prayer a primary task of an elder. ...more
Martin Beamer
This was a very helpful and refreshing book. It is designed specifically, I think, for lay-elders in mind and I love that. You don't have to go to seminary to be an elder but you do have to study and know the office before you become an elder. This would be a great resource for anyone who desires to be an elder or even current elders for a continual testing. This is a book I will keep on my shelf and hand off to anyone thinking through the office.

The most helpful chapter for me was his last cha
Nicholas Varady-szabo
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Jeramie Rinne does a great job of pointing to the relevant passages, think through what an Elder/Pastor should be like and presents a healthy model of shepherding in churches today. I found this a great introduction to the topic and as with the other books in the 9Marks series, well balanced, gospel centered, and practically relevant.
Bryce Beale
Jun 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic little book on church elders. I've now read three of the small books in the 9Marks series and I have been thoroughly impressed by two out of the three (the other being Mack Stiles' little volume on evangelism, perhaps the best book on that subject I have ever read).

Nothing in this book surprises, and I did not enounter anything I have not encountered before. But the clarity of expression, the pertinent examples, and the focus on what is most important all helped me quite a lot.
Craig
Feb 04, 2021 rated it really liked it
A handy little book on church eldering and what are the biblical expectations for an elder, both in being qualified and in serving. I would happily hand this to a man who is considering a call to eldership (and then move him on to Strauch if he wants a more thorough treatment).
Jonathan Pearson
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This short book was key in helping me to understand the biblical mandate for elders and how I need to begin praying in that direction.
Marc Minter
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good stuff for aspiring elders (and already active ones, too)

This is a solid, honest, and biblically faithful introduction to shepherding (being a pastor/elder) among a local church. May God raise up many men who will lead in the ways this book reminds us that God has called shepherds to lead.
Adam
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Clear, concise, and helpful. Planning to buy a copy for each of our elders.
Josh
Solid little introduction. I’m planning on using this as a first step for those expressing a desire to be elders.
Dustin Tramel
Feb 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A great introduction. We give this to potential elders to help them think about becoming elders. It's also been a helpful reminder for those of us who have been elders for a while. ...more
Charles Wade
Apr 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: doctrine, ministry
Very helpful for those acting as elders, those who are hoping to be elders or those who are training others to be elders.
Jeremy Mueller
May 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book can be summarily explained by this statement: "shepherds sacrificially care for the sheep." Indeed, Rinne provide a concise and helpful look at the office of elder and their chief concern with preserving the children of God by feeding them a steady diet of God's word, seeking to care for them when they're sick, and warding off predators who would seek to hurt them. If you desire to be an elder, you should read this book. ...more
Chris
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Elders: How to Shepherd God’s Flock Like Jesus by Jeremie Rinne is another small book (133 pages) in the 9Marks Building Healthy Churches series. Rinne’s book is one of the best in this series. It is well-suited for establishing a leadership team, equipping an existing one, and encouraging appointed leadership to persevere in being shepherd-sheep who shepherd the flock of God with the character and convictions of the Chief Shepherd.

I appreciated how Rinne ended on the note of pleading/intercedin
Evghenii
Jun 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Presents the case for elder-led church government. Though, the first couple chapters present a good introduction, the book does not present a good explanation for lay leaders/elders. It basically just gives this as an excepted paradigm. Closer to the end of the book the author and gives directions to the elders about personal spiritual life, discipleship, way to connect to congregation and prayer life. The feeling though, if the elders are to be qualified as described in chapters 1 and 2, i.e. a ...more
Bill
Oct 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ministry
2017: This is proving every bit the versatile tool for training church leaders that I had hoped. Both our current elders and a group of younger aspiring elders have benefited from reading it together.

2016: Biblical, challenging, concise, well-packaged. Before I'd finished reading this I had already ordered copies for each of our current elders (to read through together to sharpen us in our task) plus copies to give to potential future elders.
Ryan
Sep 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Very concise and practical guide on what makes a biblical church elder, modeled after the Chief Shepherd Jesus. I gave copies to some lay men in our congregation and the response has been very positive. The chapters on smelling like sheep and prayer were worth the small price of the book in my opinion.
Jonathan
Oct 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
A great, short, account of the role of an elder in the local church. Extremely accessible and helpful to those looking to be an elder - and those currently elders to be reminded!
Rick Dobrowolski
Dec 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great little book on church leadership. This is the type of book to put in the hands of the leaders of your church to read and discuss. It challenged me in several areas of need.
Leandro Dutra
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very objective, practical & biblical instruction on shepherding. I would like some points to be better fundamented & developed, but nothing too grave.
John
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Until recently, there were very few resources directed toward training elders. A few solid additions have been added to this space including Jeramie Rinne’s Church Elders. The focus of the book is captured well by the subtitle, “how to shepherd God’s people like Jesus.”

Rinne expends his energy on the core calling of the elder: shepherding. He does so because he believes that the natural tendency of an elder is to revert to what they know, typically from the world of business. And so, by default
Jeff Short
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: church, pastoral
If you've never given the subject of elders in a local congregation serious thought, you might be surprised by how many passages in the New Testament speak to it. This book isn't an exhaustive, doctrinal defense of elders in a local church. It is more practical than that and that might be the key to this brief book's usefulness. It isn't usually a doctrinal objection people make to plural eldership, but rather a practical one. Independent Baptist churches largely abandoned the practice in the tw ...more
James Hogan
Oct 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
This very small book was fantastic. I must confess, as much as I've read the various biblical passages on church elders, I've never really dug into the concept of church eldership. I'm sure there are weighty tomes that tackle the topic, but this book does an admirable job of biblically and concisely discussing both the qualifications of a church elder and how an elder should fulfill his role in the church. One could surely read this book in less than an hour, but I much enjoyed the week plus of ...more
Ciaran Kelleher
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a really helpful primer and reminder on the role of elders within the local church. The prominent conviction which shapes this book is that elders are called to pastor God's flock who have been given into their care.

The strengths of this book are multitudinous but the main ones are simplicity and application. This can be read by a Christian of any age and stage and they will understand it and feel the challenge herein.

Who is the book for? For the senior pastor who is wanting to train his
Mwansa
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The role of the Elder within the local church is one that cannot be played down. It is one that must be taken up with a prayerful heart and somber judgement. Reading this book opened my eyes even more to the necessity of praying for ones elders. They go through so much in the process of shepherding God's flock and at times the weight of the calling upon their lives might has a heavy toll on their personal and family life.

Thank God for the men he has blessed with the capability and the desire to
Mark D.
Apr 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Yet another outstanding book by 9 Marks. As a pastor of 25 years, I wish I would have had this book at the beginning of my pastorate. I became a pastor, not really knowing what all is required. I also didn't have a checklist of duties. This book contains such a list. I will utilize this book as a refresher on the duties of a pastor. The list can be used as a guideline to help the pastor know if he is on course or not. Also, this book will be a great help as I desire to expand the leadership of t ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Evangelism & the Sovereignty of God
  • Don't Fire Your Church Members: The Case for Congregationalism
  • Dark Clouds, Deep Mercy: Discovering the Grace of Lament
  • One Assembly: Rethinking the Multisite and Multiservice Church Models
  • The Rise and Triumph of the Modern Self: Cultural Amnesia, Expressive Individualism, and the Road to Sexual Revolution
  • Understanding Baptism
  • The Gathering Storm: Secularism, Culture, and the Church
  • The Trellis and the Vine: The Ministry Mind-Shift that Changes Everything
  • What Is a Healthy Church?
  • Thoughts for Young Men
  • How Can I Love Church Members with Different Politics?
  • Dangerous Calling: Confronting the Unique Challenges of Pastoral Ministry
  • Instruments in the Redeemer's Hands: People in Need of Change Helping People in Need of Change

9Marks: Building Healthy Churches (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Church Membership: How the World Knows Who Represents Jesus
  • Church Discipline: How the Church Protects the Name of Jesus
  • Evangelism: How the Whole Church Speaks of Jesus
  • Expositional Preaching: How We Speak God's Word Today
  • Sound Doctrine: How a Church Grows in the Love and Holiness of God
  • The Gospel: How the Church Portrays the Beauty of Christ
  • Discipling: How to Help Others Follow Jesus
  • Conversion: How God Creates a People (9Marks: Building Healthy Churches)
  • Missions: How the Local Church Goes Global
  • Prayer: How Praying Together Shapes the Church (9marks: Building Healthy Churches)