Start by marking “Stoker's Dracula (Marvel Illustrated)” as Want to Read:
Stoker's Dracula (Marvel Illustrated)

Stoker's Dracula (Marvel Illustrated)

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  14,680 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
Thirty years later, comics legends Roy Thomas and Dick Giordano reunite to complete their unfinished adaptation of Bram Stoker's classic tale of vampire horror, Dracula Originally serialized in Marvel horror magazines Vampire Tales and Legion of Monsters, their meticulous retelling of Bram Stoker's tale of Gothic horror has been found in the Marvel tombs, and will at last ...more
Published November 9th 2005 by Marvel Comics (first published 2005)

Jokoloyo
Dec 16, 2016 rated it liked it
It is a faithful adaptation, not a "cheap" thrill of vampire hunting stories (I believe if you want a vampire hunting full action story, Marvel comics provides 'Blade').

There is 'it is me not you' issue: I found cursive handwriting letters on comic text boxes are distracting. I understand the adapters want to present epistolary atmosphere in the story with the cursive letters, but still... oh well, as I said, it is my issue.
Lena Tumasyan
Sep 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book in Borders, during its going-out-of-business clearance sale. I am very sad to see Borders go, as it was more then a bookstore to me. It was a social hub, a place of high school memories, and a great escape from the craziness of home. But alas...nothing I can do.

I've read Bram Stoker's Dracula many times. Who hasn't? I'm sure everyone has seen one of the many Dracula movies made in the last century. And with vampires being incredibly popular nowadays, I figured what else can th
Jay
Nov 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: marvel
I had this on my shelf waiting to be read, so I figured Halloween was a great time to read it. This is a fantastic adaptation of the novel, and does the original work great justice. The art (Giordano) perfectly captures the mood and lends a "period" feel to the whole thing. The HC version is bound nicely, but there is some gutter loss which is a bit frustrating. If you've read the novel this is worth a read especially for the art. I always like to start with the original work before venturing on ...more
Sariah
Apr 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Borders was closing and this is one of the graphic novels I picked up for 80% off - I am a huge fan of the original novel and was curious. It is very faithful to the novel and the graphics make it even MORE creepy, if that is possible. I also find it very satisfying that Dracula could rip out Edward Cullen's throat and eat him for breakfast. How come there isn't a graphic novel about that? I'd buy that at full price.
Dan
Jul 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
In 1897, Draculawas first published by Bram Stoker. In 1975, comic book legends Dick Giordano and Roy Thomas began working on a comic book adaptation of Dracula for Marvel Comics. Unfortunately, the project was cancelled. Thirty years later, the two reunited to complete the book. Here is Stoker’s Dracula, a beautiful, hardcover graphic novel. Thomas and Giordano set out to create “..the most faithful adaptation ever.” Is it one-hundred percent faithful? Now, I am a huge fan of the original vampi ...more
Dana
Aug 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: summer-2017-tbr
I loved this edition of Dracula. Though I have not finished the novel itself, I have friends who have and they assured me that this does not leave much out.

The story itself was quite interesting. As one of the first full vampire novels, I can see how others have drawn inspiration from this book.

There were parts that I was not a fan of, that felt rushed, but as these are journal entries and letters, there would not be the drawn out narratives that would be there were it someone's novel.

The art w
Carl Nelson
May 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a faithfully creepy adaptation of Bram Stoker's classic tale of vampires that excels both in the text and the illustrations. The dialog and narration are fluid, and in graphic novel format the number of different narrators (Jonathan Harker's diary, Mina Murray's letters, Dr. Seward's phonograph recordings, et al.) stand out as different voices. The artwork is bold yet still nuanced, and it manages to maintain detail even in predominantly dark frames.

If I have one complaint, it's that the
Rory
Oct 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very solid adaptation to one of my all time favourite classics. The greyscale artwork is astoundingly moody and perfectly creates the gothic tone and the adaptation of the text (since the author didn't exactly 'write' it per-se) was coherent and well done with all that was condensed.

Only concern was that I had trouble reading Mina's diary entries, that were written in curly calligraphy (the kind I hate and is unfortunately quite common during this time period in history). It was a bit trying on
Bill Williams
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Dracula is a long-winded Victorian novel about a prototypical vampire and his quest to add to his un-dead harem. The prose is dense and the action is sparse. The story is a slow-build of a horror tale. This comic book version is faithfully translated by Roy Thomas and lavishly illustrated by Dick Giordano. This version of the classic is a solid adaptation except for the lettering which makes the book very hard to read.
Sean Goh
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, comics
Solid adaptation of the novel (which I haven't read), but the text and graphics combine to bring the novel's story to vivid life. Was actually feeling mildly fearful at points in the book.
C.C.Webb
Mar 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: vampires
Nathalia
Nov 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Posiblemente hice las cosas en el orden equivocado.
Primero vi el musical en el teatro.
Luego la película.
Y finalmente leí el libro.

Pero aún así, disfruté de cada página como si fuera la primera vez que me topaba con la historia.

Ahora los vampiros son un chiste que está de moda, pero hay tantas cosas detrás de esta novela que es imposible no considerarla una obra maestra de la literatura.

Don
Jan 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Quite good - it moves briskly, as an adaptation should, and the compressed nature requires excising quite a lot of the frustrating bits present in the original (much of Van Helsing's speeches, for instance). The black and white artwork from comics legend Dick Giordano is creepy, alluring and effective. The original is worth reading but eventually outstays its welcome; fortunately, that problem isn't found here.
Evan
Feb 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Sharmishtha Basu
Dec 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If it is Bram Stoker's Dracula then it is one of my favorite books, not only as a horror but classic as well. The story that Stoker weaved was beyond comparison, no wonder he is still around! Count Dracula has become synonymous to vampires in some places, especially to those who don't read much horror stories, they often mistake count Dracula as a synonym to vampire.
Adriana
Sep 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is like an illustrated CliffNotes version of the classic tale by Bram Stoker.
You miss out on some of the backstories and details, but all the pertinent bits are included and drawn in gorgeous, superdetailed black and white.
It doesn't really bring anything new to the table, but it's one of the best summaries I've ever read of Dracula.
Stephanie
I listened to this book in Audio format and it was quite good. I don't know if the experience would have been the same if I had read it. Dr Van Helsing is read by Tim Currey. You can't go wrong with horror read by Tim Currey
Shaima
Dec 18, 2014 rated it liked it
I have read this book back in high school to avoid the awkward silence on the bus back to my house. Its amazing! I truly enjoyed it so much to the point that I talked about it nonstop for a whole two weeks!
Kayla
Feb 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I always enjoy reading this book. One of my favorites. I love the style of writing from this time period, the setting, everything. I feel it's very romanticized, but that's what I liked about it. If you like this one I would recommend Frankenstein!
Barbie
Mar 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Dracula is just a clasic! I admit it took me longer than usual to end it as it is more complex than what I usually read but it was worth it. I finally got to know the real story and get my own conclusion about vampires. I actually liked it.
Marylou
Excellent adaptation of the story. Loved the illustrations!

Natalie
May 01, 2010 rated it liked it
Good adaptation.
Andêşe Fethî
May 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Very true to the original story
Adnana Dason
Feb 02, 2015 rated it liked it
You also might be interested in Vlad's original Romanian story: http://bit.ly/XiyE4B
PWRL
Ari Kadaloram
Nov 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
great book
Karen
One of my fave books. Read so many times.
Kelli
Feb 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Cool art and very true to the original story.
Jim
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is one of the best adaptations of Dracula that I have ever seen, in any medium. The art is amazing, and the story doesn't leave any of the novel out.
Graphic Novels: Dracula By Roy Thomas and Dick Giordano 1 2 Jul 21, 2016 09:50AM
  • War Stories, Volume 2
  • COPS
  • Crash at Corona: The U.S. Military Retrieval and Cover-Up of a UFO
  • Castle Bravo
  • Emma
  • Under Fire: An American Story - The Explosive Autobiography of Oliver North
  • Joe Hill's Terrifyingly Tragic Treasury Edition
  • Dracula (All-Action Classics, #1)
  • The Legend of Huma (Dragonlance)
  • Haunt of Horror: Lovecraft
  • Unexplained Mysteries of World War II
  • Petrus Romanus, The Final Pope is Here
  • Ray Bradbury's The Martian Chronicles: The Authorized Adaptation
  • Doctor Strange: Beginnings and Endings
Roy Thomas is a comic book writer and editor, and Stan Lee's first successor as editor-in-chief of Marvel Comics. He is possibly best known for introducing the pulp magazine hero Conan the Barbarian to American comics, with a series that added to the storyline of Robert E. Howard's character and helped launch a sword and sorcery trend in comics. Thomas is also known for his championing of Golden A ...more
More about Roy Thomas

Marvel Illustrated (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Emma
  • Last of the Mohicans (Marvel Illustrated)
  • Moby Dick (Marvel Illustrated)
  • Pride & Prejudice
  • The Iliad (Marvel Illustrated)
  • The Man in the Iron Mask
  • The Odyssey
  • The Picture of Dorian Gray
  • Kidnapped!
  • The Three Musketeers (Marvel Illustrated)

Fiction Deals

$3.99 $0.99
  • Oh My Stars
  • A General Theory of Oblivion
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Ya-Yas in Bloom (Ya Yas, #3)
  • The Bloom Girls
  • Pope Joan
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Breakdown: A Love Story
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Blaze of Glory (Civil War: 1861-1865, Western Theater, #1)
  • The Shepherdess of Siena
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Mother's Secret (Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel #2)
  • Chasing Rainbows: A Novel