Start by marking “Pilgrimage” as Want to Read:
Pilgrimage

Pilgrimage

The last thing Gebirga of Flanders remembers seeing is the argument between her parents that ended in her mother’s death. In the years since, she has learned to negotiate her family’s castle of Gistel as a blind woman but everyone assumes that one day her home will be the convent founded in her mother’s honor. An accidental encounter offers another path, and Gebirga flees ...more
Published July 7th 2014 by Cuidono Press

To ask other readers questions about Pilgrimage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pilgrimage

Start your review of Pilgrimage
Lucy
Jun 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Well, I wrote it so of course I love it.
Julianne Douglas
Jul 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
For centuries, Christian pilgrims have plied the roads of Europe towards the magnificent cathedral of Saint James the Greater in Compostela, Spain. Streams of nameless pilgrims walked the Way of St. James to plead their intentions, exonerate their guilt, and render homage to the saint at his Spanish resting place. Lucy Pick, a professor of medieval religious thought and practice, has imagined the plight of one such pilgrim, Gebirga of Flanders, in her historical novel PILGRIMAGE (Cuidono Press, ...more
Scriptor Ignotus
Dec 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: literature
I hate to give less-than-glowing reviews for works by new authors, or by those who either self-publish or have their novels published by independent publishing houses, as Lucy Pick has done with her first venture into fiction writing, but integrity demands straightforwardness. Authors put a serious amount of work into their novels, so we owe it to them to be equally serious in our appraisals of them.

Pilgrimage has an intriguing story to tell, and a fascinating historical setting, rendered all t
Mark Patton
Nov 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Set in 12th Century Flanders, France and Spain, this is one of those historical novels in which historical fact and fictional narrative are so successfully woven together that readers may have to research the topics for themselves if they wish to know where the history ends and the fiction begins. The author is an academic historian herself, and she has drawn extensively on a genuine 12th Century manuscript, the Codex Calixtinus (a collection of sermons, hymns, liturgical texts and reports of mi ...more
Lisa
Jan 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novels
Totally biased since I knew Lucy when I was a grad student babysitting for her. Tommy and I went on some of the pilgrimage sites this summer, so I thought it was really fun to read a novel by someone I know who is a noted medieval scholar about Spain. Very fun read.
Melody Schwarting
As a historian, I loved that this novel had good history! The world was rich, true to history and life.

Lucy Pick crafted the plot into a true pilgrimage. We never quite get closure for the pressing points of the first few pages. The main character, Gebirge, has moved on--emotionally and physically--from a previously difficult life. The plot itself as a pilgrimage was intriguing and enlightening.

However, this is a first novel, and the pacing was hard to follow emotionally. The dialogue/narrative
Meg - A Bookish Affair
4.5 stars. "Pilgrimage" is the story of Gebirga of Flanders who has lost both of her parents. She feels a little bit adrift and isn't really sure what her life holds for her. The time is 12th century and therefore there not very many options open for women. She ends up joining a flighty young woman on a pilgrimage to Spain to follow the Way of St. James. This is a fascinating historical fiction that took me to a time and a place that I have seldom visited in my reading.

Characters are so importan
Jody Allen
Jan 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful 4 1/2 stars read

I really enjoyed the story because of the rich historical detail and the depth of the female protagonists who commanded the story’s direction. I loved it was not a typical medieval novel about Norman, French or English kings or wars, but focused on the intrigues the papacy and other European monarchs perpetuated to gain or retain power usually making their children especially daughters their pawns. The only down side, I felt it had an element at the end that was tied u
Simon Doubleday
May 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A compelling journey into the heart of medieval Europe -- ideal for course adoption! I assigned it as the first text of a course on medieval Spain; the fictional travelers' journey across the Pyrenees worked really well as a means of allowing students an imaginative connection with Iberian culture in the twelfth century.
Heather Green
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really interesting and insightful view into medieval pilgrimage. Lovable and complex characters. The only con: lots of characters to keep track of, but this really isn't too distracting at all.
Natalie Love
Oct 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Entertaining and enjoyable plot and remains relatively true to historical context
Tinney
Jul 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Historians and other people in academia do not always successfully make the transition to writing fiction, but Lucy Pick has made that leap with grace and elegance. She has written a first-rate historical novel, one that is enriched but not overwhelmed by her expertise. In her heroine, Gebirga, Pick has created a complex and three-dimensional woman who is authentically of her own time, yet because she feels so real on so many levels, she is easy for a modern reader to understand and relate to.

Pi
Miriam Shadis
Aug 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
I toned down my rating because of my bias -- I know how amazing this book is! I'm disappointed in some proofreading errors (which were distracting) but totally wowed by the amazing recreation of medieval Flanders, the pilgrimage route, and above all the swath of northern Spain. Gebirga is a compelling female character, and through her blindness we experience the medieval world as perhaps we ought -- through sound, smell, touch -- it's lovely, and insightful, and I cannot wait for Lucy Pick's nex ...more
Erika
Jul 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A scholar of religion and historian of medieval Spain, Pick weaves material from a 12th-c. codex into an engaging story about a young blind woman swept up in a journey across Europe and on the road to the Cathedral of St. James. Historical figures, complex 12th-c. politics, lively characters, a little bit of romance, and a loveable dog combine to draw the reader into a medieval world where the exquisitely supernatural mingles with the earthy and sometimes cruel nature of everyday human life.
Leanne
Dec 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is delightful! I was drawn to the book because of the Camino but it is so much more than that. Gebirga, the main character, was inspirational. The writing was beautiful, drawing me into the story. I found myself gasping out loud, smiling, and almost crying. This is not necessarily something I would have picked up, but now it will be a part of my bookshelf.
Aug 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
I did enjoy this book, but it took me some time to get into it. There were a couple of spots where I thought the editing could have been better during the final proof read, but that's never stopped me from enjoying a book. The descriptions were beautiful and definitely make me want to travel more. The thought of something like a pilgrimage is much more intriguing to me now!
Kathy Moberg
Oct 12, 2014 rated it liked it
This is a very well researched novel. I'll give the realistic depiction of medieval life and well developed characters 5 stars. However, after a promising beginning, the story itself failed to engage me. Maybe it's just me...
Ellen
Jul 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a terrific novel--the plot is engaging, the characters are real people but authentic to their medieval context, and it is refreshingly free of ANY anachronisms because the author is a medieval historian herself.
Stephen
Apr 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great characters....confusing plot. Would love to read more from this new author.
Josephine
Mar 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction-general
Amazing! Purchased this book from author directly, so glad I did. It's historically accurate yet engaging story of a young woman.
Heidi
Jul 13, 2014 rated it liked it
A journey with a blind woman (and her dog) through medieval Flanders, Cluny, France, and Spain. Beautifully written, although the ending felt a bit too full, perhaps like a Tolkien ending!
Kennan

• The Patient
  • Harrow Lake
  • The Architect's Apprentice
  • The Radleys
  • Into the Drowning Deep (Rolling in the Deep, #1)
  • The Greatest Knight (William Marshal, #2)
  • Resurrection (Resurrection #1)
  • The Fool's Tale
  • Nightmare Academy (Veritas Project, #2)
  • The Hollow Places
  • Katherine
  • Equal of the Sun
  • Zombie, Indiana (Zombie, #3)
  • Darius the Great Deserves Better (Darius the Great, #2)
  • The Vine Witch (Vine Witch, #1)
  • The Pages of the Mind (The Uncharted Realms, #1)
  • The Aeronaut's Windlass (The Cinder Spires, #1)

News & Interviews