Start by marking “Weedflower” as Want to Read:
Weedflower

Weedflower

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  3,538 Ratings  ·  497 Reviews
Twelve-year-old Sumiko feels her life has been made up of two parts: before Pearl Harbor and after it. The good part and the bad part. Raised on a flower farm in California, Sumiko is used to being the only Japanese girl in her class. Even when the other kids tease her, she always has had her flowers and family to go home to.

That all changes after the horrific events of

Published April 1st 2006 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers (first published March 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Weedflower, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Felicia Deane it said it in the book it was a car accident

Kristl
Apr 27, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone! especially teens, WWII & Arizona history aficionados
I am so satisfied that Cynthia Kadohata's Weedflower was chosen as the One Book Arizona for Kids for 2007 because I likely might not have gotten to it just yet, if at all.

Having just finished it-minutes ago, my thoughts are fresh and still congealing, which is not how I would normally write a review. However, it has been a long while since I've reached the end of a book-especially one written so quietly and unaffectedly-and had the urge to just cry.

I had to reflect upon the reason for this sudde
Anne Osterlund
Mar 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sumiko lost her parents in a car accident years ago. She and her brother are lucky. Lucky that her aunt and uncle have taken them in.

But Sumiko is not certain she will ever belong. How can anything be certain with war on the horizon, Japan the assailant, and her own family viewed as the enemy? The internment camp in the desert feels like both a prison and a refuge. At least here, she will not be attacked.

Perhaps she will stay here forever. In this place beyond the rules of tradition, society, an
Helvry Sinaga
Bagaimana rasanya kesepian? bagaimana rasanya bosan? bagaimana rasanya meninggalkan kamp? Itulah pertanyaan-pertanyaan yang diajukan Sumiko dan ia sendiri yang menjawabnya.

Novel ini bercerita tentang kehidupan keluarga Jepang-Amerika pada masa perang dunia ke-2. Sumiko, seorang gadis berumur dua belas tahun tinggal bersama Pamannya yang bernama Hatsumi, Bibinya (namanya tidak disebutkan dalam novel), Kakeknya, Masanori Matsuda yang dipanggil Jichan, dua sepupunya yaitu Ichiro dan Bull, dan adikn
Kerri
Apr 26, 2008 rated it liked it
Most kids don’t even realize that when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor, we treated all Japanese like outcasts. We took them from their homes and put them in “camps” so that they would no longer be a part of American society. In some cases, we were not much better than the Germans because we treated them horribly simply because they were a different race. This book is interesting to use to find out more about what conditions these people lived in. Not a ton of action, but a lot of information an ...more
Roos
Apr 29, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Roos by: Furious
Shelves: novelia, 2009
Imas
Jul 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sumiko, gadis kecil berusia 12 tahun warga Amerika Serikat keturunan Jepang dibesarkan oleh keluarga paman dan bibinya di perkebunan bunga di California setelah kecelakaan lalu lintas yang menewaskan kedua orang tuanya.

Sumiko sudah terbiasa menjadi satu-satunya orang Jepang dikelas dan menjadi bahan ejekan, namun dia bahagia karena masih memiliki keluarga adiknya Tak tak, kedua sepupunya Ichiro dan Bull, kakeknya Jiichan dan tentu saja Paman dan bibi serta kebun bunga yang dirawat dengan kesung
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I liked this one better than Kira-Kira. This one is about a Japanese American girl in a concentration camp in Arizona in World War II. Pair it with Dear Miss Breed by Joanne Oppenheim.
mitchell k dwyer
Jun 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Twelve-year-old Sumiko lives on a flower farm in northern California with her little brother, her aunt and uncles, and her grandfather. In every way, hers is like other American farming families: every member does his or her part to keep things running, there is never a shortage of work to be done, and complaining is both pointless and unheard-of.

In a few ways, Sumiko's is unlike many farming families, because her grandfather came to America from Japan. Although Sumiko doesn't look like her cla
Kelly
Feb 11, 2013 rated it it was ok
A quiet novel, taking on a complicated situation with sensitivity and revealing some frequently forgotten pieces of history (such as the connection between interned Japanese Americans and Native Americans). However, while the history is interesting and the summary sounded promising, this novel did not live up to its potential for me. The narrative reads a little too young and while the character's situations evoke great empathy, the characters themselves (including the protagonist Sumiko) remain ...more
Remy
Apr 23, 2015 rated it liked it
I highly recommend this for middle-grade readers interested in learning more about the Japanese-American experience in the internment camps during World War II. We have the chance to really get to know Sumiko, the main character, as her family is forcibly removed from their flower farm in California to a reservation in Arizona. Internal strife and racist attitudes--not only towards the Japanese but also between the Mohave, the Japanese and the mostly white government--are unflinchingly portrayed ...more
USA Geography Cha...: Weedflower by Cynthia Kadohata 1 2 Dec 28, 2014 11:41PM
Opinions on Weedflower 1 7 Nov 12, 2013 09:38PM
Weedflower 2 9 Nov 12, 2013 09:35PM
  • Bread and Roses, Too
  • When My Name Was Keoko
  • Eyes of the Emperor (Prisoners of the Empire, #2)
  • Rickshaw Girl
  • The Game of Silence
  • Journey to Topaz: A Story of the Japanese-American Evacuation
  • Counting on Grace
  • The Dragon's Child: A Story of Angel Island
  • Geronimo
  • Angel on the Square (Angel on the Square, #1)
  • Cora Cooks Pancit
  • A House of Tailors
  • Silk Umbrellas
  • Red Moon at Sharpsburg
  • On The Wings of Heroes
  • Sylvia & Aki
  • Apple Pie Fourth of July
  • Heart of a Shepherd
Cynthia Kadohata is a Japanese American writer known for writing coming of age stories about Asian American women.

She spent her early childhood in the South; both her first adult novel and first children's novel take place in Southern states. Her first adult novel was a New York Times Notable Book of the Year.

Her first children's book, Kira-Kira, won the 2005 Newbery Medal. Her first published s
More about Cynthia Kadohata...