Start by marking “Derelict (Halcyone Space #1)” as Want to Read:
Derelict (Halcyone Space #1)

Read Book* *Different edition

Derelict

(Halcyone Space #1)

Read the award-winning story that started the Halcyone Space series.

When Rosalen Maldonado tinkers with the derelict freighter, she's just hoping to prove she deserves a scholarship to University. She certainly doesn't count on waking the ship's damaged AI or having three stowaways, Micah Rotherwood and brothers Jem and Barre Durbin, along for the ride. They all have thei
Published May 29th 2014 by Interrobang Books (first published August 22nd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Derelict, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Derelict

Olga Godim
Jun 22, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-scifi
DNF at 46%
I wanted to finish this book but I couldn’t. The story was interesting, and the writing was professional, but the lead characters turned me off. There are four of them, each one a teenager. Each one is full of anger and hostility towards everything and everyone, especially towards each other. For each of them, the world is out to get them, their parents are crappy, their neighbors are shit, their living conditions are intolerable, nobody understands their horrible suffering ... you get
Mike
May 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first encounters with science fiction as a pre-teen were the classic space operas of Andre Norton, including the Solar Queen books, about a young man's adventures on an interstellar trader. In my teenage years, I enjoyed Harry Harrison and Robert Heinlein's space operas, and I still love a good space opera - I'm a huge Vorkosigan fan.

This is a good space opera. It has the classic elements: resourceful young people facing danger that might be beyond their resourcefulness, a technological emer
Hackmops
I've had Derelict sitting on my Kindle for AGES now and I am glad I finally started reading - this is such a fantastic coming-of-age space opera with a diverse group of teens who are NOT annoying and written like real people and not some constructed personalities.
Charlie Kravetz
May 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This review is for the Kindle edition ebook.

Disclosure: I was given my copy of this book by the author as a review copy.

Actions of the parents often make like difficult for the family.

Four teenagers find life unbearable, and find themselves doing something about it. Learning to work together is not easy, but is something required for survival.

I thought this book really exemplifies the need to learn to work together. Too many times, teens and young adults think they can conquer the world, as lon
Susan Spann
L.J. Cohen's DERELICT is a well-written, fast-paced adventure. The characters are diverse (a real bonus in science fiction) and well-written, and the plot and pacing are ideal for anyone who loves good science fiction.

I call this "good science fiction" in particular because the tech doesn't feel like a "fake overlay" on a story that could have happened anywhere. This isn't something else shoehorned into a space or futuristic setting. Cohen's world is fully built and carefully developed, creating
Marva
Jul 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: indiesrising
This first book in Cohen's Halcyone series is a great start. The main character, Ro Maldonado, is a prickly and talented young woman with an abusive father. And let me tell you, her father is a major jackass, a criminal, and an all-round candidate for worst father ever. However, his bad parenting is almost equaled by Micah Rotherwood's dad, a disgraced senator in league with Maldonado senior. All of the despicable behavior is in spoiler territory, so 'nuff said.

When Ro discovers Micah in the cra
Claudia Green
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved reading this one! If you are a programmer, you'll understand more than I did but it' a great space adventure with damaged superheroes and villians! This would make a great movie!
J.A. McLachlan
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story, fast-paced plot, interesting characters. Held my interest from the moment I opened it.
Kae Cheatham
Aug 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spec-fiction
Hard science fiction is not a genre I usual select, but this came with a strong recommendation. Dueling spaceships is not the focus. Rather, LJ Cohen has written a human conflict of will and emotion amplified by the circumstances of the derelict freighter, Halcyone, suddenly re-energizing and carrying four young people on a wild ride through space. Various unexpected events kept me reading.

Programming and artificial intelligence are big parts of this story. The information of what is being done
Daniel Swensen
Jul 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi, ya
Lisa Cohen’s DERELICT is a punchy, fast-moving YA sci-fi novel with a gripping story and lots of heart. The characters are complex, flawed, and well-rounded. They inspire, they annoy, they bicker and fight. They find (and turn away from) love, form bonds, endure tragedies, and conquer personal demons.

What I loved most about the book were the technical details. Cohen writes about technology and computers with more skill and acuity than any writer I’ve read in recent memory. In the hands of lesse
Richard Kendrick
Jan 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Derelict grabbed my interest right from the start and by the end I really couldn’t put it down.
The lifestyles of the teenaged protagonists are equal parts alien (total indifference to space travel and life on a space station) and relatable (inseparable from their phones--excuse me, ‘micros’). The obstacles and challenges in their lives are real and serious, and not just the overblown emotions of hormonal high-schoolers. As such, I found them to be sympathetic and engaging and I cared about what
Andy Goldman
Jun 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun, exciting book with characters that feel very real. It kept me turning the pages to the end. I was kind of surprised at the speed with which some of the conflicts were resolved in the tail end of the book. It leaves things open for a sequel, which I am looking forward to, but I was looking for something else to happen (hard to discuss it without spoiling anything) before the book ended. Instead, that resolution seems to have been pushed back to a subsequent book. Putting that aside ...more
Traci Loudin
This is a space opera about a bunch of kids who end up on derelict space craft with a broken AI. I wish they would've gotten on the ship sooner. It seemed like a huge amount of plot happened to get us to that point, and because it felt inevitable that they would eventually get on the ship, it felt like that part of the story took forever. Once they were aboard, though, I thoroughly enjoyed the story. The kids all have their own hang-ups, but they learn to work together, which is great. Also this ...more
Jon
Jun 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick interesting read. I like space scifi that's focused on ships/regular people like this (like Quarter Share, etc) and this fits the bill great. No sweeping space battles, no intergalactic polictics, just a handful of people in a tight spot. Focused, compact, and good.
Samantha
Jun 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Strong and fascinating characters and very believable relationship dynamics. Cohen balances adolescent concerns like parental relationships and growing up, with serious adult decisions for her young characters an active plot. I was engaged throughout and am moving around my reading schedule to get to the sequel sooner. Great read!
Fiannawolf
Jul 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Its so hard to find good space opera aimed at younger readers. Will for sure read this to my nephew and new niece later. Maybe by the time they are old enough to start to understand there will be a sequel to read.
Rob
Aug 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a fun read and a nice story arc. I hope there are sequels!
Fiona Titchenell
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Basics:

To most people, Halcyone is a derelict ship, relic of a bygone war, taking up space in the docks of Daedalus Station. To Ro, it might mean freedom from her father, if she can restore it well enough to impress the University boards. To Micah, it was, until lately, his secret lab, the place where he would find a way to break the cartel’s monopoly on medicinal marijuana. To brothers Jem and Barre, it's the wrong place, wrong time -- or maybe the right one, an escape from Barre’s impendin
Julie Duffy
Feisty character who I liked in spite (because?) of their flaws. Ro, in particular, is intriguing because she is so damaged and tried to be unlikeable. Her journey from loner to leader of a loyal crew, is not an easy one and I'm intrigued to see where it goes in the sequels. But Barre and Micah won me over quickly.

Lots of space adventure and big ideas in medicine, music and technology. Lots of technobabble (which I like), and complicated family dynamics as well as intrigue and societal pressure.
Watson Davis
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I read this book as a book-swap to see if I would promote the book to my mailing list. I sent her FountainCorp Security, she sent me Derelict.

This book is not my personal cup of tea, but it's not a bad book.

She's got a pretty large cast and those sorts of ensemble books can get out of control. Ms. Cohen does a good job of keeping everything straight and keeping everyone in play. Her main characters have strong motivations and are different people pressed into service together by a mixture of cir
pamc
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
It is a rare joy when, about 1/10 of the way through reading a new book, that you realize you're *relieved* to remember that there are more already published in this series and thus you can race through this one recklessly, drinking it in. Gorgeous world-building, excellently-paced plot, and characters I can't wait to spend more time with in the subsequent installments, as they already feel like old friends. Highly recommended.
Ann Thomas
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is amazing. The science is well-described and convincing and the characters are so well drawn, I really felt for them. The plot has so many unexpected twists and turns I found it hard to put down and eventually stayed up until past one in the morning in order to finish it. Highly recommended, and I shall definitely be buying the sequels.
Tina
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and hope there are more to come. It's a coming-of-age space opera filled with an eclectic cast of characters, an old derelict spaceship, and typical teenage angst. Yet these aren't your average teenagers, and it's interesting to watch them grow as individuals, while at the same time learning to work as a team and deal with a dangerous situation.
David Lum
DNF at 53%. Randomly picked this up at the library, and it's not good. The back cover blurb sounded exciting, but I am here to report that there's never been a more boring depiction of artificial intelligence in all of literature. Not to mention the fact that 100% of the characters are angry all the time and complain nonstop at each other. Why am I not giving this a 1?!
Jued
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this young adult sci-fi on recommendation. It started slow, but came together in the last half. The relationships between the main characters particularly interested me, as well as the choices they make in the end.
Elisa
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved the crew. An interesting story, bad parents and some misunderstood children. Everyone is super motivated, some crazy action and not where I was expecting it to go. Entertaining with some very engaging characters. Looking forward to the next book.
Kally
Sep 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I probably would have enjoyed this quite a bit as a teenager. However, I am a bit older than that now and, though it had a lot of interesting parts, as a whole it was not satisfying.
Diane
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Maybe plausible when I compare today with 50 years ago. Interested in sequel Ithaka Rising if I can find it!
Amanda
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Five stars for kick-ass, complex, diverse characters, a tight plot, and absence of creepy YA love triangles. I'm buying my copy of Ithaka Rising today.
Tessa in Mid-Michigan
Not bad. A little contrived.
Space Opera Fans : Derelict by L.J. Cohen 7 40 Jul 15, 2015 07:24PM
The Blog subscription version doesn't exist 1 4 May 08, 2014 01:30PM
  • Raygun Chronicles: Space Opera For a New Age
  • The King's Sword (Erdemen Honor, #1)
  • Ships of My Fathers (Father Chessman Saga, #1)
  • Seeing Red (Ambassador, #1)
  • The Bone Road
  • Other People's Heroes
  • The Tower's Alchemist (The Gray Tower Trilogy, #1)
  • Contract of Defiance (Spectras Arise Trilogy, #1)
  • A Passage of Stars (Highroad, #1)
  • Masterminds (Retrieval Artist, #15)
  • Accidental Sorcerers (Accidental Sorcerers, #1)
  • The Dragon’s Egg (Brightmoon, #6)
  • Henry Wood Time And Again (Henry Wood Detective #2)
  • Ashael Rising (Vessel of KalaDene, #1)
  • Spheres of Influence (Grand Central Arena #2)
  • Kris Longknife: Commanding (Kris Longknife #17)
  • The Meldling (Daemonva Trilogy, #1)
  • On the Imperium's Secret Service (Imperium Cicernus, #1)
LJ lives outside of Boston with her family and dogs. Her writing spans the gamut from poetry, essays, short stories, and novels. LJ has a secret love of reading and writing YA books.

Halcyone Space (4 books)
  • Ithaka Rising (Halcyone Space, #2)
  • Dreadnought and Shuttle (Halcyone Space #3)
  • Parallax (Halcyone Space, #4)
“Ro counted to three, waiting for the station's tired AI to parse her request and decide to give her access. The round door irised in silence. Daedalus didn't even bother to acknowledge her. Wiggling her middle finger at the recessed ocular, she stepped through the opening into the central nexus. She needed to get as far away from her quarters and her father as she could despite the confines of the station.” 0 likes