Start by marking “Double Shot (Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, Book 12)” as Want to Read:
Double Shot (Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, Book 12)

Double Shot

(A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery #12)

“Today’s foremost practitioner of the culinary whodunit.”
Entertainment Weekly

“In the genre of culinary mystery writers, Davidson is a Julia Child among Betty Crockers, and there is no question that Double Shot is her best book.”
Denver Post

New York Times bestseller Diane Mott Davidson is the darling of cozy mystery readers and dedicated foodies the world over. Davidson is
Audio CD, 9 pages
Published October 19th 2004 by HarperAudio (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Double Shot, please sign up.

Start your review of Double Shot (Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, Book 12)
James
Review
Diane Mott Davidson's "Gold Bear Culinary Mystery" series were one of the original cozy series I started reading, and once I started, I ran through the first ten as quickly as I could. By then, I was caught up and had to wait for the successive ones to be released. Double Shot, her 12th book in the series, was the first one I had to wait for... and I was restless.

Goldy and her antics, and friends, were a nice release from the reality going on around me at the time. And when her
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Okay, this is my last one. Yes, I'm finally done with these books. Her ex-husband is back? Why? Couldn't he have been killed in prison in the shower while being a bitch? I guess that doesn't happen in these books.

Goldy is now being targeted for death, again. Seriously, how can she not be dead yet? I would have killed her. Don't even have to pay me to do it!
Donna Davis
Psssh. Desperation drove me to try this series; sometimes I am looking for a light, cuddle-up-by-the-fire type of book that doesn't require the intensive attention of, say, The Pentagon Papers. Well, I found light and fluffy, all right, but this book is light enough for its very premise to blow away with the first breeze. What was I thinking? What kind of air-head (besides me) buys a novel in which the police cannot possibly solve the crime, but hey, the caterer can whip up great food, drop a re ...more
Peggy
Oct 03, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: co-cozy-myster
I have had enough of this. Goldy is all about Goldy and as far as I'm concerned, I would so move out of Aspen Meadows, maybe even the state of Colorado!
She puts everyone she comes into contact with in danger, she has NO regard for her family and friends let alone the police.
I would not like to live where the Police Dept. gives out important info to a caterer yet kick her husband (A cop) off cases. She seems to feel that she is above the law and only SHE can solve the case.
I lost all my pity for
Leslie
Jul 22, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Kate
I am a big fan of the Goldy Bear catering mysteries, although I must confess it's been a while since I've read one, and she's published two books since I last read her work! In this offering, Goldy is the prime suspect in the murder of her ex-husband, the Jerk, and I for one was cheering, as I was a bit tired of the Jerk showing up in every single book and being such a pain in the rear end.

I thoroughly enjoyed Double Shot, although there was a LOT of death in it, including the death of the town'
L8blmr
Nov 01, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am glad this was a quick, easy read, more or less, because it was not one of my favorites. SO many questions, whodunits, red herrings, as well as seemingly endless times that Goldy is breathless, in pain, dizzy, or worse, none of which stops her from interfering in yet another investigation. I did not enjoy her at all in this story. I believe I already have the next book in the series, and I will read it, but if the lead character does not become more tolerable and likable in the next story, I ...more
Amy Lyn
Jul 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first thought when I started reading this book was that Goldy should be severely handicapped by now with all the head injuries she's had. But, I was pleasantly surprised with the twist and turns this title took and that it dug a bit deeper than the previous book. I was also happy to see she actually did something about Arch's bad behavior. Not too fluffy and definitely the best so far.
Cinda
Sep 02, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This book read like a soap opera. I didn't appreciate the tone at all. I didn't realize the book was part of series until after I started reading and the frequent--and totally unexplained--references to a back-story made that evident. The characterization seemed a little weak, many of the personalities exaggerated--or sterotyped. I didn't feel like there was a real conclusion in the book; it just . . . ended. There are recipes in the back of the book, but not being the kind of person who loves t ...more
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
I always enjoy these books but they put pounds on my bottom! I've tried several of the recipes and loved them.
Sara
Aug 07, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Last week it was a religious murder mystery and this week it's a cooking murder mystery. What the hell is going on in publishing?
Dawn Michelle
First, let's talk about just how bad this narrator was; she. was. hideous. I am so glad I didn't have to pay for this audiobook and I truly feel bad for anyone who did. This narrator slurped, swallowed audibly, sucked on candy and at one point BURPED!, all while narrating [poorly I might add] this book.

I was not a fan of this story - I was sure I had read this one, but not one thing seemed familiar to me at all. And it was in no way a happy story - in the whole book, there was only one [to me]
Readergirl77
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's been awhile since I've read about Goldy and her crew, but the sleuthing and gossip and catering all came back in this installment. Fun read.
Cherise  Deeley
This is a little more difficult read than my usual cozy mystery. It is well written and the author does bring together so many different elements that make for an interesting read HOWEVER for me personally I was hard to read. Her ex husband is a horrible person and not only beat her but was actually convicted of abusing someone else and she still cow tows to him! He wants the son to come over at a time that is not agreed upon and she goes. Heck no! But what bothered me most is that not only does ...more
Jacqueline O.
I really enjoyed Chopping Spree by the same author but was disappointed by Catering to Nobody which I read years ago. Unfortunately, the first half of this book reminds me of the later not the former. The first half of this book, especially the opening chapters have Goldy Schultz, caterer and amateur detective making a lot of stupid mistakes for plot reasons. The book starts with her heading to her new catering building the Roundhouse for a catering event, as she's walking from her van to the do ...more
Eileen
Jan 26, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
This cozy mystery had me thinking of Jessica Fletcher and Cabot Cove, Maine. Goldy Shulz like Jessica seems to attract trouble and watch out anyone who is around either of them you may be next. The murder rate in Cabot Cove and Aspen Meadow must be astronomical. They are always in the midst of things and they work it all out in the end. Goldy has a family though which plays rather heavily in what happens. Her storyline moves forward where Jessica's is always the same.
Goldy was in fine form in D
Karen
May 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
DOUBLE SHOT DIANE MOTT DAVIDSON
This is a story with one dead man, too many suspects with too many motives. That’s what happens when one person invokes anger in pretty much everyone he knows. Goldy is the first suspect as it was her gun but as the story unfolds we as readers find out there were loads of people gunning for him.
Mixed in with murder and mayhem was a lot of cooking. I gain ten pounds reading her books but I can’t resist. I found a who and why done it compelling as it keeps me on my t
Barb
Dec 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best-selling author Diane Mott Davidson is the diva of the culinary cozy, and here, she returns with everybody's favorite sleuth, Goldy. This time, Goldy's just arrived at her new catering center to prepare for a special luncheon when she's attacked and knocked unconscious. When Goldy comes to, she suspects her abusive ex-husband Korman was somehow involved—until later that day when he's found dead!
Keeps you on the edge of your seat. You won't know till the last minute who dunit. 5 stars.
Terry
Having read this, the twelveth in the Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery series, many years ago, I re-read it for my book club. At the end I remembered why I stopped reading the series with this one. Diane Mott Davidson seemed to run out of enthusiasm for her writing. Descriptions were unimaginative. The story seemed to move forward awkwardly just to get to the end. How many times can one person get knocked unconscious in one book?
Michelle
Mar 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was one of her best. In truth I was getting board with the series. How many bodies can one person discover. And the family dynamic with her ex as the constant pain in the ass was getting old to. But this book brought me back with avengance. It is even a great book for someone who has not read the series. Kudos to you Diane.
Karin
Jan 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
Very captivating cozy with humor involved. If you like cozies and recipes, I highly recommend.
Michelegg
Feb 04, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good Goldy mystery. Lots of yummy food and a good tale. I enjoyed this one.
Paula
Jul 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When her ex-husband was murdered the police suspected Goldy. Come to find out, lots of people did not like her ex!
Andie
Jul 17, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Picked up this series again because reading a quickie perks up my reading interest. This cozy mystery about Goldy the caterer was especially fun with The Jerk & the family drama! ...more
Jan
Dec 30, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice, easy read though I wasn't captivated by this book
Barb Peterson
Sep 10, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is really a best selling author? I am having a hard time with that. I listened to this as book on CD while driving. I had to keep turning it off to yell at it. The main character is not believable or even likable. There are many things that go against the grain of common sense. For example - if this caterer recently purchased the business property for her catering, why does she keep cooking at home & cart stuff to the business location? Why does she have such a disdain for any authority fig ...more
Jennifer Robb
Jan 23, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers of the series
Recommended to Jennifer by: BookPage
I've read several in the series but I'm not always sure I've read them in order. In fact, I thought they'd changed the series name to Goldy Schultz or just Goldy.

Double shot apparently refers to Goldy's consumption of coffee--despite the fact that she's trying to "cut down", it seems every time we turned around, she had a double shot of espresso that she was drinking.

This book was a little too soap-opera-ish for my taste. I can't quite figure out how John Richard Korman manages to have had rela
Denise
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Double Shot was published in 2004. Around that time frame I read a few of the books in this series and apparently drifted away as "shinier toys" in the form of new authors, etc. appeared around me. However, since I was facing a 12 hour drive/both directions this past weekend, I wanted something interesting and somewhat lightweight to listen to. Ms. Davidson and her Goldy Bear series was just the thing.

The story was intricate enough to hold our interest (while not lulling into a trance as some b
Peggy
Mar 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Goldy Shultz is a caterer outside Denver. She is married to a loving husband who is an investigator for the sherriff's department. Her best friend is Marla. What Goldy and Marla have in common is that they were both married to an abusive doctor. The ex-wives call him "The Jerk". Goldy has one son by the Jerk. In this story Goldy finds the Jerk shot dead in his garage when she takes her son to his house. She is the main suspect. With Marla's help Goldy delves into the Jerk's life and death. What ...more
Madison Mega-Mara...: This topic has been closed to new comments. #44 Double Shot 1 1 May 03, 2014 06:10PM

• Six Cloves Under (A Garlic Farm Mystery #1)
  • Eggs in Purgatory (Cackleberry Club, #1)
  • Rumors of Peace
  • French Pastry Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #21)
  • Two Tall Tails (A Magical Cats Mystery, #8.5; Second Chance Cat Mystery, #3.5)
  • Murder on a Bad Hair Day (Southern Sisters, #2)
  • Not the Killing Type (Booktown Mystery, #7)
  • Sealed Off (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #8)
  • Tail Gait (Mrs. Murphy, #24)
  • Butter Off Dead (A Food Lovers' Village Mystery, #3)
  • Billionaire Blend (Coffeehouse Mystery, #13)
  • When the Grits Hit the Fan (Country Store Mysteries #3)
  • Red Velvet Cupcake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #16)
  • Saving Sarah (The Women of Willow Bay, #4)
  • Grilled for Murder (Country Store Mysteries #2)
  • Nacho Average Murder (Country Store Mysteries #7)
  • Too Many Crooks Spoil the Broth (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #1)
  • Death Over Easy (Country Store Mysteries #5)
New York Times bestselling author Diane Mott Davidson wrote three novels before one was accepted for publication—when she was 41. She has since written 14 more mysteries, all featuring Goldy the caterer. In addition, she has written short stories and poetry for various publications. Davidson has won the Anthony Award from Bouchercon, and has been nominated for the Agatha, another Anthony, and the ...more

A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Catering to Nobody (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #1)
  • Dying for Chocolate (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #2)
  • The Cereal Murders (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #3)
  • The Last Suppers (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #4)
  • Killer Pancake (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #5)
  • The Main Corpse (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #6)
  • The Grilling Season (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #7)
  • Prime Cut (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #8)
  • Tough Cookie (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #9)
  • Sticks & Scones (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #10)