Start by marking “Hitting Budapest” as Want to Read:
Hitting Budapest

Hitting Budapest

Short story published in the Boston Review Nov/Dec 2010. Won The Caine Prize for African Writing in 2011.
Published November 2010

To ask other readers questions about Hitting Budapest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hitting Budapest

Nicole
Nov 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-read-harder
I was searching through my to read list to find a book shorter than 100 pages for one of my reading challenges when I realized that I had this short story on there. It's very short - about five pages - but tells a lot. I've been wanting to read this author since I came across her other work entitled "We Need New Names," which was adopted by the SF Public Library as a city read (I haven't gotten to it yet, but plan to!). This story gave me mixed feelings - a reality check of how "good" I have it ...more
Kudzai Mhangwa
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
The story was heartbreaking and powerful! The way she captures the hopelessness of the lives of he characters is so effective. You go through this day in their life with them. Bulawayo is a great writer I recommend this to anybody who wants a taste of how some people go about their lives in a way that isn't glamorous.
Justine
Mar 02, 2016 rated it it was ok

Huh? That's it?
Behizain
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Aurkitu berri dudan Xerezaderen Artxiboa izeneko podcastean entzun dut. Zimbabweko herri txiro bateko haur batzuk Budapest izeneko aberatsen herrira doaz guaiabak lapurtzera. Txango honetan zehar beraien bizimodua eta pentsakera ikus dezakegu.
Dr Sharon
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Extremely interesting read. Use of children’s perspectives on incest, poverty, and hunger add dimension to reality of life in Zimbabwe.
Moushumi Ghosh
Dec 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A searing short story set in the poorer parts of Zimbabwe ironically called Paradise. Six kids - Darling, Chipo, Sbho, Godknows, Bastard and Stina find creative ways to fill their belly. They hit Budapest, the rich neighbourhood where food so plenty that no one picks off the guavas from the trees. Hitting Budapest is the story of one such expedition. Striking language and way the author narrates everyday cruelties make this short story remarkable.
Musika Emmanuel
Nov 16, 2018
Natasha Story
Sep 05, 2018
Rodosantos
rated it did not like it
Sep 22, 2017
Beth
Jan 14, 2018
Greg
Apr 21, 2018
Great African Reads: Hitting Budapest by NoViolet Bulawayo (16-30th Sept) 5 7 Sep 28, 2018 09:38AM
NoViolet Bulawayo (pen name of Elizabeth Tshele) is a Zimbabwean author, and Stegner Fellow at Stanford University (2012–2014).
Bulawayo won the 2011 Caine Prize for African Writing for her short story "Hitting Budapest," about a gang of street children in a Zimbabwean shantytown.
Her first novel We Need New Names (2013) was shortlisted for the Man Booker Prize, making her the first African female w