Start by marking “Forged in Fire (The Vessel Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Forged in Fire (The Vessel Trilogy, #1)

Forged in Fire (The Vessel Trilogy #1)

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  957 Ratings  ·  92 Reviews
She never knew this demon world existed. Now she just wants to survive it.

Genevieve Drake never needed a man to come to her rescue. Not until the night of her twentieth birthday, when some dude nearly chokes her to death in an alley behind a New Orleans Goth club. And a hot stranger splits the guy in half, rips a monster from inside, and incinerates it into ash.

The hunky r
Published January 27th 2015 by Samhain Publishing

Carol [Goodreads Addict]
 photo 10342402_794618810603165_5186797449497541112_n_zpsaabc5187.jpg

Forged in Fire is book #1 in The Vessel Trilogy by Juliette Cross. If you follow me on Goodreads you may have noticed my gushing over both Soulfire and Windburn of the Nightwing series by Juliette. So of course I was ecstatic to get started on her new series. But I was not prepared to be bowled over yet again by this author’s ability to plunge me into a completely new world and to get completely submerged in it. To fall in love with the characters so completely. This book is different, for me a
Melissa Martin
Oct 29, 2015 Melissa Martin rated it really liked it

Genevieve (Gen) Drake is a really cool, snarky character that I liked right off the bat. She is funny, she works for her dad at his Karate dojo and she's a Vessel... a what? Yeah, seems like when you turn a certain age you might just be a Vessel. They tend to have certain gifts but I changed my mind on telling you what they are, you will just have to read the book! :) Anyway, I love her snark in the book.

Carol giggled. I wanted to slap the blonde right of
Naomi
Aug 14, 2015 Naomi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
First Read: February 2015
Re-reading now to follow on to books 2 & 3 :)

I absolutely adored Forged in Fire!!!! Juliette Cross has created such original worlds with characters that have captivated me :) I love Gen's strength and stubbornness and the depth of Jude's love for Gen leaves me breathless... Simply just cannot wait until Book #2. Have pre-ordered Sealed in Sin :) so now to counting down the days!
Sylvia
Why in the world did it take me so long to read this book?!
Time and time again I stumbled across Forged in Fire through the GoodReads feed with members rating it highly and I'm always thinking, 'this would be a great paranormal romance to get stuck into.' But, alas, I never did until now. And boy, am I glad I did. This book was everything I ever wanted from a PNR and more. It was dark, and juicy, and edgy, and sexy and sensual.

Forged in Fire is definitely a unique spin on demons and bad-ass hu
Iris (Paranormal Cravings Book Reviews)
Great start for a first book of this new Trilogy. I really loved Genevieve’s strength and Jude. There is so much more to learn about this world and luckily book 2 is already published and book 3 that will be released this July in my mailbox.

For my first book of Juliette Cross I have to say they are highly addicted. And I really have to check out the other books she has written. As soon as we finish this mazing trilogy of course.

So I encourage you to try any one of her books. You won’t regret it
Melliane
Jan 03, 2015 Melliane rated it really liked it
3.5/5

Mon avis en Français

My English review

I am always intrigued about novel with demons and this one looked really interesting with such a synopsis. Also, I did not know about the author and it seemed perfect to discover her. In the end, even if the idea is not very original for the story, and that I’ve already read another one in the same style, I spent a great time with everything and I am very curious to discover the second volume now.

Genevieve has always been a girl like the others although
Beth
Aug 31, 2014 Beth rated it it was amazing
Thrust into a world of good and evil, Genevieve Drake was ill – prepared to face the creatures that will be hunting her...Demons. Little did Genevieve know she was going to become a vessel. Now she must do all she can to choose light over darkest, when the road to the light is much harder and has never been successful before. Oh, of course some have chosen light, but it always leads to their death.

Help comes in one very hot package, but Genevieve isn't sure she can trust it when he is shrouded i
Rachel
Yes it was just as awesome as expected. Bought this on a whim for $1.99 and love it. I freakin love new adult fantasy when it is done right and this is it. There are no explicit scenes just some steamy makeup sessions and a few creepy encounters with the villain. The story was completely captivating and I totally caved and already bought the next book... My tbr shelf just keeps growing larger and larger.

Before Reading: OMG this sounds awesome!
Rosanna Leo
Jan 24, 2016 Rosanna Leo rated it it was amazing
This book ticked so many of my paranormal romance boxes. Hunky hero, fun heroine, delicious villains (yes, I sort of loved Dante, as much as I shouldn't) and a fast-paced story. Throw in some wonderful biblical imagery and a nod to famous artwork and this reader is a happy camper. This was my first book from Ms. Cross but will certainly not be the last. Very enjoyable. I look forward to the rest of the series.
Wanderlust
An almost insta love which I never grew to understand, an annoying protagonist who I never liked, a stupid & too easy ending and it seems YA to me though I think its meant to be new adult or adult paranormal = not winning ingredients for a good book.
I recommend that you give it a miss.
*~*Lauren from Saints & Sinners Books*~*
Genevieve Drake has been thrust into the world of darkness and light. Genevieve has always been a self resilient and all around badass chick. That is until the fates aligned her with a sinister plot to kill her while celebrating her 20th birthday. She’s saved by a sexy as sin stranger. This particular stranger just happens to be Jude Delacroix. Jude isn’t your typically innocent bystander turned savior, he’s a Master of Demons who’s set on protecting her. She’s become the target of a demon princ ...more
Stacy
Apr 04, 2015 Stacy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, requested
I have found that you can't go wrong with anything from Juliette Cross. I have enjoyed her characters, her writing and the great worlds that she has created for her stories.

I really liked Gen. She had a great personality, is easy to like and really stepped into her new life. Jude is a bad boy and very protective of his new charge. You can definitely feel the romantic connection between the two.

The secondary characters are just as important to the story. There is a great pace set from beginning
Juliette Cross
Jan 16, 2015 Juliette Cross added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Greetings, paranormal readers. What can I say about Gen and Jude? Other than the fact they are both near and dear to my heart, I have a wish or two for you when all is said and done.

While filled with sinister demons, otherworldly creatures, and one too many trips to the underworld throughout the trilogy, I hope this story resonates with you on the most human level. One where redemption is possible, where forgiveness is given with an open heart, and where love--true and unconditional love--can a
Rhenna Morgan
Jun 28, 2015 Rhenna Morgan rated it it was amazing
I have a new favorite author!!! I can't tell you how giddy I was to stumble on to this lovely book and can hardly freakin' wait to get my hands on the next in the series. The heroine is younger than I normally read, but the way she was written I truly didn't care. The hero is oh-my-freakin'-God hot, and the angst/struggle the two of them have to face together is just perfect. It's going to be an on-going story between the same couple for 3 books, so obviously everything isn't sweetly tied up in ...more
Julie Reece
Apr 27, 2016 Julie Reece rated it it was amazing
Wow and double wow. The writing is romantic and picturesque with a romance that leaves you begging for more. Loved this, so glad there's more to come!
All Things Urban Fantasy
Mar 03, 2015 All Things Urban Fantasy rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed-by-kate
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy.

FORGED IN FIRE sounded intriguing from the first time I heard of it, so I was delighted to be able to review it here for All Things Urban Fantasy. Unexpectedly, FORGED IN FIRE felt similar to other books I've read, with a girl coming into special powers that make her completely unique, and all the men subsequently want her. Luckily, the New Adult tone and the mythology manage to set the story apart from other similar stories.

Though hot, FORGED IN FIRE
Cherie
Feb 16, 2015 Cherie rated it it was amazing
WOW!!!! Just finished reading this amazing book!!! I see many more great stories to come. Juliette creates a world that blends in seamlessly with the great city of New Orleans. The details let you know the author has spent much time there herself. The many references - cultural, pop, contemporary, historical, mythological all blend perfectly just like a perfect pot of gumbo. The heroine, Genevieve is sassy and smart and I am pleased to say not a woman who waits around for a man to save her. Jude ...more
Heather andrews
Dec 11, 2014 Heather andrews rated it it was amazing
Jude is the type of man who seems to always have an answer to Genevieve, "oh, Genevieve," he rumbled, making something tighten low and deep. "I never mistook you for anything but a woman." As the book starts to grow so does Genevieve's lady balls and this really amused me:
"Genevieve, what are you doing?"
"Exploring." My hand flattened across a pectoral. Did he just growl?
Obviously I enjoyed many scenes where Genevieve would rile Jude but my favorite had to towards the end of the book:
"I thoug
Cheryl La Pa
Feb 06, 2016 Cheryl La Pa rated it really liked it
Shelves: demons, 2016-feb
Loved it! I was lured into Genevieve's world where she has to balance trying to live a normal life while dealing with demons and demon hunters. And Jude is smoking hot! I'm so ready to dive into Book 2.
Colliding Worlds
Oct 28, 2015 Colliding Worlds rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015, owned, ebook
Von Forged in Fire hatte ich mir etwas ganz anderes erwartet, als das, was ich bekommen habe. Daher war ich überrascht - glüchlicherweise positiv. Cross hat eine sehr interessante Urban Fantasy-Welt erdacht, die mich überzeugt hat.

Worldbuilding
Im New Orleans dieser Welt begegnet der Leser Flamma - übernatürlichen Wesen, die entweder zu den Guten oder zu den Bösen gehören. Die einen sind Engel und Dämonenjäger, die anderen Dämonen. Und sie kämpfen seit Anbeginn der Zeit gegeneinander.
An ihrem 20.
Jessica Frances
May 30, 2015 Jessica Frances rated it it was amazing
Forged In Fire was a refreshing take on the world of paranormal. I really loved Gen’s voice and how quickly she was able to take everything in that was being thrown at her. On her twentieth birthday she is told she is a vessel and demons are now either trying to kidnap her or kill her. This story holds an unbelievable amount of tense action scenes. My heart was racing when Gen was being held by Dante. I loved the fallout scene from that moment between her and Jude. It was a real turning point fo ...more
Sophie Morgan
Apr 30, 2015 Sophie Morgan rated it it was amazing
How much did I love this book? Let me count the ways.

It begins with the characters. Gen is awesome, a spunky, completely sympathetic character who falls into a world she didn't know existed. Her witticisms made me constantly chuckle, her vulnerability made my heart clutch. And she is a perfect match for the hero of the story, the gorgeous, fierce, ever-so-delectable Jude. *sighs* The man's got more sides than a Rubik's cube, and all are equally heartbreaking. Both characters are very real in the
ChattyKat
Jan 26, 2015 ChattyKat rated it really liked it
The star of this book was definitely Jude... dark, mysterious, powerful, attractive... a really great character. In fact, all of the male characters in this book were very intriguing... in particular the demon Dante. All of the scenes between him and Gen were edgy and had me glued to the pages.
On Gen's twentieth birthday she is awakened and quickly realizes that she is now being hunted by demons to claim her as a vessel. Jude is a demon hunter and her protector... he hopes to teach her to prote
Karinosa
Sep 04, 2014 Karinosa rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. Never read from this author. I liked the characters. Jude is wicked crazy hot!!! I like Geniveve. She has some powers that she did not know about. Turning 20 is the pinnacle of this power. I enjoyed these characters and was invested through the whole read. It did not drag. This author keeps you connected with these characters and you feel the heat come off these pages and right into your lap! The spark that Geneveve and Jude have is crazy!! I wanted them to do it!! And ...more
Tia
Jan 28, 2015 Tia rated it it was amazing
Wow!

I was in shock and awe as I read this novel and must admit, it's my new favorite. I love the idea of heaven and hell and all that's in between even though, I'm not a believer myself. This novel takes you on an adventure of good and evil, that you just can't put down.

Can't wait until the second one, which should make an appearance some time in April, 2015.
Naturalbri (Bri Wignall)
Feb 09, 2015 Naturalbri (Bri Wignall) rated it it was amazing
What I Thought:

I loved every moment of this book. It had steam, passion, excitement and a very believable set of emotions pouring out of each of the characters.

I found the take on heaven, hell demons and ht like to be a new look at the topic. It was refreshing, fun and very easy to become highly addicted to reading about! The settings were given an excellent amount of description. I also loved that Cross did not give away all the details about the world, the places of the different levels/types
 CCAM&GZM
Feb 04, 2015 CCAM&GZM rated it really liked it
And the raven, never flitting, still is sitting, still is sitting…and his eyes have all the seeming of a demon’s that is dreaming. (E.A.P)

The line of a well known character, "Same story different versions, but all are true" fits very well this book, with the mention that the "true" should be replaced by delightful. In Forged in Fire, the eternal struggle between good and evil receives new troops and new deployment plans.

I really liked how the author has entwined the elements of universal mytholo
Heidi
Aug 24, 2015 Heidi rated it it was amazing
There is so much to love about this book. Gen Drake is just a normal girl, trying to get by in school, and in life. On her 20th birthday, her world spirals into a place she never suspected could exist. She meets the enigmatic Jude Delacroix and discovers she might be the salvation of the world. Not a great spot to be if you are only 20. She goes from barely believing in any thing to being convinced evil does exist side-by-side with good. And oh, boy - there are rules. Her time is consumed with n ...more
Danielle (Danniegurl)
This book was interesting. It was a different take on things and I found myself swooning and being emotionally engaged in this story. The demons in this story appear bad, so that was a bit disappointing because I sort of wanted a demon positive story, but that's ok it was still a crazy ride.
Ahana .M. Rao
Feb 03, 2015 Ahana .M. Rao rated it really liked it
Oooooh. I'm so glad I found this book! 4.5 stars.
I read the second book's blurb...and frankly I'm a little scared because love triangles are not my thing but I'm willing to give Sealed in Sin a chance. BECAUSE THIS BOOK WAS GOOD.
  • The Last Guardian Rises (The Last Keeper's Daughter, #2)
  • Lady Of The Knight (Knights, #3;  The Brocade #4)
  • Blood Moons (Blood and Shadows, #1)
  • Trancing the Tiger (Chinese Zodiac Romance, #1)
  • Ambrosia (Nectar #2)
  • Gargoyle Addiction (Otherworlds Summons, #1)
  • Explicit Detail (Explicit, #2)
  • Equal Parts (Supernova, #1)
  • Buy Me 2 (Mistress Auctions, #2)
  • Echo in Time (Echo Trilogy, #1)
  • To the Princess Bound (Terms of Mercy, #1)
  • Blood of the Sorcerer  (The Kingdom Chronicles #2)
  • Fighting
  • Edged Blade (Colbana Files, #4)
  • Eternal Darkness (The Amagarians, #1)
  • Burn (Dark in You #1)
  • When Silver Moons Rise (Lost Immortals, #2)
  • Bittersweet Blood (The Order, #1)
JULIETTE is a multi-published author of paranormal and urban fantasy romance. She calls lush, moss-laden Louisiana, home where the landscape curls into her imagination, creating mystical settings for her stories. From the moment she read JANE EYRE as a teenager, she fell in love with the Gothic romance--brooding characters, mysterious settings, persevering heroines, and dark, sexy heroes. Even the ...more
More about Juliette Cross...

The Vessel Trilogy (3 books)
  • Sealed in Sin (The Vessel Trilogy, #2)
  • Bound in Black (The Vessel Trilogy, #3)

“A man,” he said, deep voice like velvet, warm breath caressing my cheek, “knows when to take action and when to be still, knows his strengths and his weaknesses, knows control when it is necessary and release when it is essential. And a man”—his voice had dropped deep, throaty, close to my ear—“knows when a woman wants him and how to please her.” 3 likes
“I want you in my arms. I want you in my bed. I want to bury myself deep inside you and feel you shatter beneath me, again and again. I want you daily, nightly, repeatedly, constantly, forever. And when I know it’s safe to take you, you’d best be ready. If you’re not, you’d better run and hide, because it will take a legion of angels and demons to keep me off of you.” 3 likes