Start by marking “Dory Story” as Want to Read:

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  95 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Be prepared for a few surprises when Danny ventures out into the bay in his dory.

Although taking the dory out solo is strictly forbidden, Danny cannot resist the calm waters of the bay. And that's where the adventure begins. He thinks rowing into a school of bluefish is trouble enough, but wait until the whales enter the picture. Danny encounters one sea creature after ano
Published February 1st 2000 by Charlesbridge

To ask other readers questions about Dory Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dory Story

Julia
Apr 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: jerry-pallotta
Although I am a fan of this particular author I would have to say that this book is a bit on the borderline for me. Having steered away from his alphabet books, Jerry Pallotta has given his readers a new type of read that is still educational while capturing the spirit of nature but with a lot more imagination than is normally found within his normal genre.

What I liked about the actual book is the fact that the boy is a learner who has been encouraged by the adults in his life to be curious an
Marcia
An imaginative story of the oceans and the food chain.
Steph
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Imagination galore! Beautiful artwork, too. =)
Dory
Nov 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Nerdy Kids
Shelves: kids, 3-stars
So, I was looking for books to put on hold on my libraries website. And everyone has that moment when they google their name. I've googled Dory a million times. Especially for Finding Dory (pity its not until June 2016)

So, I searched Dory on my libraries site.

And there it was.

IT EVEN RHYMES. x]

Anywho~ the book is a childrens book, really short, about this story of a kid who is on a boat, in great risk, and he sees the food chain before his eyes. What eats what. Eventually it gets to s
NebraskaIcebergs
Nov 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Dory Story is a fictional tale about Danny, who can’t resist going out in a boat alone to search for bay creatures, despite warnings from his parents about being just a kid and therefore too young. Pallotta perfectly captures the innocent curiosity of young people that drives them to explore the bigger world around them. Each discovery leads his main character to desire to learn more, from his reading about plankton to his seeing seabirds and shrimp. As Danny rows further out, readers are educat ...more
Nov 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
After hearing Dave Biedrzyicki, illustrator of this book, speak at a School Library Media conference I purchased and read the book. All of the illustrations are done in PhotoShop rather than drawn or painted by hand. Each page took about 7 days for him to complete. He demonstrated the shading and drawing techniques he employs. I was fascinated!

The story describes a young boys' observation of an ocean food chain. A twist ending is thrown on the last page of the book. Parents would enjoy reading t
Eugenie
Oct 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edu-511
Watertown, MA, Charlesbridge Publishing, 2004
This picture book tells of a boy in a dory as he encounters many forms of sealife. This life is presented in progression as a food chain starting with plankton and ending with a killer whale. The illustrations are bold and colorful. The ending is a surprise because the entire story is created by a boy daydreaming in the bathtub with a toy dory! I would use this as a read-aloud in my instruction; to show about sealife and the food chain, and make belie
Hope
Nov 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The book, Dory Story inspired me, because I found many opportunities to engage five and six-year olds with rich learning experiences. The predictions this book offers will encourage children to ask questions, think about the facts, and draw conclusions, thus encouraging children to think about what they are reading. (The book conatins many sights words from levels one and two.)
The author's intent to create a well-researched book containing adventrure, imagination, and humor are evident as one re
Noel Echols
A little boy tells an imaginative story of riding his Dory boat in the ocean and encountering all types of ocean animals. You do not until the end of the story that the story is just a tale.

Great pictures and unknown ocean animals make this story great for a visualization exercise

A sequence of animals eating and a food chain is mentioned & then the boy mentions that the food chain is more like a food wed: 4th grade science life science

Lauren Sharp
Picture Book 24
Danny goes out on his boat Dory and learns the secrets of the food web. He sees plankton, blue fish, tuna, killer whales, and a humpback whale. The whale knocks over his boat and he has to swim to a rock in the water. In the end Danny is just in the bath tub and his mom tells him he should write a book on his crazy stories.
Michelle
Aug 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
In this story, a young boy tells a tale off going out into the sea by himself and seeing all sorts of fish and animals. The pictures were...strange, I think. The story was pretty cute, but I just couldn't really get into it. The writing seemed a bit choppy and I felt no flow at all from one page to another. The idea was good but the execution was lacking.
Mrs. Brandt
This informative, imaginative and 'a little scary' story is a perfect companion for the Grade 2 OCEANS Unit. Our copy is autographed by the author, Jerry Pallotta, who lives in MA and visited MacArthur a few years ago (sadly, it was before I was here!).
jacky
Aug 10, 2010 rated it it was ok
To be honest, I didn't hear all of this one since Natalie bumped her head and we had to step out of story time. But, from what I did hear, I just wasn't that into it. It was too much mentioning lots of info rather than a plot.
Gwnhwyfer
Apr 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-book
A neat way of introducing the ocean and it's creatures to kids, but I'm personally not a fan of the artwork (it's gorgeous; I'm just not into the "realistic" style) and it tends towards a little scary for a younger audience.
Wendy Jones
This is a cute story about a little boy that goes on a boat and wants to see plankton. What he discovers is a multitude of animals and observes their eating behaviors. This is a wonderful story to use with fourth grade students when teaching food chains/ food webs.
Paula
Jul 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pic
Great book for introducing children to the chain of life in the sea and an awesome ending!
Ellen Brandt
Oct 12, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: gr_2_readaloud
Ties into Ocean Unit - Food Chain.
Renee' Williams
May 09, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book is easy to read but subject matter is better suited for an older child (10 maybe).
Crissy
Feb 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Cute, unexpected ending in this book. Food chain reference.
SBPL Storytime
Exciting story with lots of pictures. Great ending.
Robin
May 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a great tall tale and so beautifully illustrated with rich, vibrant colors!
Nov 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
excellent illustrations!
Valerie
Jul 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime-td-ps
great for school-age to introduce food chain/web or sea life. Can also be used with preschoolers - they really like the ending!
Eileen
Kaubisch Memorial
Nov 19, 2014
Lynn
Feb 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
I love fun endings like this one!
Julie
Jul 10, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
My full name is Gerard Larry Pallotta but my mom always called me "Jerry". I was born on March 26, 1953 in Boston, Massachusetts. My mom's name is Mary, and she came from a family of ten children. My dad's name is Joe, and he came from a family of five children. My grandparents were immigrants of Italian descent. I have the nicest parents in the world. They have always been unselfish and ready to ...more
More about Jerry Pallotta...