Start by marking “La última noche en Tremore Beach” as Want to Read:
La última noche en Tremore Beach

La última noche en Tremore Beach

What starts out as an idyllic summer holiday on the Irish coast soon becomes a living nightmare with unpredictable consequences for a world-renowned composer and his family in this chilling psychological thriller.

Recently divorced and in the middle of a creative crisis, Peter Harper decides to take shelter on Ireland’s scenic and isolated Tremore Beach. But after he is str
Published June 4th 2014 by Ediciones B (first published 2014)

Chelsea Humphrey
Feb 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: from-publisher
This was a highly entertaining read, full of twists and turns of the natural and supernatural alike. I wavered on whether I'd read this initially as it sounded like many other thrillers I've read in recent years, but the paranormal aspect, along with book bestie Laura recommending it due to "it's likeness to early Stephen King fiction" caused me to pick it up and I'm really glad I did. I've come to realize that I like knowing beforehand if a book is going to contain elements of the paranormal, a ...more
Julie
The Last Night at Tremore Beach by Mikel Santiago is a 2017 Atria publication.

An excerpt from my review posted on Night Owl Reviews:

Still, this is a fun, fast paced thriller, entertaining enough and worth taking a look at, especially since this is a debut novel and shows the author’s potential, which I would say is very promising. 3.5 stars

To read my entire review, click on this link:

Laura Rash
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I literally could not read this book fast enough! I'm going to give it the highest book praise in my mind by saying it reminded me of an early Stephen King novel. The grit, the odd quirks, the story line that made you squirm in your seat with slight discomfort, all leading to an end that left you completely breathless & satisfied. I can't say enough good things about it!

Thanks so much to Atria for this early copy in exchange for review.
Pamela
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is part thriller, part mystery with a touch of paranormal. Mr. Santiago does a terrific job on the descriptions of the storms, I really felt the atmosphere on the beach with the lightening striking.
Peter's fear and his nightmares after his accident are also well done.

I liked Peter and many of the characters. The climactic moment was intense and although the story needed to be "wrapped up", the last few pages seemed a bit of a let down. Overall, a pretty darn good read, and a fast page-turne
Rachel
I received a copy of this book from netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

The Last Night at Tremore Beach toes the line between thriller and horror as we follow the story of Peter Harper, renowned composer who's spending a few months on a secluded Irish beach following a messy divorce. One night he goes out to a dinner party during a storm, and on the way back he gets out of his car to move a tree that's fallen in the road, and gets struck by lightning. The story that follows is part myster
John
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Drained of inspiration and indeed almost the will to live by the desertion of his wife, popular composer Pete Harper ends up abandoning the bright lights for the remoteness of a Donegal beach, miles from a small town/village that is itself miles from anywhere. There, with the company of only the crashing waves and the elderly couple, Leo and Marie, who live two miles down the shore, he hopes he can restore his inner self and write that masterpiece.

But, of course, inspiration fails to strike.

What
Andy Weston
This is a predictable yet readable psychological thriller set on the wild Irish coast of Donegal about a musician of some renown who has rented an isolated cottage to write and relax for a summer.

It must be rare for a translated novel from a Spanish author with an Irish setting to be available in the UK, and the book seems to be getting some good publicity. Certainly I fell for it, I thought it might be something a bit different. That it wasn't.
Gordon Mcghie
Musician Peter Harper is living in rural seclusion on the Irish coast. His life has been in turmoil and his confidence is shot – a world renowned composer he now cannot capture a simple tune and he is seeking solitude to try and rediscover his love of music.

Harper is renting a cottage on Tremore Beach, he is becoming a known face around the nearby village and his only neighbours (an American couple who have also sought a peaceful life) have tried to make him feel welcome and are keeping an almos
Paul
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Last Night at Tremore Beach – A Fantastic Debut

Mikel Santiago has written a fantastic debut and The Last Night at Tremore Beach, is a thriller, that breaks exciting ground and moves away from usual thrillers. You will feel the fear of the major character as you follow him on his personal journey of hell, while there is plenty of personal guilt to go around it is as if the parish priest has sprinkled holy water all over the place.

Peter Harper is a gifted, Bafta winning musician whose personal
Fran
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story sneaks up on you and won’t let go. I don’t do spoilers, so I can only say that there are creepy, ominous elements to this thriller that keep the reader turning pages as quickly as possible.
Christine (Shh Moms Reading)
giveaway happening NOW until 2/17 at Shh Moms Reading
Jules
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mikel Santiago deserves high praise for his debut Novel The Last Night at Tremore Beach. Set on the coast of Ireland, Santiago masterfully puts the reader in his exact location with exquisite description of both the charm and challenge of coastal seclusion. Characters are well developed with a level of intimacy that surely must develop between two neighboring households on a secluded stretch of beach. We live this growing friendship between our hero, musician/composer Peter Harper, and his retir ...more
Emily
Apr 06, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: x2017
Ehhhh. No.

I tried very hard to like this, and there were good elements, but overall it's a mess of awkward writing (which, to be fair, could be a translation issue), immature plotting and general literary laziness.
Abigail Marsh
Mar 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good Read

Kept me up till 3am to finish reading excellent story
Not quite what I expected ,not quite Stephen King ,but will be looking out for future books from this Author
Jess
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Wow, I can't believe I pushed through until the end...
Goodreads 2018: 15/100
Free Choice 2018: 1/36
Jen
May 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book moved SO slowly. It was an interesting premise but I felt it fell flat on execution and it dragged on and on forever. The last few chapters were good but the rest..so much to slog through to get to the end where things started happening.
Margaret
Dec 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very nice book! Heroes easy to like and care for them, a touch of supernatural , and in the end a crime thriller! Recommended for an easy interesting read!
Amber
Mar 19, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
1.5 stars. This was quite disappointing to me. The premise was interesting for a little while, but by the time the climax came it was boring and the ending letter 'telling' everything we as readers missed was just the last nail in the coffin.

This had huge issues with believability. Perhaps it was the characters reactions to what was happening, maybe it was the translation, maybe it was the way his 13 year old and 8 year old were definitely written a lot younger than their ages were given. An 8-
Anne, Unfinished Woman
Fair warning, this is a bloody story. It is also a page turning, well paced story providing a continual sense of foreboding. ( At times I was wary of it becoming a horror genre fit.) Peter's "dreams" set the stage and move the plot toward its violent end. Santiago also kept me guessing about the role of the Kogans. While I liked the book and it kept my attention, I was not totally compelled by the characters. Perhaps it is in the translation, but I was not completely pulled into the tension, nor ...more
Jenn
Peter Harper is a world-renowned composer. He's taking some time to clear the cobwebs after a recent divorce and dry spell in creativity and he's spending the summer on the Irish coast. Tremore Beach is beautiful and isolated. His neighbours are good people. He's involved with a wonderful woman. And his kids are coming to visit. But after he's struck by lightning one stormy night, Peter starts getting wicked headaches and having strange dreams; dreams that are so real Peter doesn't know where th ...more
Melissa
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am having a hard time knowing what bookshelves to put this on. It felt like a thriller, but the little lulls found in short chapters between the nightmares could be a little boring. Luckily, they were short. It is a realistic fiction with a fantasy element added, or is it really more of a medical physiological undertone? Either way I had a hard time putting this down. I stayed up later than I should have to finish it and enjoyed most of what I read.

I couldn't figure out until the very end if
Van Reese
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The language and sexual innuendo turned me off at first, but it ended up being a very minor part of the story. I think this would be classified as psychological thiller. I was a little bit nervous since I read a previous book of this genre that was on the best seller list for weeks, maybe years, but I hated it. Unlike that book, this one actually has likeable characters. The only real weakness, I felt, was that the children's behaviours in the story were portrayed as much younger than their give ...more
Roger Scherping
This is a very readable book, and I found the characters and the setting interesting. It was a very slow developing book, though, and there were two significant plot holes. If Pete's premonition caused Leo to carry a gun, then wouldn't Leo have returned the favor to Pete and told him enough about his background to warn Pete? Also, when Pete saw the four gangsters in the restaurant and knew what was going to happen, why didn't he just disrupt their plans? He could have slashed their tires, or eve ...more
Ivana
Jun 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
I wasn't sure if to give this three of four stars, but I've decided to stick with three. It wasn't a bad read, it was quite an original idea and story, but ... I have to be honest and say my expectations were much higher for this one, there were parts that I just didn't find all that interesting and I didn't really get myself "involved" with the story.

But some might really, really like it, maybe it just wasn't exactly my cup of tea.
Janelle
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book on a whim from the library and I am glad I did! It took me a bit to get into Santiago's style and realize that I was reading a story that was more Stephen King than a traditional thriller. I have always found premonitions fascinating and this story made them wonderfully atmospheric.The fact that this takes place in Ireland was an added bonus!
Kris Irvin
Jan 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
I don't know how to feel about this one. On the one hand, it was okay. The story was interesting enough once I got into it. But it wasn't all that memorable, and I have a feeling that when I look back on reads from this year I'm going to look at this one and go "huh... I have no memory of this book."
Jaycee Limutau
I’d probably give this book a 3.5 if I was allowed. I actually really enjoyed it. The story was interesting and thrilling. Some language and the bad guys at the end had potty mouths. Adult content but not raunchy at all. I liked the writing style and am impressed it’s the authors first novel. A definite thriller!
Bobby
Jul 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
More of a 3.5 but Peter's survival and functioning with so many injuries, as well as his clumsiness in his haste, became a bit unbelievable. An exciting read overall and the explanation by way if letter was satisfying. I'm probably being a bit harsh and most readers will find this a fun, frolicking tale.
Paulaleva
This is a good debut album bringing some interesting characters together for a mystery that combines secret pasts, a lightening strike, and premonition that seems to be a family gift. The storyline kept me riveted but it was predictable.
Olgalijo
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
The story in itself definitely appeals to someone from a culture where the power of the unseen is not to be discarded. On the other side, I read it in the original Spanish, and the very informal register that the author was using didn't mesh well with how things would be expressed in English.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Un hotel en ninguna parte
  • Sarna con gusto (Refranes, canciones y rastros de sangre, #1)
  • Mi querido asesino en serie (Petra Delicado, #11)
  • The Homeplace: A Mystery
  • Bijeg: Povijest jednog našeg čovjeka
  • Der Schneegänger (Sanela Beara, #2)
  • Take A Look At Me Now
  • Die Betrogene
  • A Cor da Paixão
  • Montana (Lola Wicks, #1)
  • Dvorska kamarila
  • The Shot
  • Padeira de Aljubarrota
  • Puerto escondido (Oliver Gordon, #1)
  • Chocolate Girls (Chocolate Girls #1)
  • Martyrium  (Valentina Negro y Javier Sanjuán, #2)
Mikel Santiago nació en Portugalete (Vizcaya) en 1975. Consagró su juventud a tocar en bandas de rock y más tarde comenzó publicando relatos y novelas cortas por internet, con las que consiguió llegar a la lista de Best-Sellers en España y Estados Unidos. Su primera novela “La Última Noche En Tremore Beach” fue un éxito rotundo de crítica y publico. Ha vivido en Irlanda y Paises Bajos durante casi ...more
“Uno tiene muchos sueños, pero el tiempo pasa y te haces viejo, y los sueños se convierten en porcelanas a las que miras y quitas el polvo y nada más.” 1 likes
“Hacía años que mis labios no habían pronunciado una oración. Hacía años que no me acordaba de Dios, pero en aquel momento fue todo lo que se me ocurrió. Pedirle perdón por haberme olvidado de Él y pedirle un favor especial: que me diera tiempo, solo un poco más de tiempo para llegar junto a mis hijos.” 1 likes