Start by marking “The Third Wife” as Want to Read:
The Third Wife

The Third Wife

3.61  ·  Rating details ·  5,898 Ratings  ·  691 Reviews
In the early hours of an April morning, Maya stumbles into the path of an oncoming bus.
A tragic accident? Or suicide? Her grief-stricken husband, Adrian, is determined to find out.

Maya had a job she enjoyed; she had friends. They'd been in love. She even got on with his two previous wives and their children. In fact, they'd all been one big happy family.

But before long Adr
Published July 3rd 2014 by Century

To ask other readers questions about The Third Wife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Third Wife

Esil
Jun 21, 2015 rated it liked it
I think I had a similar reaction to The Third Wife as other Goodreads reviewers – I got hooked by the story but didn’t love the characters. Adrian has had three wives. He had two children with Suzie and then left her for Caroline. He then had three children with Caroline and left her for Maya. And then Adrian, the three wives and their children seemingly got along and even went on holidays together. But one day -- as the book begins --Maya stepped in front of a bus and died. And then the book is ...more
Suzanne
May 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-penrith
3.5 stars. A very believable contemporary story where we see a grown man eventually come of age, via a detour of a marriage or two. This is the first book I have read of this author, and stumbled across it on the library shelf whilst looking for The House We Grew Up In.

It was nice reading about the suburbs around London, and while we read about our protagonist, Adrian, I couldn't help but think how lucky he was two have two very nice ex wives, without a trace of vindictiveness, but as I mentione
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: 'I think you'll find you're the one with the problem.' Then the person, yes, a woman, in red shoes, tutted again and walked away, her heels issuing a mocking clack-clack as she went.

Maya watched her blurred figure recede. She found a lamp post and leaned against it, looking into the oncoming traffic. The headlights turned into more fireworks. Or one of those toys she'dhad as a child: tube, full of colored beads, you shook it, looked through the hole, lovely patterns - what was it calle
Diane S ☔
I'm not sure if it was the slow pace, or the fact that I didn't really connect with many of the character, but I had trouble getting into this one. Not to say that there wasn't a good story at the heart of this and that the red herrings weren't illuminating, but if a book is slower paced it needs to be atmospheric to hook me into the story. Well written, a few good surprises but a mixed read for me.

ARC from NetGalley.
Miriam Smith
Having gave 5 stars to Lisa Jewell's other book 'I Found You' I was really looking forward to reading this 'The Third Wife'.
However, I was bitterly disappointed. I could just not get into this at all, I found the storyline boring and only continued with the book to see if it did improve, but sadly no it didn't. I feel bad giving a negative review as like I've said I did enjoy another of her books but this just didn't ring true. My husband has an ex wife and kids and we have kids and there certai
Elyse
May 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
"The thing about being the childless third wife. Maya had found, was that you were always
asked to take the family photos.

Adrian was married to Susie..wife#1... and they had two kids.
Then he marries Caroline ...wife#2....and they have three kids.
Then he marries Maya... Wife #3....no kids.

It's one big happy- family- affair. All the wives seem to adore each other.. Adore Adrian...
Taking large family vacations together.

Yet... After Maya dies...(tragic accident, or suicide?), from stumbling in
Melissa
Jun 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“You’re a love addict.”

Things aren’t always as they appear. That was the underlying theme throughout this twisted family drama that kept me enthralled, pretty much until the end. It was well-written, dynamic and left me wanting to pick up the author’s other books.

The story centered around a man, Adrian Wolfe, and his unique family situation. When the story started off, my heart broke for him. Here’s a guy that just lost his third wife. Yes . . . third. It’s hard to fathom, anyone could believe
Marialyce

Adrian Wolfe seems like the perfect man. True he is on his third marriage and true he has five children which he left without a dad living in their home, but he is successful, loving, and married to his third wife, Maya. Tragically, she after a night of drinking steps off a curb and is killed by an oncoming bus. As Adrian starts to explore the reasons behind the death of Maya, we begin to see cracks in what he considers to be his perfect life.

His first two wives, the children, and Adria
Gail
Jul 08, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
I absolutely adore Lisa Jewell books and have read them all. I especially loved Ralph's Party, Dream Street and The House We Grew Up In. I was overjoyed to see this had been released and couldn't wait to start it.

I.am sad to say that I feel this is by far Lisa's weakest work; It felt like it had been written by someone else. The plot is extremely flimsy and I didn't like any of the characters, particularly the self obsessed and extremely naive, Adrian. I was intrigued to find out who 'Jane' was
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
I received a copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest and fair review.

I've let this book "sit" in my mind and emotions for 24 hours before writing this review. It's one of those books that makes you think after you have read it so I waited for all the "brain dust" to settle.

Maya is Adrian's third wife, one evening she steps out in front of a moving bus and is killed. Is is suicide? Was it an accident? Nobody knows for sure.

Here's where the book got complex f
Liz Barnsley
Jul 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
So my second Lisa Jewell book in as many weeks – and certainly there will be more coming up for me in the future – if anything I enjoyed this even more than “The House We Grew Up In” – I read it pretty much in one sitting.

In “The Third Wife” Ms Jewell delves into the psychology of a fractured family – one that on the surface looks magical, everyone having moved on and accepted the changes but underneath the surface there is a whirlpool of resentment and hidden secrets. Absolutely compelling thro
Tea Jovanović
I fell in love with Lisa Jewell's writing with her debut novel "Ralph's Party" (and I was Serbian editor of that title) and left her publisher after the publication... Unfortunately, as is often the case in Serbia, new editors neglected her books completely... And I finally got time to get back to reading my "old" authors to find them new homes in Serbia... So, after more then 10 years I've read a book by Lisa Jewell... and I glad to say that I am still in love with her writing, that she matured ...more
Jessica
Jan 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
It’s always unsettling to realize that things in your life aren’t the way you think they are. Maybe it’s something small – you thought you nailed a job interview only to realize that your skirt was tucked into your underwear. Or maybe you find out you were the only one not invited on an outing with all of your friends and you don’t know what you might have done to merit being left out.

It can be embarrassing or it can be disorienting. But it’s always kind of awful. It leaves you wondering what e
sue
Jul 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: net-galley

First of all, I'd like to thank Random House UK, Cornerstone for allowing me to read and review this book via Net Galley. I love this author.

I never know what to expect from Lisa Jewell. The only thing I can be 100% sure on is that she delivers a good awesome read, this one was without exception.

I've purposely not looked at other reviewers reviews so as not to influence what I am about to write.

We have Maya, she is the third wife of Adrian. Adrain is a 'nice' man, he's a good Father, [so it seem
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out

Adrian Wolfe is devastated when his wife, Maya, is hit by a bus and killed. A year later, a mysterious woman and the discovery of a cache of nasty emails sent to Maya, addressed 'Dear Bitch', are discovered and Adrian begins to wonder if Maya's death was simply a drunken accident or by deliberate design.

Moving between the past and the present, giving voice to Adrian, Maya and various other family members, The Third Wife examines the complicated dynamics of family, relationships, and love.

The sto
Christa
Jan 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook-arc
This was the first book I have read by Lisa Jewell, so I wasn't at all sure of what to expect. I really enjoyed it. I found it to be very interesting from the start, and I liked getting to know the characters. Some of them were very flawed, yet still sympathetic and likable. There were parts of the the book that made me smile, and parts that brought tears to my eyes. I'll definitely be reading more by Jewell.

Adrian Wolfe is a man who has left two families behind when he has found another woman.
Lee
Sep 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
This is the second Lisa Jewell book I have read and I have to say what an extreme from the first. I loved The House We Grew Up In and could not put it down. This book I found myself picking it up and then putting it down again. I could not form any great feelings for the characters and the story lacked substance to me.
Karen
Jun 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Adrian Wolfe is a lucky man, or so he thinks. He is married to a younger woman, Maya; he has 2 ex-wives and 5 children and the whole family apparently gets on so well that they go on holiday together. Everybody is happy – or are they? When his wife Maya is killed after drunkenly stumbling in front of a bus nobody can be sure whether it was a tragic accident or a deliberate act.

I’m late coming to Lisa Jewell’s books and have yet to read many of her earlier stories but I have thoroughly enjoyed th
Joodith
Jul 01, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Okay girls, drag out the deckchairs, pour the Pimms, settle your self and while away a couple of hours in this book about Adrian and his families.

Adrian has been married to Maya a couple of years before she wanders drunkenly into the path of a London bus and is killed. He is distraught and seeks comfort in his other two families. Yes – that’s right –because Adrian, silly shambolic, selfish man has been married twice before. He left wife number 1 (Susie) and his two kids for Caroline who became w
Sally Boocock
Didn't like any of the characters and hated Adrian who was so self obsessed it was untrue. only person I felt for was Maya who just didn't know what she got herself into
Rossy
I couldn't put it down, I just had to find out what really was going on inside Maya's head before her death!
I didn't particularly loved any of the characters, I felt their family(ies) were too happy on the surface, after everything they'd gone through, and that wasn't normal, lol.
I loved the book, a big extended dysfunctional family come together and form a pretty picture of what families are these days, complicated, with divorces, many kids, trying to adjust timing, vacations, etc.
The ending wa
Meredith
Apr 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
One of the things that I like about Lisa Jewell's books is that each one is different and unpredictable--this is true of The Third Wife.

Adrian, twice divorced & father of five, has recently become widowed when his third wife, Maya, jumps in front of a bus. While investigating the cause of Maya's suicide, Adrian is forced to come to terms with the decisions that he has made in his life.
Brenda - Traveling Sister
Dec 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars
Judy Collins
A special thank you to Atria Books and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

British author, Lisa Jewell, once again has a thumb on today’s marriage, relationships, and blended families in her latest complex and emotional psychological suspense drama, THE THIRD WIFE.

Three women have one thing in common – Adrian Wolfe, a man, a father, a current husband, and former husband for two different wives, and five children between two of the former wives.

Fifty year old Adrian, an accomp
Anne
Jun 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
I’m really overcome with admiration for Lisa Jewell. She’s always been a great writer, enjoyable to read, but in the early days I think it’s fair to say that her novels could have been classified as chick lit (although I know she hates the term) – very good and well-written, but maybe a tad lighter and slightly more fluffy. But then came The Making Of Us, a wonderful story about damaged people, and she began to move into a different league. Before I Met You was quite wonderful, with its deft han ...more
Kirstie
I’m a fan of her books but found it ended a bit too nicely for Adrian. Surely he wasn’t that likeable?!?

Really liked Maya and felt it was a shame she died
Paula Brandon
Laurel-Rain
Apr 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Our story begins in Islington, England, in April 2011, when a young woman named Maya, in a state of inebriation and possible confusion, steps in front of a bus and is killed.

Adrian Wolfe was her husband, but she was his third wife. Like a serial adulterer or serial monogamist, he had the ability to move on whenever he felt as though the bloom had faded from his love life. Never mind that he had a total of five children: Luke and Cat with his first wife, Susie, and Otis, Pearl, and Beau with his
Mandy
Jul 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
I enjoyed this. I liked the writing style and I found the story very believable.
The characters were well-fleshed out, all of them, and they were just so human. I could completely relate to why they did what they did, and understand how they felt about it.
I will definitely be reading more from this author.
And yes, I did cry, of course I did. I wasn't expecting to but I did. The ending didn't surprise me but I was satisfied with it and I am glad that's how the book ended.
ElaineJim Kaiser
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Third Wife really grows on you and packs one helluva emotional punch. I was expecting a run-of-the-mill thriller trying to be Gone Girl or Girl on the Train with crazy twists. Yes, there are some surprises, but what makes this book special is how you connect with characters even at their lowest, flawed moments. Give it a chance and stick with it - even when is drags. Worth it!
  • One Last Dance
  • Missing
  • Someone Else's Wedding
  • After I Left You
  • The Unfinished Symphony of You and Me
  • A Place For Us
  • The Secret by the Lake
  • Frozen Stiff (Mattie Winston Mysteries, #3)
  • The Summer Guest
  • The Long Fall
  • Keep Your Friends Close
  • The Teashop on the Corner
  • The Shadow Year
  • The Betrayal
  • The Second Love of My Life
  • My Vacation in Hell
  • Requiem Mass (DCI Andrew Fenwick, #1)
  • The Secrets We Keep
Lisa was born in London in 1968. Her mother was a secretary and her father was a textile agent and she was brought up in the northernmost reaches of London with her two younger sisters. She was educated at a Catholic girls’ Grammar school in Finchley. After leaving school at sixteen she spent two years at Barnet College doing an arts foundation course and then two years at Epsom School of Art & ...more
More about Lisa Jewell

• Searching for Grace Kelly
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Bricking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Elephant Keeper's Daughter
  • The Virtues of Oxygen
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony #1)
    $11.14 $1.99
  • Dog Crazy
  • The Towers of Tuscany
  • The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective
  • Who We Were Before
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Midwife (Hope River, #2)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Sin No More (Reverend Curtis Black)
    $10.39 $1.99
  • We'll Always Have Paris: Stories
  • The Hidden Flower
  • Greyhound
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Take Two (Above the Line, #2)
  • The Heart Mender: A Story of Second Chances
  • Where We Belong
    $5.99 $1.49
  • Cashelmara
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dumplin' (Dumplin', #1)
  • The Sisterhood of Blackberry Corner
  • A Scattered Life
  • Every Ugly Word
  • A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Desert God (Ancient Egypt, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds (Malayan #1)
  • An Amish Buggy Ride
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Elizabeth Street
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Gates of Rome (Emperor, #1)
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Sinful Calling (Reverend Curtis Black #13)
  • On a Cold Dark Sea
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Lady Viper (Tales from the Tudor Court #1)
  • Kings of Broken Things
  • Edward Adrift
  • The Restaurant Critic's Wife
    $3.99 $1.99
“Moving on is something that happens to you, not something you do. That's what people don't realize. Moving on is not proactive. It's organic. Be kind to yourself.” 2 likes
“Same reason she didn't tell you how hard she found it, being the spare part in your great dynasty. She obviously didn't feel like she could talk to you.” 0 likes