Start by marking “I Will Surprise My Friend! (Elephant & Piggie, #6)” as Want to Read:
I Will Surprise My Friend! (Elephant & Piggie, #6)

I Will Surprise My Friend!

(Elephant & Piggie #6)

Gerald is careful. Piggie is not.
Piggie cannot help smiling. Gerald can.
Gerald worries so that Piggie does not have to.

Gerald and Piggie are best friends.

In I Will Surprise My Friend!, Gerald and Piggie want to play a game and surprise each other-but the biggest surprise is the one they least expect.
Published June 3rd 2008 by Hyperion Books for Children (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about I Will Surprise My Friend!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Will Surprise My Friend!

Archit Ojha
Aug 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks
Couldn't contain my pleasure at revisiting this great children's book series.

Ritu, you read this first book of the series for us, and your recital was magical.

You are goldmine for Audio book editions!

I Will Surprise My Friend! has descriptive illustrations at each page showcasing the activities of the characters.

Nice and easy 4 stars!
Pooja
Aug 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Gerald and Piggie are my favorite team in children's books.

Their love for each other, the care, their friendship and the smile they bring to me and my husband's countenance while reading them together is unforgettable and irreplaceable.

In I will surprise my Friend, they come with their unique style of making us laugh and their friendship is so pure and true.

I want my children to have friends like Gerald and Piggie are. They are just so good.
Sophia Triad
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Piggie and Gerald will try to surprise one another for fun.
They will realize that maybe they can find better games to place since in the end they are less entertained than they thought they would be.
Funny and cute story.
Matt
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another wonderful Elephant and Piggie book has this duo finding new and exciting ways entertain one another. Piggie and Gerald each want to surprise the other. They spend some time plotting out their ideas and try to catch the other unawares. However, when becoming so tunnel-visioned, it is easy to lose sight of the larger picture and sometimes things get turned around. Neo laughed, as he loves surprises and leaping out from doorways. He admits that sometimes it is fun to surprise others, but ...more
Connie
May 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
Early readers can be such a pain. They have to be easy to read, so they include a lot of very short, repetitititive sentences. I bet you can quote Dick and Jane here: See Spot. See Spot run. Run, Spot, run! Run, run, run! Short, easy to read, lots of practice with those three words... and boring as HECK. Who wants to read that more than once?

Or they do the same thing, but with rhyming: See the cat. The cat is fat. The fat cat sat. Sat on the mat. The fat cat sat on the mat. See the r
AMY
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Grades K-1
So funny! Cute story about Piggy and Elephant trying to surprise each other. Neat twist near the end of the story. I laughed out loud. Highly recommended Gr. K-1.
Leslie Brevard
Nov 11, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: easy-to-read
Pre-K- Kindergarten
Willems uses repetition on each page with the elephant and the pig doing different activities. The is a lot of negative space on each page and with the end pages there are squirrels in the front of the book and also the back of the book. There are very few words on each page as well as lots of repetition with the text. This book will capture the attention of many younger readers because they will feel successful when being able to read this book. The books seems long, bu
elissa
I LOVE MO WILLEMS!! I hope he keeps writing these things for a good long time. The only reason that this gets 4 1/2 stars rather than 5 from me is that it wasn't that funny at all when I read it to myself. When my younger son and I performed it dramatically, it became uproariously funny! My co-worker, Anina, and I did a dramatic reading of this at storytime. Adults and kids all laughed, but I think they also thought we were a little weird (which doesn't bother me at all, and didn't seem to bothe ...more
midnightfaerie
Sep 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Another wonderful Willems book that kept both my 5 yr old and twin 3 yr olds fascinated. Not enough words to be even a reading level 1 book, Willems still has a way about him to bring the reader into his wonderful world. These books are ones my whole family loves. And a fellow friend on GR recently told me that the pigeon was hidden in each book and we now love to look for him too! Fun for all and a great addition to any children's library!
Elisha Condie
Jul 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Man, we love Mo Willems. He can infuse so much emotion into such simple drawings - the facial expressions of Piggie & Gerald just kill me and the kids when we are reading these. There is so much humor even with minimal dialogue and drawings. It's awesome.

Seriously, Mo Willems, who are you? Can we be best friends?
Jill
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ha Ha! Once again, they crack me up!
Katische Haberfield
page 46 is just the bomb. Angus could not contain himself.
Melki
Apr 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Elephant & Piggie attempt to surprise one another.
Complications and well, surprises ensue.
Huda
Apr 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
OOh!! this one is a FAVORITE!!
it's when Elephant and Piggie decide to surprise each other XD
Kitty14
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
So funny! I loved it!
Samantha
Feb 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: easy-readers
This is the best Elephant and Piggie book, hands down. I also am realizing that I might secretly be the Elephant.
Belky
Oct 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The only thing you need to do right now is go and find this book. It is So GOOD that it will make you laugh on a really down day. It is fighting first place against other books in this series.
Mama Bibliosoph
One of the best ways to represent that people all have their own internal mental states is visually—through cartoon thought bubbles. And probably no author does that better for younger children than Mo Willems.

I like I Will Surprise My Friend, an Elephant and Piggie series title, because the plot is a slightly more advanced theory of mind concept: the second-order false belief.

This is pretty academic, but basically a first-order false belief is when someone has a false be
Wendy
I so love the interplay of personalities with Gerald and Piggie. I'm a total Gerald and my daughter is much more like Piggie and I think that's part of the fun as we read these books and she learns to say all of Piggie's parts while I do Gerald.

In this book in particular I love how Gerald panics and imagines all sorts of disasters when he can't see Piggie. I was even worried this would scare my daughter but she took it all in great humor seeing that Piggie was just fine.

These are great rereads
Stephanie
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hilariously fun! This series could not be more perfect for beginning readers. My kids are 5 & 7, both reading at a first grade level, and they LOVE this series. They are actually excited about reading! With the expressive illustrations and engaging dialogue, these books are teaching my little ones to read with better fluency and expressiveness. Even for parents, the stories are full of laugh-out-loud fun. I can't praise this series enough! Thank you Mo Willems for helping my kids to love rea ...more
SJ Loria
Jul 19, 2017 rated it did not like it
Look at the creepy smiles. That should be enough of a warning you're in for a strange trip.
Monster eating pig illustration alert. Thanks Mo, another "oh no, monsters are just imaginary" explanation to my 2 year old niece on that page. Oh well, back in the day there was tons of death in kids stories.
Plot = an attempt at playing turns into a waiting game due to a lack of communication. Then it ends up fine.
Eternal questions addressed = zero
Character gains for sitting through thi
Shacoria
Aug 20, 2019 rated it liked it
I read this book today with one of the kids at work. It's actually kind of hilarious. The drawings are pretty funny. The story can be used to help students with basic emotion identification (surprised, worried, happy). It can also be used to help children with basic reasoning skills (What is wrong with the plan that elephant & piggie come up with? Why can't elephant and piggie find each other by the rock?). Overall, it can be a pretty good tool for elementary school kids and it's entertainin ...more
Ed
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
After witnessing two squirrel friends surprise each other, Elephant and Piggie decide to surprise each other and hilarity ensues.

I read this book 3 or 4 times (under threat of tears) to my best friend's 6 and 8 year olds and it went over very well. They each read it to me 3 or 4 times. Everyone in the car had to read it. It's very re-readable.

What is interesting how it changes each time you read it. (Or is it the reader that changes?) (I don't change diapers - so I really
Nadina
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Okay, so this is my first Elephant and Piggie book, and honestly my first reaction is they are a little silly and stupid, but you know what, it really was quite a funny book and it's for kids, and it really was enjoyable.
I like that the illustrations were simple and the text was easy to read, perfect for a beginning reader.
I hope the next few Elephant and Piggie books I read are just as amusing.
Mikaela Robbins
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read one Beginning Reader (fiction or nonfiction) and comment on their appeal and content.

The story is about piggie and elephant, who decide to surprise each other. This book would be good for early readers because it uses easy sentences that beginner readers would be able to understand. It also uses phrases that express emotion that kids can understand. The character’s face express emotions so that the children can pick up on what the characters are feeling.
Kitara Faltin
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is part of the book series about Gerald the elephant and Piggie the pig. In this book, Piggie and Gerald see some friends playing a game and it is hide and seek. Gerald and Piggie want to try and so they both decide to run and hide behind a rock. Both friends become confused about where the other is. The books share fun messages and show a friendship between two friends that is special.
Angie
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
My Review: We are big fans of Elephant & Piggie but we have read our personal books countless times, so we were both glad for this new one from the library. This was a fun one to read and it did give Munchkin a bit of a challenge with new words but he loved being able to read it all on his own. I do like how it shows that surprises aren't for everyone.
Shaye Miller
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
We LOVE all the Elephant & Piggie books. When reading this one with my 4-year-old tonight, we both couldn’t stop giggling. LOL 😂 I wish we had the whole set. You’re never too old for these books, in my opinion!
Fourth Grade
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My opinion is on I Will Surprise My Friend by Mo Willems. Its a great book and its really funny. One thing that I thought was funny is that one is frighten and one is not.I would recommend this to pre-k and 1st grade.Mo Willems should not stop making books.
Julia
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing

• We Are Growing! (Elephant & Piggie like reading!, #2)
  • The Cookie Fiasco (Elephant & Piggie Like Reading!, #1)
  • Chester's Masterpiece (Chester)
  • The Good for Nothing Button (Elephant & Piggie Like Reading!, #3)
  • A Birthday for Cow!
  • Traction Man Meets Turbo Dog
  • A Is for Musk Ox
  • Penny and Her Marble
  • Cowboy & Octopus
  • Hooray For Fly Guy! (Fly Guy, #6)
  • Spells
  • Oliver
  • Benny and Penny in Just Pretend
  • Never Take a Shark to the Dentist (and Other Things Not to Do)
#1 New York Times Bestselling author and illustrator Mo Willems is best known for his Caldecott Honor winning picture books Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus and Knuffle Bunny: a cautionary tale.

In addition to such picture books as Leonardo the Terrible Monster, Edwina the Dinosaur Who Didn’t Know She Was Extinct, and Time to Pee, Mo has created the Elephant and Piggie books, a series of early readers, and published You Can Neve

Elephant & Piggie (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • Today I Will Fly! (Elephant & Piggie, #1)
  • My Friend is Sad (Elephant & Piggie, #2)
  • I am Invited to a Party! (Elephant & Piggie, #3)
  • There Is a Bird on Your Head! (Elephant & Piggie, #4)
  • I Love My New Toy! (Elephant & Piggie, #5)
  • Are You Ready to Play Outside? (Elephant & Piggie, #7)
  • Watch Me Throw the Ball! (Elephant & Piggie, #8)
  • Elephants Cannot Dance! (Elephant & Piggie, #9)
  • Pigs Make Me Sneeze! (Elephant & Piggie, #10)
  • I am Going! (Elephant and Piggie, #11)