Start by marking “Transmetropolitan, Vol. 9: The Cure (Transmetropolitan, #9)” as Want to Read:
Transmetropolitan, Vol. 9: The Cure (Transmetropolitan, #9)

Transmetropolitan, Vol. 9: The Cure (Transmetropolitan #9)

4.45  ·  Rating details ·  9,673 Ratings  ·  95 Reviews
The forces of darkness are closing in on outlaw journalist Spider Jerusalem and his merry, filthy band ? but now they’ve got their own rope around the neck of corrupt President Callahan, and it’s time to start tightening the noose.

TRANSMETROPOLITAN: THE CURE is the ninth volume reprinting the acclaimed series written by Warren Ellis (PLANETARY, RED) with art by Darick Robe

Published December 1st 2003 by Vertigo (first published November 21st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Transmetropolitan, Vol. 9, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Transmetropolitan, Vol. 9

Sesana
Oct 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
This is the second to last volume of the series, and it's obvious on almost every page. Taken by itself, it feels very exposition-y, because it is setup for the last volume. That doesn't mean that it isn't satisfying. I loved seeing the pieces start to fall into place, and the last page is fantastic. If I'd been reading this in individual issues, I would have been delighted, but anxious for the month to be up. Watching Spider's ongoing deterioration is difficult. There are panels where he's inte ...more
Joni
Mar 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ante último tomo que avanza muy pero muy lento para cerrar con el numero que cierra a todo trapo. Quizá por la ansiedad del inminente final se hace largo el relleno que decora tan bien el mundo Transmet,, nada que agregar del dibujo, los pequeños detalles y los golpes de efecto, siempre estirando un poco más la crueldad y la violencia. Es un poco triste ver a Spider sucumbiendo a la enfermedad...
Benoit Lelièvre
Jul 27, 2016 rated it liked it
This volume is a good example of what I'm saying when I argue that the series fizzles out: Spider's barely writing one line (it's a series about the power of the press), he's erratically fighting what he represents (absolute integrity) and the meaningful episodes are separated by air. It still has an intrinsic quality of discussing the mechanisms of democracy and it's still an above average thriller, but it's frustrating given how strong the five first volume were.
Negativni
Aug 11, 2015 rated it did not like it
Uh! Ovo je bilo veliko razočarenje..

Transmetropolitan sam počeo čitati nakon odličnog Y: The Last Man series koji me iznenadio složenom radnjom i kvalitetom kojom je napisan. Tražio sam nešto "slično" a Transmetropolitan je iskakao na sve strane pa sam njega uzeo čitati.

Transmetropolitan naravno nije sličan Y: The Last Manu, nego možda Lobou, ako se dobro sjećam tog stripa, tu mislim ponajviše na "ultranasilje" kako to Amerikanci vole reći.

Glavni lik Transmetropolitana je Spider koji je pljunu
Sam Quixote
Mar 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Spider's brain disease (kind of like Alzheimer's) continues to kill him, the effects this time around are becoming more noticeable as he struggles to write his exposes. Meanwhile he and his filthy assistants are hot on the trail of Callahan's potentially Presidential-term ending exploits in his campaign and hunt down the last living witness to his depravities.

It was cool to see Mitchell Royce, Spider's former editor at "The Word", get more of a look in in this, the penultimate book in the series
Jedi JC Daquis
Sep 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It's payback time.

Time is running out for Spider Jerusalem. What stands between him and a story are his degenerative disease and the President himself, but still he managed to uncover and reveal something that have sent Callahan presidential chills in his spine. Oh yes sir, this is a great read. The Cure is fast-paced, non-stop and action-packed.

It is also sad, and I cannot stop thinking about the real-world events that are happening right now that are eeriely reflected by the series, I mean, po
HFK
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphics, paidkindle
While reading The Cure I kept thinking and imagining Jesse Ventura driving a black muscle car in remote roads, heading to a secret meeting with Alex Jones, eerie music in the background whispering NWO... NWO...NWO. This meeting would take place in a remote warehouse, where the misters would shake hands with serious impressions on their faces, looking at the evidence of conspiracies that would lead them to one and only logical conclusion: The Martial Law.

Admittedly, I have spend too much time wit
Aaron
Aug 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Even in its 9th volume Transmetropolitan manages to feel fresh. The detailed, future-shock, ads-gone-mad art is a thrill to behold, and Spider Jerusalem ranks as one of the best comic characters of all time. The story is taut, and you can feel the time ticking away as Spider rushes to take down the status quo as his brain is slowly eaten by disease. Even if you don't care about comics, you need to read this series.
Michelle M
Finally picking up the series again, I stopped because I basically didn't want to watch a certain character die.

This is good stuff, man. I love Spider, he's truly one of my heroes. Bleeding for the story, forcing people to do right by themselves, insisting on a better world. Love love love him.

Read during the October 2015 24-hour Read-a-thon.
Artemy
Jun 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, 5stars, vertigo
Man, at this point, I just can't put these books down once I start 'em. Three volumes in one day. I kind of feel bad, because I'm supposed to savour it, but damn it, I need to know what happens next! This book got incredibly serious and tense. And I absolutely love it.
Clare Fitzgerald
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
In Warren Ellis Transmetropolitan, Vol. 9: The Cure, Spider goes around re-gathering evidence for his project to take down President Callahan in between bouts of forgetting words while his brain falls out his nose. (Don’t do drugs, kids.) This outlaw journalism-ing involves such fun tasks as beating Fred Christ’s head in with the Chair Leg of Truth, but it is ultimately Spider’s crotchety former editor who does some massive day-saving with backup copies of Spider’s evidence. Spider then goes ...more
Alex
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. Several wheels are quickly set into motion with this arc. Minus a half star due to some technical issues. Some of the panels were confusing to follow and there were some inconsistencies with the art that added to that confusion. For instance, a character with blonde hair suddenly was a brunette in the following panel. There was another character who had dark hair, so for a moment it was unclear who was speaking. Other than that, this penultimate volume was pretty solid.
Friz
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
fucking wow. all things considered, this may be my favorite volume thus far. I love the third and fifths the most. But damn, Volume 9 The Cure was off the fucking chain. Nonstop action from the get, and what a fucking ending!!!!! Immediately picking up the tenth and final volume. Can't wait to finish the series. One of the best series I've ever read, graphic or not. Hats off.
Martin Chalupa
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Spider is still not losing his breath. This volume is again very fast paced story telling that you will read that in a couple hours without noticing how fast you did it. That is for me the highest mark of engaging story. Lets see how will looks like the grand finale of the series.
Drizztl
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
7.5/10
Andrew Huey
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
Almost at the end of the series now. Lots of action in this volume.
Ian
Oct 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
The storyline feels fittingly penultimate, and the tone manages to tap into what makes the series fun without sacrificing the pacing. That said, I know it's a mistake to read Warren Ellis for plot, but the whammies lose a lot of their impact because there's no reason they couldn't have happened sooner.
Abhishek Das
Veritas Ex Machina. In the first example of convenient storytelling meets lazy writing, in the space of a single volume, Spider Jerusalem goes from journalist on the lam fighting for truth with no evidence, to magically locating the smoking gun that can take down the President. Perhaps the need to wrap up this series was taking its toll on Ellis, as he races to write the final showdown between Spider and the Smiler, conveniently equipping his anti-hero with the tools to take down the big bad vil ...more
Tracy
I put off reading volume 9 because I really don't want to finish the series. Everything is coming to a head, and I feel like the stage is set for one last face-off between President "The Smiler" Callahan and journalist Spider Jerusalem in volume 10.
Sam Quixote
Mar 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Kim
Jul 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fuck! I love Transmet. Spider Jerusalem is my hero - if I believed in such a thing; Spider would think that was lame as shit. When I dream of being a writer/auteur/general rabble-rouser I dream of him.

For those who don't know: Transmet (as the fans call it) tells the story of rogue journalist Spider Jerusalem, a bald, tattooed, crazyman with glasses that have 24-hour-a-day information in them and can connect to an Internet that like, pops up in front of you. The future, man. Anyway, his city -
Jess
Jun 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm finally getting around to finishing off the last couple of volumes of the great Transmetropolitan series. Reading Volume 9: The Cure made me question why I left it so long, because here Ellis is in top form, there are so many quotable bits here. Ellis even manages to show us more of The City, continually revealing, even this far in the series, the strange technologies and methods of control in place.

Spider Jerusalem, outlaw journalist of the future, is now fighting a biological deadline in
Brian
Aug 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Here it is. The payoffs have already shown themselves in this issue. Against all odds, Spider finally manages to pull it together just enough to get a story through with real, credible evidence that damages the Smiler. The last panel of this issue was all kinds of satisfying. At long last, the gruesome trail of murder and deceit is beginning to unravel for the monstrous President.

While obviously I enjoyed the end the most, the entire issue was incredibly strong. There were no meandering plot thr
Joe Young
Aug 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Transmetropolitan Vol. 9: The Cure collects issues 49-54 of the DC comic Transmetropolitan. The Cure finds Spider Jerusalem down and out: he's been fired from his job, evicted from his apartment, diagnosed with an incurable brain infection that is steadily reducing him to a drooling vegetable and is now being hunted by invisible, personal assassination squads sent by the President of the United States. But Spider is still smiling because he and his filthy assistants, Channon Yarrow and Yelena Ro ...more
Robert Beveridge
Sep 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished, search-ohio
Warren Ellis, Transmetropolitan: The Cure (Vertigo, 2003)

Ellis starts to wrap everything up in this penultimate volume of Transmetropolitan, tracking down the few surviving people who were part of the President's darker days on the campaign trail, one of whom is an old adversary. Spider Jerusalem is getting sicker; will he survive long enough to finish this last story? Despite the extremely dark tenor the story has taken in its final few volumes, Transmetropolitan remains as funny as ever. In fa
Dann
Aug 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: cyberpunk, comics
Warren Ellis' graphic novel series is unmistakeably well written. The 90's art style perfectly suits the story, and even suits the cyberpunk genre. It is a gritty, ultra-violent series, with a nice, different take on hacker altruism, inspired by the sci-fi novels of the 80's.

Having said that, it is a very difficult series to read. Pure nuggets of creativity are often dimmed by schizophrenic breaks--often by the protagonist--which, I understand, makes this series unique, and to some endearing, b
Drew
May 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As much as I thoroughly enjoyed this installment and only found a few little nitpicks at the start... there's only so much time you can spend waiting for that bell to ring. And this entire installment is the moment, not even the second but the split-second, before it does - that sort of drawn-out tension is spectacular but let's just say I'm quite glad I have the final installment on hand. You wouldn't want to let this cliffhanger sit any longer than absolutely necessary.
But ooooh it is a good o
Erika
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
As Spider looses more control over his body he begins to gain more control over the situation, as the rest of the world (especially it's journalists) begin to become more and more aware of just what the president is doing to them.
It's been fascinating to watch how focused Spider gets and how the other journalists start to wake up and come around, even if it's only so they don't miss out on the ratings. And even as the President tightens his grip things slide out of his control faster and faster
Becky
Nov 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
I am too sad about this story ending. On the bright side, positive rant: I love how Ellis writes Spider's assistants, Channon and Yelena. I can't stand stories where the male lead is constantly leaving his female partners and friends out of the loop and trying to "protect" them by running off to do his own thing. Channon and Yelena may not be as seasoned as journalists as Spider, but they are always fully capable of running with him on anything.
Q.
Jun 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Volumes 8 and 9 really cemented my love for Spider Jerusalem as a character. While cynical and crude, there's a sort of boyish innocence to him that I really love. His passion is his passion and there was a certain page in volume 9 that, as an aspiring writer, actually got me a little choked up.

The comic is soon coming to a close and I'm going to be sad to see it end. But that just means I'll have to move on to more of Ellis' work. i.e. The Authority.
  • The Invisibles, Vol. 2: Apocalipstick
  • Preacher, Volume 7: Salvation
  • 100 Bullets, Vol. 4: A Foregone Tomorrow
  • DMZ, Vol. 5: The Hidden War
  • Ex Machina, Vol. 3: Fact v. Fiction  (Ex Machina, #3)
Warren Ellis is the award-winning writer of graphic novels like TRANSMETROPOLITAN, FELL, MINISTRY OF SPACE and PLANETARY, and the author of the NYT-bestselling GUN MACHINE and the “underground classic” novel CROOKED LITTLE VEIN. The movie RED is based on his graphic novel of the same name, its sequel having been released in summer 2013. His graphic novel GLOBAL FREQUENCY is in development at Jerry ...more
More about Warren Ellis...

Transmetropolitan (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Transmetropolitan, Vol. 0: Tales of Human Waste  (Transmetropolitan, #0)
  • Transmetropolitan, Vol. 1: Back on the Street (Transmetropolitan, #1)
  • Transmetropolitan, Vol. 2: Lust for Life (Transmetropolitan, #2)
  • Transmetropolitan, Vol. 3: Year of the Bastard (Transmetropolitan, #3)
  • Transmetropolitan, Vol. 4: The New Scum (Transmetropolitan, #4)
  • Transmetropolitan, Vol. 5: Lonely City (Transmetropolitan, #5)
  • Transmetropolitan: I Hate It Here
  • Transmetropolitan, Vol. 6: Gouge Away (Transmetropolitan, #6)
  • Transmetropolitan, Vol. 7: Spider's Thrash (Transmetropolitan, #7)
  • Transmetropolitan: Filth of the City