Start by marking “Transmetropolitan, Vol. 9: The Cure” as Want to Read:
Transmetropolitan, Vol. 9: The Cure

Transmetropolitan, Vol. 9: The Cure

(Transmetropolitan (Collected Editions) #9)

The forces of darkness are closing in on outlaw journalist Spider Jerusalem and his merry, filthy band ? but now they’ve got their own rope around the neck of corrupt President Callahan, and it’s time to start tightening the noose. TRANSMETROPOLITAN: THE CURE is the ninth volume reprinting the acclaimed series written by Warren Ellis (PLANETARY, RED) with art by Darick Rob ...more
Published December 1st 2003 by Vertigo (first published November 21st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Transmetropolitan, Vol. 9, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Transmetropolitan, Vol. 9

Start your review of Transmetropolitan, Vol. 9: The Cure
kaelan
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comix
The Cure moves us one step closer to what I can only imagine will be a rollicking, gruesome finale. Problem is, I like Transmet best when it focuses on side stories, character sketches, world-building and the like. Frankly, because I find the main narrative arch—Spider Jerusalem's crusade against a corrupt, deranged and sociopathic president—unimaginative and, dare I say, rather boring.

By this point in the series, President Callahan has grown so crazed, so ridiculous, that his capacity to serve
Sesana
Oct 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
This is the second to last volume of the series, and it's obvious on almost every page. Taken by itself, it feels very exposition-y, because it is setup for the last volume. That doesn't mean that it isn't satisfying. I loved seeing the pieces start to fall into place, and the last page is fantastic. If I'd been reading this in individual issues, I would have been delighted, but anxious for the month to be up. Watching Spider's ongoing deterioration is difficult. There are panels where he's inte ...more
Benoit Lelièvre
Jul 27, 2016 rated it liked it
This volume is a good example of what I'm saying when I argue that the series fizzles out: Spider's barely writing one line (it's a series about the power of the press), he's erratically fighting what he represents (absolute integrity) and the meaningful episodes are separated by air. It still has an intrinsic quality of discussing the mechanisms of democracy and it's still an above average thriller, but it's frustrating given how strong the five first volume were.
Devann
Probably more of a 4.5 but I do still think the last volume was better so I'm going to leave this at a 4. I probably should have actually reviewed this before going on to the last volume because now I'm having trouble trying to separate everything, but I will just say that if you have been impatient with the last several volumes then you will really love this because it's pretty much non stop action and very satisfying to read.
André
Mar 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The series is closing to the end. One can see that Spider's scheme is tightening. Alongside his filthy assistants, the antihero will find the latest evidence against the president. This volume is totally dedicated to the background investigation against the smiler. Jerusalem's health is getting worse, but one last effort will be needed in order to take the operation on.
The story doesn't bring much character depth, compared to the previous volumes. However, it focuses more on the facts that go ag
Sam Quixote
Mar 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Spider's brain disease (kind of like Alzheimer's) continues to kill him, the effects this time around are becoming more noticeable as he struggles to write his exposes. Meanwhile he and his filthy assistants are hot on the trail of Callahan's potentially Presidential-term ending exploits in his campaign and hunt down the last living witness to his depravities.

It was cool to see Mitchell Royce, Spider's former editor at "The Word", get more of a look in in this, the penultimate book in the series
Jedi JC Daquis
Sep 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It's payback time.

Time is running out for Spider Jerusalem. What stands between him and a story are his degenerative disease and the President himself, but still he managed to uncover and reveal something that have sent Callahan presidential chills in his spine. Oh yes sir, this is a great read. The Cure is fast-paced, non-stop and action-packed.

It is also sad, and I cannot stop thinking about the real-world events that are happening right now that are eeriely reflected by the series, I mean, po
Otherwyrld
May 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Volume 9 is a quieter story, a regrouping before the final onslaught. It's good, but it didn't fire on all cylinders for me. The last page is the beginning of the final story though.
Juho Pohjalainen
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Royce is the best editor.
The Library Ladies
(originally reviewed at thelibraryladies.com )

I can’t believe that my re-read of “Transmetropolitan” took me this long, but I also can’t believe that it’s almost over. I’ve been reminded during my revisit that Spider Jerusalem is one of the best comic characters of the past twenty years, and that while this story is outlandish and crude it still has so much to say about the world we live in. I opened up “The Cure”, the penultimate volume, ready to be blown away by how it all turned out and to
Jessica
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
We be more to go and I will have completed this series. It's frightening and unreal how close to home this is to our current political climate. Especially considering it was written over a decade ago. Pay attention fellow Americans. And never be silent.
Angel Noir
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
What an explosive volume! There’s so much satisfaction in all the time put into learning about the city, the side stories. It all really comes together in this dastardly piece. I’m loving how the series has begun to wrap itself up at this point.
Cyndi
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It’s all going straight to Hell in a wild hand basket y’all!!!!
Wade Alexander
No filler here! Full volume of Spider getting his leads back while he can to stick it to the President. Story flying on all gears here, no background checks.
Aaron
Aug 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Even in its 9th volume Transmetropolitan manages to feel fresh. The detailed, future-shock, ads-gone-mad art is a thrill to behold, and Spider Jerusalem ranks as one of the best comic characters of all time. The story is taut, and you can feel the time ticking away as Spider rushes to take down the status quo as his brain is slowly eaten by disease. Even if you don't care about comics, you need to read this series.
Michelle Morrell
Finally picking up the series again, I stopped because I basically didn't want to watch a certain character die.

This is good stuff, man. I love Spider, he's truly one of my heroes. Bleeding for the story, forcing people to do right by themselves, insisting on a better world. Love love love him.

Read during the October 2015 24-hour Read-a-thon.
Artemy
Jun 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Man, at this point, I just can't put these books down once I start 'em. Three volumes in one day. I kind of feel bad, because I'm supposed to savour it, but damn it, I need to know what happens next! This book got incredibly serious and tense. And I absolutely love it.
Clare
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
In Warren Ellis Transmetropolitan, Vol. 9: The Cure, Spider goes around re-gathering evidence for his project to take down President Callahan in between bouts of forgetting words while his brain falls out his nose. (Don’t do drugs, kids.) This outlaw journalism-ing involves such fun tasks as beating Fred Christ’s head in with the Chair Leg of Truth, but it is ultimately Spider’s crotchety former editor who does some massive day-saving with backup copies of Spider’s evidence. Spider then goes ...more
Zec
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Another volume with absorbing plot. The pacing is as rapid as ever but, the series has come to a standstill world-building and character development wise. The world felt a lot larger in the earlier volumes with Spider Jerusalem as tour guide. While I do appreciate the focus on plot, this has an adverse effect of limiting the world as we only view it through Spider’s eyes. I would’ve preferred it if there were a few standalone issues told from Yelena, Channon or even Fred Christ’s perspective. Wh ...more
C. Varn
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ellis continues to move the plot at breakneck speeds and Spider's brain disease spreads, which in many ways puts both urgency in the narrative and bits of perhaps "untrustworthy" narration. Robinson continues to build texture and detail in the over-packed and highly dystopian future, the violence is also at a fever pitch but unlike in earlier volumes seems to have stakes. Mitchell Royce, Spider's original editor, is given some needed characterization and development. While not perfect, this is s ...more
Abigail Pankau
Feb 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spider continues to track down proof of the President hiring transient hookers. Even though all the evidence files of the major media companies were destroyed during the near-superstorm, Spider's old editor Royce is able to give him the secret backups. Then Spider is able to track down the last hooker connected with the President. But will it be enough before the President makes his next move in the City? Nearing the end of the story in this dark, dystopian future, and all the pieces are coming ...more
Alex
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. Several wheels are quickly set into motion with this arc. Minus a half star due to some technical issues. Some of the panels were confusing to follow and there were some inconsistencies with the art that added to that confusion. For instance, a character with blonde hair suddenly was a brunette in the following panel. There was another character who had dark hair, so for a moment it was unclear who was speaking. Other than that, this penultimate volume was pretty solid.
Friz Allen
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
fucking wow. all things considered, this may be my favorite volume thus far. I love the third and fifths the most. But damn, Volume 9 The Cure was off the fucking chain. Nonstop action from the get, and what a fucking ending!!!!! Immediately picking up the tenth and final volume. Can't wait to finish the series. One of the best series I've ever read, graphic or not. Hats off.
Martin Chalupa
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Spider is still not losing his breath. This volume is again very fast paced story telling that you will read that in a couple hours without noticing how fast you did it. That is for me the highest mark of engaging story. Lets see how will looks like the grand finale of the series.
Peter
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Spider’s health deteriorates, his old editor from the Word makes a comeback and the president shows more of his tyrannical nature. The story escalates with non stop action in preparation for the finale.
Andrew
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
Almost at the end of the series now. Lots of action in this volume.
Yannik
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This volume will keep you at the edge of your seat!
Johan
Aug 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Compared to previous volumes this one is darker with more violence, torture, assassinations, ... but without the dark humor to take the edge off.
James
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dc-marvel, comicbooks
A race to defeat a corrupt president of the USA. Sounds very familiar.
Craig
Feb 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Spider Jerusalem. Paging that bulging, turgid sore on your ass. That which you acquired, sensuous sensations ago, ugly and true, reminders mortal, torn from its roots.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please correct page number 2 13 Feb 07, 2020 08:02PM

• Dream Country (The Sandman, #3)
  • Preacher, Volume 8: All Hell's a-Coming
  • The Boys, Volume 12: The Bloody Doors Off
  • The Boys, Volume 5: Herogasm
  • The Boys, Volume 3: Good For The Soul
  • DMZ, Vol. 5: The Hidden War
Warren Ellis is the award-winning writer of graphic novels like TRANSMETROPOLITAN, FELL, MINISTRY OF SPACE and PLANETARY, and the author of the NYT-bestselling GUN MACHINE and the “underground classic” novel CROOKED LITTLE VEIN, as well as the digital short-story single DEAD PIG COLLECTOR. His newest book is the novella NORMAL, from FSG Originals, listed as one of Amazon’s Best 100 Books Of 2016.

T

Transmetropolitan (Collected Editions) (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Transmetropolitan, Vol. 1: Back on the Street