Start by marking “Transmetropolitan, Vol. 4: The New Scum” as Want to Read:
Transmetropolitan, Vol. 4: The New Scum

Transmetropolitan, Vol. 4: The New Scum

(Transmetropolitan (Collected Editions) #4)

Investigative reporter Spider Jerusalem attacks the injustices of the 23rd Century surroundings while working for the newspaper The Word in this critically-acclaimed graphic novel series written by comics superstar Warren Ellis, the co-creator of PLANETARY and THE AUTHORITY.
Published September 1st 2000 by Vertigo

To ask other readers questions about Transmetropolitan, Vol. 4, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Transmetropolitan, Vol. 4

Start your review of Transmetropolitan, Vol. 4: The New Scum
Sr3yas
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars
I am going to have you, Jerusalem, I am going to destroy you. Just when you least expect it.

Every hero, even a curse-spewing junkie hero, needs a villain. A Joker to Jerusalem's Batman.

Seriously, he looks like a Joker too. But the thing is, he might just be the next President of America!
(I wouldn't have believed stuff like this a couple of years back. How times have changed!)

Scums of the city.

Before this volume, I had settled on the notion that Spider is a total dick. Seriously,
Sesana
Oct 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Kind of felt like a step down from previous volumes. This one seemed to have sacrificed some of the mad, furious energy that fueled Ellis through other volumes. Possibly because things needed to be done here, so Ellis restrained himself to see that they were done. And so they were. We get a more complete view of each presidential candidate. One is actually compelling and seems like a real person, the other is a cardboard cutout villain. Guess which gets elected president? I'm guessing that much ...more
Jedi JC Daquis
Sep 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Spider Jerusalem is f*cked-up big-time now. The election results have been announced and the country has a new president. The New Scum has decided and Spider Jerusalem is so angry who the country has voted for.

The death of his friend Vita Severn has finally paid off. It is a sad truth that even Jerusalem cannot expose (since he doesn't have the facts) but was absolutely sure that it was the same group where Severn belongs who ordered it. There is so much drama in politics.

Haha, aside from that,
Juho Pohjalainen
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Callahan is a real bastard to love to hate.
Gavin
Nov 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
So in the wake of a shocking assassination/murder, Spider finds himself coveted by both the Beast and the Smiler (the 2 men running for POTUSA). The New Scum refers to the part of the City where the very lower classes manage to scrape by their existences. Spider doesn't think too highly of the men who subjugate these people, but he also expects more from them in terms of their civic responsibilities.

Warren Ellis has always been an impressive writer (save maybe for Avengers: Endless Wartime -
Dan
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
People even presented with the truth still vote wrong.
Ivan
Jan 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Weakest part so far.It's still very good but not as good as previous entries.
Ed Erwin
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, sf, dystopia
For me, this is the best volume of this story so far. Incredibly detailed run-down filthy high-tech Sci-Fi scenery. Interesting characters. Sharp, caustic satire.

Spider Jerusalem is again reporting on a presidential election between "The Beast" and "The Smiler". He exposes them both to the public in all their awfulness and the public mostly shrug it off in apathy. Spider hates them for it. But if all you have is 2 bad choices, why should you care?

The interview with "The Beast" takes place in
Devann
This one wasn't quite as good as the previous volume, but it definitely looks like the shit is about to hit the fan for Spider in the near future. But let's talk about the real breakout stars of this volume:

Seriously they were just killing me the whole time

Although Spider did have a few good moments too

And as always the 'future' looks waaay too much like the present

Benoit Lelièvre
Feb 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So far, my least favorite volume of Spider Jerusalem's stories. It wasn't bad at all, but it was more or less the ending of what volume 3 started. Half of the storylines were interesting and offered closure, but the other half were just about Spider wandering in the cities and looking for stories. They were almost wordless and over before they started. Not that I have anything against visual storytelling, but Spider Jerusalem is about more than that. He cannot afford to be uninspired and I can't ...more
Sam Quixote
Feb 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Following a shocking political assassination, the election between the Beast and the Smiler ramps up and Spider Jerusalem finds himself courted by both candidates for interviews. Meanwhile Channon finds out Yelena’s dirty secret and election day looms.

This book has Warren Ellis writing more about the world of the City with Spider, amidst the campaign madness, showing the reader the poverty stricken and the disenfranchised that live within the richest country in the world. It’s a bold move that
Daniel
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Volume 4 of the continuing journey of Spider Jerusalem finds our intrepid hero embroiled in interviewing the serving President of the United States, and his rival, Callahan, also known as The Smiler. This is a tense interview in both cases, but Spider can't help but support the serving President, also call The Beast, as the better of two evils. What transpires between Callahan and Spider is made even more interesting when he actually admits to having his personal assistant, and friend to Spider, ...more
Titas (I read in bed)
Spider was hating society before it was cool
description
The only spider that I loved in my life!
Artemy
Jun 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh man. That was the best volume so far. So much anger, grit and pain, wrapped in such bitter and yet fun narrative. Each issue gave me shivers, especially the fourth one, or issue #22. The ending was very strong, too! Loved this whole volume. The two winter tales that are included in a newer version of the trade are also very good and kind of help to ease the anger built up from the main arc.
Rin
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So much to relate to in our current US political system. Each time I see Callahan's face I want to rip out the page and punch the crap out of it. At the beginning of the series when I started way long ago, I liked to enjoy Spider's gruff take, it was funny, it was an escape, it was fictional... Now, it seems like reality and I feel like I'm Spider myself in several ways. "I hate you all" is plastered on the back of the book so when I read about childish walls, our reputation in the world ...more
Patrick
"I have to write some stories. While I still can." -Spider Jerusalem

The election for the new President of the United States is under way and Spider has lots to say on the matter!
The Library Ladies
(originally reviewed at thelibraryladies.com )

The more I revisit “Transmetropolitan”, the more I see and deeply feel parallels to our current legal situation, and in turn the more I mourn the lack of a Spider Jerusalem to jump in and start speaking ten kinds of truth. This re-read is both cathartic and upsetting, but the good news is that at least I’m finding myself laughing hysterically at many points of these comics. Because Spider, Yelena, and Channon are all so perfect and filled with
Robert Beveridge
Warren Ellis, Transmetropolitan: The New Scum (Vertigo, 2000)

After all the praise I've lavished on Transmetropolitan in my reviews of the first three volumes, I guess it was inevitable that everything would come crashing down. I have to admit, though, I'm making things sound a lot worse than they are; I guess the first three volumes had me expecting new miracles with every episode. Having given us the overarching story arc in book three, Ellis gets down to business in The New Scum, the fourth
Stephanie
While I missed the fact that there were not as many snapshots of life in Spider's city, I did enjoy that (probably because of that) there was less anger and rage and swearing from Spider - and most everyone else in the book. Though not as much of Spider's world was seen, there was a lot more plot done. Even more characterization of Spider and his assistants, which was also welcome. We get some peeks into why Spider reacts to society the way that he does. Oh and we learn who the next president is ...more
Jenna Scherer
Oct 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
My low-key Transmetropolitan reread continues. The Smiler and the Beast don't really track onto this year's election; if anything, Trump possesses both the Smiler's nihilism and narcissism AND the Beast's contempt for the working class, while not being as smart as either. I think if Warren Ellis had written Trump, he would have read as too outlandish of a character. And this is in a world where people reconstitute themselves into nanobots and eat baby seal eyes for a snack.
J.M. Hushour
Sep 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
As always, supreme! Spider Jerusalem goes full frontal in his assault on the Smiler and the Beast, all to no avail. Their confrontations are the highlights in this volume, frank, funny, and fucked-up. But, hey, it's a presidential election. Transmet continues its tradition of unabashed, probably not hyperbolic bashing of pretty much everything you know and love.
Batsap
Dec 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
What can I say about the Transmetropolitan series that hasn't been said before? Nothing, that's what.

It's brilliant, dirty, raw and funny and Spider is the perfect character to carry it - by turns both violent and sympathetic, pitiful and intimidating. He's angry, inescapably human and he's my hero.
'kris Pung
Aug 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
WOW I thought the first 3 volumes were fun but this one just jacked up the series to another level.
Erin Britton
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Transmetroplitan, Warren Ellis and Darick Robertson’s excellent post-cyberpunk comic series, chronicles the exploits of infamous renegade gonzo journalist Spider Jerusalem. After five years of effective retirement spent living as a long-haired hermit in a compound in the mountains, Spider Jerusalem managed to squander the substantial advance that he had been given by his publisher. Needless to say, he hadn’t gone so far as to actually write any of the books that he was contractually obliged to ...more
Keith Jones
The story has reached the point where it is just interesting enough that I'm curious to read what happens next; however, it has gone from most of the characters being unlikable to every single solitary last character being repulsively unlikable, which is a bit of a shame because there were one or two characters that I actually kind of liked. I'm guessing it's supposed to represent how the world is just so horrible that it'll corrupt everybody, leaving them horrible, disgusting people.
kaelan
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comix
My least favourite Transmetropolitan thus far. Warren Ellis writes politics like it’s some kind of superhero battle — all barbs and blows. And unlike past volumes, there are no side stories here to compensate for the limitations in the main narrative.
C. Varn
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The election continues

The election continues and Spider seems lost. Some of the satire seems a bit off and the power fantasy elements get more laughable. Still highly enjoyable.
James
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comicbooks, dc-marvel
Just lead up to an election of someone that shouldn`t be president. Sounds very familiar. ...more
Ryan Bradford
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Yeah, really good. Very prescient, too (the Beast presidency is almost a perfect stand-in for Trump). I get a little bummed out reading these because of how powerful the field of journalism is portrayed, but this volume ends on such a downer—not even journalism could save the election—and that feels bleakly relatable.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Preacher, Volume 2: Until the End of the World
  • Preacher, Volume 4: Ancient History
  • The Invisibles, Vol. 2: Apocalipstick
  • Ex Machina, Vol. 2: Tag (Ex Machina, #2)
  • 100 Bullets, Vol. 3: Hang Up on the Hang Low
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 1: Unmanned (Y: The Last Man, #1)
  • Preacher, Volume 5: Dixie Fried
  • Lucifer, Vol. 9: Crux
  • Preacher, Volume 1: Gone to Texas
  • Lucifer, Vol. 4: The Divine Comedy
  • Powers, Vol. 1: Who Killed Retro Girl?
  • 100 Bullets, Vol. 9: Strychnine Lives
  • Scalped, Vol. 2: Casino Boogie (Scalped, #2)
  • Fables: 1001 Nights of Snowfall
  • DMZ, Vol. 7: War Powers
  • Sweet Tooth, Volume 2: In Captivity
  • Preacher, Volume 8: All Hell's a-Coming
  • Preludes & Nocturnes (The Sandman, #1)
Warren Ellis is the award-winning writer of graphic novels like TRANSMETROPOLITAN, FELL, MINISTRY OF SPACE and PLANETARY, and the author of the NYT-bestselling GUN MACHINE and the “underground classic” novel CROOKED LITTLE VEIN, as well as the digital short-story single DEAD PIG COLLECTOR. His newest book is the novella NORMAL, from FSG Originals, listed as one of Amazon’s Best 100 Books Of 2016.

Transmetropolitan (Collected Editions) (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Transmetropolitan, Vol. 1: Back on the Street
  • Transmetropolitan, Vol. 8: Dirge
  • Transmetropolitan, Vol. 9: The Cure
  • Transmetropolitan, Vol. 10: One More Time
  • Transmetropolitan Book One
“Tradition:' one of those words conservative people use as a shortcut to thinking.” 150 likes
“Hi. I’m Spider Jerusalem. I smoke. I take drugs. I drink. I wash every six weeks. I masturbate constantly and fling my steaming poison semen down from my window into your hair and food. I’m a rich and respected columnist for a major metropolitan newspaper. I live with two beautiful women in the city’s most expensive and select community. Being a bastard works.” 32 likes