Start by marking “Fatal Greed (Greed, #1)” as Want to Read:
Fatal Greed (Greed, #1)

Fatal Greed

(Greed #1)

ebook
Published June 12th 2014 by Smashwords Edition (first published June 10th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Fatal Greed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fatal Greed

Wendy
Dec 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mar-16
"Fatal Greed" by John W. Mefford is the first book in his "Greed" series.
IT Manager Michael Doyle fears for his job when he learns that his employer is merging with an international corporation. Little did he know that this would be the last thing on his mind once he stumbles upon a mutilated body behind the building he works in. One of his friends and co-workers has been arrested for the murder and Michael takes it upon himself to get to the truth. His investigation leads him into a world fille
Meghan
Mar 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book had me on the edge of my seat. Well, a couple of chapters in it did. At first, it was a little frustrating and I just did not like the main character, Michael Doyle. He came across as a real wimp and I just could not see what was so interesting about him that I wanted to read a full story about him - parts of it is from his point of view. It took me a couple of days just to get through the first six chapters, which is very unusual for me. Not being able to just give up on a book, I con ...more
Sheila
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
John W. Mefford’s Fatal Greed offers a complex blend of raw sensuality, sharp violence, mystery, and even occasional unexpected godliness, all packaged around a seemingly meaningless murder. Corporate greed forms the background, with characters innocent and guilty drawn into a murderous web. The protagonist, with his job under threat and his girlfriend looking for commitment (possibly another threat), soon finds himself following the threads of loose ends, while some relationships fall apart and ...more
Ashley Tomlinson
I wasn't too sure how I was going to like this book. It's not something I would typically read or be interested in but I liked it. The characters were complex and some were even like-able. John Mefford has a unique way of writing that turned something I would normally not like into something that managed to grab my interest in chapter one.

Michael was a man that was afraid of commitment. He lived a normal life with a beautiful woman that adored him, until the day he learns the CEO's of his compan
Martin Pingree
Oct 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This turned out to be a great read. I thought it started kind of slow but it very quickly turned into a page turner. Great story line with interesting characters and enough action to keep you going to see how it ends ! Read it, you will enjoy it immensely !
Diane Galburt
Mar 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
FATAL GREED!

I am pretty sure that I haven't read John's books before but I am a fan for life now! Great characters and plots! You will not be disappointed; promise! Sincerely, Diane Galburt
Black Butterfly
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: ADULTS
Recommended to Black Butterfly by: BOOKBUB
Shelves: mysteries
DID NOT CARE FOR THE STORY LINE OR CHARACTERS, TOO MANY OF THEM. I JUST DID NOT LIKE THE WRITING STYLE IT FOR SOME REASON IT DID'NT HOLD MY INTEREST. ;[
Julie
Sep 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Fatal Greed by John W. Mefford is a 2014 publication. I was provided a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

The title of this book is certainly apt. While the story does get off to slow start, you will want to stick with it.

This story is one so many can relate to. Michael Doyle is blindsided when his company is bought out and a new regime will soon be in charge. If that weren't enough to grapple with, Michael stumbles upon a the body of a young woman who worked with the company. Bu
Mary Helen
Page turner 4.6/5 ⭐ ...more
Cindy
Dec 24, 2014 rated it really liked it

Favorite Quotes
“I heard the news, Michael,” Marisa said. “I’m so sorry Jeffrey and William sold out.” My shoulders sagged and my spine slumped, carving at least a couple of inches off my six-foot one-inch frame. I dropped my keys on the nearest table and put my head on Marisa’s shoulder, like an innocent child clinging to his sympathetic mother. “I know, I know.

“Oh, Doyle, you going to play that way?” She turned and wrapped one leg completely around my lower torso and kissed me passionately. She
Michele
Jun 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Greed is a terrible thing! This mystery/suspense novel by John W. Mefford the first in his Greed Series will take you on a journey to right several wrongs perpetrated by several very greedy individuals. They will stop at nothing to form the merger of a giant Indian company with a small North Texas oil company. Michael, a laid back kind of guy with definite commitment issues (just ask his long time girlfriend) has just found out about the merger and steps out for a breath of air where he finds so ...more
Pauletta Baker
Mar 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an awesome book. It has mystery, adventure, lies, who dunnit.....name it, it's in here. This is an adult book and for some people, there might be triggers. Please read the synopsis and warnings first. Readers safety is the most important.

Greed is exactly what this is all about. As you read this, you can see how this occurs in real life. Board members, directors, police, company heads, rich investors.....all for more, all for money. The adventure starts from a quote about greed. Chapter O
Leila
Jun 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
In the beginning, I almost felt like it was slow because I didn’t know what was going on, there wasn’t much action. I felt like the beginning was really more of a background description of sorts but quickly, I learned about the players of the game and figured there was something ‘fishy’ going on.

I wasn’t sure what the players were up to exactly, but that kept me turning the pages.

This book isn’t a mystery because you know who the game players are and you know their master plan, but you don’t hav
Julie Baswell
Jun 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Michael Doyle was an IT manager at J&W Technology Services. After learning that his employer would be merging with PHC, an international corporation, he accidentally discovers a mutilated body in the alley outside the office. The victim is a business acquaintance of his.

When his neighbor, who is also his coworker, is arrested and confesses to the murder, Michael tries to understand what is happening. With very little being published in the local newspaper, he meets with the editor, and Stu,
Andy Peloquin
Mar 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Michael Doyle is mid level management in a small financial company. His life begins to fall apart when the top brass announces they have sold out to an international conglomerate. Michael is sure he, and many of his friends will lose their jobs. His depression is cut short when he discovers the dismembered body of a coworker. Shocked out of his depression, he finds purpose investigating this gruesome murder. His trail leads to corrupt cops, blackmail, a cowed city government and more.
I found thi
Davidandkelley Crandall
Nov 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is unexpectedly exciting and true to life without all the added romance that tends to distract from the storyline. Although I was a little put off by the offensive language, I was intrigued and quickly engrossed in this first book of the series. Although greed is a subject not addressed commonly in books, I enjoyed how Mefford was able to accurately portray the consequences of it when Michael becomes involved in it.

This novel is full of mystery, suspense, and fascinating characters wh
Charles Ray
Aug 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When a big Indian company buys the small tech company where he works as an IT manager, Michael Doyle thought his biggest problem would be dealing with the inevitable layoffs and firings. When he finds the mutilated body in the alley, a young woman who worked for one of his company’s clients, he finds himself having a lot more to worry about—like staying alive.
Fatal Greed, a first novel in the Greed series by John W. Mefford, explores in graphic detail what can happen when corporate greed is comb
Gary Sedivy
Reasonable mystery, adequately written. The story about a few individuals who will do whatever it takes to make a lot of money, which includes many corrupt individuals, many civic officials who are immoral and easily sucked into a scheme and blackmailed. Unfortunately, quite a few people die, but thankfully it is not graphically described.
The killer is an ex-Marine, slightly insane (maybe not so slightly). The author takes a swipe at Vice President Dick Cheney, tying him to this crazed killer.
Dorothy Gagnon
Jun 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lust Breeds Death

Michael received the news that Jeffrey and William sold the business leaving his position in jeopardy and his plans with Marisa for the future, dim. The uncertainty of why the owners sold just as they started to grow, brought more questions than answers.

Then Michael slipped on a trash bag,and hit his head while searching to find a water leak in the company building. As he fell the trash bag opened revealing a body. He screamed as he stared at a mangled body bringing more havoc
My Book Addiction and More MBA
What a complicated book! An awesome beginning to a new and thrilling series. Filled with greed, mystery, suspense, and captivating characters. The storyline will draw you in and hold you there as you read this incredible tale. An awesome beginning to a new and tantalizing tale of greed and all that follows in it's wake. Well done! Readers of thrillers, suspense, and mystery are sure to delight in this fast paced tale. I was amazed at the author's concept of this story, the characters and the sub ...more
Roger
WOW! I read this book in a day! Yeah, it is that good! Not a typical plot, but very well developed. I'm a character reader, I get into the characters, their story, who/what they are. The author does an amazing job of developing the characters quickly & thoroughly. All the significant characters in his writing are developed similarly. This book is in all senses of the word, a thriller, a mysterious murder and corporate buy-out. That’s it, no more spoilers from me though I can see more about t ...more
Barbara
Jun 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m a fan of John Mefford so I looked forward to reading another of his books. This one didn’t disappoint me either. It’s about the corporate world and takeovers which leads into murder. There is a lot of mystery with a twisting plot and interesting characters. The main character, Michael Doyle, is well written and likable. As the takeover and layoffs begin you really feel for the guy and the name of the book is perfect for what happens.

I may have gotten the book for an honest review but another
Lynn Hallbrooks
Mar 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a mystery thriller with a touch of romance.

The main character, Michael Doyle, goes into work one day and finds out that his job is no longer secure. Not long afterwards, he discovers a dead body just outside his work place. The two events seem unrelated. Maybe they are and maybe they're not...you'll have to read all the way through to find out.

I really enjoyed reading this story. There is a lot going on and I kept reading to find out how it would all turn out.

Warning: This book is for M
Kevin Bowser
May 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this one because of the synopsis that was provided by the Author or Amazon. But the book didn't really line up with the synopsis the way that I thought it would.

Having said that, I still gave it 4 Stars. This was a well written book and made a great launching point for the "Greed" series. I will look for the remaining books in the series and try to work them in to the random reading pattern that mine tends to be.
Georgiann Hennelly
Michael Doyle works in mid level management for a small financial company. When the top brass announces they have sold the company to an international conglomerate, Michael's life begins to fall apart. He is sure he and his friends will lose their jobs. When he discovers the dismembered body of a coworker his depression is cut short. He finds purpose by investigating this gruesome murder. The trail leads to blackmail, corrupt cops, and more. A very well written. true to life story.
Pat Welte
Mar 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
John has certainly written an interesting book about the behavior that I see in the real world. How we went from a country that everyone wanted to come here, to one that many want to leave. Kept my interest through the entire book.
I would recommend this book and author to anyone that likes to read.
Thanks to John W. Mefford for the opportunity to read this book free in exchange for my honest review.
I will look for more books by this author.
Diane
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I tried to read through the whole book but only got about 35% of it finished. I felt that there were too many characters right at the beginning and the story was moving too slowly.

I did like one of the main characters - Michael Doyle but not enough to keep me reading.

Granted since I didn't read further maybe the story picked up some zest.

I did receive the kindle edition free from the author.
Doreen Keele
Sep 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good read

This novel most perfectly shows what people will do for love of money. From layoffs to murders it covers it all! But Michael , our hero, demonstrates the goodness inherent in most people and that is what keeps you reading. There are many twists and turns in this novel and I highly recommend reading it.
Pxipenguin
ran out of gas ........

The story has several fatal flaws, the character tells us that he is sick over the hatchet job done by the new company and, over and over again, he tells us this. It would not be a problem but the action is too slow and he tells us again and again. The ending is full of action but is totally unbelievable. I think that three stars is more than generous.
Mary
Jan 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is the first book I've read by this writer. I found it very interesting and it shows how conglomerate giants can take over companies and organizations with little regard for the well-being of the employees. This story also delves in deceit and murder and it held my interest throughout. I recommend this book to mystery readers, and I look forward to reading more of Mr. Mefford's books.
  • Targets of Revenge (Jordan Sandor #3)
  • The Hanging Tree
  • HOOKED
  • Retribution (Will Parker, #1)
  • Heart of Ice (Louis Kincaid, #11)
  • Fog City Strangler
  • Fatal Distraction (Jess Kimball Thriller #2)
  • Splicer
  • Masks of the Lost Kings
  • Breach of Power (Jake Pendleton #3)
  • Chasing the Wind
  • Caliber Detective Agency Case Files 1-6
  • The Weight of Guilt
  • Jaspar's War
  • Profile of Fear (Profile, #4)
  • The Gilded Cage (Surrender, #2)
  • She Speaks to Angels (AngelFire Chronicles, #1)
  • CSI Reilly Steel 3 Book Boxset
A veteran of the corporate wars, former journalist, and true studier of human and social behavior, John W. Mefford has been writing his debut novel since he first entered the work force twenty-five years ago, although he never put words on paper until late 2009.

John writes novels full of intrigue, suspense, and thrills, but they also evoke an emotional connection to the characters.

When he's not w

Greed (4 books)
  • Lethal Greed (Greed, #2)
  • Wicked Greed (Greed, #3)
  • Greed Manifesto (Greed, #4)
“tiny seed of doubt sprouting inside her gut. Could this life-altering affair be nothing more than a one-sided mirage? She couldn’t keep her journalistic instincts from attempting to connect dots. She recalled every possible aversion of her lover’s eyes, each word of affirmation that may not have been as sincere and heartfelt as the previous. And now this. Karina released an audible breath and brought her hand to her head. She felt the sharp edge of her one-quarter-karat, pear-shaped diamond engagement ring, and thought about Reinaldo, her Brazilian husband of the last ten years. There had been some good times … moments she’d always remember. But as she recalled the hikes up Pikes Peak, the mountainous bike rides, and games of pool while drinking a few beers, she admitted that Reinaldo had been nothing more than a friend—a convenient friend at that. But one who had helped her produce two kids, two adorable little rug rats. Would they ever look at Mommy the same way, if they found out who the real Karina was? When they found out. Karina couldn’t let her insecurities question her new path in life—a path she’d ignored far too long. Determined to make this relationship work, her mind sharpened, and she leaned over the side of the bed and snatched her smartphone from the back pocket of her khakis. No sweet text messages. She licked her lips, then scrolled to her contacts and tapped the cell number. “Hi, Karina. Miss me already?” the voice on the other end asked. Karina couldn’t help but smile. “I just wanted to hear your voice again before I packed up my things and strolled back into my old life.” “I know what you mean,” Karina’s lover said. “You don’t have a spouse and two kids,” Karina said with a tone more harsh than she’d intended. “Oh, sorry.” “Not a problem. I get it. I really do.” A wave of emotion overcame Karina. A single tear bubbled out of the corner of her eye and she sniffled. “Are you okay, dear?” “I …” “You can tell me, Karina. We share everything.” “I just wanted our evening together to be special. You mean so much to me … how I see myself. How I see our future.” “I’m so sorry my work got in our way. Just know that you hold a special place in my heart.” Karina could hear sincerity, which warmed her heart. “I love you.” “I love you too, Karina.” Muffled sounds broke Karina’s concentration. Was that another person’s voice? “What was that noise? Where are you?” Tension rippled up her spine. “Oh, I just walked in my door. I’m exhausted, dear. Let’s make plans for early next week. We can both relax and have some fun at my new place. We can talk about our future.” The pressure in Karina’s head eased. They kissed into” 0 likes
“down to her long, shapely legs. Unselfishly, she relieved my tension, and we cemented our loving bond. Spooning each other,” 0 likes