Start by marking “Evans to Betsy (Constable Evans Mysteries #6)” as Want to Read:
Evans to Betsy (Constable Evans Mysteries #6)

Evans to Betsy (Constable Evans #6)

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  1,104 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
The charming village of Llanfair, the setting for Rhys Bowen's beloved Constable Evans mysteries, sits amid lush, rolling Welsh meadows populated with quaint cottages and is considered by many of its colorful locals to be a kind of paradise. Unfortunately, there aren't many opportunities for young people in Llanfair, so when an exciting and glamorous American woman breezes ...more
Hardcover, First edition, 214 pages
Published March 14th 2002 by Minotaur Books (first published March 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Evans to Betsy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Evans to Betsy

Cybercrone
Getting a tad fed up with the protagonist's seeming inability to fend off ardent women. He's really coming off as a major simp in some of the books, but in this one for sure.

Otherwise a fun read.
Nancy Haddock
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm pretty crazy about this series as well as Ms. Bowen's others. I find Evan endearing and enjoy the other characters - and their "nicknames."
Wayne
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was glad to see that in this sixth installment of the Constable Evans series, Ms. Bowen managed to create a more interesting story than she did for volume five. Evans to Betsy shifts the story outside of the village of Llanfair but even with that, the concentration on local characters and their relationships with each other is front and center. Betsy the barmaid is the main subject in this book. We get to see her character fleshed out and moved away from the one-dimensional flirt she has been ...more
Michele
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Think you know New Age, Druidism and Celtic "powers"? Even though this is fiction, it was pretty enlightening on the subject. Again, great characters, plot twists you wouldn't expect, yet the happy ever after at the end never seems cheesy.
Diane L
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Charming, but fairly predictable
Suzi
Too harsh on pagans, yo.
Hannah
Apr 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable, as usual, although I found the mystery itself a bit mundane.
Jeannette
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another delightful little book. Mysteries, murder and some laughs.
Barbara
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love the Constable Evans books!
Alice
Added the romance label because o Evans decision to settle down and learn to live by himself.
Kathy Davie
Sixth in the Constable Evans mysteries series set in Llanfair, North Wales and revolving around Constable Evan Evans, the local policeman for the area.

The Story
Scam artists arrive in Wales and it takes a good while before we learn just why Emmy claims that Betsy has psychic powers and entices her into working at Sacred Grove, a New Age retreat that has just opened up. There are some benefits for the police in the scam in that it reopens the disappearance of a young American student. A coincidenc
Ed
#6 in the Evan Evans series. North Wales constable Evans is back and dealing with barmaid Betsy's aspirations to be a Celtic psychic. Though he finds it difficult to suspect her, Betsy was the only other person around when his girlfriend Bronwyn became deathly ill and Betsy woke him in the middle of the night with an uncannily accurate dream of the location of the American psychic's body.

Evan Evans series - Evan Evans takes on a case with New Age overtones. Betsy the barmaid has long been desper
June Ahern
Apr 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Skye in JuneA delightful mystery. My first time read of Rhys Bowen's books. I enjoyed the setting and characters, the mystery and the "new age" theme. Being Scottish I related to the ways of the Welsh but have never been to the country - yet! All in all, my reading experience was fun and the author had me going back and forth between who I thought "done it." I read mostly mystery/detective but have become sickened and tired of the gory details of murdered victims and "real life" situations - ...more
Sally
Aug 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
This was not the best of the Evan Evans stories I have read, but I give it 4 stars anyway, because it is still very smoothly written with a good plot, and because I enjoy the consistency of visiting Llanfair and the resident characters once again.

This time there is not as much description of the landscape and lifestyle of Wales, and the focus is more on the characters and the odd mystery surrounding the strange psychic "resort" and incorporation of Druid elements. There is a little progress made
Norma Huss
Jun 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I do love Constable Evan Evans! Unfortunately, many aren't in print, so I have to track down a used one, since my husband loves him too, and although some are in e-book, he has to have a real paper book.

Betsy is the bar maid, and this episode finds her mixed up with Druids and new age mystic stuff. Evans has moved out of his boarding house and trying to batch it, since Bronwyn (maybe my spelling is wrong), his steady girl insists he should learn how to take care of himself. He has been assigned
Ceejay
Feb 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Here is another excellent Constable Evan Evans mystery novel. As you can tell from the title, Betsy the barmaid from the Red Dragon pub plays a big part in this particular book. We get to learn a lot more about the young lady. In fact, when a New Age center opens near Llanfair, Betsy is told that she has psychic powers. How will the village react to a New Age center? How will the Llanfair churches handle the idea of a Druid preistess living nearby. What causes Evan's girlfriend, Bronwen to be ta ...more
Rachel
Jul 07, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
I had heard of the existence of "cozy mysteries" this past spring; now I finally understand what that means. There is murder in Bowen's depiction of small-town Welsh life, but it's just one event in the lives of the local constable and the other characters who populate the story. The depictions of life in Wales and the relationships between the inhabitants of the town make for an entertaining and fun diversion of a book.
Shauna
May 04, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This wasn't one of my favorite Evan books, but I still liked it. Evan is asked to investigate the disappearance of an American college student whose last communication with her parents leads him to a New Age center complete with psychics and a Druid priestess. The majority of the story takes place at this center, which keeps him out of the quaint village of Llanfair for most of the book. I prefer the installments that keep him in town more and interacting with the towns quirky residents.
Mark Baker
Mar 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2004, mystery
Betsy the barmaid is discovered to have psychic powers by a visiting American. Evan doesn't believe until Betsy shows up at his house with a vision of a dead body - a vision that turns out to be true. Does she truly have a gift? Another great read with a strong plot and charming characters.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Nick Sanders
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Again a classical whodunnit from Rhys Bowen. And again set around the quaint Welsh village of Chan-Veyer, or as they would write it: Llanfair. This time Evan tumbles into bed with Betsy, gets pursued by a druid, and might slowly be stumbling up the ladder of promotion. Unfortunately without Mrs Williams wonderful food, so we get some of Evan's hilarious adventures in the kitchen.
D. Eric
Oct 05, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
A fun if predictable mystery revolving around a New Age Spa. Evans also continues his quest to live life on his own to prove to Brownwyn that he is a worthy candidate for matrimony. Between it all, Betsy finds herself in danger and in possession of psychic powers, and it is up to Evans to save the day and solve the murders.
Mary Baker
Feb 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very clever book. Betsy is one of the delightful, recurring characters in this series which is set in a very small town in Wales. Because the police department is cutting back on expenses, Evans territory has been expanded; but, instead of having a clunker of a car to drive, he now has a motor cycle.
Lacey
Feb 13, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These are my favorite "English" mysteries. She makes them light, and airy. So, the mystery is there, but it is entertaining, not dark and sinister. I love how she portrays Welsh village life. These are great for light reading.
Emma
Jun 10, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am getting desperate, have nothing to read!
This was fun. I love Bowen's "Royal" series which is more my style, but this was a fun mystery with interesting twists and good outcome. Very much like MC Beaton's Hamish MacBeth series. Would be fun to listen to.
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
While I love learning the Welsh, love the romance and the mystery of the murders, I have to say, in this book I was not taken with Betsy and she was the main focus. It was cleverly written but took me longer to read.
Patricia
May 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another eventful time in North Wales with Constable Evans. I really did not read the Druid inserts because the author said they were not true. I could have done without them, in other words, and the book could have, too. I would give this 3.5 stars.
Carol
Apr 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Druids, Evans and Betsy, who could ask for more?
Deena
Oct 25, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, bosler
This one has more Betsy than Evan, let alone Bron. I don't like Betsy. I'll try another, but for me this was the most feeble one yet, so if the next one isn't better I'll probably give up.
Jen
Aug 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the best of the series so far.
Oct 22, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
Somewhat predictable, but I liked it pretty well. I liked all the information about the Druids.
  • Death of an Addict (Hamish Macbeth, #15)
  • Crouching Buzzard, Leaping Loon (Meg Langslow, #4)
  • A Parfait Murder (A Mystery a La Mode, #3)
  • Murder At Ebbets Field
"I'm a New York Times bestselling mystery author, winner of both Agatha and Anthony awards for my Molly Murphy mysteries, set in 1902 New York City.

I also write the Agatha-winning Royal Spyness series, about the British royal family in the 1930s. It's lighter, sexier, funnier, wicked satire. It was voted by readers as best mystery series one year.
I am also known for my Constable Evans books, set
More about Rhys Bowen

Constable Evans (10 books)
  • Evans Above (Constable Evans, #1)
  • Evan Help Us (Constable Evans, #2)
  • Evanly Choirs  (Constable Evans, #3)
  • Evan and Elle  (Constable Evans, #4)
  • Evan Can Wait (Constable Evans, #5)
  • Evan Only Knows (Constable Evans, #7)
  • Evan's Gate (Constable Evans, #8)
  • Evan Blessed (Constable Evans, #9)
  • Evanly Bodies (Constable Evans, #10)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Bricklayer (Steve Vail, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Among the Wicked (Kate Burkholder #8)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Snow Garden
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Almost Dead (Lizzy Gardner #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Fatal Frost (Dewberry Farm Mysteries, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Remains of Innocence (Joanna Brady, #16)
  • Outfoxed
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Huntress Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Last Witness (C.J. Townsend Thriller)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dead Weight (Lizzy Gardner #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Weekend Warriors (Sisterhood)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Eye for an Eye (Dewey Andreas, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Short Drop (Gibson Vaughn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • You Only Live Twice (James Bond, #12)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Thunderball (James Bond, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Casino Royale (James Bond, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Live and Let Die (James Bond, #2)
  • Dr. No
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Moonraker (James Bond, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Diamonds are Forever (James Bond)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Spy Who Loved Me (James Bond, #10)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • From Russia With Love (James Bond, #5)
  • The Blinds
  • Little Boy Lost
  • Blonde Faith
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Deadly Business
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Private Justice (Newpointe 911, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Cutting Room (C.J. Townsend Thriller Book 3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • First to Kill (Nathan McBride, #1)
  • In the Barren Ground
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Blood Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Lie In Wait (Canaan Crime #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Legacy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Her Final Breath (Tracy Crosswhite, #2)
  • The Taxidermist's Daughter
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Depraved Heart (Kay Scarpetta, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Standing in Another Man's Grave (Inspector Rebus, #18)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • In the Clearing (Tracy Crosswhite, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cop Hater (87th Precinct, #1)
  • The Jekyll Revelation
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Book of Beloved
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
  • Afterlife
  • The Vines
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Obsessed (Lizzy Gardner #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • River's Edge (Cape Refuge Series, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Pedigree To Die For (A Melanie Travis Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
  • Tell the Truth, Shame the Devil
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kane and Abel (Kane and Abel, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bone Music (Burning Girl, #1)
  • In the Blue Hour
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cold Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #3)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Stirred (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels #8)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Raven Black (Shetland Island, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Trapped Girl (Tracy Crosswhite, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Neon Lawyer (Brigham Theodore, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Coyote Waits (Navajo Mysteries, #10)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Sinister Pig (Navajo Mysteries, #16)
    $9.74 $1.99
  • The Kept Woman (Will Trent #8)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Snowblind (Dark Iceland #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Medicine (V.I. Warshawski, #4)
    $8.49 $1.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
  • Playing Dead
  • Look Behind You
  • Where the Memories Lie
    $4.99 $1.99
  • White Nights (Shetland Island, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Close to Home (Tracy Crosswhite, #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Fields of Wrath (Luis Chavez, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Three (Codename: Chandler, #3)
  • The Hollow Men: A Novel
    $15.95 $1.99
  • What She Doesn't Know
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Pope of Palm Beach: A Novel (Serge Storms)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Night Bird (Frost Easton, #1)
  • Flood (Burke, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Pretty Little Killers (The Keepers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The House of Memory (Pluto's Snitch #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Evil Never Dies (Lizzy Gardner, #6)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Twisted Root (William Monk, #10)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Red Road (Alex Morrow #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Last Detective (Peter Diamond, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Darkness, My Old Friend
  • Retribution
  • The Woman in the Window
    $13.99 $3.99
  • Duplicity
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Widowmaker (Mike Bowditch #7)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Bones Don't Lie (Morgan Dane #3)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Remember Me Like This
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Penance
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Cold Harbor (Gibson Vaughn, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • On Her Majesty's Secret Service (James Bond, #11)
  • Neighborly
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Targeted (Callahan & McLane, #4)
  • The Drowning
    $15.95 $1.99
  • The Second Girl
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Spree (Codename: Chandler #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Chilled (Bone Secrets, #2)
  • Silent Victim
  • In Farleigh Field
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dying to Tell (Slaughter Creek, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonfeather (Gibson Vaughn, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Dark Mind (Lizzy Gardner #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Thunder of Heaven (The End Series, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Time Heals No Wounds (Baltic Sea Crime #1)
  • The Good Samaritan
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Looking Glass  (The Naturalist #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • My Sister's Grave (Tracy Crosswhite #1)