Start by marking “Get It Ripe: A Fresh Take on Vegan Cooking and Living” as Want to Read:
Get It Ripe: A Fresh Take on Vegan Cooking and Living

Get It Ripe: A Fresh Take on Vegan Cooking and Living

Get It Ripe is a vegan cookbook for the twenty-first century with an emphasis on holistic living and whole food (i.e. unprocessed and unrefined) ingredients. Jae Steele is a registered holistic nutritionist; she has also been a professional vegan baker and has worked on an East Coast organic farm. Her life experiences and her love of vegan whole foods are at the heart of G ...more
Published April 1st 2008 by Arsenal Pulp Press

To ask other readers questions about Get It Ripe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Get It Ripe

AJ
Feb 10, 2010 rated it liked it
Get It Ripe is pretty thorough in that it covers more than what most cookbooks do. The first few chapters cover things such as organic vs. conventional food; different types of flours, beans and rice; good types of stores to shop at (co-ops, health food stores, farmer's markets); nutrients in common foods; and how to cleanse / detox.

The book is big on using whole grains and not using any refined sugars. So don't buy this book if you like using your white flour or don't have things such as agave
Pamela
Jun 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Jae Steele is all about whole foods, low sugar, and flexible recipes that allow for gluten-free, nightshade-free, and other -free modifications, as well as opening a can of beans when you didn't get to the overnight soaking. I appreciate Steele's approach to recipe ingredients, like using spelt flour in baked goods because it's less likely to cause gluten tolerance problems than the standard wheat flour, and including a variety of main vegan entrees that don't depend on tofu or other soy product ...more
Rukshana
Feb 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: food
This book is awesome! Full of great, simple-to-make recipes and her food aesthetic is very similar to my own. Lots of useful information in the first few chapters about micronutrients, essential pantry items and cookware, and guidelines for eating and living healthfully. Steele's advice helps you to start creating a vegan lifestyle and build your kitchen without a lot of fuss. I especially liked her tips on her "ideal" diet, which I think is a great guideline. I've been trying to follow it. Defi ...more
Beetsobriety
Feb 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
I really like this book. It's got a decent intro for those who are curious about this and that about going vegan, organic, whole food-centric, etc, but doesn't go on in any great detail about anything. There are useful guides to vegan baking, pantry buildign, bean cooking, etc etc. The recipes are delicious (for the most part), the photos make you want to eat the page and her classifications (soy free, gluten free, nightshade free, raw) are super useful. Highly recommended!
Adrienne
Mar 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks, canadian
I picked up this cookbook as I was browsing through our town's new library branch. I have been looking to explore meatless meal options.

Very happy to report that the first recipes I made are total WIN and that they are going into my recipe collection to be loved and cherished: her hummus and these flax maple cookies. I look forward to trying more of Jae's recipes this week.
Andie
Oct 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was my first (and is still my favourite) vegan cookbook. Jae Steele offers advice, techniques, and clear instructions for cooking and eating vegan. Her banana muffin and apple crisp recipes have become my go-to, and the book as a whole has really encouraged my culinary adventurousness. A great, well-written guide to a healthy, vegan lifestyle!
Amy
Jun 24, 2008 rated it liked it
i'm still an omnivore although i think a bit more about what i eat and where it comes from. i have liked all the recipes i have tried. and i have found the only way i will eat and enjoy collard greens that aren't made with pork fat!
Erin
Jan 28, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Vegans
Enjoyed the first few chapters that talk about nutrition and the ethics of being vegan. Rocco's Granola and Cowgrrrl Cookies were great. Wasn't as excited about the main dish recipes as I was about the baked goods.
Kathi
Jan 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: vegans, vegan wannabe, vegetarians,
One of my favorite vegan cookbooks. Full of useful lifestyle and health information. And great recipes. Jae Steele is awesome. Also contains recipes that are marked gluten-free, soy-free, nightshade-free, and raw/living.
Sps
Feb 13, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Yay for nutrition, digestion, and concern for the origins of your food. I didn't get a chance to try many recipes, but the white beans+greens soup was tasty and hearty.
Jyoderdc
Mar 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I'm not planning on going vegan, but the first third of this book does an excellent job of explaining nutrition and all the recipes I've tried so far have been delicious.
Alexis
Oct 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010
I really like Jae Steele's books because they are so holistic and have such useful information. I learned a lot about food from reading this book.
Nina
Mar 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Everything from this book has been an absolute knockout!
Annette
Dec 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Excellent book! Great recipes and lots of health info. Quite a few raw recipes too! Love it!
Teacherturtle7
Katy Hill
Jan 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Vegan Vittles: Recipes Inspired by the Critters of Farm Sanctuary
  • Hot Damn and Hell Yeah! Recipes for Hungry Banditos and the Dirty South Vegan Cookbook
  • Spork-Fed: Super Fun and Flavorful Vegan Recipes from the Sisters of Spork Foods
  • Home-Cooked Vegan Comfort Food: More Than 200 Belly-Filling, Lip-Smacking Recipes
  • Vegan Junk Food: 225 Sinful Snacks that are Good for the Soul
  • The Indian Vegan Kitchen: More Than 150 Quick and Healthy Homestyle Recipes
  • The Real Food Daily Cookbook: Really Fresh, Really Good, Really Vegetarian
  • Party Vegan: Fabulous, Fun Food for Every Occasion
  • Bake and Destroy: Good Food for Bad Vegans
  • Yellow Rose Recipes
  • Vegan Eats World: 300 International Recipes for Savoring the Planet
  • Vegan Food Gifts: Spread the Vegan Love DIY-Style with 100 Inspired Recipes for Homemade Baked Goods, Preserves, and Other Edible Gifts Everyone Will Love
  • Vegan Italiano: Meat-free, Egg-free, Dairy-free Dishes from Sun-Drenched Italy
  • Cookin' Crunk: Eatin' Vegan in the Dirty South
  • The 30-Minute Vegan: Over 175 Quick, Delicious, and Healthy Recipes for Everyday Cooking
  • The Great Vegan Bean Book
  • Vegan A Go-Go!: A Cookbook & Survival Manual for Vegans on the Road
  • Wild About Greens: 125 Delicious Recipes from Hearty Soups & Stews to Succulent Sautes & Smoothies